Author Topic: Alpha Protocol -> Update: Pulled from Steam (Reply 110)  (Read 29689 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Alpha Protocol - Update: Reviews are ALL over the place (Reply 49, 50)
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, June 05, 2010, 05:39:22 AM »
Well, you don't have to organize all the back threads. That would be insane. But do start with any new ones, as it really is bothering people. Please keep any previews and reviews limited to the first posts. Any discussions you or we have can come after as normal.

That makes a lot of sense - and just keep editing the first post to add in new previews, reviews, videos, or whatever - and organize them into there.

Though, you doubled-posted! You could've edited the last post and tossed that one into it, since your previous post was like 2 words.

You like pulled a MyD and shit... :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, June 05, 2010, 08:36:32 AM »
If you are joking, then that's funny, but if you don't get the difference between what I did and what you've been doing, then it is a hopeless situation. ;)

Anyway, let's start with that -- start editing the first post to add news, reviews, and previews. You don't even have to make new threads for every piece of news on a single game. For example, you can create a thread called: THE OFFICIAL DIABLO 3 thread, which people would find a useful source of information, since not everyone has your ability to gather every piece of interesting news off of the net.

The problem comes when you make six or seven posts in succession with news etc.

To be honest, a few people have told me that they have wanted to discuss certain things in your threads, but have been unable to because the discussion bits have been lost between D news posts.

So yea, go ahead and create some official game dedicated threads. Please keep them organized, and you will see people will start giving your thoughts the respect they deserve.

To be honest many of us skip your posts because often they contain links rather than actual personal thoughts on the game. I am sure you don't want people to be ignoring your normal posts either, because you definitely have insight to offer.

For now, I feel organization would go a long way.

I realize you would rather create new posts every time you have some news or whatever because people tend to look at new posts more than anything.

Here is what you should keep in mind:

a) That works a few times until people realize your every new post is some news item they aren't interested in, which results in people ignoring any new post from D as they get to know you better. Obviously you don't want that, because that defeats the purpose of your posting.

b) Once people find all your news and links in the first post, they will get used to the idea.

c) If people aren't responding to your news item, it is because they just aren't interested. Sometimes you have to move on. If you create new posts rather than edit your first one to get attention, then it is counter productive in the long run for the reasons stated above.

Here are two more suggestions you should find fun:

a) I suggest you reserve the first three posts of every new official game thread you create. The reason is that each post has a word count, so this is in case you run out of space for your news stuff.

For example, if you create an 'Official Diablo 3' thread, you can do a triple post saying something like SPACE RESERVED, which you can edit later. Please only use your reserved space if the first post isn't enough. Also don't reserve more than two extra posts, which should be MORE than enough.

b) I know editing the first post won't create an alert that there is a news update, but you can always edit the thread title if you've edited your first post with news.

For example your official Diablo 3 thread could say something like, "OFFICIAL DIABLO 3 THREAD --- (UPDATE: TRANSVESTITE CLASS REVEALED!)

edit:

Just noticed your Red Faction 3 thread. You could start setting the record straight from there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, June 05, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
If you are joking, then that's funny, but if you don't get the difference between what I did and what you've been doing, then it is a hopeless situation. ;)
Yeah, it's a joke - hence the :P

Oh, I see the difference...

Anyway, let's start with that -- start editing the first post to add news, reviews, and previews. You don't even have to make new threads for every piece of news on a single game. For example, you can create a thread called: THE OFFICIAL DIABLO 3 thread, which people would find a useful source of information, since not everyone has your ability to gather every piece of interesting news off of the net.

The problem comes when you make six or seven posts in succession with news etc.

To be honest, a few people have told me that they have wanted to discuss certain things in your threads, but have been unable to because the discussion bits have been lost between D news posts.

So yea, go ahead and create some official game dedicated threads. Please keep them organized, and you will see people will start giving your thoughts the respect they deserve.

To be honest many of us skip your posts because often they contain links rather than actual personal thoughts on the game. I am sure you don't want people to be ignoring your normal posts either, because you definitely have insight to offer.

