Author Topic: router issue. gar.  (Read 4677 times)

Offline JacksRag(e)

router issue. gar.
« on: Saturday, May 17, 2008, 12:26:06 AM »
I've been using my router for a good two or three years already and it's not had any problems at all until today.  While I was at work, something happened to my network and all the laptops on my home network disconnected and couldn't rediscover it anymore.  I tried to reconnect but found that the SSID wasn't the same as in my setup page.

One letter in the SSID was different from my original SSID, specifically the third letter.  For example, my network was named 'hoob' but the laptops recognized it as 'honb' so I changed it to 'rhymenoceros' but the computers again recognized it as 'rhxmenoceros.'  I tried changing the names again, tried changing the channels it broadcast on, and I reset the router and restored factoring settings.

Nothing else I've tried has worked.  The computer that's directly connected the router works fine, but the wireless are not connecting at all.  Could the router be on the verge of dying?  Is there somethin going on with the antennas and something in it's gone bad?  I'm not sure what else it could be, so short of running out and buying a new router, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has had this problem before or has heard of it.  I searched the net for anything resembling my problem but haven't had any luck.  This is bullschnickey...I just got an xbox360 network adapter to play online and this happens.  What the frick?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: router issue. gar.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 17, 2008, 12:01:17 PM »
So if you try to connect using the weird SSID does it work?

But yeah, it could be dying.  I remember I had a wireless NIC die on me.  It could connect to open networks, but it couldn't maintain a good connection to any encrypted network.  The thing lasted only like a year and a half.

You might try upgrading the firmware or getting 3rd party firmware like Tomato or dd-wrt and see if that makes any difference at all but I'm willing to bet that it's toast.

Offline JacksRag(e)

Re: router issue. gar.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 17, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
Nah, you can't even connect to the new SSID, it just idles or tells you the network is out of range.  And upgrading didn't do any good as it dies about 3/4 through every time.  No luck at all...I just went out and bought a new router...bah.  Hopefully, that works.