Author Topic: "may experience a loss of functionality"  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
"may experience a loss of functionality"
« on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 05:08:20 AM »
http://www.crn.com/software/206801221

In a Knowledge Base article published Wednesday, Microsoft said some applications "may experience a loss of functionality after you install Windows Vista SP1."

Better than "won't work"? Gotta love euphemisms.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: "may experience a loss of functionality"
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 05:38:43 AM »
reminds me of the warnings on the anti-depressants i used to take.

(erectile disfunction is not funny)
« Last Edit: Monday, February 25, 2008, 06:46:14 AM by beo »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 06:05:48 AM »
I installed Vista SP1 and it does seem snappier a little.  Might be placebo effect though.  I'm guessing that refers to third party applications, just like XP SP2 broke a ton of stuff.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 06:26:59 AM »
To be honest, I don't blame MS for being unable to test their service pack with every third party application. God knows they have an entertaining enough time testing with their own.

I remember when the expansion to Flight Sim X came out, and a bunch of the mods wouldn't work with it. Fans were really upset, but really, let the developers of the respective programs do some of the work.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 25, 2008, 11:40:36 AM »
If programs break after a SP because they don't follow the documented rules, I agree with you.  If they break because MS changed something they shouldn't have, then it's all on their shoulders.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2008, 01:12:30 AM »
To be honest, I don't blame MS for being unable to test their service pack with every third party application. God knows they have an entertaining enough time testing with their own.

I remember when the expansion to Flight Sim X came out, and a bunch of the mods wouldn't work with it. Fans were really upset, but really, let the developers of the respective programs do some of the work.
I agree with you and Cobra.

For example, when Shivering Isles came out for Oblivion a lot of the plugins which were affected were modified or at least got SI-compatible versions.