Author Topic: Biases and impressions on Zelda: Twilight Princess  (Read 8244 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Biases and impressions on Zelda: Twilight Princess
« on: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 10:59:37 AM »
I'm joining Scott in attempting to get some posts going here.  The one relevant thing I can discuss is Zelda: Twilight Princess.  I know it's over a year old, but I recently finished it for the first time, after abandoning it for a year, and I'm most of the way through a second game.

To lead off, I have some major bias to unload and confess.  I think what Nintendo did with the Wii version of this superb game is a travesty.  Mirroring the entire map of Hyrule, and Link himself, who has always been left handed, only because of the Wii controllers, is the most stupid thing Nintendo has ever done to the franchise--and I'm including the pathetic spinoffs with Zelda names that have nothing much to do with real Zelda games.  The whole thing reeks of internal politics, where all sense of continuity was abandoned in an instant to keep the new hardware from looking infallible.  The sun rises in the West and sets in the East, where the desert moved to, but hey, no one is going to complain about swinging a left-handed sword with the right arm.  Rah!  The game was designed for years for the Gamecube, and as far as I'm concerned, that's the only version that matters.  The ironic thing is that I ended up playing the GC version on the Wii, which allows for a lovely progressive (480p) display.  The jaggies show the age of the technology, but it's still the best-looking Zelda game yet.

The unusual thing about TP is how heavy it is with story elements and forced plot points.  Storytelling has improved from previous games, but the downside is that the world feels much more claustrophobic for at least the first 15 hours of play.  This game did not sell nearly as well as previous efforts in Japan, and I wonder if this problem may have played a role in the lower sales.  As a wolf in the early stages of the game, you are forced to follow the plot with almost no reason ever to deviate from the path sometimes literally laid out in front of you.  (You follow a scent path.  The game leads you by the nose, literally and figuratively.)  Oh, I tried.  I scampered all over Hyrule field looking for anything worthwhile.  There is absolutely nothing.  Only much later, when you have the full range of choices, does TP become a more traditional Zelda experience.  I'm aware that all Zelda games confine you at first, but not to this absolutely linear degree for such a long time.

But there is so much good work here, so much attention to detail that I can't figure out a way to describe it very well.  The characters are the best they've ever been--looks, expressions, motions, behavior, AI.  The combat is just about perfect.  Link learns several new moves along the way, and they’re actually needed in the later stages and during one particularly tough, long side quest.  The advanced enemies are genuinely difficult.  The way they can team up against you is both impressive and frustrating.  While you’re defending against one guy, another will clobber you from the side.  You will need those 20 hearts you always collect in Zelda games by the time you face the fiercest opponents.  This is definitely not another Wind Waker cakewalk.  Nothing has impressed me more yet than 3 darknuts—heavy knights with 2 very smart battle modes—teaming up against me in a mini phalanx.  Christ.  They were too much for me, yet I felt more awe than frustration losing to them.  The final boss is easier than this, but it’s an amazing battle.  Even without the Wii swinging antics, it had me sweating.  Horseback battles against other mounted enemies in Hyrule field are much easier, but so much fun.  Nintendo have outdone themselves this time with all hostile interactions.

The world is huge and beautiful.  The music changes with locale, with activity, and with the day and night.  The sun and moon move fluidly across the sky, clouds roll by and cast shadows, sunsets cast an orange glow on everything, and then stars begin to dot the sky.  Textures have improved, though there are still some bad ones.  Water surfaces look terrific, but waterfalls can look downright chunky and odd.  The sound effects are exactly what they should be, and where they should be.  I have very few technical complaints overall.

Likewise, the GC control is pretty much what it should be, and very similar to Wind Waker’s.  I’m sure this is the biggest debate point, given that Wii controls were tacked on at the last minute, and it seems one in particular, Wii remote aiming, was implemented very well.  To offset that, however, you cannot control the camera directly in the Wii version, something we all expect in 3D Zeldas.  All you can do is snap the camera position with the C button.  On the GC controller, C is a whole joystick.  Coordinating movement with view adjustments is one of the joys I’d hate to lose.  After playing Mario Galaxy and Metroid’ 3 with the Wii controllers, I was less than impressed whenever the action called for using multiple buttons.  Once you need to start using buttons 1 and 2, and the D-pad—all awkwardly placed when holding the Wii remote with one hand—it becomes a thumb-straining chore.  Pass.

