Author Topic: Alan Wake -> Update: AW leaving Steam + GOG w/ 90% off sale (Reply 189)  (Read 54468 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Alan Wake -> Update: IGN has 15 min vid hands-on w/ PC version
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
Well, friend of mine gave me some cabbage to snag this as a belated Christmas present... glad I picked it up. It's really quite fun. I'm a little disappointed because what really prompts me to play this is the fact that I can no longer play my copy of Deadly Premonition on 360 (due to the fucking thing RRODing), and this is much more constrained. So far you seem to spend 90% of your time in evil darkness and doom mode, shooting bad dudes and exploring around, which is quite fun and has some solid systems at work, but I was hoping for more time to just explore the town in the daytime, talking to people and all that. There's really not much of that at all. The game is heavily focused on the action.

Still, liking it a lot. The environments are great, and while the whole thing is a tad rough around the edges, the updates do make it look nicer. Also worth noting: all gaming waterfalls pale in comparison to Skyrim's. You just can't say "wow that's pretty" when looking at one of those scenes in another game after how convincingly Skyrim managed it.

This makes me want to watch some Twin Peaks really bad. And, frustratingly, it hasn't at all curbed my desire to play Deadly Premonition. Why the fuck didn't they release it for PS3 in the US? WHY I ASK YOU?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #161 on: Sunday, February 19, 2012, 12:40:12 AM »
How is anyone playing anything other than Skyrim in their spare time boggles my mind. All my time seems to be going to that game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #162 on: Sunday, February 19, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »
How is anyone playing anything other than Skyrim in their spare time boggles my mind. All my time seems to be going to that game.
For me, the below is especially true w/ Skyrim and KOA: Reckoning, since they're so damn big.
After playing an extensive amount of hours or so w/ any game [20-30+ hours or so w/ the same game], I just need a damn break from it.
I just need a diversion, for a short time period and all.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 19, 2012, 09:17:03 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #163 on: Sunday, February 19, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »
After 120 hours it started to wear a bit thin. Actually, that's not at all true. I just realized I needed to stop spending so much time with it. It's on the back burner for now. I'll revisit it eventually, but probably not for a while. It does what it does extremely well, but after playing the equivalent of 2 or 3 lesser games' worth of content, I needed a break.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #164 on: Sunday, February 19, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
After 120 hours it started to wear a bit thin. Actually, that's not at all true. I just realized I needed to stop spending so much time with it. It's on the back burner for now. I'll revisit it eventually, but probably not for a while. It does what it does extremely well, but after playing the equivalent of 2 or 3 lesser games' worth of content, I needed a break.
Exactly.
After over 80-something hours in total w/ Skyrim and around over 21 hours w/ KOA: Reckoning, I just feel like I need a different game, even if it's at least for a few days.
MW3 MP Free Weekend that Steam has going on is perfect for me, right now - it's just something else entirely, just to get me out of the fantasy mode for a bit.
W/ both Skyrim and KOA: Reckoning, I think I've been playing too much medieval-fantasy RPG's of late - hehe.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #166 on: Monday, February 20, 2012, 10:04:55 AM »
Boy, Microsoft sure knew what they were talking about.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #167 on: Monday, February 20, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »
Boy, Microsoft sure knew what they were talking about.

LOL @ that.
That's nothing new w/ them.
Hell, just look at the epic fail that is G4WL...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #168 on: Monday, February 20, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
LOL @ that.
That's nothing new w/ them.
Hell, just look at the epic fail that is G4WL...

A sarcastic comment targeting a video game company to MysterD is like a bleeding fish in the sea to a shark.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »
Joystiq -> Alan Wake's emergence from darkness to cult status.

Alan Wake PC
After years of waiting, PC gamers have finally been given a chance to visit the fictional, possessed town of Bright Falls, the setting for Alan Wake's story. The PC version was always something Remedy wanted to do, Hakkinen tells me. After getting Microsoft's "blessing," Remedy set off to bring the game to PC, hiring Finnish developer Nitro Games to port the title.

"It's part of our heritage," he tells me, listing Remedy's PC catalog. Within 48 hours of releasing the game on PC, Remedy recouped costs associated with its development.

Bringing the game to PC took about five months, Hakkinen says, with a team of about eight. Some allowances were made, however. The PC version uses the Xbox 360 cutscenes, rather than recreated ones specific for the platform. This was due to time and resource constraints, Hakkinen explains. Regardless, Alan Wake on PC looks gorgeous.

