Author Topic: Doom 4 announced  (Read 15728 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Doom 4 announced
« on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 10:32:12 AM »
Hell yeah!

"Doom is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth," said id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead in a release.
Sounds like D4 will take place on Earth. Fun fun!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Doom 4 announced
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »
You can always count on Doom to deliver solid FPS action.

I liked Doom 3. It had some great moments in the beginning, the middle had its moments (was on and off), but the last bunch of levels in Hell were awesome.

Actually, I need to go finish Doom 3: ROE -- which I did start a while back and liked, but bought too much other stuff and never came back to it.

Doom 4, with it being on Earth and all, should be fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 06:15:23 PM »
I'm so there.  I know some folks didn't dig on Doom 3, but I had a blast and a half both times I went through it.  It's still a marvel of atmosphere to me, and there's just nothing quite like it.  Screw the knife and fork, I'll eat Doom 4 with my bare hands.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 08:50:10 PM »
I loved Doom 3 but only played about 20% of it. There was a lot of stuff coming out around that period. Maybe I'll go back and finish it...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 11:31:15 PM »
Cool. I wonder if id will work exclusively on it or if they'll do it with Ravensoft.

I liked Doom 3 overall. There were bits that bugged me but I generally found ways around them i.e. the flashlight. I played a bit of the expansion but I thought it was boring.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »
Yeah, I never really got into doom 3.  It's not that it was bad, it's just that I didn't really play it much at the time because my system didn't run it all that well and it's not really worth going back to because (in my mind) there's a lot better stuff out there now.  This should be good though.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 08, 2008, 07:52:33 AM »
I'm sure I'll like Doom IV so long as I don't pump myself up like I did with Doom III.  I don't want to say it was a let-down, but it wasn't as revolutionary as I expected it would be.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, May 10, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »
I'm sure I'll like Doom IV so long as I don't pump myself up like I did with Doom III.  I don't want to say it was a let-down, but it wasn't as revolutionary as I expected it would be.

I made the same mistake.  I love id software -- I grew up on the original Doom/Heretic etc... and Quake is probably one of my top 3 franchises of all time, but damn I was really let down by Doom 3.  It was good, don't get me wrong, but my expectations were just way too high.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, May 10, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
I expected Doom 3 to be a graphics beauty unlike any other (at its time), but not push too much forward in gameplay department (since Id really hasn't in years, gameplay-wise) -- especially after playing shooter games with more to them like say the original Deus Ex.

I was right.

Regardless, Doom 3 was still, no doubt about it, worthwhile and still good.

The first 1/3 was pretty good. The 2nd 1/3 was for the most part "eh" to me . The last 1/3 of the game in Hell was outstanding.

Bring on Doom 4, Id. I'm really for another decent entry in the Doom series.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, May 10, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
I think that's why I liked it so much.  It turned out exactly the way I expected it to, so I was completely satisfied.  I agree that the game's middle third dragged on a bit too long and there were a few low points there, but on the whole it was just great for me.  I think Half-life 2 tried hard to do more original stuff and was ultimately a "better" game, but the fact remains that I just don't like that one very much.  I couldn't go through it a 2nd time because it bored the shit out of me, whereas Doom 3 I've played about 2 and a half times now and I still fire it up from time to time.  It's definitely more basic, but I think they nailed exactly what they set out to achieve.  Doom 4, however, could be a whole different story.  Now that they've retold the original tale and given us a very traditional Doom game with amazing graphics, atmosphere, and sound, 4 could prove to be the more revolutionary title that a lot of people wanted out of 3.  I hope they set their sights a little higher and try to see what new territory they can cover, because as easily as I could go for Doom 3 set on Earth with all kinds of extra creepy stuff, we've covered that well enough now and I think it's time to kick off some of the old school roots and build on them a little.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, May 10, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »
I pretty much expected from Doom 3 exactly what I got, so I too liked it. It was a bit frustrating how dark the game was, but if they hadn't designed it with the flashlight mechanic in mind, it would have been a lot more bearable. There were areas where you really couldn't see where you were going at all if you didn't whip out the flashlight, but then you're not ready to fire off shots at something that pops out at you.

I never managed to finish it either though. It was so dark that I felt like I could only play it at night because of monitor glare, and even then it ran somewhat poorly on my system. (sadly, the same system I have now)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, May 10, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »
One of the best things I did w/ Doom 3 was since the game has NO Alt Fire mechanic (which usually is a right-mouse button for me), I decided to change the controls, since I didn't like the Flashlight's default key being where it was. Wasn't quick enough for me, since I was always reaching for it on the KB.