For now, I feel organization would go a long way.

I realize you would rather create new posts every time you have some news or whatever because people tend to look at new posts more than anything.

Here is what you should keep in mind:

a) That works a few times until people realize your every new post is some news item they aren't interested in, which results in people ignoring any new post from D as they get to know you better. Obviously you don't want that, because that defeats the purpose of your posting.

b) Once people find all your news and links in the first post, they will get used to the idea.

c) If people aren't responding to your news item, it is because they just aren't interested. Sometimes you have to move on. If you create new posts rather than edit your first one to get attention, then it is counter productive in the long run for the reasons stated above.

Here are two more suggestions you should find fun:

a) I suggest you reserve the first three posts of every new official game thread you create. The reason is that each post has a word count, so this is in case you run out of space for your news stuff.

For example, if you create an 'Official Diablo 3' thread, you can do a triple post saying something like SPACE RESERVED, which you can edit later. Please only use your reserved space if the first post isn't enough. Also don't reserve more than two extra posts, which should be MORE than enough.

b) I know editing the first post won't create an alert that there is a news update, but you can always edit the thread title if you've edited your first post with news.

For example your official Diablo 3 thread could say something like, "OFFICIAL DIABLO 3 THREAD --- (UPDATE: TRANSVESTITE CLASS REVEALED!)
You really think I'll need more than a first-post in a Thread block?
I figured that would be enuff, myself...

EDIT:
If anybody else has any suggestions to try and organize and improve my posting abilities, please - feel free to comment...

D's open to suggestions...
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 06, 2010, 05:14:56 AM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Alpha Protocol
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, June 06, 2010, 12:39:42 PM »
Nah, I don't think you will. Good stuff btw.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, June 06, 2010, 12:43:01 PM »
Nah, I don't think you will. Good stuff btw.

Don't expect me to revamp this thread. Might take FOREVER. :P
Took a while just to do the PST Thread w/ one page. ;)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, June 06, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
Like I said, you can start with the new threads you make, or the older ones that you think people will find interesting. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, June 06, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »
Like I said, you can start with the new threads you make, or the older ones that you think people will find interesting. :)

Yuh, I've started the style for new threads w/ RF: Armageddon thread.

About revamping, I took care of the PST Thread.

About this AP thread, it'd be a challenge and a half for me to revamp it.
If Obsidian can fix the freakin' game issues w/ some patches, might be worth my time to revamp this thread.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #87 on: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »
Alpha Protocol PC - The Unofficial Modding Thread (from Obsidian's boards).

Already, gamers are tinkering and modding the game, since it is UE3.0 based and we all know how moddable that engine is: VERY moddable.

I find THIS particular post VERY interesting in the thread. The game has SM3.0 w/ all the AA and AF features turned-off by default - meanwhile, modders have already found a way to UNLOCK them through the APEngine.INI file.

Well, geez...no wonder the game's graphics got criticized. I bet it looks MUCH better w/ SM3.0 and AA and AF turned-up a bit. Interesting.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 05:35:15 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #88 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 01:16:52 AM »
Alpha Protocol PC - The Unofficial Modding Thread (from Obsidian's boards).

Already, gamers are tinkering and modding the game, since it is UE3.0 based and we all know how moddable that engine is: VERY moddable.

I find THIS particular post VERY interesting in the thread. The game has SM3.0 w/ all the AA and AF features turned-off by default - meanwhile, modders have already found a way to UNLOCK them through the APEngine.INI file.

Well, geez...no wonder the game's graphics got criticized. I bet it looks MUCH better w/ SM3.0 and AA and AF turned-up a bit. Interesting.
Well, AA will only eliminate jaggies, which isn't really that much of an issue on high resolutions, and AF will primarily sharpen textures. They're not really enough to revamp the game's visuals.

