Author Topic: Video Card question  (Read 826 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Video Card question
« on: Monday, July 07, 2008, 05:49:55 AM »
I was pondering about possibly making some upgrades to my system, if its even worth the money. Memory is cheap now, so that one will be easy. The CPU I have now is a Pentium 4 2.6 GHz, so I could go to a 3.0 GHz one or maybe a 3.2 which is as high as the motherboard will muster I think. The video card is what I really dont know about. The motherboard only supports AGP 8x so that limits my options, right now I have a Geforce 6600 GT. I was wanting to know what is the fastest AGP card out right now, and would it be worth upgrading from the one I have now? This is all theoretical and Im doubting Id want to spend money on all this when building a new one would probably be a better investment.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Video Card question
« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 07, 2008, 07:59:13 AM »
Yeah I would pretty much not bother upgrading that system at this point.  You're bailing water out of a sinking ship.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 07, 2008, 09:27:23 AM »
Because of your AGP mobo, it is very much a waste of money to be putting anything new into your system.  It would be worth building a new system altogether.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 07, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »
You're definitely better off investing in a new system.

I was considering the same thing last year with older AGP mobo and I just decided to go ahead a build a new one altogether. Money well-spent and no regrets!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 07, 2008, 03:00:21 PM »
Yeah, I can get onboard with that.  PC parts are generally pretty cheap right now.  A new mobo, mid-range Core2Duo, and decent PCIx card (8800GT/9600GT) won't set you back much at all.  Like I posted about earlier, I just bought a 9600 GT for $100, and the price of that has gone down a tiny bit (on sale) since.  Beyond that, the 8800GT has dropped into the exact same price range, so that might be a better option. 

If you can transfer your HDD, drives, and PSU/Case over as well, you're really balling.  Ram costs pretty much nothing, especially in the kits they sell for dual chan. motherboards these days, and you can always upgrade your HDD for more storage whenever you need it for pretty cheap.