So, I switched Flashlight over to the Right Mouse -- which worked out perfect for me. So, it's pretty instant when I want to switch to that, as I don't have to move my hand over to somewhere on the KB.

I think that's why the Right Mouse  Button (as default) worked so well in Bioshock for the "switch b/t Magic and Weapons" mechanic -- b/c this key is really such an important part of this game here, that it makes the switch instant since it's right on the mouse and not the KB.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 01, 2008, 01:53:30 PM »
Some new Doom 4 info.

Doom 4 First Info
by Nick Breckon Aug 01, 2008 2:22pm CST

[DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOMIE DOOM] During an interview with Shacknews, id Software president John Carmack described Doom 4 as being "significantly different" than Doom 3.

When asked whether the game will be rooted in the horror genre, Carmack indicated that it will instead focus more on pure action elements a la Doom 2.

"One of the things that I come to in my limited contributions to the whole Doom 4 design process is, it has to still be you beating down the bad guys," said Carmack.

"It has to be a triumph of heavy weaponry over demonic forces in some way, and you have to be blowing demons all to hell all around you, and it's a more positive side of things there."

Carmack explained that he found some of the complaints of Doom 3's brand of horror to be "completely valid," saying that the "contrived nature of monsters hiding in a closet" and the extreme darkness were two things that caused the company to cancel its game Darkness and begin production of Rage.

Needless to say, there will be no scary little girls in the Doom 4.

"It's not that you're running around frightened down to your last bullet [in Doom 4]," added Carmack. "There will occasionally be that, but it should be much more of you winning, because that was always the point in Doom--you are the hero, and you are winning. You're going to beat back all the hordes of Hell using all the tools at your disposal."

Development of Doom 4 will be short, as very little of the id Tech 5 engine will be changed in the transition from Rage. The game will feature at least one "graphical hook," and should have three times the graphical fidelity of Rage due to a lower target framerate.

However, according to Carmack, the focus will mainly be on creating a solid gameplay experience. Carmack also reiterated that the game will most assuredly be M-rated, and that the game's multiplayer modes will be more extensive than those in Doom 3.

id is targeting a release within this console generation, as the game is expected to hit on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 01, 2008, 07:25:18 PM »
Games like Doom II have their place.  That place was the mid-1990's.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Friday, August 01, 2008, 07:28:24 PM »
I will need to disagree with scott.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 01, 2008, 10:35:23 PM »
I will need to disagree with him also.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, August 02, 2008, 12:23:55 AM »
I must agree with Scottsby!

I really liked Doom 3 for its successful attempt at a coherent plot and a cinematic singleplayer experience. I was so glad it had moved away from being a common willy-nilly shooter (like Doom 2).

My issue with this style first came up with Contract J.A.C.K., the parallel to No One Lives Forever 2. I loved NOLF 1 & 2 but CJ was completely different. It was more focused on crazy shooting, hordes of enemies charging at you, in general it was more like a shooting gallery gone mad.

As some of you may know, I've never been a fan of games like Serious Sam, Painkiller, Will Rock, and the many other clones. I'm just worried that's what Doom 4 will turn into.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, August 02, 2008, 04:59:07 AM »
I must agree with Scottsby!

I really liked Doom 3 for its successful attempt at a coherent plot and a cinematic singleplayer experience. I was so glad it had moved away from being a common willy-nilly shooter (like Doom 2).
As for Doom 3, I had no problem w/ its style and pacing, in terms of action. I thought the middle levels were boring for the most part, though; the middle 1/3rd of the game. Though, the first 1/3rd and the last 1/3rd of the game was very good; especially the last few levels in Hell -- freakin' awesome stuff.

My issue with this style first came up with Contract J.A.C.K., the parallel to No One Lives Forever 2. I loved NOLF 1 & 2 but CJ was completely different. It was more focused on crazy shooting, hordes of enemies charging at you, in general it was more like a shooting gallery gone mad.
I think that is why they did NOT title it NOLF3. :P

As some of you may know, I've never been a fan of games like Serious Sam, Painkiller, Will Rock, and the many other clones. I'm just worried that's what Doom 4 will turn into.
I think those type of FPS games have their own place, as well. And no, it doesn't have to stay in the freakin' 90's like Scott said about Doom 2.