Btw, I finally tried it on PC. It's true, using a 360 pad makes the game more bearable. For some retarded reason using the keyboard to move causes your character animation to skip between directions rather than smoothly shift. It really shows off how ugly and unpolished the animations are.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alpha Protocol - Update: Modders tinkering already w/ AP PC (June 10th)
« Reply #89 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 07:43:18 PM »
That's odd, X.
Does that same animation skip happen when you use the 360 gamepad?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #90 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 08:29:29 PM »
That's odd, X.
Does that same animation skip happen when you use the 360 gamepad?
No, with the 360 pad your character animates smoothly as you change directions. It's pretty odd.

One of the mini-games works well with a keyboard but only because it's a simple "left/right SPACE" mechanic. The other two were very clearly made with a gamepad in mind.

Technically, the game is playable with a keyboard and mouse but it feels somewhat handicapped. Even with a mouse the game uses autoaim, taking manual aiming out of the equation and making the gamepad a valid choice for me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #91 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »
No, with the 360 pad your character animates smoothly as you change directions. It's pretty odd.

One of the mini-games works well with a keyboard but only because it's a simple "left/right SPACE" mechanic. The other two were very clearly made with a gamepad in mind.

Technically, the game is playable with a keyboard and mouse but it feels somewhat handicapped. Even with a mouse the game uses autoaim, taking manual aiming out of the equation and making the gamepad a valid choice for me.

Sounds like a lazy PC port - stuff they could all fix w/ a patch...

EDIT - Post from June 19th:
Right now, GameStop has Alpha Protocol for X360 and PS3 at $40.
Amazon has matched that price on the X360 version.

Wow, this game's (sale) price has dropped *that* quick...

C'mon, I need a PC version price drop, dammit...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 02:05:21 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alpha Protocol - Update: Gamestop AP PS3/360 = $40 (June 19th)
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »
EDIT - 6-23-2010:

Opening
Sorry that last nite, I never got to posting my opinion on this game b/c...well, somehow, this game took up in one evening during a work-week took up SIX hours (more or less) of my life away. Despite its obvious minor problems and issues - and yes, there are a bunch of them and it all adds up - in which I think most of them probably could be fixed in a patch, I couldn't stop playing. I just couldn't put it down...

So, for starters - I'd like to say, I'm playing the game on NORMAL difficulty w/ KB/mouse. I do plan to replay this w/ the X360 controller, next time around.

For the most part, I think it's a really good game - but, it COULD BE greater if they'd weed out all the minor problems. Hopefully, a few patches will improve on the game and its assortment of minor issues.

Unbalanced Weapons
The game is completely unbalanced. I been pumping purposely A LOT into the Pistols skills (got six points pumped so far into it) - and unless you're standing directly in front of your enemy, don't expect head-shots w/ a Pistol to take them out. Even if you wait a few seconds for the RED critical reticule to appear and hone in to give extra critical damage points, chance are - it still might not kill your enemy w/ one or two shots. Dice-rolls when I've clearly got a shot lined-up and no damage done at all are just uncalled for.

Then, this all brings me to the next point - Assault Rifles are just TOO powerful. I had absolutely NOT one skill point pumped into Assault Rifles. Using Assault Rifles, even from a distance you can basically mow down your enemies no problem - WITHOUT any skill points!  :o It's nice there's a gun in the game works - but, it works TOO good here. It makes pumping points into Pistols feel completely worthless.

A little more time for play-testing would've done Obsidian some good, as I think the issue w/ the unbalanced guns is the biggest and most obvious issue in the game, from what I've seen so far. Combat would be fine as it does feel pretty good, when it's taking place - but these unbalanced weapons just don't help the make the game what it could be,

3rd Person Camera Issues
The game's camera is basically unlocked. So, when you turn the cam, it just does NOT follow behind Mike. There's no key to reposition the camera directly behind Mike, oddly enough.

I can understand having an unlocked cam at times - especially for when watching you do kick-ass Melee attacks (punches, kicks, throws, etc) look more cinematic w/ it unlocked - but if you're going to do this, there should be a key so I can always put it back behind Mike. Didn't games learn from the original Silent Hill w/ the "Reposition the camera behind the character" key?  :o I guess not...

