Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire  (Read 11006 times)

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Sins of a Solar Empire
« on: Thursday, February 14, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sinsofasolarempire/review.html

Hmm a glowing review. This game certainly seems interesting. I might have to pick this up.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Sins of a Solar Empire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 14, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »
I've sorta been watching this given it is what it is (space ships blowing each other apart). Penny Arcade has been gushing over it for a few days now as well. I am a little sad it didn't end up including full 3D combat, but it seems no one is willing that tackle that beast anymore.

Hopefully a demo will come out. If it ran well enough on my system I'd probably consider picking it up sooner than later.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 14, 2008, 04:37:01 PM »
Been following this for a few months now. The PC Gamer and GFW podcasts have been raving about it. I am surprised this is the first mention of it here. Apparently the game can take 8 hours for a single campaign if you choose a large map.

edit:

Mean match, not campaign.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 10:47:31 AM by Pugnate »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 14, 2008, 08:40:04 PM »
I'm interested, but don't really have the time.  Being a fan of GalCiv this one immediately caught my attention, but there's another expansion coming out for GalCiv 2, I heard, sooo...

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 10:44:27 AM »
Hey Sy, what do you mean no 3D combat?  I'm confused as to what you mean.  That looks like 3D combat to me, unless you meant it's mostly a flat playing field as opposed to a full spherical environment in which attacks from above and below are possible.  If that's the case, it looks like from that video that it's disguised pretty well at least.  The combat looks gorgeous.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »
From what I read, the game looks like ass zoomed in, but at a distance does look quite good. I am really thinking about getting this. Apparently it is selling beyond expectations, and stardock have a lot of good will from their fans.

The LAN rules are relaxed as well, so I can definitely play with my sis on Sundays. It is one of those 4X titles, so will interest Civilization fans. Also something cool is that it allows you to save multiplayer matches, which is actually sensible.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »
It kind of has to since a medium-sized game, according to GSpot, can take around 8 hours.  It's kind of a meshing between a traditional 4X game like GalCiv and an RTS.  So it's a slow-moving RTS with lots more focus on strategy and much more detailed systems that you ever seen in an RTS.  That sounds like a winning combo to me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
Yea it is apparently one of those ultra hardcore RTS games that is so slow, even casual fans seem to be able to get into it.

I was listening to the producer, Blair Fraser, being interviewed on the PCG podcast. He said the original plan wasn't to allow multiplayer saves, and it was actually just a feature for beta testers. But then one tester suggested that they include the feature for the actual game, and it was basically a *smack your head* moment for them.

I am going to go for it. Now I need to decide between regular and CE.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 12:08:01 PM »
It doesn't sound like the CE is anything to write home about.  The game is cheaper at retail too, so I'll likely get it there if I feel like I can spare the funds (though I don't think I can just now since I just dropped $60 on DMC4).

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 01:32:56 PM »
Huh. That's a lot more 3D's than what I was seeing in other stuff, although I wonder how much control you actually have.

It's not really that big of deal considering you have all the empire stuff to take care of as well. Damn it, that video just made me want it more.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »
Plus it has multiplayer.  We could totally play.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »
I am totally down for multi player with this.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 02:46:38 PM »
Just picked it up.  Installing now.  Impressions to follow.

