Author Topic: The Piracy Thread -- Update: Valve speaks on Russian piracy market and etc  (Read 11632 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Cevat Yerli mentions in an interview that b/c of the high piracy (of Crysis), there likely will not be any more PC Exclusives from Crytek...

...Though, they still will support games for the PC, of course.

No More PC-Only Games From Crytek?
Apr 29, 2008 at 3:15 PM - Gary McLean - 35 Comments
In this interview with PC Play, Crytek boss Cevat Yerli drops the P-word:

PC Play: How do you estimate the current state of the PC gaming industry? Some say that it's only a matter of time when it's going to finally die-off, the others say that "the big one" is only getting its comeback pace.

Considering Crysis is a PC-exclusive title, what do you think of its market reception and its future? Skeptics would say that it's pretty risky going PC-exclusive with such a high-profile title.

Cevat Yerli: It is certainly. We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis. We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin, a chart leading that is not desirable. I believe that’s the core problem of PC Gaming, piracy. To the degree PC Gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform. Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more. It was a big lesson for us and I believe we wont have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive anymore.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 18, 2009, 07:10:08 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Crytek to no longer possibly do PC Only Exclusives...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 30, 2008, 12:27:22 AM »
"We released this game aimed at hardware three years down *cough* that's what we tell you because we can't optimize a game or build a scalable engine worth shit*cough* the road and can't figure out why people don't want to pay for it!"

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 30, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »
"We released this game aimed at hardware three years down *cough* that's what we tell you because we can't optimize a game or build a scalable engine worth shit*cough* the road and can't figure out why people don't want to pay for it!"
I've said for many years that I think piracy is a major problem in the PC gaming arena. And again, just like with what happened w/ Iron Lore, it shows -- as the game is known for having high illegal download rates. But, I don't think piracy is the only major problem w/ Crysis.

See, Crysis definitely also has that 2nd problem you mentioned -- high system requirements (for its original release). Honestly, the vid card was the really only high-end requirement there, if you ask me. But, who's gonna buy a game their PC can't run just b/c of a high vid card requirement? A select few will upgrade; a few might buy a new PC b/c its just their time for a new PC (like every 3-5 years or so, people buy new PC's). I think what really happens is that most will wait until its time to buy new PC or time to finally do an upgrade, then maybe down the line when they get a new PC and the game costs say $20 or less, they will buy it.

Put these two major problems together, and Crysis might be lucky if it breaks even -- even after 1 million copies actually sold. I'm guessing Crysis was not a cheap game to make, as well...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 03, 2008, 04:58:28 AM »
Since the Crytek stuff is mentioned in this article, Epic's also made some claims about piracy.

Epic's Mark Rein is stating that there have 40 million attempts at illegitimate access using pirated CD keys for UT3

Crytek, Epic lost billions of dollars because of piracy      
Games and Entertainment
By Theo Valich   
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 13:20

Zagreb (Croatia) - My former colleague Igor “Iggy” Gajic got the chance to interview Cevat Yerly, co-founder and CEO of Crytek. During the interview, Yerly was keen on keeping the lid of future projects, but he did not refrain himself from stating his views about the current state of PC gaming industry.

Said Yerli, “We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis. We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin, a chart leading that is not desirable. I believe that’s the core problem of PC Gaming, piracy, to the degree [that PC gamers who] pirate games inherently destroy the platform. Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more. It was a big lesson for us and I believe we won't have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive anymore."

This statement confirms the attitude a lot of game developers discussed earlier this year at the 2008 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, CA. We spoke with Mark Rein, VP of Epic Games, and learned that the Unreal Tournament 3 servers received over 40 million attempts at illegitimate access using pirate keys. That number is huge, and the real magnitude comes when you calculate the retail price of $49.99 (59.99 for Collector's Edition).

If those 40 million players actually paid the full price, it would have been nearly $2 billion more in Epic’s pocket book. That is more than the quarterly sales results from Nvidia or AMD. To add another perspective, the government lost out as well, because no sales tax is earned on pirated copies.

When you take into account that Crytek saw similar levels of pirated copies, it is easy to see how big of a deal gaming piracy is. Between two games there were billions of dollars of lost sales. The natural instinct is of course to hit the platform(s) where they can actually earn money, which is looking less and less favorable for PC gaming.

40 million CD keys? Holy crap, that's a lot of CD keys -- especially if that was one person per CD key.
Though, I wonder how many of those CD keys were attempts by the same game-pirate multiple times; and how many multiple times they tried.

Regardless, that's an insane about of CD keys...

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
Re: Crytek to no longer possibly do PC Only Exclusives b/c of piracy
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, May 03, 2008, 06:45:25 AM »
That's silly to think 40,000,000 people are playing your less-than-a-year-old game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, May 03, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »
If those 40 million players actually paid the full price, it would have been nearly $2 billion more in Epic’s pocket book. That is more than the quarterly sales results from Nvidia or AMD. To add another perspective, the government lost out as well, because no sales tax is earned on pirated copies.