Another thought/idea - there could be a toggle switch for the player to hit, to Switch The Cam - a key for switching between "Toggle Camera Locked Behind Mike/Completely Unlocked Camera." That'd probably be a good idea, too.

Cover
One issue w/ covering - like other games that allow you to be able to jump in and out of cover - is knowing what you can and can't cover behind. The "Interaction" key will let the player hop into and out of cover. But, there's no icon, flashing object, or anything when you're near an object just to let you know if you can actually cover behind it. That would help matters. For the most part, though - cover works fine - as you can even roll away out of cover; run from one cover spot to another cover spot w/ a single direction and mouse click; etc etc.

AI On Normal Setting
I ain't ran into the AI doing any dumb stuff (think Deus Ex 1, where you shoot a guy dead, dude standing next to him does nothing), thankfully. Though, sometimes, the AI's just TOO alert to things here, sometimes. I'll be behind cover - and for no reason, a guy some long distance away, notices me - and I'd hiding either behind boxes or under dark light. Just...seems odd.

Graphics
So, no - they are NOT anything to write home about. They do the job, basically. The character models themselves are definitely more interesting than the environments I've seen, so far. The safe-houses look quite good, though. Performance issues here on 1024x768 just don't exist - the game is running flawlessly with everything pumped-up on High - so, they got that part right.

Though, it would be nice if they would unlock Shader 3.0, AA, and AF features since UE 3.0 supports natively, since modders have already found their way around the game and got it unlocked. The texture pop-in issue - where it takes time to load-up textures sometimes does exist, but as soon as you notice it, it's gone. It's most noticable when bringing-up your Inventory. The texture-pop is nowhere as obvious as it was in say Bioshock 2 (b/c it hangs around for a few seconds) - but yes, it's still there.

Oh yeah - everybody who didn't like Mike's stealth animation, where his ass is up in the air when moving and sneaking and all - I'm with you; it just looks plain silly.

Controls w/ KB/Mouse
For the most part, controls are fine and dandy. Most of it can be reconfigured - which is great and expected. Though, some cannot be reconfigured to where I'd want them to go. There is a radial menu for switching b/t Weapons/Ammo types, Gadgets, and Skills. They are STUCK on the Z,X, and C keys - and that is that. Personally, since I use cursor keys to move around, not WSAD. If I could've had a say in matters, I would've liked to put these Radial Menus on Insert, Home and Page Up. Also, Inventory is stuck on I key - which is fine, but I'd like the option to configure elsewhere, if I'd want to...

For now...
I will add more to my thoughts here, some time later...Got to go eat...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 02:41:05 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Alpha Protocol - Update: $20 off coupon at BB linked (June 20th)
« Reply #93 on: Friday, June 25, 2010, 12:55:45 AM »
I don't really see an issue with the 3rd-person camera. Especially when you're using a mouse, you're constantly moving it anyway. It works fairly well and I don't think I've ever needed a "center behind main character" option in any 3rd-person game when I'm using a mouse. I will note that with the X360 pad attached there is indeed a button to do just that (right-stick click I think).

Oh yeah, the weapons are so unbalanced. The gameplay in general is unbalanced.

Cover didn't work too well for me. Cover-to-cover doesn't always work either, it's very specific. Getting into cover is ok, but sometimes trying to get out of cover was a real bitch! Like the button was not responding or something.

Regarding the AI, I've come across a few dumb moments i.e. they seem to prefer trying to beat me rather than shoot me, amusing but stupid.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #94 on: Friday, June 25, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »
I don't really see an issue with the 3rd-person camera. Especially when you're using a mouse, you're constantly moving it anyway. It works fairly well and I don't think I've ever needed a "center behind main character" option in any 3rd-person game when I'm using a mouse. I will note that with the X360 pad attached there is indeed a button to do just that (right-stick click I think).

Oh yeah, the weapons are so unbalanced. The gameplay in general is unbalanced.

