Author Topic: help!  (Read 7392 times)

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
help!
« on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 03:17:08 AM »
the tips of my fingers have been purplish the whole day.. i've massaged my hand and fingers, soaked in hot water etc...  did finger exercises..

any ideas? i don't want to go see a doctor. i'm wondering if the purplish parts will fall off..

but seriously, my fingers ARe purple but what i need help with my SD for camera.. it says that the jpg files are unrecognizable. not sure what happened to them.. i can open the video files though..
Taken.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: help!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 03:40:54 AM »
you'll obviously lose the files, but normally when this kind of stuff happens a format of the memory card is needed.

as far as the fingers go, i think amputation is the only cure here.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 03:53:21 AM »
 :( I cant lose those pics.. ahhhh.. okay, i tried plugging it into my computer and you know, some pictures are viewable but most are not. 

weird.. very weird.

Taken.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 07:18:55 AM »
Stop putting those fingers where they don't belong!

And I hate this highlighted post stuff. As if we can't see where the OP is posting again in the thread.

edit:

Now that I think about it, it's a pretty useful thing to have in long threads.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 12:49:42 PM by Pugnate »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 11:01:58 AM »
When you say they aren't viewable, what does that mean?  They won't come up when you click on them, or the files seem to have vanished?  If you can see the files, can you copy them somewhere else?  Are you getting error messages when you try to read the card?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 12:42:32 PM »
How old is the flash card, and how often is it used?  They have a limited number of writes/rewrites before they go bad.

I've recently seen a few digital photography websites suggesting to purchase several smaller flash cards instead of one or two large ones to mitigate the damage (and cost!) when this happens.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »
1. That's really good to know that there's a limited number of writes/rewrites before going back.
2. It's 9 months old, but i only started using it a couple weeks ago.  I just opened the pack.  And let's see, I've plugged it into my computer 4 times, into my camera 5 times, and into my friend's vid cam 3 times.
3. Que, instead of the picture showing up.. there's a white background and a big red question mark and says "
jpg files unrecognizable."

just doesn't work.

no, i dont' get error messages when trying to read the card.
Taken.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 07:09:06 AM »
Do your fingers feel real cold? Do you have feeling in them?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 08:58:26 AM »
It's 9 months old, but i only started using it a couple weeks ago.  I just opened the pack.  And let's see, I've plugged it into my computer 4 times, into my camera 5 times, and into my friend's vid cam 3 times.
Ok, then the card is either defective or there is nothing wrong with it and the files just got corrupted for some reason.  The card should last way longer than that.

There may be a way to recover the files, but that's beyond the scope of what I know.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 06:58:12 PM »
Pyro, two fingers are very cold, they're not as purple, but today they're swollen - index finger and pinky.

Scottws, okay thank you.  I guess i'll just delete those files and hope this doesn't happen again.  I don't think the drive's defective.. Just cause it's a toshiba? hah!

Taken.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 07:13:17 PM »
You know, you should get the finger thing checked out if you're actually serious.  Don't chance it.  It could be a circulatory issue, and those are all kinds of bad pretty much regardless.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, January 17, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »
You know, you should get the finger thing checked out if you're actually serious.  Don't chance it.  It could be a circulatory issue, and those are all kinds of bad pretty much regardless.

yes, was talking with a friend about it last  night.. ie. seeing a doctor cause it's really weird.. I remember last time i had some of these symptoms, it turned out to be an allergy to some medication i was taking.  thanks.
Taken.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 19, 2008, 02:59:05 AM »
Last time I checked, flash memory was up to 100,000 write cycles.  That's more than you'll ever use (unless some program uses it as virtual memory, or other similar snafu).  I've heard recently about the advent of solid-state replacements for HDDs in the near future.  That can't happen with 100,000 write cycles.  They would not last long.  I'm assuming it's flash tech, but maybe it's something else entirely.

More likely, your cheap SD card busted a gut, or got corrupted by static electricity.  Sorry about that.