Ahaha.  That is fucking awsome logic throughout.  40 million?  Nvidia/AMD sales results?  SALES TAX?!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, May 03, 2008, 04:46:52 PM »
Ahaha.  That is fucking awsome logic throughout.  40 million?  Nvidia/AMD sales results?  SALES TAX?!

LOL.

Maybe Epic and Crytek, should jump into the hardware business. :P
ATI and Nvidia don't have to really worry about digital piracy of their products like say a software company would.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 03:01:11 AM »
LOL.

Maybe Epic and Crytek, should jump into the hardware business. :P
ATI and Nvidia don't have to really worry about digital piracy of their products like say a software company would.

Haha we'll just go back to the good ol' cartridge days :P Sure you can still duplicate them but it's not as easy as a disc. People will find a way to copy the data off the cartridge and make it work on other media.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 09:26:45 AM »
Haha we'll just go back to the good ol' cartridge days :P
I didn't like the "blow in the cartridge" NES days. Bleh.

Today's CD/DVD is a much better concept.

Sure you can still duplicate them but it's not as easy as a disc. People will find a way to copy the data off the cartridge and make it work on other media.
Always have, always will.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 05, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »
CD Projekt's VP of Marketing Tom Ohle speaks on piracy, Stardock, and games w/ high system requirements.

GameSetWatch: What do you think the future for the PC market is?

Ohle: I just wrapped up my work with Stardock, and one of the things I admire most about Brad and his team is that they’ve fully embraced the fact that piracy doesn’t have to be as big a deal as it’s made out to be. Yes, games will get pirated. This is purely speculative, but I don’t think that most people who pirate games are potential consumers anyway; if they couldn’t download your game for free, they’d just go pirate someone else’s.

Now, I’m not saying piracy isn’t an issue at all; it’s just that if you make games for a PC audience, you can still be successful. Look at Sins of a Solar Empire as a great example of that; The Witcher and Crysis are two other examples. Yes, the games were pirated, but they still sold well. If piracy didn’t exist, do we really believe that Crysis could have sold 5 million copies or something? Would Witcher be a 3-million-seller? I’m not sure about that.

The bigger issue in my mind is the ridiculous range of hardware configurations and the general chaos that make up the PC market. Games like Sins of a Solar Empire, The Sims and World of Warcraft– aside from being great titles – can do well because they work on such a huge range of hardware. If everyone developing PC games catered to such a broad user base, it would be much easier to gain mainstream acceptance.

We make demos to entice people to buy our games, but if I sent a demo of The Witcher to my wife’s brother -- a devout console gamer who owns a fairly new PC that he bought for $800 at Best Buy -- there’s no way he could play it. How do I show him how good a PC game can be? Everyone works on PCs (well, except for Mac folk), everyone has played Solitaire or some other casual game at one point or another. Their eyes could be opened to the amazing “hardcore” titles out there if there was some minimum standard for hardware and software compatibility.

Things are looking up in that regard, as companies like Dell, NVIDIA and Intel are all looking to improve the conditions for gaming in PCs. There’s the PC Gaming Alliance, which hopes to showcase the PC as a platform for gaming and address the challenges we face as PC developers. Too bad you have to pay to be a member. Anyway, I think the situation will improve in the coming years. As long as larger developers and publishers don’t abandon the PC or move exclusively to casual games or MMOs in the meantime, we’ll ride out the storm and everyone will just have to accept that PC gaming isn’t d00med at all.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The Piracy Thread -- Update: CD Projekt Speaks on piracy and Stardock
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 05, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »
Brilliant.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 05, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »
I've been pirating for many years, its not really the money aspect of it as it is the hobby and fun I get out of searching out something and making it work. The harder it is to find, the more fun I have fun looking for it.

40 million, eh? Thats an impressive number...its wrong, but impressive. As someone who has used CD keys online, I can tell you that theres usually only about 20 that work at any given time. One key might work one day and be completely gutted the next, one person might try up to 20 or even 30 CD keys before giving up at that time.

Anyways, piracy blah, blah, blah.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 08, 2008, 08:01:02 PM »
What Nickclone said there is kind of an interesting idea.  Piracy in itself is something of a hobby for many people.  Personally, when I was a broke college student I was a hell of a lot more likely to spend the time downloading whatever than I am now when it is infinitely easier and faster to just go buy myself a copy of whatever it is I want.  In short, I value what little free time I have and don't want to waste it trying to steal media.

Some people, however actually must enjoy the process of piracy as a means in and of itself, where the end result of consuming the media is more of an afterthought.  Given that premise, anything but the most basic anti-piracy measures are a detriment to everyone involved.

1.  Genuine consumers lose out because it becomes a pain to use whatever it is they just legitimately purchased because of extravagant anti-piracy measures.