EDIT - It should be noted that I picked this up at a store.  I love Stardock's online distribution program (it's nothing like Steam... almost kind of lame in comparison, but that's why I like it - streamlined, simple, easy, unintrusive, leaves control with the user, does everything super-fast, never gave me any error of any kind), but it's an extra five bucks to get it there, plus an extra $10 if you want a boxed copy (and it's another $10 on top of that for shipping, which is ridiculous... it wasn't like that for GalCiv, so I dunno' what's up).  That edition is the "CE", which really doesn't seem to have much beyond the usual crap you get with a game... but that's more than the retail comes with.  Retail box is just a DVD case with a big, pretty nice manual.  CE I think has a quickref sheet, a music CD, and some posters or something.  Definitely not enough to make it worth an extra $20.  This is the first time Stardock has ever made me raise an eyebrow that way.  Still, at least retail is cheap, and the box isn't a shitty box with a CD slip in it and no manual.  So not bad at all for $40.  Plus I'm sure I can register it in Stardock Central after installation and then get future updates and stuff from the program if I so desire.  It's nice to have that option when it's an option.  I like having a hard copy of my game, but that's more for emergencies or if my net connection is fucked up or something... I've installed GalCiv 2 and the expansion from Stardock Central all the times I've installed it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 02:54:51 PM »
Holy crap, that looks really cool and would probably get me to play a RTS game.  I'll keep my eye out for a demo to see if I'll enjoy it though first, since I've never been a fan of RTS games.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 03:01:48 PM »
I too have picked this up. I'm going to play the single player first and learn how to play. Be warned though because soon my vaunted fleets will be laying siege to your homeworlds. I'd like to hear some lamentations from your women when this happens.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 03:03:52 PM »
I think you would really need to be more of a 4X fan than an RTS fan with this.  Looking at the box, the whole real-time thing seems more focused on just removing turns from the game, but otherwise it maintains a greater similarity to other 4X games than RTS games, just maybe with an increased combat focus.  And I thought there was a demo listed in SDC, but since I have the game installed now it isn't on the list.  And I don't see one at the website, so maybe there isn't.

Anyway, I just registered it with SDC and am updating it now, so once I play for an hour or so I'll see what gives.  I know idol was kind of curious but the RTS thing puts him off a bit as well.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 03:12:55 PM »
Well I was about to buy it online then I realized that I can't run it. :(

I like their website, though - http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/store.aspx

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 05:22:40 PM »
I've been in it a few hours, and I gotta' say I'm impressed as hell.  Loaded it up and it seemed to have a clean interface, attractive enough... got into some tutorials, and it very concisely explained a lot of stuff (which shouldn't be hard to figure out for anyone that's played this kind of game before).  But at the same time, while it seemed simple and easy, it seemed like there was a ton of options to the point where you could easily get overwhelmed.  In practice, though, my first game is indeed moving at a very, very slow pace.  This is in real-time, but the only thing that manages to do is make the combat feel a lot better and more interesting than something like GalCiv.  Otherwise the game is very comfortably a 4X game, and even in combat it isn't like you get rushed and suddenly you're dead.  There's lots of time in which to gather your forces, try to regroup, make adjustments.  Even a small frigate getting totally pounded didn't just instantly die when up against a capital ship.  Of course, it didn't take long to die, but you do watch the opposing forces physically have to focus attack from ship to ship and move down the line, slowly but steadily taking out the enemy... it isn't just a blitz.

Everything else seems fairly robust.  Lots of stuff to build and research, slow pace to gear up and get better, and lots of little things to focus your attention on as you do it.  It very much feels like GalCiv without turns and with a tradeoff of less diplomacy in exchange for more and better combat options.  Also there's no custom ship building or anything like that, so ultimately this does have a streamlined feel to it, but just less so than you'd expect when you see "real-time strategy" in there.  It's a really nicely done combination that's satisfying on multiple levels, and while it isn't a graphical powerhouse, it does actually look quite good, seems like it would probably scale pretty well, and there are moments when the sound and art design come together to deliver quite a whallop.  Combat looks competent when you've got a few ships, but it's really nothing to write home about, but when you actually get a decently-sized force (and I'm not talking huge, I've only been in one fight that consisted of more than 8 ships or so, and this was my capital ship + 5 frigates vs. maybe 7-10 small ships on the other side) things can look pretty remarkable.  The capital ships are especially cool, as you'd imagine, and the battle sounds have some really nice touches that bring things to life.  Orbital bombardment is a bit lame because the textures on the planets don't look so great up close, but some of the deep impact sounds are alarmingly fun, and aside from the textures it seems like you really do get a nice feeling of punch from most of the animations of larger guns and stuff.  Despite those few textural issues here or there, the ships themselves actually look quite good up close.  Not super high poly, but the textures are good, there are lots of little details (watching the capital ships fire is fun), the lighting model is nice, and the models seem to make good use of every poly instead of being wasteful.