This game is long.  If you’re going for everything, and you don’t resort to FAQs, I think there’s a good 70-80 hours of good fun here.  Even knowing what to do, I’m at over 30 hours on the 2nd playthrough, and I just got to the next-to-last dungeon.  Epic scale, to be sure.

Miyamoto expressed disappointment in the sales figures for the game at home.  He fears the demographics may have changed, and that makes me fear that this is the last true Zelda game we may see.  No one should miss it.  Pick your poison, Wii or GC, and go to Hyrule for what may be a swan song, a very fitting one.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Biases and impressions on Zelda: Twilight Princess
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 12:00:12 PM »
Been hoping to find a copy cheap for the GC, and then figured I'd get a Wii copy just to compare and for collection.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 12:32:42 PM »
I read one review which said that it is "insanely disorienting" to switch back and forth between the two.  I'm not surprised.  If a Wii copy falls on my lap somehow, I'll check it out, but I'm not going to go out and buy one, at any price.

Edit:  Found the "review", which really only covers the differences from the Wii version (which I'm guessing got the full review).

Honestly, there are only three differences between the two editions of the game: a different control scheme, lack of widescreen support for GameCube, and the fact that each version is quite literally the mirror image of the other. The mirroring has to do with the game being flipped to make traditional lefty Link a right-hander on Wii to match up with the controls, and it's insanely disorienting when moving from one console to the other -- but it doesn't matter in the least if the GameCube is your first time to play Twilight Princess. As a matter of fact, it's this version which has Hyrule's "true" layout; the game world was designed to echo Ocarina of Time's landscape, and the adventure feels just a little more nostalgic when certain areas accurately coincide with those from the previous game.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 02:18:19 PM »
I would be sad if ZTP is the last true Zelda game, but at the same time haven't we basically been playing the same game since Ocarina of Time?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 08, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »
I'd say Ocarina is the last revolutionary Zelda.  Everything worthwhile since has been evolutionary, including The Minish Cap, an evolution from A Link to the Past with Wind Waker ties.  I'd hardly call it the same game, though.  It's generally the same premise with generally the same mechanics, yes.  So are most FPS games.  I'd agree that a deciding factor on playing it should be whether you liked Ocarina and its mechanics.  If it left you cold, then TP is not going to sit well.  If you loved it, then don't miss TP.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »
I still have so much Zelda to go through before I can allow myself to care about this one.  I didn't get Minish Cap, and I still haven't played Ocarina or finished Wind Waker.  I know, I suck.  I just haven't ever seemed to find the time.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
I'm playing Wind Waker again now.  TP is said to use a modified version of the WW engine, and there are some elements of the game that make that very plausible (like the portals).  I wanted to compare, and to go through at least some of the game again.  It too allows progressive display, and it looks so good.  It uses the same TP blend effects which rely on interlacing, though, and that can look a bit odd (in progressive mode).  The controls are very similar, with the head scratcher being much better vertical camera control than TP's.  The paranoid in me wonders if Nintendo politics played a hand here as well.  Can't have vastly superior camera control in the GC version of a Wii game, perhaps?

This game is (C) 2002, 2003.  Damn it.  My life is evaporating away.  I can't believe it's been that long already.  I got the sail for the boat now, and going for some aimless sailing is the last thing I did last night.  I love this aspect of the game, and I'm sorry so many found it boring.

I have one dungeon before the final, er scenario in TP in my 2nd game (which includes yet another dungeon, really, but . . . hell I can't specify without spoiling).  I was getting a bit tired of it, which is why I moved on.  I guess I've sunk about 120 hours into the game, almost rivaling FF XII--though that was a single play through.  The one negative about Zelda games is that they contrive situations specifically to gadgets you pick up along the way.  TP has the silliest gadget yet, I think.  I won't spoil it, but when I got it, I laughed and almost said out loud "you've got to be kidding".  To me, the joy is the big world which increasingly opens up with your abilities.  Getting trained like a monkey to use one gadget in one particular way is my least favorite part.  I enjoy the dungeon puzzles, but not so much the contrived, gadget-dependent boss battles.  While TP has quite a few of those, they made the final encounter a real knock-down drag-out fight, something that almost makes sense in the real world.  That was special, and it shouldn't be missed.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2008, 11:16:56 PM »
Yes!  That's the one.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, April 10, 2008, 07:05:50 PM »
I'm torn.  I'd like to play this, Windwaker, the Metroid Prime games, and some other Nintendo titles but the Wii is still priced above what it's worth to me.  On the other hand, gamecubes are retarded cheap right now. I'm not sure what to do.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »
Yeah, I'm bumping a old thread and am years late to the party. Sue me.

