Author Topic: Reign Over Me  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Reign Over Me
« on: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »
The title comes from "Love Reign o'er Me", The Who's song from Quadrophenia.  This movie affected me deeply.  It shocked me to identify so much with Charlie, played by Adam Sandler.  It acted as a sort of wake-up call, though I wasn't really asleep.  Charlie lost his family in one of the plane crashes from 9/11, but the movie has absolutely nothing to do with that act of war or its politics.  It's all about painfully perpetuated reaction to grievous loss.  While "posttraumatic stress disorder" is too strong a term to apply to my own case, there's no question in my mind now that I am undergoing some form of traumatic stress.  I've been reading up on dissociative disorders and related psychology since the movie finished on a satellite channel a couple of hours ago.  Mind-blowing stuff.

The movie is very worthwhile, even if I'm biased in terms of the themes.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: Reign Over Me
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 11:30:22 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, why do you have so much stress in you life?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 11:33:38 PM »
I lost my family, my home, my job, and basically myself.  I have no prospects, self-esteem, or ability to concentrate on anything.  When I try to focus on problems, the solutions seem nonexistent, and the hill to climb way too steep.  It provokes crippling anxiety and the need to distract myself with anything.  Games work.  Music works.  Movies work.  I have never gotten over the loss of my children in my daily life, and getting to see them occasionally only resets the pain meter to the top afterward.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 11:33:57 PM »
I remember really wanting to see it for a variety of reasons, and I'd forgotten about it entirely.  Thanks for the reminder!  I'll try to post again if I manage to see it soon.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 02:54:31 PM »
This was a very good movie. Highly recommend this one.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 03:01:13 PM »
Without being able to relate to it at all I can back up your sentiment of what a powerful and amazing movie it is.

The Pearl Jam version of the song during the credits is kickass too.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 03:09:48 PM »
I'm listening to it right now!  I concur.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »
Sorry about your situation, sounds like it sucks.

I'll have to check out this movie, I prefer Sandler in comedies, but I did like "Punch Drunk Love"...