I thought as a game, Painkiller and Painkiller: Battle out of Hell were both awesome. It blended outstanding new-school type of visuals with old-school mow-down hordes like crazy FPS gameplay. And, I had a blast with those game.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Doom 4 turns out. Whether it's more like Doom 3 in its style of action, more like Doom 2, or a good mixture of both of those, I'll be looking forward to it b/c it's freaking Doom. All I hope is that it turns out to be a good game.

EDIT:
Hmmmmm. I didn't know about this game Id canceled that they were already 18 months into, called Darkness -- which would be like Doom 3; a very violent and very dark game with the whole "closet-jumping" monsters coming at you. I'm sorry, but I think there's a place for games like these in the survival-horror genre.

If they really feel there's only so much they can do with survival horror, then why don't they try to somehow do something to evolutionize (is that a word?) the genre and push it ahead with some new innovations?

I wonder how close it was to being done, being 18 months into it already.

Would've been interesting to see how this one would've turned out, though -- even though I am looking forward to Rage more than anything Id's come up with in the last God knows how many years. It's cool to see Id, the pioneers of FPS, finally jump into the open-world shooter land.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, August 02, 2008, 11:37:01 AM »
Did the thread become a poll?  In that case, I loved Doom II.  I played it and a zillion amateur maps for over a year.  If it were done again with modern tech, I think I would salivate over it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, August 03, 2008, 12:39:53 AM »
I agree with Scott about Doom 2, but Doom 3 didn't really do it for me either.  Actually, now that I think about it I don't think Id has ever made a game I've been really impressed with.  As far as I'm concerned they pump out engines, not games.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, August 03, 2008, 05:33:14 PM »
I don't know, but all the Doom games have been at least been good -- whether you're blowing up tons of hordes of monsters from Hell or shooting some closet-jumping monsters from Hell.

So, hell -- I just want to say: whatever style they go for -- whether it's closet-jumping monsters or just bowling over hordes of monsters -- or hell, even if they decide to mix them styles up from levels here and there -- just bring me Doom 4!

Bring it, Id!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, August 03, 2008, 06:24:16 PM »
I agree with Scott about Doom 2, but Doom 3 didn't really do it for me either.  Actually, now that I think about it I don't think Id has ever made a game I've been really impressed with.  As far as I'm concerned they pump out engines, not games.
Don't get me wrong.  Doom and Doom II were completely awesome... when I played them in the early/mid 1990's.  I need something more than a shoot-'em-up + key hunt now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 02:39:06 PM »
Games like Doom II have their place.  That place was the mid-1990's.

Agreeeeed....

Though in the end I liked Doom III lots.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 06:39:03 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  Doom and Doom II were completely awesome... when I played them in the early/mid 1990's.  I need something more than a shoot-'em-up + key hunt now.

I've been playing the shit out of both this week.

Installed and played Quake today as well.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 06:40:23 PM »
I love all of these games.  All the Quakes, all the Dooms.  I don't know exactly why, but they speak to me somehow.  The simplicity, the goal of raw violence and rage... it speaks to me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »
I love all of these games.  All the Quakes, all the Dooms.  I don't know exactly why, but they speak to me somehow.  The simplicity, the goal of raw violence and rage... it speaks to me.
I think you answered your own wondering why w/ the bolded statement. :P

Who doesn't like raw violence and rage? :P
Oh, and cutting-edge Id Tech graphics? :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 06:53:51 PM »
It's a weird thing, though.  They're comforting, somehow.  I don't know why something violent and visceral would be comforting.  Maybe just all the childhood memories.  I have great memories of Doom.  My mom hated it and I used to play it when I was supposed to be studying... I'd literally put schoolbooks over the monitor if she came into the room, haha.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 06:59:40 PM »
It's a weird thing, though.  They're comforting, somehow.  I don't know why something violent and visceral would be comforting.  Maybe just all the childhood memories.  I have great memories of Doom.  My mom hated it and I used to play it when I was supposed to be studying... I'd literally put schoolbooks over the monitor if she came into the room, haha.

The itch-n-twitch gameplay of Doom, in which you're laying waste to tons of enemies, is just fun and a good way to blow off steam. :)

Plus, your mom hated it - and that makes the rebel in you probably dig it instantly. ;)

How old were you when you played the old Doom games?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
They're timeless.  Every console and PC generation produces a handful of titles that are just as fun at 10 years old as they were the day they came out.  I'm not disputing that emotional attachment has something to do with it (because I'm firmly in that category as well), but some games just get it right.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »
I think I was like... 11 or something when I first played Doom.  Loved it from the start and I've never looked back.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 07:19:54 PM »
I think I was like... 11 or something when I first played Doom.  Loved it from the start and I've never looked back.