Yesterday I decided that I've let the Zelda:TP sit too long and finally jumped into in. Now, about six hours in it pisses me off, constantly. Mind you, it isn't really the game. I like the game and really want to enjoy it, but for everything I enjoy I'm constantly fighting and cringing at all the Wii shit that was tacked on that is practically bringing the game near ruin.

The worse offender is the motion controlled sword stuff, which is really nothing more than jerking the controller around to make Link swing a sword. It's awful and completely annoying. Having to swing the sword around just to make Link draw his sword is even more annoying and half the time the motions don't even read. Now that I'm starting to get into the dungeons and getting into combat more often, playing has more or less devolved into jerking the controller around with the hopes something would happen and I dread combat because of it. Even worse are the little five second meaningless fights that take far more effort than they should.

Next is the lame ass speaker on the Wii-mote. Whoever thought it would be a cool idea to pipe in half the games sounds through the crappy speaker on the controller so it could all sound like it's being created by a vibrating sheet of foil needs to be murdered. I can dig menu beeps and stuff, that's cool. Everything else is just bad and distracting.

The one good thing about the Wii controls is the aiming with the pointer. It's quick and efficient. However, to enjoy it you have to deal with a little fairy pointer on screen which makes little twinkle fairy sounds whenever you move the pointer around. When you combine this with all the swinging you have to do in order to fighting, it's constantly twinkling around.

It's a real shame. There's plenty to enjoy with the game itself, but someone at Nintendo decided it was better to make the player fighting through an extra layer of crap to enjoy it and I'm not sure I'm willing to deal with it anymore. The Gamecube version is also still to expensive to be an alternative as well (and it doesn't look like it'll be one of those things that actually drops in price).

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »
I really dislike Twilight Princess.  It got rave reviews and stuff but I just can't bring myself to like the game.  I played it about a year ago and put a total of about 18 hours into it but I never finished it... and unfortunately, I have no desire to go back to the game. 

If I do boot it up again I probably have to start over since I've forgotten the entire plot anyway.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 06:12:05 PM »
Sy it seems like you just need the Gamecube version, it doesn't have any of the annoying crap you mentioned. I'm surprised that it's so expensive. Most Gamecube games are dirt cheap these days.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure it'd fix the problems, but even used stuff is about $30 on Amazon. That's too much right now. If I could find a new version for $20-$25, then I'd be interested.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #14 on: Monday, June 22, 2009, 12:53:18 AM »
Do you want me to mail you mine? I have the GCN copy and Ive already played it and dont really plan to touch it anytime soon.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Monday, June 22, 2009, 01:20:13 AM »
No. I'm far enough in that I wouldn't like to restart at this point. If I quit, I'm done for a good long while. Thank you for the offer.

For what it's worth, I put a few more hours in am feeling like I can live with the problems more. I also changed how I'm sitting so I'm playing more like I did with Metroid Prime and more comfortable with moving the controllers around more. It's actually the seating arrangement I generally use when I seriously play a console game, but I take it apart often in order to have a bit more room in the living room. I was just being lazy and trying to play without putting it back up.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Monday, June 22, 2009, 07:10:10 AM »
Yeah, I'm bumping a old thread and am years late to the party. Sue me.

Yesterday I decided that I've let the Zelda:TP sit too long and finally jumped into in. Now, about six hours in it pisses me off, constantly. Mind you, it isn't really the game. I like the game and really want to enjoy it, but for everything I enjoy I'm constantly fighting and cringing at all the Wii shit that was tacked on that is practically bringing the game near ruin.

The worse offender is the motion controlled sword stuff, which is really nothing more than jerking the controller around to make Link swing a sword. It's awful and completely annoying. Having to swing the sword around just to make Link draw his sword is even more annoying and half the time the motions don't even read. Now that I'm starting to get into the dungeons and getting into combat more often, playing has more or less devolved into jerking the controller around with the hopes something would happen and I dread combat because of it. Even worse are the little five second meaningless fights that take far more effort than they should.