So yeah, color me impressed.  I haven't even done much yet and I'm having a really good time.  This is, in some ways, the game I hoped GalCiv 2 would be (particularly the addition of multiplayer).  It's also fortunate that the two don't negate each other, though.  There are more defensive/cultural/diplomatic options in GalCiv, and of course it's just a bit "bigger" on the overall strategic scope.

Anyway, all the good press definitely seems warranted.

EDIT - Pretty much nothing to say except that it's been more of the same fun stuff.  I can't imagine how crazy it gets on really huge maps... even this tiny one I'm playing on *feels* really big, which is a nice change of pace.  Games like this often don't nail scope, but this one feels pretty bang-on.

I found a video review on YouTube, and as terrible as those things can be, this guy actually demonstrates quite nicely in a 10-minute review why the game is so cool, why it's really still a 4X game at heart and not a hardcore RTS, and all the video stuff shows you practically anything you could be curious about, from menus to gigantic battles the size of which I haven't even experienced in relative fractions.  It's well worth watching if you want to get a good feel for the game.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 07:41:06 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 08:03:55 PM »
QUEMAQUA!!!!

TOO LONG HAVE YOUR INSOLENT PEOPLE INSULTED MY BURGEONING EMPIRE.

LET US MEET ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE AND I SHALL LAY WASTE TO YOUR WORLDS.

/end RP
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 08:04:18 PM »
But srsly we should play.. maybe a game against the AI?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 08:39:46 PM »
I could definitely be down with that.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 09:16:32 PM »
But srsly we should play.. maybe a game against the AI?

YOU TEAM UP WITH THIS HEATHEN?!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »
I'm Quemaqua (no wai!) on Ironclad Online for anybody who gets the game and wants to add me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, February 16, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 12:08:30 AM »
QUEMAQUA!!!!

TOO LONG HAVE YOUR INSOLENT PEOPLE INSULTED MY BURGEONING EMPIRE.

LET US MEET ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE AND I SHALL LAY WASTE TO YOUR WORLDS.

/end RP

You mean:

I SHALL LAY WASTE TO YOUR ARMIES IN 12 MAYBE 16 HOURS.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 12:25:24 AM »
This. Game.  Is.   Fucking.     Epic.

I just beat my first game, and it was just a small 1v1 map... but holy crap that was some epic stuff.  The final battle between my entire massed warfleet and the other guy's remaining defense forces was just unbelievable.  It's like I can die happy.  Except I didn't die, the other guy did... in a horrendous, fiery maelstrom of xenophobic genocide.

:-*

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 12:38:05 AM »
Awww, Que is all happy and stuff. All it took was massive death and destruction. Who would've known?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 12:40:41 AM »
I thought this was scientifically proven to be impossible!

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 12:44:26 AM »
One of you bastards better update when a demo comes out, I want to give this a shot.  I'm all for some epic space battles.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 01:44:53 AM »
Gods damn it, I think I'm going to buy this. We better all play, especially since we can actually save games.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 01:45:45 AM »
Buy it tomorrow and you can play with me and keebs.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 02:15:02 AM »
Won't do me a whole lot of good, however, since I'll be working most of the day. I might grab it after work or something though. I've got a Best Buy coupon that'll make it a smidgen cheaper.

This is also bad, I'm looking at upgrading the old video card. There's only so much you can do with an AGP slot these days it seems. Thankfully that means it won't be horribly expensive, but I'm pretty sure I can't justify the expense.

Edit: Well, it really looks like there isn't a  good upgrade option. Lame. Guess my system will just have to stand on it's own for a while longer.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 02:25:19 AM »
Yeah, AGP has gone by the wayside all but entirely now.