Alan Wake is a rarity in this industry. Few titles push through a rocky development, contend with high-profile foes, and survive to tell a new tale. It is a cult hit, and we're all waiting for the next chapter.

Is Alan Wake's American Nightmare coming to PC eventually?
"Oh, God. You're killing me," Remedy Entertainment's Oskari Hakkinen groaned when I pressed him for details on PC plans for Alan Wake's American Nightmare. "I've got nothing to announce at this point," he moans softly into his headset. After a moment of silence I burst into laughter and he quickly joins me.

As Head of Franchise Development, Oskari -- or Ozz, as he asks people to call him -- he'd certainly know Remedy's plan for Alan Wake's XBLA title coming to PC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #170 on: Thursday, February 23, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »
Alan Wake PC patched to Version 1.02 via Steam.

Alan Wake Update Released
Product Update - Valve
10:55
Alan Wake v1.02 release notes:

• Fixed problems of game not moving forward and gameplay not triggering properly after videos.
• Fixed flickering trees on Nvidia
• Real Traditional Chinese translation for added PC strings.
• Fix that the Developer Video Commentary volume is more sensible
• Fix that Localized cinematic audio volume is at correct volume and adjustable
• Fix that controller vibration works (note that it's disabled by default)
• Fix that blur occasionally got re-enabled even if -noblur command line option was specified
• Added "-rigidcamera" command line option for those who are sensitive to the default mouse/camera controls.
• Added possibility to bind mouse buttons 4 and 5
• Unofficial support for running the game in lower resolutions than 1024x768 using command line options
• Prevent binding controller keys to keyboard actions (prevents odd problems)
• Better CPU thread assignment for 3-Core AMD machines (smoother gameplay)
• Big thanks for the PC fans out there! We are constantly working on improving the game based on your feedback, please keep it coming!
• See our forum for up to date troubleshooting and patch information: http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7759

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Alan Wake -> Update: PC version patched to V 1.02
« Reply #171 on: Friday, February 24, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »
Nice! Still enjoying the game. Think I'm on... chapter 4? I forget. It's been a great ride so far, and the combat is surprisingly satisfying.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #172 on: Friday, February 24, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
Nice! Still enjoying the game. Think I'm on... chapter 4? I forget. It's been a great ride so far, and the combat is surprisingly satisfying.

Actually, I'd figure the combat would be good.
I mean, these guys [Remedy] made Max Payne 1 and 2 - the combat in that was awesome.

How is the story?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #173 on: Friday, February 24, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
Actually, I'd figure the combat would be good.
I mean, these guys [Remedy] made Max Payne 1 and 2 - the combat in that was awesome.

How is the story?

So far so good. I hadn't read anything about the game or its structure so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that it's set up like a TV show! Complete with a "previously..." segment at the start of each new episode. I'm really enjoying it. Glad it finally made a its way to the PC and with triumphant success (critically and financially).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #174 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 12:54:04 AM »
Yeah, but this guy isn't Max Payne. He's supposed to be a writer. Traditionally, that's somebody who does nothing but sit around and has to remind themselves to get up and go for a walk every day to avoid getting fat. I wasn't sure how they were going to pull it off, but they found a convincing mechanic that's fun and believable, and the enemies aren't as goofy as I was afraid they'd be.

Story is good so far. Interesting, comes at a steady pace, keeps you wanting more. I don't know if it will slip into being goofy and stupid at some point or will stay grounded, but so far it's done a good job.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #175 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 01:01:56 AM »
Had been hoping Que would pick this up some day. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 03:57:48 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Alan Wake -> Update: 2 million sold across PC and X360
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »
Can you please keep headlines to editing the original post and not adding new ones?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alan Wake -> Update: 2 million sold across PC and X360
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »
Can you please keep headlines to editing the original post and not adding new ones?

Sure.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Alan Wake -> Update: American Nightmare found in Steam registry (4-24)
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 10:52:56 AM »
Well this is surprising. Alan Wake is on GoG.com

It has a launch price of $15 for the game and both DLC, which is half off. DRM free!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »

Also, Steam is matching the offer with a Midweek Madness sale. Although GOG.com releases are completely DRM-free!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »
Looks like Alan Wake: American Nightmare is going to GOG, as well...AWESOME!