Next is the lame ass speaker on the Wii-mote. Whoever thought it would be a cool idea to pipe in half the games sounds through the crappy speaker on the controller so it could all sound like it's being created by a vibrating sheet of foil needs to be murdered. I can dig menu beeps and stuff, that's cool. Everything else is just bad and distracting.

The one good thing about the Wii controls is the aiming with the pointer. It's quick and efficient. However, to enjoy it you have to deal with a little fairy pointer on screen which makes little twinkle fairy sounds whenever you move the pointer around. When you combine this with all the swinging you have to do in order to fighting, it's constantly twinkling around.

It's a real shame. There's plenty to enjoy with the game itself, but someone at Nintendo decided it was better to make the player fighting through an extra layer of crap to enjoy it and I'm not sure I'm willing to deal with it anymore. The Gamecube version is also still to expensive to be an alternative as well (and it doesn't look like it'll be one of those things that actually drops in price).

Our lawyers are busy with D.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #17 on: Monday, June 22, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »
Do you want me to mail you mine? I have the GCN copy and Ive already played it and dont really plan to touch it anytime soon.

If you're wanting to part with it, I'm interested.  Especially if it's complete and in good condition.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Monday, June 22, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »
Alright, another day of playing and I think starting to want to just give it up. The Wii stuff is still pissing me off, but the game itself just isn't gelling. I dunno. It just feels off and tacked together. I've been poking around reviews and found this quote which is similar to how I feel about things right now.

[quote="Honest Gamers]Something, however, is amiss in this iteration of the Hyrulian canon. Grumbling beneath the desire to lavish anything Link is in with (healing) hearts is an abnormal sense that Twilight Princess doesn't have all its rupees together. It's the unsettling feeling that makes me ponder whether my standards as a critic, a gamer that has seen and played too much, are exorbitantly high. I liked the game, darn it! It is majestic, captivating, engrossing, and above all, fun. So what's my problem?!

After putting down my Wii-mote for more than fourteen and a half hours (I'm not counting), following a week-long vacation in keese-infested landscapes, I finally realized that Twilight Princess could have been better - tighter, fuller, and more unified - and less… odd.[/quote]

At some point, Zelda got a bit strange and it never completely sat right with me. The silly stuff fit in Ocarina of Time because it was sorta rare and the game still had cartoonish feel. It was at home in the Wind Waker, but here it's just out of place. It's like they go and make a world that looks like it can be huge and interesting, but then fill it was stupidly strange characters and situations that are silly for no other reason than to be silly.

On top of that, a lot of the games feels me-tooish with stuff from Okami and Shadow of the Colossus. That's just not good with something that should be as high end as a Zelda game. For example, the wolf stuff, while might not be a direct pull from Okami, but the combat in blocked off areas and special mechanics to fully defeat enemies beyond beating them up does. The little imp that helps you is also very similar in character to the mini-god that helps you in Okami. In terms of similarities of Shadow, a lot of the geometric designs of the Twilight/Dark word stuff is very inspired by the architecture and colossus design in Shadow. It's not a rip off, but I feel like it's close.

So yeah. I'll give it some more time (or force myself through it like the sometimes masochist I am), but the further I get in the less I like the game. It's feeling more and more like a missed opportunity. Maybe it's time they hand the series off and closely watch like they did with Metroid. I don't know who should get it, but I think someone out there making games now grew up with Zelda and could give it the love it needs to make something truly special, modern, and relevant.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Monday, June 22, 2009, 10:42:42 PM »
I still say the next Zelda game needs to look exactly like this.  Seriously, I think that would be about the coolest thing ever.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 04:57:31 AM »
Yeah, but sadly it won't.  I do love that picture.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 06:23:12 AM »
Generally I blew through every Zelda game I could get my hands on.  But I was unable to do so with the DS offering (that I can't even remember the name of right now, imagine that) and this one.  It could have been the fact that I was absolutely enamored with Wii Sports at the time, but I couldn't really get into a rhythm with TP.

That being said, I'd love to be able to go back and finish it some day.  It's unfortunately just not a priority for me.  And ultimately I think I'd rather spend my time playing through Wind Waker again.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 08:46:24 AM »
The Phantom Hourglass (DS).  I could not get past the toxic repeating dungeon.

