Author Topic: Borderlands: Diablo with guns  (Read 148135 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Borderlands: Diablo with guns
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »
Yeah, I totally dug the box-art, as well.
I wonder how many parents are gonna moan about that (suicidal) cover...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #41 on: Monday, August 17, 2009, 01:48:50 PM »
GameRevolution - Preview on Borderlands

Death/Revival System in Co-Op Mode
Not only will you have the opportunity to play through the story as one of these mercs, but you’ll also get the chance to work in tandem with other players online in a four-player co-op mode. A group of real people makes for a lot better company and help than a A.I. dog who dies too easily. And if you or one of your companions pulls a dogmeat and takes one hit too many, you’ll at least be given a chance at survival through the Left 4 Dead-like revival system. Essentially, your view goes all wonky like the Matrix drunk on Patron, and you have to ward off assailants as your team tries to rescue you before you bleed out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »
I'm getting more interested in this as time goes by.  When's the release date?  It looks like it'd be a blast in multi.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 07:49:29 PM »
Oct 20th is the current release date.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Friday, August 21, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »
Oct 20th is the current release date.

That just isn't soon enough around the corner, dammit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
Strategy Informer interview w/ Randy Pitchford and Steve Gibson of Gearbox on Borderlands.

Take Your Character & Inventory and use it on both SP and MP
Strategy Informer: Can you tell us more about how the co-op and single-player link into one another?

Steve Gibson: It’s seamless actually. You take your character from single-player and you can go and join friends or have them join your game at any time. Your characters and inventory transfer back and forth, and you can play splitscreen, system link or online and it’s all persistent. That’s something that we found frustrating in Diablo, when you play with your character up to level 20 and I’ve got this frickin’ awesome warrior and I want to go online and play with my friends, but I can’t because it’s separated. We feel like we’ve solved that in Borderlands.

Randy and Steve on what "Role-Playing Shooter" means.
Strategy Informer: Epic’s Cliff Bleszinski has said that the future of the FPS lies in becoming more like RPGs. That pretty much sums up Borderlands, so obviously you’d agree with that sentiment?

Randy Pitchford: Hell yeah, of course. I’ve just spent three years investing in that (laughs), so I’ve been thinking it for three years! I (also) think there’re a lot of vectors, but I think there’s something extremely compelling and compulsive about the feedback loop of RPG-style growth and when I think about how many hours I spent playing Diablo, the skill to play the game is pretty much the same skill you need to launch the application. You put your cursor over an icon, but then why the hell was I so taken with that game? It’s because of the compelling, compulsive feedback loop of growing my character and becoming a bad ass. Then there’s knowing that I can become even more bad ass if I get more gear and then I just can’t stop. No one’s really put that into a shooter properly, and coming from the shooter vector - when you think about it - they’re fast, visceral action.You’ll notice we call Borderlands an RPS - Role Playing Shooter, but we’re not fully RP, so you’re not going to run into a character and do a dialogue tree, which was a conscious decision because it just slows things down. That’s not Verhoeven, that’s like maybe the novel version, so dialogue trees are not a part of Borderlands but growth, levelling up and skill is.

Steve Gibson: Also from the shooter vector is not rolling dice on our attacks, so when you see critical hits, that’s based on your accuracy. Your critical hit on a Skag (Borderlands’ mutated, dog-like scavengers) is if you hit him when his mouth is open. Your critical hit on Spider Ants is when you hit them in the abdomen, or ass sac as Randy calls it.

Randy Pitchford: It is! It’s an ass sac!

Steve Gibson: So that’s much more rewarding as a shooter.

Randy Pitchford: The skill of shooting is about your tactics, your manoeuvring and where you’re aiming on your target that matters. I always hate the games where you’re rolling dice to decide whether you’re effective or not and it’s like, “No dude! I frickin’ shot him!”

PC Version Vs. Console Versions
Strategy Informer: Are there any differences between the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Borderlands?