Sweet. :)

It would've been awesome if Trent was involved w/ Doom 4 musically, but...oh well...
*shrug*

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 07:30:43 PM »
Eh.  I don't think they need him.  He's cool in his own way and all, but they'll do fine.  I'm just eager to see what evolutions they try to bring into the standard formula.  Doom 3 was a great game, IMO, but I want to see what they'll try and do with all the gaming conventions that have really been turned on their ear or evolved lately.  I think something great could come of it.  Doom 3 didn't try very hard to stretch from its roots, and I think it worked in that way.  But I'm curious to see what new ideas they'll employ.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »
I never picked up the expansion for Doom 3.  Worth my time?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, June 03, 2010, 07:42:17 PM »
I actually liked it quite a bit.  It's sort of more of the same, but with a little more force behind some of the aesthetics.  Or at least that's what my currently drunken state tells me to say.  I liked it.  If you liked the stock game, it's worth getting.  The storytelling lacks a bit, but it was fun and there was lots of evil new stuff to shoot.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »
http://kotaku.com/five-years-and-nothing-to-show-how-doom-4-got-off-trac-468097062

Mulitple sources within/close to id saying things about the progress of doom 4.
-After lackluster performance from Rage, a sequel was canned and the DLC was cut back
-After 3 years of work from a second team, the project was rebooted.
-The leaked screenshots from a while back were real, but were outdated shots from before the project was restarted.
-id has had serious leadership issues leading to poor progress and a lot of telent being fired or quitting.
-Zenimax may have given some sort of ultimatum to id about the progress and success of Doom 4.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »
That news makes me very sad.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, April 04, 2013, 05:08:20 AM »
We talked about this in the IRC channel yesterday.  I think in a sense the gaming world has passed id by.  We've far surpassed the time where a studio just needed to be a few dudes in an office space, which is what they were good at.  They are obviously not so great with projects of a grander scope.

You can't make "Doom" and be profitable in this day and age.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Bethesda eventually close up id in the next few years.  The money's in the IPs anyway.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, April 04, 2013, 02:49:12 PM »
That's pretty much it. Sums iD up well.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: Friday, July 18, 2014, 04:14:55 PM »
So, Doom was shown at Quakecon yesterday. They did a 30-45 minute talk about how great id is, what tournaments and events are happening, and then talked for a while about sponsors and such. They were streaming out to Twitch. At some point, Tim Willits said something like, "ok now I want to address the 50,000+ people watching from home. We love your supports, and thanks for tuning in, but this part you can't watch." And right then the stream shut off. They had announced a couple weeks ago that the Doom presentation would be for attendees only, but it still stung a bit.

So apparently the new Doom is focused on tons of violence and gore, and has a melee system allowing you to rip demons' heads off, rip out their hearts, etc.

Then the chaos began. The first blast from the shotgun rumbled throughout the ballroom, drawing cheers from the crowd. The demons didn't stand a chance against its concussive force, and they tumbled and bounced off objects in the environment like pinballs. The impressive AI and staggering technology from id's Rage was on display here, and it looks damn good. But the guns weren't the star of this demo. The marines hands and feet stole the show. Injured demons were eliminated quickly with melee finishers that would fit right in with any Mortal Kombat game.
The demo quickly turned into a slaughter with demons getting shot up and then torn to shreds. Skulls were crushed, jaws were ripped in half, heads stomped from above, arms completely torn off, necks snapped, bodies kicked over railings, and in one memorable case, a heart ripped out of a giant demon's chest and punched down its own throat, where it then exploded.
After mutilating dozens more demons in ridiculous ways, the marine's progress was halted when a massive demon with a grinning skull face and a flaming jetpack flew through the window, kicked the marine to the ground, and beat him to death with his own arm.
Needless to say, the chainsaw was not a clean way to go out for the demons meeting the business end of the weapon. Bodies were sliced in two every which way, giving all watching plenty of time to study the anatomy of demons. One demon even cowered in fear, holding his arms up over his head to try and block the attack, but his efforts proved fruitless. The chainsaw cut through his arms and then through his skull and body.

Full writeup on Game Informer's site here.

No video was leaked, and the game probably won't be shown to the public until Quakecon next year. =/