I hope w/ the upcoming patch (hopefully, there will be more than one patch), they can balance some of the weapons out - b/c that is probably the biggest problem w/ the game, I think. Oh, later on - Chain Shot skill (for Pistols) seems too powerful, too - as it can queue up to now 5 shots no problem and just take enemies down in a VATS-like manner.

Even though you are constantly moving it, a reset option to reposition it is nice to have - just for a one-key thing so I don't have to constantly whip the mouse around - lazy, I know. You know, I don't think I tried Move Cam when cam isn't behind me - gonna have to try that again. Move Cam (default is V), it just shifts it over to other side of character when it behind him and you hit this - Hmmm. Maybe I need to try that key again, when it not behind me? I'll check it out...

Cover didn't work too well for me. Cover-to-cover doesn't always work either, it's very specific. Getting into cover is ok, but sometimes trying to get out of cover was a real bitch! Like the button was not responding or something.
Odd. :(

Holding "Interaction" + direction intended should move it to next cover...
And hitting "Interaction" when in cover should pull you out of cover...

I'mma see if I run into any cover problems. I ain't had any - 'cept few times I tried to cover behind something...and well, it's not something I can cover behind, no matter how many times I hit the key!  :-\ An icon telling me that I should be able to cover there if I can cover there when I'm close enuff to the object would be nice, so I can know if I can cover there or not...

Regarding the AI, I've come across a few dumb moments i.e. they seem to prefer trying to beat me rather than shoot me, amusing but stupid.
Curious - what difficulty did you play on?

The AI has liked to either cover and then shoot; grenade me (especially when in cover); or just straight-up rush me, for the most part.

Often, rushing up to the AI and doing Martial arts (melee combat) has been a good strategy, too. I like that it's also easy to string a Martial arts moves into a pistol gun-shot combo, since they got separate buttons here for melee and guns.

I know, I've doing a lot of complaining, but ain't said much about what I really love about this game. The missions have varied quite a bit and have been great. The storytelling, I think, has been excellent. The cast of characters been good, but Steven Heck IS freakin' awesome - X, you were right, that is played by Nolan North! :) The decision-making stuff - with its cause and effect often being shown and talked about in-game often when you run into other characters or do certain things - and the way it keeps being referenced to is just jaw-dropping.

Examples about the referencing and cause/effect stuff...
(click to show/hide)

Art Museum
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #95 on: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 02:39:44 AM »
Haha I knew I recognized his voice!

I was playing the game on Normal difficulty, started with the Freelancer background.

I was really let down that the stealth elements didn't work as I'd hoped. They're actually more closely related to the stealth elements in D&D games (stealth dice roll and invisibility spells).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 06:07:48 AM »
Haha I knew I recognized his voice!
Man, Nolan North seems to be in so many games of late...hard to keep up. Dude sure did a heck of a job (pun-intended) as Steven Heck. :)

I was really let down that the stealth elements didn't work as I'd hoped. They're actually more closely related to the stealth elements in D&D games (stealth dice roll and invisibility spells).
Stealth Elements here in Alpha Protocol remind me of another genre-bender game...
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I know there's been talk in reviews and on Obsidian's board, that once you get Shadow Operative skills (if you keep pumping into Stealth skills), the game can get mad easy...

EDIT:
I just was playing w/ cover. Yeah, if you are trying to move from cover-to-cover, to see how it works. You have to HOLD the direction and Interaction button, once you want Mike to hop from cover-to-cover, until it makes it there to the next cover spot.

If you let go while Mike's in motion of making his pass, he will just stop the entire pass and suddenly stand-still for you to control again.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 07:52:04 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
I just got through finishing Alpha Protocol PC.
According to XFire, 19 hours (more or less) it took me to finish it.

MY END-GAME SPOILERS (First Run-Through)
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alpha Protocol - Update: Patch 1.1 released (9-15-2010)
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, September 15, 2010, 02:39:43 PM »
So Patch 1.1 is out for AP PC...
But, no patch-notes.
Seriously, WTH?  :o

A thread discussing the Patch 1.1 is up already on Obsidian's Official AP forums.

Seems like the new patch is mainly NOT working for NON-USA gamers...