2.  Piraters win because the more complicated measures "feed the beast" so to speak, allowing them the fun of trying to crack the copy protection

3.  Genuine consumers lose again because they are the ones who end up paying for (literally in a monetary sense) the developers to create the copy protection

Is PC gaming dying because of piracy, or is piracy just the scape goat blaming a shift in consumer preferences for console games?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 08, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »
I firmly don't believe that PC gaming's problems can be attributed to piracy.  Well, ok...piracy is part of the problem, but by no means the largest part.  It's just that the entire setup isn't really consumer friendly at least.  You can know absolutely everything about your computer and modern hardware, walk into a store, see some game you've never heard about because you might not check gamespot or the other news sites every day, check the min. and recommended requirements, buy it and still totally get burned simply because it doesn't run well or at all. Sure, I guess in the recent generations of consoles it's become a bit of a problem as well with freezing and patches, but you can't even argue it's anywhere on the same scale. 

That's the thing in my mind: a complete lack of it being a consumer friendly industry.  Games get released as betas all the time, and people sit on them so they don't get burned that way.  Hardware is another issue altogether, but I actually think a lot of the current problem is it moves TOO fast.  Each company has, what, two major GPU revisions a year? Those inter-idiots that claim your card from last year is OBSOLETE!!! aren't exactly that far off.  Why would a developer spend time trying to find innovative ways to make a game run better when they can just jack up the poly count, particles, and post-processing  so it runs worse, looks better in still frames, and claim that it's the engine of 2010?  Online used to be a major draw, and it still is, but consoles are moving in.  I assume it's only a matter of time before there'll be more servers active for two year old games console side than PC side...because most of the people left in PC gaming are the ones who don't stick to one game for any extended period of time.  They play something and when something new and better comes out they buy a new card to play it.  Go back to the old game?  That's not why I bought my Geforce 19000!

Min requirements don't mean shit to anyone - even those who've been in this game for years.  Every single company has a different standard of what min. and recc. requirements are.  Beyond that some just seem to outright lie.  It's a total crapshoot.  And sure, there is truth to what many people say; even though your PC hardware doesn't last as long, if you keep upgrading you'll eventually surpass the graphics consoles are capable of within the 5 year active console lifespan. That's great and all, but a lot of the problem is a lot of people don't give a shit.  You know what...if my card is hypothetically capable of better graphics than a PS3 now, why the fuck wouldn't it be for the entire lifespan of the card?  Oh, thats right, because the console developers are spending hours upon hours thinking up ways to squeeze more out of the hardware, while the PC developers and PC hardware companies are jerking each other off while watching hardware sales and releasing games that look fucking great on the latest shit, but like Quake 3 with a lower frame rate on anything more than 6 months old. 

I check sales a lot, and about once or twice a week I get my credit card out and start ordering an 8800GT or 9600GT for anywhere between $110-$150.  But every week I stop because what's it matter?  There's probably going to be like a year's total worth of games I can't play comfortably on my current 7900GS but can on that card before they start releasing games that don't scale to the new card either.  Why buy it now when I can just wait, get those games bargin bin, and maybe stretch that out to two years worth of games?

In the mean time, Metal Gear Solid comes out, and for roughly $400 I can get the entire system with probably five years left in it and the game.  Yeah, it's more than a video card, but not more than the five those fuckers would probably want me buying in the meantime.  It's tempting and if I wasn't so against buying a new TV right now (I'm planning on waiting until after I'm done school completely), I already would have done it.  Quality control is far better, shit is just tighter and more polished, the little indy games are on consoles as well now, and it's just generally a more user-friendly experience for the most part.   

They can just blame piracy all they want, and I'm not going to deny that I've done it and I'll probably do it again, but you know what drives a lot of people to it?  The fact that they don't know if it's worth it because they can even fucking play it.  Those are the loss sales - not the total, not the people downloading games just because they can and it's easy - it's the people downloading games because they'd rather actually play craps if they're going to gamble rather than just roll the dice and hope your game is a.) fucking finished and b.) fucking 100% compatible with every piece of hardware in your system.

On a side note, I bought Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay a while ago because of how awesome all you guys said it was.  You know what?  The game is shit. Don't get me wrong: it seems like it's fun, it's just not in any way playable.  I had to roll my drivers back a while ago because Doom 3 engine based games didn't like the newest (at the time) Nvidia drivers and I wanted to play Prey.  Fine, did it, played Prey.  Then, a month or two later I buy Riddick and try to play that....it doesn't like the Nvidia drivers I'm now using. If you guys could get both these fucking games working on nvidia's xbox hardware, where's the fucking issue here?  "The publishers rushed us!!" And they rushed you on the non-broken xbox version too...hey, that one works. 

