Author Topic: Doom 4 announced  (Read 15723 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Doom 4 announced
« Reply #80 on: Friday, May 27, 2016, 04:57:46 AM »
Doom has a story?  *Facepalm*  How did I miss that after all the years?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #81 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 05:43:49 AM »
If anyone here's looking for this Doom 2016 game - it's $20 at GameStop (all platforms - PC, X1, PS4), if you can find a copy.

Doom 2016's Single Player Campaign has been great so far. I don't know, but I'm around 7 hours in - and this might be one of the best non-open-world single-player campaigns that I've played in quite a long time. If this keeps it up, it might be one of the best SP Campaigns for a FPS of all time for me. For me, if this keeps up - Doom 2016 would be right up there w/ the likes of SP campaigns for Quake 2; Half-Life 1+2; FEAR 1 (base-game); and Bioshock 1 for me.

Yeah, the old Doom games were great and all - but Doom 2016 feels like (so far, some 7 hours in) the "close-to-perfection" here of that old-school Id style of their SP campaigns with naturally a few twists thrown in (Challenge Map Rune areas; upgrading your weapons + character a little bit; etc). Basically, for gameplay - look at gameplay for old-school Doom game and Quake 2 for what I'm talking about...with how levels are mapped-out as a labyrinths (with key-cards!); objectives for a map remind me of Quake 2; story-telling similar to Doom 3; Lore stuff in style of Doom 3's PDF and also what the Bioshock series did [i.e. non-open world single player campaigns].

Man, now I really want a new Quake single-player campaign with gameplay like that of Doom 2016. I'd love to see part of the campaign be in the old Quake 1 map style with the medieval/gothic look with modern weapons; and another part of the game on the Strogg Q2/Q4 futuristic sci-fi setting.

EDIT:
I should note, I'm playing the PC version, of course. I'm using the Vulkan API here, not OpenGL. For those asking, my desktop PC here is equipped with i7 950 Bloomfield; 16 GB RAM DDR3; "4GB" GTX 970; W7 64-bit. I have the game running @ 1080p60FPS with Ultra settings (when capped) - with no dips; no ups + downs in framerate; nothing. When unlocked, the FPS can shoot on 1080p with Ultra from 80FPS-120FPS. The game runs amazing, looks amazing, and plays great - what more could I really ask for, from this game?

This game's outstanding.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #82 on: Monday, September 05, 2016, 11:21:07 AM »
DOOM (2016) [PC version] - Single Player Campaign has been finished + is in the books, after 19 hours of frantic action.

As someone who's played tons of FPS's since the Quake + DN3D days, Doom 2016 has one of the best SP Campaigns for a FPS Of All Time; it's nothing short of incredible.

This is serious Game Of The Year 2016 Material right here.

EDIT:
My long-winded Doom 2016 - SP Campaign Review.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 05, 2016, 12:18:12 PM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 09:38:18 AM »
The new arcade mode is basically a whole new game, for free.  This one can be played indefinitely, old-school, for score.  Great way to add life to the game, particularly for the SP folks like me.  Killing and collecting certain goods ramp up score and multiplier.  Getting hurt and the passage of time erode the multiplier.  Loadouts seem to be fixed per level, and from what I've seen so far, include everything that you should have at that level.  There are 3 medals per level (the usual colors) based on the final score, which itself is based on several factors.  Excellent, unexpected new entertainment.  Thanks many to these guys.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
Holy shit, I didn't even know this was happening. Glad I still have it installed, that sounds awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #85 on: Friday, November 25, 2016, 03:16:20 AM »
I've just played twenty minutes of this and holy fuck it is awesome. I had to drag myself away. The graphics are incredible and this seems to capture the glory of the old-school shooter quite well.

This is the game you play on WQHD.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #86 on: Friday, November 25, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »
I played an hour of arcade mode last night, and it's great fun. Kind of reduces the campaign to its essence, changes some item placement a bit, and just lets you go to town. Since I play on nightmare it's damn hard to even finish a level since you can basically get one-shotted by an imp fireball or a gun blast from the big gun zombie soldiers. I got super duper close to silver on the first level but not quite. It's a great addition to the game that gives one a reason to go back. I think this could basically replace Devil Daggers for me now that I'm pretty much done with that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #87 on: Monday, December 12, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »
Absolutely loving arcade mode. Such a great addition to the game.

But bumping for this:

The first noclip documentary from Danny O'Dwyer is up this morning! Haven't watched yet, but the trailers were awesome. Even showed never-before-seen Doom 4 footage, so I'm excited to see what they reveal here.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, December 17, 2016, 01:05:07 AM »
I watched through all 3 part of that documentary tonight, and it was really great.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #89 on: Saturday, December 17, 2016, 01:07:19 AM »
Yeah, I loved all of them. Really good stuff. Hugo Martin was the best part. That guy was a lot of fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #90 on: Friday, December 23, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »
Speaking of, here's the Hugo Martin extended interview, which is great also:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #91 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 05:57:51 PM »
Shacknews - Doom: To Hell And Back.

This is a retrospective on the entire DOOM Franchise, from Doom 1 to Doom 2016.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #92 on: Friday, June 30, 2017, 09:36:08 PM »
I finally bought this, and its great. Really takes to heart the idea that movement is your defense. You run so fast and can jump all over, plus the majority of attacks against you are projectiles you can avoid. So good. I love searching for secrets and exploring the maps. Just got past the level where you return from hell (for the first time? I dont know if you go back later). Pinkies made their appearance and they are right bastards. Seems they cant climb though so if you can get on top of something you can just plink at them.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 04:06:50 AM »
Still want to go back and play through this again. Seriously considering using a week of my life after China to do it, too, despite how much shit I have to do.