Hopefully - Obsidian, Sega, or someone will let us get some patch notes and more info soon or something...

EDIT - 9-18-2010:
Got Patch 1.1 working fine and dandy here.
I own AP PC - Retail DVD Version USA, BTW.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 18, 2010, 10:58:19 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alpha Protocol - Update: Bit-Tech Retrospective on AP (10-21)
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
Alpha Protocol PC is $7.50 on Steam and Gamersgate today.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Alpha Protocol - Update: PC version is $7.50 on Steam and Gamersgate (11-24)
« Reply #100 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 06:43:48 AM »
SHIT!

No Alpha Protocol for my region on Steam! WTH!

edit:

If someone can gift me the game on Steam, I can gift them something back of the same or more value on Steam now or on a later date.

Apparently you can't buy the game on Steam from Asia, which makes zero sense.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alpha Protocol - Update: PC version is $7.50 on Steam and Gamersgate (11-24)
« Reply #101 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 07:02:29 AM »
Is the game Region Locked on Gamersgate?

EDIT:
Oh, this sucks...
On Steam...

:(
My friend is another country, can they install the game at the same time it is available to me?

Not necessarily.  Steam games are tied to the region's release schedule.  If another user has a later release date for their country, they will not be able to play their received gift until that time.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #102 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 07:11:17 AM »
haha yea I just read that. Senseless. They are just losing sales.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 07:44:34 AM »
haha yea I just read that. Senseless. They are just losing sales.

Oooh, Patch 1.1 was release for International versions AND Download versions...FINALLY.
USA Patch 1.10 for Retail is in here, as well.

EDIT - 12-1-2010:
Patch Notes for Patch 1.10.

* To resolve activation issues, PC copy protection has been removed.
* In Moscow during the assault of Brayko's Mansion, the player could get into a situation where a door would not be openable preventing progression through the rest of the level. This has been fixed.
* In Taipei, during the Stop the Assassination mission, the user can fall out of the world if they reload the "Exit Gardens" checkpoint. There was also a problem where if the player backtracked, part of the level might not load in properly. This has also been fixed.
* In the same mission, a problem with subtitles was corrected.
* In the museum in Rome, the game could crash when using Focused Aim to kill the NPC holding Madison in the elevator.
* Bosses could get stuck in an accelerated mode when Fury wears off.
* Chainshot was exploitable to slow time and get critical headshots without consuming its cooldown.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 01, 2010, 03:26:10 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alpha Protocol -- PC version is $4.99 + Free shipping on Newegg
« Reply #104 on: Saturday, January 29, 2011, 07:39:53 AM »
Alpha Protocol PC = $4.99 + Free Shipping on Newegg.
Reminder - DRM check and limits were removed in PC Patch 1.10.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Alpha Protocol -- PC version is $4.99 + Free shipping on Newegg; DRM removed.
« Reply #105 on: Saturday, January 29, 2011, 08:29:04 PM »
so is the game still shit and broken? if so, fuck you for making me read this again.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alpha Protocol -- PC version is $4.99 + Free shipping on Newegg; DRM removed.
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 06:28:23 AM »
so is the game still shit and broken? if so, fuck you for making me read this again.
The game STILL needs balancing.

Certain weapons and skills are just TOO powerful (Chain Shot skill for pistols; assault rifle weapons; sub-machine guns); while other things are just TOO weak (pistol weapons - b/c they have HIT AND MISS dice-rolls).

I think that's the biggest problem w/ the game.