So that was kind of gay...but fixable.  The cool thing about Riddick is that there's like a  game before you play the game.  It's a bit more cerebral, but it works like this: if you're not using the latest hardware and it's not 2004 (or whatever) you have to figure out how to make this shit work.  Stage one was pretty easy, search google for "working nvidia drivers riddick", get those drivers, uninstall and clean other drivers, install, reboot multiple times throughout the process.  Stage two was kind of a bitch.  See, you have to search google for "Open Gl error, Nvidia drivers xxxx, riddick".  Aparently for these drivers recommended by numerous people for running riddick with my card you have to open up Rivia Tuner, go to driver control settings, and manually override the Open GL shaders to run an older version (1.5?). Actually to be fair, this might have had something to do with just getting the graphics bareable on a modern system. 

Finding the search string for stage three was a bitch though.  See, after passing the first two stages, there's the mysterious problem of the framerate of the game just suddenly dropping into the single digits for a while, staying there and then shooting back up for a few seconds.  The ingenious part of this level is that it teaches you to throw all prior knowledge out the window.  Since this is going on no matter what you're doing, you'd assume it was a driver problem again...but no my friends.  See, the game just really doesn't like modern dual core CPUs.  So, every single fucking time you boot the piece of fucking shit garbage up you have to open task manager, right click on the process, go to 'cpu affinity' and uncheck every box except for one of them.

Stage five (the number jumped from three to five because I forgot to include the initial 'patching' stage) was wondering why after doing all this, the game ran just about as well as Crysis on high on a flagship card released a good four fucking generations after the min. required card, a CPU twice as fast with double the cores of the min, and about ten times the required RAM.  That's where I gave up.

You want to know why your PC games aren't selling as well?  Because fuck you. You only stole $20 from me this time, but some kid bought that game at launch for $50 and couldn't play it because you lied right there on the box. No, it's cool he can play it when he upgrades his system.  It's like a zero interest investment with no capital gains.  Oh, yeah...he also can't play the fucking game after he upgrades his system either unless he upgrades right into the 12 month period of hardware releases that actually are capable of playing the game well and/or at all.  You're fucking lucky I pay for any of your goddamn games. 

Lesson learnt here: Steal old shit.  It's smarter and way less time consuming.  Morality is only really admirable when it doesn't end up in you getting bent over and raped...then it's just being a moron. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 12:23:04 AM »
Funny you should mention Riddick.  That enjoys the distinction of being the only PC game I ever returned.  It never worked on my system--not once, not for a millisecond.  It went instantly to some error blurb, no matter what I tried.  I still don't even know what the splash screen looks like.

You make good points.  My take is that PC gaming isn't much more of a minefield than it was a few years ago.  The real change is that consoles became a good alternative to high-quality content.  Only the most stubbornly hardcore PC gamers are going to ignore it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 12:38:10 AM »
Yeah, that's the thing I guess.  I didn't get into PC gaming at all until 2001 or 2002 so I can never really say I was in on it when things were any better.  You're right in that since I started, it hasn't really deteriorated, but console gaming has improved while it hasn't really.  Hard drives, HD, polished online services, it all adds up to a much more enjoyable experience while they haven't really lost any of their weaknesses (simplicity and standardization being the main ones).  I'd obviously still rather play a game on a PC, but that's assuming I can actually play it and the hardware I'm using which is susposed to be superior can run it better than one of last generations consoles.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 07:17:31 AM »
Well, I think that's a bit of a utopian look at it.  I've had probably 20 times more problems with games on consoles in the last couple of years than I had previously in my entire life.  You know, games that have crashed for unknown reasons, games that had problems with specific hardware, games that had to be patched, and some which had problems which were simply never addressed (Dead Rising's text bug in SD, for example).  With the growth of console games has come a whole new host of problems, most of them similar to the problems you get with PCs.  Sure, they're probably less common in general, but I'm not one to generally have problems running a PC game, either, so for me I'd say they're about on par if you look at it blow-for-blow.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 08:43:19 AM »
I think it's unfair to say PC gamers don't play old games.  I have X-Com: UFO Defense and Deus Ex installed right now.  I still play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory from time-to-time.

I've never had quite the headache with Riddick, but I think it was in 2004 when I tried to play it, on my old PC.  I'm not going to lie and say I've never had a problem getting a PC game to work, but usually when it happened I was skirting around the minimum spec (or even worse, an upgraded computer hovering around minimum spec) or was using an ancient driver.  This also happened to be like fifteen years ago, so it's debatable whether or not it was just the relative immaturity of a good operating system at the time.

There's no question that console gaming is coming on strong, and hey I'm all for it.  But the PC is good at some things consoles aren't and vice-versa.  PC games are generally much more customizable, from audio and video settings right down to the actual content.  Consoles are generally easier to pick up and play.

