Author Topic: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition  (Read 45083 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
« Reply #200 on: Monday, March 29, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »
To be fair you played Dragon Age on the PS3, and not for very long it seems... but The Witcher is a pretty good game.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #201 on: Monday, March 29, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »
To be fair you played Dragon Age on the PS3, and not for very long it seems... but The Witcher is a pretty good game.

You know pug that is a fair point.  Now that I've got a better than decent video card in my system I will probably give the PC version a shot once it drops in price.  The first few hours just did not grab me like The Witcher did though, all technical problems aside.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #202 on: Monday, March 29, 2010, 11:47:08 AM »
I concur.  It's definitely one of the best RPGs I've played in a long, long time.  It maddens me that I never finished it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #203 on: Monday, March 29, 2010, 12:00:10 PM »
All my life I've been looking for a game that rewards you for having copious amounts of sex with random women (with no strings attached, apparently).

That void has been filled.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #204 on: Monday, March 29, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
All my life I've been looking for a game that rewards you for having copious amounts of sex with random women (with no strings attached, apparently).

That is the game of life. :P

Also, what card did you get? You could always sell your PS3 copy of Dragon Age.

As for The Witcher... I have to get back to it for sure.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #205 on: Monday, March 29, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »

That void has been filled.

(click to show/hide)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #206 on: Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 06:28:19 AM »
So I started up the game last night with the intentions of playing through a quest or two and ended up just spending an hour and a half playing dice poker.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #207 on: Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »
It's strangely addictive.  I beat every character I came across and drained them of every last coin they had.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #208 on: Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 08:47:23 AM »
That whore Carmen is going to have to turn some major tricks just to be able to eat and pay rent after I got done with her.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #209 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 06:51:41 AM »
I've been stuck in Act 2 for what seems like forever.  Not that I'm finding it difficult (playing on easy to be able to get the story, then I'll potentially go back and play it on the harder difficulty levels).  I guess I play for such short spurts that I'm only able to work on a part of a quest during a sitting. 

The game definitely shows age in spots.  There are times where I really wish it could have been more than it was from a technical standpoint, but I'm still immersed in the story.  I'll probably buy the books after I'm done with the game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #210 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »
Are you still having any technical problems? Getting the annoying shader bug/pixilation on characters in cut scenes/dialogue sequences?

Anyways, I loved this game and reinstalled it the other day just to get into the first area and uninstall.  I can't let myself get into it - it will probably suck my time away.  Well that, and it's a lot of work to replay.  I'll wait for the sequel to tread new ground.

That said, I was surprised at how poorly some sections ran on my 5770.  They really pushed the engine with some of the effects during a couple of cut scenes.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #211 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
Nah no technical problems to speak of.  Once I got a good copy that installed and a better video card everything was good.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 03:34:04 PM »
I finally got this updated and have been in the mood to actually play it. In Chapter 1 now, going kind of slowly and figuring things out. I agree with Que, that intro area sucked. Once I got out into the field and started exploring I was like "Oh, NOW I get why people liked this."

I like the over the shoulder view for exploring and the top down view for combat, its so nice you can easily switch between them. And pause at-will! Yay!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #213 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 06:55:33 PM »
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - Director's Cut = $10 on GamersGate this weekend.

Habitual buyers from Gamersgate may get a REDUCED discounts going as low as $4...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 06, 2011, 01:58:47 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »
For all of you that own The Witcher: Original and need to upgrade to Enhanced Edition, if you have the old upgrade files - TOSS 'EM away.
If you recalled, they had registration and server-side auth required.

Well, RPG Watch Reports - CDP re-released the Enhanced Edtion Patch 1.4 w/out any registration and w/out any server-side authentication.

Get Patch 1.4 and Patch 1.5 HERE.

I can confirm - this does work fine.
I'm all patched-up to TW1: Enhanced Edition on my new PC. :)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »
Good thing I reinstalled a few weeks ago. Not in the mood to redownload that stuff right now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #217 on: Sunday, December 13, 2015, 11:40:33 PM »
So I finally, at long last, after approaching ten years of delay (holy what!), beat this game. And I'm super glad I did.

Wild Hunt has been tempting me, and since I finally got a new rig, I figured it was time to go back and do this thing properly from the start. I never got to play Witcher 2 because I wanted to finish the first game, and it had been long enough for me to feel comfortable going back to it.

So I just beat it tonight. I don't know what my total play time was. Steam says 81 hours, but I'd guess 10 of that was time I had the game open but wasn't at the PC. I didn't go full completionist, but pretty close. At the end I just couldn't take much more of it, and kinda started to rush through.

I feel like the game has aged well, in the sense that it's just as dumb and awkward as it always was, but the other stuff remains as compelling. The combat is wonky, the dialogue stiff and sometimes stitched together in weird ways, and the quests don't always tie together as logically as you want them to, but while the storytelling is sometimes a bit weak, the story itself is great stuff, the characters are fascinating and overcome the awkwardness of some of their lines and their models anyway. There's so much that shines through in the end, and I am so happy that I stuck with it and finished the game. I felt like it started to drag for me from the end of the 3rd chapter until about the end of the 5th, but suddenly the combat actually started to ramp up in difficulty, I had to use more potions and such, and the story really started to come to a head. I was entranced through to the end, and found the ending to be very satisfying, especially given that I was reasonably happy with all the choices I'd made.

It's funny how knowing that my save file would carry over to the next game really gave gravitas to each decision. I had little panic moments several times, because I knew that these things wouldn't just stick with me for this game, but would go into the next as well, and given how deeply I cared for these characters (which, again, is sort of a miracle given how awkward their presentation is), I really felt like my choices mattered. Especially the small ones that regarded Geralt's friends.

So yeah, it was a long time coming, but I'm done and so super pumped to start the 2nd game, which promises to be much more satisfying in the GAME department than its predecessor. I still really enjoyed this first entry for everything that it did right, and even though there were things about it that made it less compelling just due to age, technical issues, weird/poor design, it's got a diamond at the center that I feel good about having unearthed.

Now I just need to get the second game downloaded so I can dive in.

HYPE

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 09:34:15 PM »
What is up with that combat?  It took me at least 10 minutes to understand what I was supposed to do.  I'm playing with the over-the-shoulder setup.  (The isometric overhead point-and-click setup was not in any way appealing to me.)  Every time I tried to do something, it would either ignore me, or tell me I was too fast.  The tutorial said to wait for the flaming-sword icon, and that never came.  Geralt would either parry on his own, or get whacked.  Eventually I realized the first sword swing was up to me, and then the follow-up swings had to be on the flaming-icon timetable.  Add signs and the style changes based on enemy type, and at least there is some gameplay.  But it still makes me wonder WTF they were thinking about when they concocted this scheme.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #219 on: Thursday, April 27, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »
Yeah, it's really pretty odd. It was never very good, and despite all the extra work they put into the game, it never really got any better.

Which is a shame, because I really like the game as a whole. It's just a bit of a chore to play at times.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #220 on: Thursday, April 27, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »
I do remember enjoying having control over the different stances and swords, however.  Or at least I think I did...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #221 on: Friday, April 28, 2017, 06:48:08 AM »
I'll follow the advice I read higher up, and wait till I'm out of Kaer Morhen.  If it opens up and gives me some freedom and interesting goals in a big detailed world, I'll probably get into it, even if the combat never measures up.  I'm counting on decent storylines too, given the franchise reputation.