One thing I should mention: the game does have some bugs.  I was getting an error with my vid drivers, and apparently the easy fix is to just turn off bloom... but nvidia hasn't addressed the issue yet.  Also, I just got a crash from a so-called "mini-dump", whatever that is.  It doesn't appear to be horrible, since the particularly bad driver crash has the easy fix, but those with zero tolerance might want to give it a week or two to see if the kinks get worked out quickly.

EDIT - Oh, also I forgot to mention that the game has achievements, which is pretty cool.  I've done 16% of them so far, which is only like 4 or 5, and that's mostly just because they were easy (and because I got some fairly high numbers in terms of resources during my first very easy game).  Some of them look like they'd be quite a challenge.

EDIT x2 - Just finished my third game.  First was a 1v1 against the computer on easy, and I won.  It wasn't too hard.  Second was me and a normal CPU ally against an easy and normal cpu opponent team.  I didn't actually finish it, but we were *really* losing.  A lot of it was because I kept getting outbid on the pirates and was subsequently fucked up pretty bad.  I just threw in the towel because while there was still some hope of recovery, it would have been a long haul and pretty much entirely me riding the coattails of my ally until he gave up on me and killed me or something.  I'm not sure if he can really do that or not, but he did think me stupid enough at one point to drop our alliance.  I don't know what the point is with setting teams if the other guy can just choose to call you a dick and do his own thing...

Anyway, my last game lasted 6 and a half hours.  It was a 3-player FFA, me and 2 easy cpu opponents.  The map was neat because it was just a basic starting star and its planets, then there was a planet called "Gateway" which lead to the star itself, which is the only jumping off point to the second system, which was smaller but full of goodies.  So the idea was whoever controlled that planet had access to the 2nd system and the most resources.  I spent at least half the game just trying to keep my 2 opponents at bay, hoping they hadn't made it to the system before me.  It was actually a bit annoying for a while because they were just harassing the living crap out of me, blowing stuff up when they could and then scooting away to someplace else, never doing any real damage but keeping me too busy with my infrastructure to really go after them.  I started with one fleet which wasn't enough, got 2 which still wasn't, and then managed to get all my choke points covered with about 3.  Then that got rough so I built another (I was broke this entire game, trying desperately to find the resources to cover all my bases), and that did the trick for the most part.

Then the stronger of the two came at me full force, we both lost a lot of units, but ultimately I sent him packing.  I guess I had fought the weaker guy enough so that he couldn't really retaliate in force, and because of the fact that the game has "missions" that pop up for every other cpu player (basically if you do something for them, i.e. give them money, kill an enemy's structures, kill a certain number of an enemy's ships, they'll like you better), the stronger guy got happy enough to form a treaty with me.  So I got peaceful with him and used that opportunity to just lay out the weaker guy.  I was a little worried at doing this since I didn't want to give the stronger dude license to just rifle through my territory and such, but after we ended up establishing all the closest forms of communication, I saw that my military strength was far beyond his.  So he helped me dismantle the remnants of the other guy's forces, I took the Gateway planet and made it to the other system (which my buddy explored for me but didn't colonize), and then I just took everything over and finally started making some decent money.

When we destroyed the last holding of the weaker guy, my ally basically told me to go to hell and die (I think the only way to actually win here is by decimating everyone else... pretty much just like an RTS, despite how different the game is), so his two remaining fleets had to take on my 3 (I had to combine 2 and 4 due to heavy losses).  By the end of the game I had 5 fleets and like 6 capital ships flying all over the map trying to chase down his scattered forces who just ran their asses off whenever they could.  It was great.

So yeah, the game has some quirks, but in the end it really does manage to be an interesting mix of stuff.  It's very, very hard to stop playing.  I think it was a box quote from some magazine or something that talked about how the game was like a good turn-based strategy game in that you just want to play one more turn, but since there are no turns you just sort of never stop.  That seems to be quite accurate.  I played the thing for like 8 hours today, and I keep hoping someone else will pick it up so we can all play tonight.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 17, 2008, 10:21:21 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 02:23:27 PM »
I havent spent as much time with the game as id like but i got a few in last night..

