Author Topic: Alan Wake -> Update: AW leaving Steam + GOG w/ 90% off sale (Reply 189)  (Read 53043 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Alan Wake THREAD -- Update: New trailer added
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 01:09:46 AM »
Heh, still have no idea what its about, but maybe thats a good thing. Could be something fresh and interesting. However the video ran at about 5 frames a second for me, anybody else have that problem?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 03:14:47 AM »
Heh, still have no idea what its about, but maybe thats a good thing. Could be something fresh and interesting. However the video ran at about 5 frames a second for me, anybody else have that problem?
No, although I have had that problem with other videos. In that case I try to download the FLV using a Flash Video add-on in Firefox.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 08:15:27 AM »
Looks mildly interesting. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »
Not much info is really out there.

But, from what I know from interviews, I can give you a little bit:
--This is thriller/action game
(I'm thinking along the lines of say a much more polished AITD 2008)
--Alan Wake is a famous writer who comes to some small town and has some psychological problems himself that he is trying to deal with
(sounds Silent Hill-like, but probably minus the occult and minus supernatural stuff)
--There will be vehicles/driving elements (a la AITD 2008)
--Game will have an open-world to explore (to an extent)
--The game will be told in a style of episodes
--B/c the game world is somewhat open to the player, the player will have to initiate these "episodes" himself to get the story going (a la most open-world games).
--Entire game is in the style of "ONE Season of a TV series, but in a DVD game box" (a la AITD 2008).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »
You are like a video game encyclopedia. Thanks for the info, it was new to me actually.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 02:42:32 PM »
Personally, I think Alan Wake will turn out to be the game everybody hoped AITD 2008 could've actually been (straight out the box).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 09:27:51 PM »
I wasn't being sarcastic... that was all good info.

What is AITD 2008?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 09:43:21 PM »
The latest Alone in the Dark, that had high ambition but ultimately failed miserably and was hated by nearly everyone, but which may also find redemption in a new version and possibly a patch for the old version, which if successful, may show the game to actually be somewhat remarkable and unique in a vast expanse of sameness.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 11:45:16 PM »
I'm still very interested in the new Alone in the Dark game.  Does it really look like a new, better version is forthcoming?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 11:48:42 PM »
Supposedly.  D posted some stuff in the thread that's floating around.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 04:16:44 AM »
I get the impression it's gonna be a lot like Fahrenheit (a.k.a. Indigo Prophecy).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 06:58:01 AM »
Hopefully just... not as completely stupid.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 06:59:38 AM »
Hopefully just... not as completely stupid.
The latter half of that game just fell apart.. That was a shame.

I'm looking forward to Quantic Dream's upcoming Hard Rain.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 07:02:47 AM »
I hope they learned their lessons about what idiots they are.  Awesome game idea utterly destroyed by horrible writing and an overactive imagination.  I hope they realize that, but the game didn't get quite enough flack, so it makes me worry. Too many people are stupid enough to enjoy that kind of tripe.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »
I get the impression it's gonna be a lot like Fahrenheit (a.k.a. Indigo Prophecy).

Personally, I don't think I've really seen many games fall apart in both the storyline and gameplay aspects as much as Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit did. That last 1/3rd sucked. A complete shame.

Alan Wake looks like a cross between:
--GTA (driving elements with an open-world to explore)
--AITD 2008 (game told as a Whole Entire TV Season in a game DVD Game Box)
--Silent Hill (survival horror / action-adventure gameplay style)

Quote from: GPW
I'm still very interested in the new Alone in the Dark game.  Does it really look like a new, better version is forthcoming?
Yes.
PS3 is getting AITD: Inferno Edition, sometime next month.
X-Box 360 version will be getting a patch over XB Live to fix these issues in AITD 2008.
Nobody knows if the PC version of AITD 2008 will be getting these fixes.

About AITD 2008, it could be great. It has a lot of awesome and very unique ideas, which basically lack proper execution in the technical and design aspects. You know, if only Atari let this game sit in the cooker for another few months, it wouldn't have been so...flawed. See, I think all AITD 2008 game needs is all them fixes on both the X360 version (which it will be getting via XB Live, eventually) and the PC version (unknown if we're actually getting those fixes on the PC version) that are already going to be applied to the upcoming AITD 2008 release on the PS3 (which will be called AITD: Inferno).

At times, AITD 2008 is one of the best survival horror (action-adventures) I've ever played. At other times, it's also one of the worst and most frustrating action-adventures I've ever played (b/c of technical and stupid design issues).

Okay, here's my thread on AITD 2008 / AITD: Inferno, if you're interested.

For some of my opinion on (the unpatched) AITD 2008 on the PC, look here at this exact post. Many of the links from GT are here that show off the changes that are planned to the game in grave detail.
So you know, PC version of AITD 2008 does come equipped with Securom Internet Edition, so you will have to activate it AND you are limited to TWO INSTALLS with revokes.

Also, if you want to see the planned improvements for AITD 2008, check here.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 04:17:32 PM »
Thanks D.  That helps, and I'm going to make sure to keep an eye on it in the future.