In any case, piracy is a sticky subject.  In some ways, it gets blown out of proportion (lost sales figures).  I mean there's no denying it happens.  But I do think that anti-piracy measures are in fact increasing piracy.  Think of Starforce for instance.  This was awhile ago, but last time I checked it wasn't Vista compatible.  So you have a game that would otherwise work fine, but because of the anti-piracy software "protecting" the content, you can't play it.  I mean gpw wants to complain about timeframes that games are built for, no one knows how some of these techniques are going to affect the games in the future.  It's another layer of potential incompatibility.

I don't think they should give up with anti-piracy measures, but make it something that just stops the casual pirate.  Don't try to stop everyone because it doesn't work and just creates problems.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
When consoles became more like PCs in power and connectivity, they also inherited some of the ills.  The biggest ones are the availability of patching being used as a crutch by developers, and the much greater complexity of the code.  Add to that variations in hardware components, which may meet the tolerances specified by Sony or MS, but in practice can cause unexpected consequences.  Even with the new problems, they still completely solve the problem of meeting realistic system requirements, at a consistent, relatively low price point.  They standardize the environment and make it more widespread and accessible to common people.  I firmly believe that if all piracy vanished tomorrow, consoles would still far outstrip PCs as a popular game platform.  That would not have been the case even a few years ago.  PCs presented a unique environment.  In order to participate, anyone had to bite the hardware bullet and field the compatibility issues.  I know.  I was there.  Consoles were one thing, PCs another.  Now, on the game front, the differences have dwindled.  Lack of mouse and keyboard can still hurt, but the huge rift is gone.  No one in the know will claim that there is no difference.  The technical superiority and better versatility of well-behaved high-end PC is obvious to those who know where to look.  It's just not significant enough anymore for the bulk of the market.  The huge cost difference certainly is.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 02:13:43 PM »
I think it's unfair to say PC gamers don't play old games.  I have X-Com: UFO Defense and Deus Ex installed right now.  I still play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory from time-to-time.
I have Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 2 installed on my current rig. And from time to time, I do play them. Yes, they work fine on XP. :)

I've never had quite the headache with Riddick, but I think it was in 2004 when I tried to play it, on my old PC.  I'm not going to lie and say I've never had a problem getting a PC game to work, but usually when it happened I was skirting around the minimum spec (or even worse, an upgraded computer hovering around minimum spec) or was using an ancient driver.  This also happened to be like fifteen years ago, so it's debatable whether or not it was just the relative immaturity of a good operating system at the time.
I was lucky, I never had issues w/ Riddick myself.

There's no question that console gaming is coming on strong, and hey I'm all for it.  But the PC is good at some things consoles aren't and vice-versa.  PC games are generally much more customizable, from audio and video settings right down to the actual content.
Which I think is a great thing, b/c you can change the settings to make the game run better and/or look better, if your PC can handle it.

On a console game, your stuck w/ whatever settings they built it around. Which is great for pick-up-and-play purposes as long as there's no framerate issues and that the designers did a good job around one set of hardware...
...but if say a PC game is ported quite badly and has poor performance on the console version (Quake 4 on the X-360, anyone?), you might be wishing you had the chance to just play w/ some settings just to get the game to run a little better.

In any case, piracy is a sticky subject.  In some ways, it gets blown out of proportion (lost sales figures).  I mean there's no denying it happens.  But I do think that anti-piracy measures are in fact increasing piracy.  Think of Starforce for instance.  This was awhile ago, but last time I checked it wasn't Vista compatible.  So you have a game that would otherwise work fine, but because of the anti-piracy software "protecting" the content, you can't play it.
StarForce fixed this Vista issue, actually.
I'll go find it; I got it somewhere on these boards.

Some companies that had SF-protected games removed the copy-protection in a patch b/c people running Vista (before the fix was really out there) wanted their games working on Vista and b/c a lot of people just hated SF anyways -- see Larian's Beyond Divinity and EgoSoft's X3: Reunion, for example.

I mean gpw wants to complain about timeframes that games are built for, no one knows how some of these techniques are going to affect the games in the future.  It's another layer of potential incompatibility.
Very true.

I don't think they should give up with anti-piracy measures, but make it something that just stops the casual pirate.  Don't try to stop everyone because it doesn't work and just creates problems.
100% agreed. If they do protect a game w/ copy protection, it should NEVER come at the cost of the legit gamer. The only one that should suffer is the pirate.

The other thing I think that happens is if a gamer say buys a game that has nasty protection built around it and this gamer is screwed-over by the protection so that their game won't work, I think what some will do instead of returning the game is just go online and see if there's a crack; if there is one, they'll just get the crack to avoid the nasty protection.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if say when Mass Effect comes out for the PC that if it's cracked by someone (and word gets around the crack works well), we suddenly we see a major rise in the sales of the PC version. I really don't have the time and patience to be downloading games (especially HUGE-sized games) from services such as STEAM, as I feel that's time I could be spending playing some other game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »

Oh, I pretty much agree.  I almost exclusively play older games, but I think most of the people who are going to stick with PC gaming and still invest money into it are the guys buying every new video card for bragging rights and only playing the latest shit because anything without normal mapping looks like garbage to them. Sure, a lot of the classics like CS:S and DoD will always have a fan base, but even since I started playing PC games I've noticed a trend where PC gamers evacuate servers and move on to the next thing faster than they used to.  I might be totally wrong in my assumption that it's a trend rather than an anomaly.