I went back to Wind Waker myself after finishing TP (GC).  I loved that one, sailing and all.  I think I still have the saved file for when I finished the game with 3 hearts.  In order to do that, you have to leave behind every heart and heart piece when you have the choice.  (You are forced to pick up 3 heart pieces to advance the story, one shy of a full heart.)  So if you fish one up by mistake, you have to go back to the previous save.  I remember I saved before fishing just because of that.  The game is a lot more challenging this way, but still not too hard.  It's so ridiculously easy with all the hearts.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 01:02:24 PM »
I hated The Wind Waker.  The ease was part of it, but I really hated the sailing.  I did finish it though.

Twilight Princess is the only modern Zelda game I don't own, excluding handheld titles.  I didn't get a Wii until a year after release, and I played a bit of it on my brother's Wii.  It seemed a lot like all the other Zelda games since A Link to the Past with a little Okami thrown in, so I didn't bother with it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 11:13:06 PM »
I was able to force myself through the repeating temple in Phantom Hourglass because the rest of the game was so enjoyable. It was pretty much the same deal with the Wind Waker and the sailing. While I still think the Wind Waker lacked the proper umph of a Zelda game, I now think it was never really meant to have it. As a more lighthearted affair, it was really enjoyable and did manage to feel pretty amazing when you finally managed to find what the oceans were hiding.

So, I just wanted to mention that I've made peace with Twilight Princess and and very much enjoying the game now. Three things made this possible. The first was I learned how to actually lower the volume on the Wiimote speaker. I had no idea it was hidden on the screen that shows you the battery power (what you see when you press the home button). Things sound much more tolerable at lower volumes. Simply playing the sounds from the TV speakers is still preferable, but this makes the problems much less apparent. The second was I just got used to fighting with the Wiimote. Again, not perfect, but doable.  Thirdly, and more importantly, the game just got much better. The leadup to the second dungeon was sort of lame and I wasn't all that impressed with the first areas (and a lot of the silly things going on... like annoying monkeys). However, the second Dungeon was great and afterwards has been great since. I was worried the game would become too much of a cycle where you go into an area as a wolf, redo it as a human, then enter a dungeon. Worse yet, it seemed that the cycle wouldn't mix things up as to how each portion worked. Things changed a far bit and were far more interesting at that point and now that much of the world has opened up a full fledged and relevant Zelda game has revealed itself. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 11:53:16 PM »
Im of a little bit of a different opinion of the GCN Zelda games, or rather I think its just more my perspective as a gamer since I think it has gotten much more soft then what I used to be or maybe its always been this way. Anyway, Wind Waker was a real treat for me, the sailing I absolutely loved and was something I was really surprised about how much I would like as I played it. Really didnt mind the easy pace of it either, and I felt it the same way with Twilight Princess. As with the way of Nintendo and all other franchises associated with it, everything took a turn for something more casual in one way or another. I didn't mind where they took Zelda with TP, it certainly felt cut and paste but I enjoyed the hell out of it anyway. I know Zelda is a beloved series which I also can understand the heavy criticism, but that's why I feel Ive gone soft, I think Zelda's more casual direction was inevitable so I just took it for what it was.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »
I am so glad I stuck with the game because I just finished it and it was great. The first 12-15 hours of the game were barely above mediocre, but then things just opened up and it became awesome. It even managed to sneak a few new characters and mythology into the Zelda story that were worth keeping. Hell, even in the end the Wii controls came out alright as things like manual aiming and the using the hookshot became more important (and getting used to the sword controls made even tough fights painless).

If this ends up being the swan song for Zelda like Cobra predicts, it's a fine one. By the end of the game so much of what I thought was tacked together felt much more cohesive and the final bosses produced an even more memorable ending than in Ocarina of Time. So yeah, the bottom line remains is that I'm glad that I finally played through the game. There's a certain feeling of joy and accomplishments that comes with finishing Zelda games that most games lack and Twilight Princess pulled it all together in the end (or rather, about 2/5's of the way through).

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »
I actually booted the game back up this week and finally finished up the Arbiter's Grounds.  For me, that was about the 18-19th hour of the game.  It does seem to get better, I think I might have a go at it and finish it up.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Monday, June 29, 2009, 09:45:12 AM »
I am so glad I stuck with the game because I just finished it and it was great. The first 12-15 hours of the game were barely above mediocre, but then things just opened up and it became awesome.

I could have sworn I posted something about that, but now I can't find it.  The setup of the game takes a long time, and you are forced to go down a very linear, restrictive path until you learn the whole premise.  12 or more hours later, the game finally drops the other shoe, and you're in the best-realized Ocarina-like Zelda yet.

