Author Topic: Any lawn "experts?"  (Read 4422 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Any lawn "experts?"
« on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 07:25:02 AM »
My lawn sucks.  There are different kinds of grasses and there are patches.  Not necessarily dead spots, but definitely spots where some grass struggles and other spots where it thrives.  It's pretty obvious even when cut.  I bought some fertilizer and grass seed this year, but I haven't laid it down yet.

I also have a low-lying area that gets very wet.  It's also under a big oak tree.  Grass grows around it but it is very patchy, probably because of the excessive water and relative lack of sun.  I don't know what kind of grass I should plant that would thrive in a low light, high moisture environment.  Home Depot only seems to sell two types, both listed as sun/shade types.

I just need some tips on how to improve the lawn.  I've seen places suggest aerating the lawn, and I definitely think my soil needs it.  But I don't have a tractor or riding mower, and I don't have the money to pay someone to do it.  Is there something I can rent?  I've heard of poles that poke individual holes or even attachments you put on your shoes, but my yard is too big to consider either of those options.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Any lawn "experts?"
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 11:30:28 AM »
You need to rent a plugging machine. You should be able to rent them from Home Depot or Lowes. The ones that I have seen you have to push, they aren't riding - so I don't know if that's feasible for you given your yard size. Plug and then put down the fertilizer. You will probably have to wait a few weeks to put down the grass seed - it should say on the package. Also, do you know what type of fertilizer works best for your yard? Different percentages of the chemicals yield different results. I used to know which type worked best (some yards need a higher phosphate level, for example) but I've forgotten.

As for the low-lying area, have you considered landscaping? That's probably the only way to fix the problem.

Edit: I'm not an "expert". You'd probably be better off talking to someone that knows more.