Fucking pirate attacks keep fucking my shit up!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 02:53:28 PM »
Yeah, those can be scary.  They aren't generally too ridiculously hard to repel, but then you've got other people to worry about at the same time (though fortunately pirates seem to hate everyone equally, so even if they're attacking you specifically, if somebody else comes into the system they'll attack them too).

Also, I figured out a few things last night - it appears that you can start anyone as teams but it just affects how much people like you at the start.  If you want actual strictly set teams it looks like you can use a team lock option at the start of the game which keeps everyone on the same page indefinitely.  I may try that my next game, see how it goes with teams.

Reading the forums a bit and having experimented with two of the factions, I can say the different races are very different.  They seem similar in that most of their ships have somewhat similar roles (you always seem to have a regular fighter frigate, a long-range attack frigate, a scout, a colonizer, a cruiser that supports lots of tiny fighters/bombers, etc.), but in actuality these turn out to be really different in that they often relate to the tech tree in different ways or do more/less damage, cost more/less resources, etc.

The tech trees for each race are also quite different.  It feels like a standard 4X game, but not everyone is working with the same tech, and this makes a really, really huge difference in terms of how you build your initial economy.  The reason I was broke in game #3 was because I didn't realize that the strategy I used before with the TEC wasn't going to work with the Advent.  I didn't build trade stations and such until way, way late for the TEC, but they have a strong economy pretty much without effort.  Doing the same with the Advent was a mistake because I was constantly broke.  No inherently strong economy, hence trade ports probably should have been more of a priority.  As it was I did well harvesting resources, but I had to sell tons of them just to keep up my cash reserves.

Lastly, I've read around a bunch of forums and it seems that each race is definitely unique because I've heard fairly well thought out and legitimate-sounding complaints from numerous people about how a race is overpowered... but I've heard these reports for every race, and some equally legit-sounding refutations detailing ways of getting around seemingly unstoppable tactics.  So it seems like you really can find some good strategies to use here which do require thought and planning, and I suspect actually watching a match between two really talented, experienced players would be something cool despite the slower pace.  This stuff goes well beyond the usual rock-paper-scissors mentality; it isn't always a matter of "spam ship type X to counter opponent's fleet of ship type Y".  Capital ships can make a huge difference in terms of what you have them paired with and how their individual roles in battle affect the rest of a fleet, and exploiting weaknesses is more difficult than just looking at the enemy and trying to build simple countermeasures.  And while this would be a total bitch to keep up with in a fast game, the pace is slow enough to allow you time to actually respond to pressure.  It isn't just "oh shit, I'm dead, what now?", because production happens fairly quickly in direct comparison with fleet movement and combat.  You can't build another fleet in the space of a battle or anything, but if you have a factory near enough to a battle, it's fully possible to build and send in reinforcements before you're completely decimated, especially if you retreat and the opposing force takes a short while to follow you.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 03:02:03 PM »
I can repel the pirate ships easily but it takes some time for my fleet to get there. While my fleet is in transit though, their siege ships usually manage to kill everyone on my planet.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 03:05:36 PM »
Yeah.  It's all but impossible to defend against heavy bombardment, and the cpu seems to enjoy bringing lots of bombing frigates along almost all the time, pirates or not.  Best thing to do is realize where the pirates are coming from and try to get over there if you know you're going to be attacked.  It takes them a bit to mobilize, and they do have a physical planet that they own, hence they tend to attack the same targets frequently because they happen to be nearby.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
I'm becoming more and more interested in this game after looking at reviews.  It looks like it has all the aspects of an RTS game, but its more turned based and not a boring "how fast you can click things" game, which is the experience I've had with most RTS games I've tried.  I still want to try a demo though, hopefully one will come out soon.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #38 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »
Yeah, reading this thread really makes me want to try the demo out, even though I technically don't meet the minimum requirements. But maybe it will work anyways.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #39 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 04:52:45 PM »
What requirements are you failing with?  They aren't super steep, and most people seem to indicate that it scales well (except for the apparent problems with the current nvidia drivers which are screwing with some people).