I'm also not saying I think console gaming is straight up better, I'm just saying it's more consumer friendly all around.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 06:16:07 PM »
I think it's all been said pretty well.  I agree with scott's post: protection methods should exist, but they should be far, far less invasive and should focus on stopping casual pirates, not the hardcore ones who will find a way around *anything* that you do.  You won't stop them because they're smarter than you pretty much no matter what you do, and they've proven it time and time again.  And we've *seen* that these measures increase piracy.  Look at our group here.  We've got a fair number of people with PCs who are willing to spend a fair number of dollars on the hobby, and it's driving us away from sales.  There are a number of games I won't buy because they're on Steam and I fucking hate Steam.  There are a number of games I won't be buying because of all this "phone home" bullshit.  No, fuck you.  I won't do it and you won't make me.  And if you think that you can strongarm me into doing it, I'll just steal your shit and that will be that.  I mean, I support games.  I bought Sins of a Solar Empire because it's an awesome game and it has no copy protection.  I also bought Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2 and all their expansions.  Ease up on the copy protection bullshit and I'll buy Mass Effect, too, which I've been looking forward to trying, especially with the PC enhancements.  But if you tell me I have to buy into your line of BS along with it, then you can be assured that my money will stay in my wallet (at least until it goes to another non-EA product, strengthening your competitors).

And yeah, I play old games all the time.  There are periods when I play far more old stuff than new stuff, even when I've got newer stuff I should be playing.  It's a sickness.  But hey, if they keep this shit up, maybe I won't end up spending as much on gaming going forward as I do now.  That wouldn't be so bad.

Really, this is the same principle with movies.  You want to force me to watch idiotic fucking ads before your movies after I've already had to deal with staff who don't give a fuck that I'm there, and totally unsanitary conditions because you can't hire a fucking janitor that speaks English and actually knows how to use a mop?  Fuck you.  That's why I stopped going to the movies.  I haven't been in quite a while, and even when I do go it's a pretty long time between visits.  I can't even remember the last movie I went to see.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Friday, May 09, 2008, 07:23:45 PM »
I think it's all been said pretty well.  I agree with scott's post: protection methods should exist, but they should be far, far less invasive and should focus on stopping casual pirates, not the hardcore ones who will find a way around *anything* that you do.
Agreed.

You won't stop them because they're smarter than you pretty much no matter what you do, and they've proven it time and time again.  And we've *seen* that these measures increase piracy.  Look at our group here.  We've got a fair number of people with PCs who are willing to spend a fair number of dollars on the hobby, and it's driving us away from sales.
Which is a shame -- b/c you will go buy your legit copy of the game, but it won't work b/c of the copy protection for whatever stupid reason....

But, if you go online and if the game's been cracked, you will have no problem with running it.

There are a number of games I won't buy because they're on Steam and I fucking hate Steam.  There are a number of games I won't be buying because of all this "phone home" bullshit.  No, fuck you.  I won't do it and you won't make me.  And if you think that you can strongarm me into doing it, I'll just steal your shit and that will be that.
I often will wait for a major price-drop or sale for games that are on Steam. I still don't like STEAM very much.

I mean, I support games.  I bought Sins of a Solar Empire because it's an awesome game and it has no copy protection.  I also bought Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2 and all their expansions.  Ease up on the copy protection bullshit and I'll buy Mass Effect, too, which I've been looking forward to trying, especially with the PC enhancements.  But if you tell me I have to buy into your line of BS along with it, then you can be assured that my money will stay in my wallet (at least until it goes to another non-EA product, strengthening your competitors).
If Mass Effect had less crazier DRM, I would've pre-ordered the damn thing already -- especially w/ that $10 off thing EA has it doing w/ GameStop and Gogamer.

Imagine how quickly I would've ordered it, if it was DRM-free and published by Stardock...

You know, Chris Taylor's Demigod w/out DRM sounds good, right about now...and I'm not even into strategy games...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Friday, May 23, 2008, 04:05:16 PM »
Bruno Bushnell of Atari talks about a new encryption chip that he thinks will help combat piracy.

Encryption chip will end piracy, open markets, says Bushnell

Speaking at yesterday's Wedbush Morgan Securities annual Management Access Conference, the Atari founder suggested that game piracy will soon be a thing of the past thanks to a new chip.