As for Indigo Prophesy - I agree 100%.  It went from great to completely retarded in the blink of an eye.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 07:33:52 PM »
Remedy quotes some lines from the game on their boards, which IGN posted up as news.

Alan Wake Plot Reveal
The game's protagonist passes a note with hints about the story to come.
by Hilary Goldstein

February 20, 2009 - One thing is certain. Alan Wake the horror novelist leans heavily on his copy editor. On Remedy's official Alan Wake forums, the community manager posted some text taken from the long-awaited horror game. The post is a positive sign that Alan Wake is still on the way.

The in-game note from Alan Wake includes some spelling errors. Such as when he states he can no "loner" be sure if the character in his novel will survive the experience. It's unclear if the misspellings are intentional. The note offers a peek into the plot, though much of this was already known. Alan Wake is a novelist working on his next book. But the pages he's written are mysteriously being edited, and new pages are appearing seemingly out of nowhere. The protagonist's name has been changed to Alan Wake and aspects of the plot are turning the novel into a horror story.

Here is the complete and unedited quote:

The amount of pages keeps growing each night. There are also new edits on the old pages. They keep getting more aggressive. The story is rewriting itself. The protagonist is now my namesake, and his wife is called Alice. The most worrying aspect: the genre seems to be shifting. It's turning into a horror story. I can no loner be certain whether the hero can succeed or even survive. Apart for the jumbled fragments of bad dreams and an oppressive feeling, I can remember nothing of the process when I wake up. But this morning, a breakthrough! When I came to my senses, I could smell her perfume on my shirt. I am close. I know it. I must push on.

- Alan Wake

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alan Wake THREAD -- Update: Quote from the game posted by Remedy
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 06:13:53 AM »
VERY FEW New details emerge on Alan Wake.

We're not quite sure how, considering the media blackout approach that Alan Wake developer Remedy Entertainment has taken, but Norwegian gaming site Gamer.no sat down for dinner with head of franchise development for Remedy, Oskari Häkkinen, this past week. New details were (unsurprisingly) scant, though we were able to glean a handful of facts from the interview. For instance, the game has, "a lot less action than Max Payne," the studio's last franchise which recently had a current-gen update announced.

Aside from an emphasis on story, Mr. Häkkinen says that weather effects will play a role in gameplay, specifically noting, "Everything in the game can be influenced by the weather. If you are running the car will run conditions will be worse by heavy rain, than if the weather was good ... the weather is dynamic, since it will influence how you play the game."

Furthermore, Mr. Häkkinen tells Gamer.no that, "Lighting is very important in the game, and this is a unique item that really has not been used in the game before on the way we do it." The obvious comparison here would be to last year's conceptually strong Alone in the Dark -- here's hoping Remedy can deliver on the lighting concept where Alone in the Dark more or less failed.

So, we officially still know little-to-nothing! We'll keep an eye out for information at E3 2009 in June, but, ya know, we're not holding our breath or anything.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Alan Wake THREAD -- Update: Will Alan Wake be at E3 2009? (Reply 58)
« Reply #60 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
Saw it in the MS press conference, and I'm sort of interested. I had pretty much no expactations for the game since we'd seen nothing. It doesn't look mind blowing, but it might be fun. I'd need to see better video/screens, but it didn't look that visually impressive. (though I was watching on a 17 inch non-HD TV)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Alan Wake THREAD
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, June 04, 2009, 05:04:40 PM »
G4TV had a very nice hands-on demo there on the psychological-thriller game Alan Wake with Sam Lake of Remedy.

I found this different, in some ways. You have to use your flashlight and place it on an object, to be able to say shoot the object or harm the object in any way. 

Besides the usual assortment of enemies, Inanimate objects -- such as stop signs, cars, etc -- just suddenly became enemies of Alan and were flying towards him, getting in his way, etc etc...

Wow, it really looks like Alan has lost his freakin' mind...heh.

EDIT:
From G4TV, Alan Wake gameplay video from E3 2009
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 06, 2009, 09:26:02 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, July 05, 2009, 10:15:44 AM »
More details emerge on Alan Wake

- Alan Wake is not late. Before E3 2009, Remedy have never given a release date and all previous dates found floating on the web were made up by other sources. In fact Remedy have never missed a release date for any of their previous games and does not intend to with Alan Wake. Alan Wake will be released Spring 2010 for the Xbox 360.

- The original vision hasn’t changed but the way the game plays out has been experimented with along the development process. One of the major changes is that the game is no longer a sandbox type of game where the player can roam freely (ala Grand Theft Auto). Since Remedy wanted to focus heavily on having a compelling storyline, sandbox style gameplay does not mix well with what Remedy wanted to achieve. Remedy stressed that this does not mean the game will be linear and that you have to follow a set path throughout the game. “The player must not feel they’re being pulled from strings. The player must feel like they’re making the decisions themselves”.

- Throughout the game the player will be finding the missing pages from Alan Wakes new manuscript, however not all the pages will be found through the normal game’s missions. Similar to how Bioshock handled it’s audio logs, Alan Wake will allow you to roam freely around looking for manuscript pages.

