Author Topic: University and all that jazz  (Read 7774 times)

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
University and all that jazz
« on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 11:51:52 AM »
Well I'm now in third year, and holy CRAP the workload has exponentially increased. I'm looking at 500+ pages of reading a week... and I need to find a job on top of that.

Also, I really hate it when you're in a discussion group for a class and there is just one person who talks the entire time. I mean, I like putting in my two cents just like everyone else, but if you've been talking and talking, why not let other people have a crack at it before you smother everyone.

That is all...

Anyone else feelin the woe of being back at school?
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline ren

• Veteran
Re: University and all that jazz
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 12:58:17 PM »
I just started my final year of high school. So far it seems like this will be my easiest year yet, so woe isn't quite what I'm feeling.

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 01:10:09 PM »
First day of third year today.
My courses seem interesting, and my schedule is fairly good considering my program (electrical engineering).

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 01:23:02 PM »
Well I'm now in third year, and holy CRAP the workload has exponentially increased. I'm looking at 500+ pages of reading a week... and I need to find a job on top of that.

Also, I really hate it when you're in a discussion group for a class and there is just one person who talks the entire time. I mean, I like putting in my two cents just like everyone else, but if you've been talking and talking, why not let other people have a crack at it before you smother everyone.

That is all...

Anyone else feelin the woe of being back at school?

Send him anonymous e-mails telling him to shut the fuck up.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 01:26:06 PM »
I sure am.  This is my first year at college and I am overwhelmed.  Mainly, Russian class is killing me.  My major requires 2 years of foreign language, but I am pretty sure that I am going to drop Russian and do a different language. 

Spent twice as long doing my Russian as on all of my other homework combined.  Don't know if that is quite normal.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »
I sure am.  This is my first year at college and I am overwhelmed.  Mainly, Russian class is killing me.  My major requires 2 years of foreign language, but I am pretty sure that I am going to drop Russian and do a different language. 

Spent twice as long doing my Russian as on all of my other homework combined.  Don't know if that is quite normal.

getting drunk on vodka doesnt count as homework, dude.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 01:44:07 PM »
Man am I glad I'm through with University. Socially I loved University, academically it was crap! I swear it was like an expensive daycare! They just dump things on us and leave, they don't actually teach us anything! With the exception in the occasional studio course every other semester.

The only things I learned in University are Spanish (primarily from my friends, and an elective course I took), and that being a Professor is a goldmine job: do bare minimum and earn a Hell of an income just for the title! Other than that everything I know I learned on my own time. I really didn't need to pay $10,000 CDN per year for an education, just for a piece of paper that says I have one.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 02:06:10 PM »
4th year... so far it's looking to be a relatively moderate year.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 05:27:07 PM »
Junior year in college as well. It really depends on your major as to your workload it seems. Second year as a bio major was 20x harder than this year as a journalism major. Last semester was my first semester as a journalism major and I drank 6-7 days a week.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 05:33:53 PM »
I feel the woe of being unable to go to school because I'm too stupid.  So I say woe is knowing you'll be stuck in a dead-end job that you hate for the rest of your life instead of actually getting to do something that might make you happy.

Eh.  So yeah, school sucks.  I sure as hell don't miss it.  But hopefully all your hard work will pay off, right?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 02:18:28 AM »
The world is my school and i hate most of my teachers.

University wasn't very exciting when I was there. I don't miss it at all.

I've learnt more the last year than i've learnt in all my years in uni.
Taken.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 08:34:32 AM »
The world is my school and i hate most of my teachers.

University wasn't very exciting when I was there. I don't miss it at all.

I've learnt more the last year than i've learnt in all my years in uni.
Ditto. That's how I felt.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 09:10:15 AM »
I love the IT program I'm in.  Not much reading or papers, just lots of projects, which are interesting.  Some exams.

As far as learning, I learn a great deal in some classes and almost nothing in others.  Depends on the professor.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 09:40:38 AM »
I'm actually enjoying my uni this year... there really isn't much woe to be honest. I may be working as a research assistant this year with one of my professors.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...