"There is a stealth encryption chip called a TPM that is going on the motherboards of most of the computers that are coming out now," he pointed out

"What that says is that in the games business we will be able to encrypt with an absolutely verifiable private key in the encryption world - which is uncrackable by people on the internet and by giving away passwords - which will allow for a huge market to develop in some of the areas where piracy has been a real problem."

Bushnell thinks that piracy of movies and music, however, is probably unstoppable because "if you can watch it and you can hear it, you can copy it."

"Games are a different thing, because games are so integrated with the code. The TPM will, in fact, absolutely stop piracy of gameplay.

"As soon as the installed base of the TPM hardware chip gets large enough, we will start to see revenues coming from Asia and India at a time when before it didn't make sense."

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: The Piracy Thread -- Update: Bruno Bushnell of Atari talks on Anti-Piracy Ch
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 03:23:34 PM »
Money

This *did* surprise me. A LOT of people cited the cost of games as a major reason for pirating.

Oh, really?  Big surprise?

I read the rest too, but that pretty much set the tone.  Like many of his respondents, this guy is deluding himself.  Piracy is mostly about money, or rather not paying any.  I'm glad he's getting rid of DRM, though.  That just pisses off the legitimate buyers.  But if he expects to win over everyone besides the "few people" who admit to pirating to get free stuff, he's in for a rude awakening.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The Piracy Thread -- Update: Bruno Bushnell of Atari talks on Anti-Piracy Chips
« Reply #26 on: Monday, October 20, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »
Ok, back to this - fuck Riddick.  I decided I wanted to try playing it again and went through the trouble of installing and it and all that jazz.  It went a lot better this time, now that I actually know what I'm doing, but now all of a sudden I get a BSoD and complete crash every time I die.  Fuck it, I'm done with it.  I may buy it for Xbox at some point.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: The Piracy Thread -- Update: Bruno Bushnell of Atari talks on Anti-Piracy Ch
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 02:14:50 AM »
Oh, really?  Big surprise?

I read the rest too, but that pretty much set the tone.  Like many of his respondents, this guy is deluding himself.  Piracy is mostly about money, or rather not paying any.  I'm glad he's getting rid of DRM, though.  That just pisses off the legitimate buyers.  But if he expects to win over everyone besides the "few people" who admit to pirating to get free stuff, he's in for a rude awakening.

I laugh when read random fanboys claim piracy exists because of DRM. Right, like DRM came before piracy.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 08:31:53 AM »
I laugh when read random fanboys claim piracy exists because of DRM. Right, like DRM came before piracy.
Hahah will come up with any number of inane arguments to back their claims.

DRM showed up becasue of piracy. The developers and publishers need to protect their property. But today's DRM is a little extreme. It's like airport security on crack.

The argument still remains: do we compromise our freedom and dignity for a more secure world?

A lot of literature and films address this question. One of my favourites being Equilibrium.

My stance is that you can't fight fire with fire. The more aggressive these DRM measures become the more rampant and plausibly justified piracy becomes.

Haha imagine if you couldn't open a book you bought from the bookstore until you log online, prove you own the book, and get an unlock key! Do you think Xerox and Kinko's would be legal establishments?

EDIT:
Hehe a weird science-fiction thought came up: Image the ultimate DRM; you must be blood-related to a member of the development team or publisher. Born from the idea that if you're not related to them then you're definitely trying to screw them and steal their product. A set of karyotypes (chromosome charts) are the "CD keys" of the future. When you buy the game you insert a sample of your blood and if you are unworthy your sample is blacklisted. It may only be revoked if you get a job working for them or if one of your relatives does. Dun dun DUN!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 02:59:18 PM by Xessive »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Piracy Thread -- Update: Bruno Bushnell of Atari talks on Anti-Piracy Chips
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 05:24:54 PM »
I was watching an episode of The IT Crowd and it started with this anti-piracy ad hehe

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »

Well, according to the developers of World of Goo, they have something like a 90% piracy rate.  Yeah, the number is probably inflated, but that's not really the point - the point is that so many people claim they steal shit because they don't want to deal with DRM, or at least they feel justified because of DRM.  Yet, World of Goo is a $20 game, widely available, and its undeniably been pirated like crazy.  If you want to start talking about dignity, it's got to start with people just admitting that they pirate shit just because they can and it beats paying for shit.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 06:58:06 PM »
I think that's pretty much it for the majority. Why buy the cow when the neighbour's milking that cow and giving you the milk for free.

For those who claim the whole DRM is the reason, well you can still bypass it the same way you would if you get a pirated copy. Which I admittedly do with Far Cry 2 and Crysis WARHEAD; I bought the games but I still use cracks to play them simply to bypass the DRM.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 07:39:38 PM »
I pirated DOOM III, but I ended up buying it a week later.  Interestingly, my purchased copy is still in shrinkwrap.  I kept playing the other version, figuring I'd fulfilled my legal obligation.  I crack some of my games just so I can forgo having to swap discs around in my optical drive.