- Remedy has said from the beginning that light will be an important element of the gameplay. Alan Wake’s most important weapons are his flashlight and other light sources found in the game world. The dark force can possess both the residents and animals in Bright Falls and make even lifeless objects attack Alan. They are vulnerable only in the light. (Just an addition to this. Light seems to strip the shield that the darkness adds and once that shield is stripped you can use conventional weapons, like a gun, to get rid of the enemy -ADM)

- Even though Microsoft is publishing Alan Wake, Remedy still own all rights to the game and Alan Wake is planned to be only the beginning of the story. Remedy arn’t covering the fact that they want to expand out into other forms of media as well. Although Remedy have yet to make any decisions on this.

- Perhaps the biggest surprise is that Remedy haven’t spoken about the PC version of the game yet and the release of a PC version is up in the air. When asked about it Remedy replied saying that both Microsoft and them are only speaking about the Xbox 360 version at the moment.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, July 05, 2009, 03:01:20 PM »
What?  360 only?  I thought this was one of those games that would require DX10.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, July 05, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »
Thats MS for you. It'll come to PC 2 years after the 360 version and it'll require Windows 7 and DX11. Just watch.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, July 05, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »
And it'll suck.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, July 05, 2009, 03:57:51 PM »
What?  360 only?  I thought this was one of those games that would require DX10.

Originally, yes -- it was going to be Win Vista (DX10) and 360 ONLY.

I wouldn't be surprised if M$ funded them some money -- and as part of the agreement, they had to make it a 360 game exclusive (whether for a certain period of time or forever).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2009, 02:57:58 PM »
Markus of Remedy speaks on Alan Wake PC.

Hey all,

I'm a PC gamer at heart (have a Core i7, Radeon 4890, 5.1 audio setup at home) so I do appreciate your concerns.

Unfortunately all I can say at this point is that we're focusing all our efforts on the 360 version and will be making comments in regards to the PC at a later in time.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, July 08, 2009, 07:22:54 AM »
Nice too see Markus showing off his e-penis.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Alan Wake THREAD - Update: Alan Wake PC is up to Microsoft to decide (Reply 70)
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »
This is absolute bullshit. This game has always been promoted as a PC game until all this recent bullshit.

I know what happened. They saw this and realized it was actually a very good game, and decided it would sell their fucking 360s better as an exclusive.

Note: I use my 360 regularly, and I am pissed, because I want it on PC.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Alan Wake THREAD - Update: Alan Wake PC is up to Microsoft to decide (Reply 70)
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 11:48:23 PM »
Alan Wake: The real Halo 2

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #74 on: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 12:14:58 AM »
Alan Wake: The real Halo 2

That's actually a pretty good comparison.

What angers me is that this has been promoted as a PC game since development, and it is obvious that somewhere down the road, MS stepped in.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 04:03:00 AM »
That's actually a pretty good comparison.

What angers me is that this has been promoted as a PC game since development, and it is obvious that somewhere down the road, MS stepped in.

Yeah, it was originally heralded as it would be a Windows Vista exclusive and X360 Console exclusive game.

But since the game didn't pop out when Vista came out and since Vista's been out for a while, Wake really won't be promoting Vista much -- especially since Win 7 is around the corner.

Also, it's as if Micro$oft threw some $$$ Remedy's way and Remedy basically agreed to M$'s terms...  :(

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #76 on: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 07:25:44 AM »
Just listened to the latest PC Gamer podcast. They are pretty furious about this, and went as far as to say that this was the clearest evidence that MS was trying to sabotage PC gaming.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 07:50:47 AM »
Just listened to the latest PC Gamer podcast. They are pretty furious about this, and went as far as to say that this was the clearest evidence that MS was trying to sabotage PC gaming.

I'm also very annoyed about no announcement for Fable 2 PC and still GoW2 not getting a PC port.

And since we have Halo 1 and 2 on the PC, when the hell is Halo 3 PC coming here?  :o

EDIT:
Also, I think the DLC Exclusive to 360 crap and not getting DLC released on the PC that Microsoft and many other dev's been pulling -- i.e. PoP 2008, TR: Underworld, Saints Row 2 -- is also on the list of stuff that's really trying to hurt PC gaming.

I'm still waiting on seeing GTA4: Lost And The Damned getting a PC release. And, is Ballad of Gay Tony coming to the PC, as well? Who the hell knows...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
I think your train went a little off track.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 09:21:06 AM »
I think your train went a little off track.

Well....do you think Microsoft might've paid off some of those companies to have 360-exclusive DLC not come to the PC? I think so.

Microsoft has done plenty of things in the past God knows how many years to annoy PC gamers, to make us wonder if they are sabotaging PC gaming -- from having (originally a PC game) something named Halo become a console franchise; bringing more PC dev's over to the consoles (Bungie, Lionhead, Epic, BethSoft, Ion Storm, Irrational, Remedy, etc); Exclusive 360 games that could've been on the PC (Fable 2, GOW2, etc); Win XP not getting Direct X 10 support; etc etc.

I don't think Alan Wake is the clearest evidence of Microsoft trying to sabotage PC gaming -- I think it's just another one of a list of MANY.

Though, on another token -- I'm glad Windows will be getting Natal.