EDIT:
$4.99 is basically a game rental price, if you ask me - and this here is to own a game. I think it's worth a lot more that - but hey, that's just my opinion. *shrug*

I clearly think Mass Effect 2's excellent combat ruined the combat for this game, as RPG games w/ shooter elements (and vice versa) have progressed over the years away from games that handle combat in RPG's like this w/ "hit and miss" dice-rolls.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 03:01:58 AM »
I bought this in a recent Steam sale, as I've always had at least some interest in the game.  My main gripe, aside from a lack of polish and some weird bugs?  I wanted to play the game as the worst spy in the world.  Soldier class so he just went in and shot the shit out of everything, big ass grizzly man beard, and all the dialogue choices to match.  The problem is the voice acting and scripted dialogue.  Where Mass Effect has excellent voice acting if you want to be a dick and vagueness in the scripted dialogue, Alpha Protocal seems like it wants you to play some wet behind the ears eager spy-wannabe rather than some motherrfucker who just gave up and decided to shoot people because, fuck, who's going to stop you?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
I'm having a shit ton of fun with this now.  It's actually a pretty good game in it's own right and I'm amazed with how pretty much every decision you make seems like it has an impact on the plot or the world around you.  That aside, most of my fun is coming from the fact that I'm playing this like the worst spy ever (as I said previously).  Go in guns blazing like I'm Max Payne on a bad day and shoot the shit out of everyone.  The voice acting still totally doesn't suit it, but that actually seemed to have started working.  Like rather than being some guy who just gave up, I'm some try hard who just doesn't get it.  And it leads to some pretty hilarious moments.

"Thornton, I respect how you've been operating in the city without drawing any attention to yourself".  Oh yeah, by the way, I just punched the fuck out of every CIA and NSA agent in town.  Like, literally walked right up to their front door and started punching.  I guess the stealth flag is deaths rather than being spotted.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: Alpha Protocol -> Update: Patrick K. Mills on some cut content from AP (4-17)
« Reply #109 on: Saturday, March 05, 2016, 09:47:34 AM »
I've been playing this game recently and I have to say I actually like it a lot.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alpha Protocol -> Update: Patrick K. Mills on some cut content from AP (4-17)
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, June 19, 2019, 04:39:32 PM »
Alpha Protocol has been pulled from Steam by the request of the publisher (SEGA):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/34010/Alpha_Protocol/

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Alpha Protocol -> Update: Pulled from Steam (Reply 110)
« Reply #111 on: Friday, June 21, 2019, 09:06:40 PM »
Reading my posts up there are kind of funny.  This game turned into one of my favorite gaming adventures, partially because of the game itself and partially because of my head lore of a veteran spy or spec-ops guy who just didn't give a shit anymore.  Honestly, I'm really hoping for a remake.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #112 on: Friday, June 21, 2019, 09:37:51 PM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday, July 16, 2019, 12:55:31 AM »
So, not because of an impeding remake.  FUCK.

I don't care what the shills on this site say with their blockbuster favoritism.  Alpha Protocol was the most ambitious game of the last generation and it was super fun.

SHILLS

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #114 on: Saturday, July 20, 2019, 10:42:25 AM »
Reading my posts up there are kind of funny.  This game turned into one of my favorite gaming adventures, partially because of the game itself and partially because of my head lore of a veteran spy or spec-ops guy who just didn't give a shit anymore.

I think what happened upon release was this: "OMG, this game's got all kinds of issues. It ain't good." The combat, shooting based on RPG-elements, lack of balancing, etc - it didn't help, this AP game coming out after ME2.

ME2 pretty much set the gold standard for the entire industry, on how to make the combat work on a game mixing RPG and shooter elements: make the shooting most important, making it feel like a shooter and react like one. ME2 was a complete reversal, changing the game for RPG/shooter hybrids, as most games before it (Deus Ex 1 & Vampire: Bloodlines) relied too much on dice-rolls and/or hit & miss rolls; and your RPG stats for aiming and shooting in certain categories.

But, here's the thing: Alpha Protocol succeeded in...pretty much everything else. Environment. Storytelling. Narrative. Character. And OMG, more choice than you know what to do with. Sure, finish the game in some 15-20 hours - but w/ so much choice, good chance, you're gonna replay this with not only much different character builds, but also much different journey entirely and a much different ending/outcome/permutations.

Alpha Protocol, especially as often as it has been dirt-cheap (before getting pulled from Steam and other services), will likely only get more appreciated, as people can really see it for the flawed-gem it really is...yeah, especially when they didn't probably drop $60 on it, since the game didn't really sell that well.