So as far as this 90% piracy rate of World of Goo... where'd they get that number?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 07:57:07 PM »
We arrived at the 90% figure by looking at unique ip’s that have contacted our leaderboard server for any reason, at least once. So, this should rule out “multiple profiles per computer”. Of course, there is a lot of opportunity for error, like ip’s that change, playing at work/home/wherever, multiple copies being played from the same ip, etc, but it seems like a good enough fast and decent estimate. Then we divided that number into the total number of PC copies sold, giving us the percentage.

This was a week or two ago, before we released the Mac version. I’m curious to find out if Mac users are more or less piraty! I’m guessing less?

Unfortunately, I hear the 90% piracy rate isn’t all that uncommon, even (especially?) for games with DRM. I know it sounds like a gruesome number, but we like to tell ourselves “those people wouldn’t have bought it anyway”. The good news is, some have mailed us, telling us they bought the game because they first pirated it and liked it. Hurray for (some) humanity!

Even though our game is widely pirated, I still maintain that DRM is a useless symbolic gesture, like taking your shoes off at the airport and crawling under your desk when a bomb is about to go off.

I’m just happy people actually want to play our game at all

And

1. based on the number of unique IPs and unique player IDs, we found that on average, there are 1.3 unique IP addresses per player (there is 1 player id for each profile created on any installation that submits scores to our server)

* 76% of players have contacted the server from 1 IP
    * 13% from 2 IPs
    * 5% from 3 IPs
    * 3% from 4 IPs
    * 1% from 5 IPs
    * 1% from 6 IPs
    * 1% from more than 6

this tells us that the dynamic IP issue is a relatively small factor in this calculation

2. we also looked at how many players IDs were created (rather than used) from each IP address. given that the vast majority of player IDs are associated with only a single IP, this is a fairly accurate measure of how many profiles the average user created. on average, a player has 1.15 profiles per installation.

when we take the total number of player IDs (which is smaller than the number of unique IPs from which leaderboard entries came) and divide it by 1.15 (the average number of profiles per installation) the number of estimated unique installations drops by about 35% as compared to the estimate based on unique IPs. let us further say that the average user installs the game on 1.25 computers with different IPs (i.e. not behind the same router), which i think is a high estimate. that lowers the estimated unique installations by another 20%. after factoring both of these in, the piracy rate would still be 82%, and we should keep in mind that this number doesn’t include those who never opted to submit scores to the leaderboard (it’s an option that’s off by default). so while it’s possible that the actual piracy rate is lower than 90%, it’s unlikely that it’s significantly lower. 2d boy hopes this satisfies the more rigorous number crunchers out there

oh, and yes, these numbers are exclusive of the demo… those scores are submitted to a different server entirely.

To be honest, I don't really think the number really matters though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »
My current install of Oblivion might have come from questionable sources, or it might have only been that originally, and I know for a fact that the Shivering Isles expansion was questionable.  But I own both of them, boxed and sitting on my shelf proudly, both awesome products.  I just went the questionable route in order to get them early.  I've done that with a number of games.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 11:26:36 PM »
Guys like Scott and Que who still buy their games after downloading pirated copies have more willpower than 90% of the people out there. :P

To be honest, I don't really think the number really matters though.

This is like the gay marriage thing. You will never change opinions. ;)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 12:37:58 AM »
I believe I've already adequately argued why the numbers can't be properly qualified in many cases.  It's indicative of a problem, and I don't think anyone would say it isn't a fairly serious issue, but the true severity is really unmeasurable, and simply quoting high numbers doesn't really prove anything of substance.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 12:59:12 AM »
I believe I've already adequately argued why the numbers can't be properly qualified in many cases.  It's indicative of a problem, and I don't think anyone would say it isn't a fairly serious issue, but the true severity is really unmeasurable, and simply quoting high numbers doesn't really prove anything of substance.

I don't disagree, and that's why I'm saying the number really doesn't matter.  What matters is that these guys did everything that every self-righteous gamer claims publishers and developers should do, the Stardock method if you will, and they're still scratching their head.  Can you really blame EA for at least trying?

This is like the gay marriage thing. You will never change opinions. Wink

Obviously, when you start out right why would you want to change?*

*I don't think you fully got what I'm saying about gay marriage.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #38 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 03:06:35 AM »
I don't even remember what you said about it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #39 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 03:11:16 AM »
I don't disagree, and that's why I'm saying the number really doesn't matter.  What matters is that these guys did everything that every self-righteous gamer claims publishers and developers should do, the Stardock method if you will, and they're still scratching their head.  Can you really blame EA for at least trying?

Obviously, when you start out right why would you want to change?*

*I don't think you fully got what I'm saying about gay marriage.

I don't even remember what you said about it.

The you in "This is like the gay marriage thing. You will never change opinions. Wink" wasn't directed at anyone in particular, and was just a general statement. The statement would have probably been better served had I used the word "One" instead...