Alan Wake: American Nightmare = $13.49 alone for Pre-Order.
Buy both Alan Wake ($15 currently) + AW: American Nightmare, you'll get American Nightmare for $11.24 [extra 25% off].

EDIT:
I just couldn't resist GOG's deal w/ AW + American Nightmare...
Just a great deal for a recent released PC game & a pre-order on a PC game....
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 04:25:20 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, June 30, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
[rant]

I just want to know...

Why the hell is the DODGE button on the same key as the SPRINT button?

This is getting ridiculous w/ action-orientated PC-ported games having the same key do two things, i.e....
Fallout 3 - RELOAD [tap] and PUT WEAPON AWAY [hold] are on the SAME key;
Mass Effect 3 - Roll [tap] and RUN [hold] are on the same key.
Alan Wake - Dodge [button tap] and SPRINT [hold] are on the same key.

Hey, guys - CREATE EXTRA separate keys for us PC gamers who use KB/mouse, if you gonna do this!
We have enough keys on our keyboard to handle this shit!

[/rant]

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, June 30, 2012, 12:34:54 PM »
[rant]

I just want to know...

Why the hell is the DODGE button on the same key as the SPRINT button?

This is getting ridiculous w/ action-orientated PC-ported games having the same key do two things, i.e....
Fallout 3 - RELOAD [tap] and PUT WEAPON AWAY [hold] are on the SAME key;
Mass Effect 3 - Roll [tap] and RUN [hold] are on the same key.
Alan Wake - Dodge [button tap] and SPRINT [hold] are on the same key.

Hey, guys - CREATE EXTRA separate keys for us PC gamers who use KB/mouse, if you gonna do this!
We have enough keys on our keyboard to handle this shit!

[/rant]
I have the opposite problem with Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

GRFS adopted many things from Splinter Cell Conviction, one of which is the cover and move-to-cover system: press SPACE to take cover, press/hold SPACE to move to next cover. Apparently in GRFS they decided to split the two into SPACE to take cover and SHIFT to switch cover. However, when you use a gamepad it is one button A.

I prefer it when devs give us the option to set two key binds to a command. Quite a few do, but in shoddy ports I guess it's too much to expect any level of customization or versatility.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, June 30, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
I really want to love Alan Wake - i.e. there's so much to really like about this game (story; premise; voice-acting; atmosphere; graphics; etc) - but the controls here are killing me, whether using KB/mouse or Gamepad! I just don't like the controls b/c of silly stuff like this. Sometimes I just want to do a short sprint, but a quick-tap does a dodge, so Alan Wake dodges nothing, then enemy clobbers me b/c he sees an opening. It's worse when fighting mobs of enemies - might as well toss my KB/mouse or Gamepad out the windows. To make matters worse, there's some poorly placed checkpoint saves here, too....ugh!

Offline ren

• Veteran
Re: Alan Wake
« Reply #186 on: Sunday, December 29, 2013, 01:00:41 PM »
Just finished episode one. It's super cheesy and I'm pretty sick of light vs dark plot devices. It's pretty fun though; definitely a nice change of pace.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #187 on: Sunday, December 29, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »
And now I'm done episode 2. The cheese-factor is wearing off, I'm getting sucked in.

I don't think I've quite figured out how to balance the flashlight and the pistol. It seems like for some bad guys I need an entire round and others go down in one shot.

Also, I skimmed through this 5 page thread and can't find anybody actually talking about the game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday, January 08, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »
I played a good chunk then stopped. The story wasn't drawing me in quite enough, and I wasn't really in the market for an action game. I wanted this to have something more to it, but it really doesn't, just sets up more action scenarios instead of diving into character or plot. Which is why I didn't come back for a while. I've wanted to, though. I just really can't now that my computer is dying. I can't play games on here anymore for the most part.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #189 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »
Alan Wake [original] will be leaving Steam b/c its music license is expiring, so 90% off sale on the franchise is happening this weekend starting Saturday:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/12/alan-wake-removed-from-steam-gog/

American Nightmare will be fine + will stay on Steam, since they did get renegotiate those licenses and work that one out.

EDIT:
It'll be also on sale at 90% off on GOG + will likely also be removed from XBL:
https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/12/alan-wake-is-being-pulled-from-steam-and-the-xbox-store-after-this-weekend/

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alan Wake -> Update: AW leaving Steam b/c music license issues (Reply 189)
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 10:39:22 AM »
Alan Wake games are now 90% off on Steam + GOG.