I'm glad you stuck with it too.  It's a shame to miss this one, even if it takes blind faith for a few days.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #29 on: Friday, July 24, 2009, 12:27:43 AM »
I finally finished this game.  I think I clocked it in at around 45 hours, so it's quite a lengthy game.  Only things I missed were some Poe souls and 10 Piece of Hearts.  Overall, it's a good game but it does take way too long to get going.  I think it took me over a 2 years to finally finish this game, and I took a 10-11 month hiatus on this game about 18 hours in because it was so boring.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #30 on: Friday, July 24, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
I finally finished this game.  I think I clocked it in at around 45 hours, so it's quite a lengthy game.  Only things I missed were some Poe souls and 10 Piece of Hearts.  Overall, it's a good game but it does take way too long to get going.  I think it took me over a 2 years to finally finish this game, and I took a 10-11 month hiatus on this game about 18 hours in because it was so boring.

Yeah it's on my list to finish.  I got this game launch day and it's pretty much been a chore to get where I am now (I just now have the ability to change from wolf to human at will).  I'll get back to it eventually.  I picked up a GC version of TP over the weekend for 12 bones, and I was strongly considering just starting over with that one.  I think I'm a bit too far into the Wii game to abandon it though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2009, 11:59:27 AM »
I was on the fence whether to bump this again, but I finally decided it was appropriate.  I finished another playthrough of TP, after a year and a half since my first.  My opinion remains unchanged, except I found it easier this time.  I don't mean the obvious remembered puzzle solutions, but rather the combat and other mechanics.  For some reason, I breezed through most fights this time, while I had some difficulty before with some bosses.  I still think the Goron miniboss in the mines is a royal frustration, though.  Overall, best 3D Zelda, by far.

Replaying it motivated me to move on to Wind Waker once more, which in some ways is like TP Junior.  It is not hard at all to see the development connection between these games.  A bit of casual searching for some background history led me to this translated documentary on the whole Zelda series up to WW.  The fansubbed translation's been around for a couple of years, but this is the first time I hear of it.  It's very worthwhile if you have an hour and a quarter to spare.  The 700MB MP4 is the better way to go.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2009, 05:44:39 PM »
Nice, I'll check that out.

WW and TP are both games I'd really like to play.  Sadly, however, I've decided against getting a Wii or GC for the near future.  I'll probably revert to emulation for both in a few years.  It runs okay on intensive games like this right now, but there is still quite a bit of work to be done and I wouldn't mind a bit more horsepower to get things going.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2009, 08:30:19 PM »
You can get a GC for almost nothing. TP costs more than the system.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, December 09, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »
Thing is I don't want a Gamecube.  I'd rather play the 6 GC games (maybe) I want to play on my PC with a much higher resolution...or on Wii.

But yeah, if you want you can get a gamecube for next to nothing.  I bid on an ebay auction a while ago on a whim that was a GC, and like 7 games.  4 of which were actually solid games (mario, 2 Zeldas, and Metroid Prime).  $50.  It ended up going for like $60 or something.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
LoZ:TP is the only non-handheld or alternate platform Zelda I never finished.  It just seemed too similar to every other N64 and CCN Zelda game, with some Okami thrown in.  It just wasn't fresh at all and I was tired of it.  I have no interest in the series now.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #36 on: Monday, October 03, 2011, 01:59:06 PM »
Ancient thread top, FTW.

I started playing this again in the last week.  It took a bit to get my bearings, having already invested 30+ hours into the game.  Once I got the lay of the land (and figured out that the fortune teller gives you hints on heart pieces you haven't found yet) I found it pretty easy to get back into.  I am enjoying the game, despite the Wii version's problems.  I have the GC version, but the problems just weren't enough of a bother to start over.  So the world is mirrored, whatever. 

Still not a fan of waggling to swing a sword though.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Monday, October 03, 2011, 06:13:07 PM »
I'm playing this as well, but having a bit of a hard time with it.  Partially for the reasons already mentioned (waggle).  It almost seems like I enjoy the idea of playing it more than I actually enjoy playing it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #38 on: Monday, October 03, 2011, 08:51:17 PM »
I'm definitely going to see it through. I'm at a point where it's really holding my attention. If I ever decide to replay it (unlikely), it will be on the Gamecube version though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: Monday, October 03, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
GC version is the way to go.  Hopefully Skyward Sword will have the controls properly designed from the ground up for the Wii controllers.