Steve Gibson: All of the content will be identical. You obviously have advantages with being able to do higher resolution textures on PC, but the matchmaking will be different for all three platforms. The PC version isn’t much different other than looking better. We’re also still verifying whether we’ll be compatible with Games For Windows.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 04:07:04 PM »
From VE3D...
TWO gameplay vids from Borderlands from GamesCom 2009

Vid 1
Vid 2

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, September 01, 2009, 11:01:59 AM »
I've seen really little of this game, but heard a lot, and I'm pretty excited. I love FPS, and I love Diablo. If this is done as well as I'm hearing, I'll love it too.

EDIT: I just watched those 2 videos, and wow. I'm even more excited about this game now.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 01, 2009, 11:35:55 AM by W7RE »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, September 02, 2009, 02:06:53 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Monday, September 14, 2009, 08:47:55 PM »
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 07:38:58 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »
You know that 4-pack deal Valve did for L4D (and now L4D2)? They are doing the same for Borderlands. With the preorder discount it comes to a little over $33 a copy.

But then you have to use Steam, so....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 02:24:46 PM »
Does the game require Steam in general?  What does it use for MP infrastructure?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 02:33:13 PM »
Pretty sure it doesn't require Steam. You can buy it from GamersGate and they don't carry stuff that requires Steam. I don't think it uses GFWL for MP either.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
Fucking awesome.  It's a must-buy for me, then.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
Pretty sure it doesn't require Steam.
I think in some interviews back, Randy said it would use their very own Gearbox servers.
Don't quote me on that, though.

EDIT:
Actually, Mikey Neumann said it...

In the interview w/ The Shack, Mikey said...

Shack:  With Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, I can get an idea as to how the multiplayer setup will work on consoles. But what about PC? Is Gearbox doing its own thing there? Games for Windows Live?

Mikey Neumann: We are doing our own thing. It's gonna be lobby-based, we're trying to keep it as close to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 [offerings] as possible.
We want to make sure that everyone can play our game and have fun, it's gonna be a slightly simpler lobby, we still have all the options you have on the other ones. Maybe more, PC people like their options. We're gonna try to keep it as close as possible.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »
That just means there'll be another account for me to register and another password to remember.

If it's reliable then it'll be acceptable. The advantage that Steam and GFWL have are that they are established (relatively), I have my friends on both (though I'd rather just use one and right now it's tough to tell which one is winning in my books, it's a douchebag vs. turd sandwich campaign) and I can link up quickly.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 05:42:11 PM »
That just means there'll be another account for me to register and another password to remember.
Write it on a piece of paper or sticker and stuff that in your game-box! :P Write it in your game manual! :P

If it's reliable then it'll be acceptable. The advantage that Steam and GFWL have are that they are established (relatively), I have my friends on both (though I'd rather just use one and right now it's tough to tell which one is winning in my books, it's a douchebag vs. turd sandwich campaign) and I can link up quickly.
As long as they function properly (of course), agreed -- I don't see Steam going bye-bye anytime soon. Same w/ G4WL -- since Microsoft is the one who makes the OS's we all pretty much play games on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »
GameSpot Preview
Gamespot preview on Borderlands.
WARNING: It talks about higher-level content and does contain MINOR SPOILERS.

EDIT:
Gamasutra interview/ Randy Pitchford
5 page interview.

EDIT 2:
Borderlands - Skills Trees for all four characters exposed
TeamXBox.com shows off all the skills trees in Borderlands.

One of Roland's cool Medic-based abilities.
Cauterize: “Shooting team members heals them. The effect also works with grenades and rockets.”
« Last Edit: Monday, October 12, 2009, 09:06:39 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #62 on: Monday, October 12, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
Steam Version - Borderlands contests

Add Mikey Neumann
Mikey Neumann of Gearbox is on Twitter right now is taking PROFILE adds for ONLY those who pre-ordered Borderlands via Steam. You got less than 2 hours now, if you want to enter this contest.

So, if you did pre-order it, give him your Steam name on Twitter w/ the My Games Link, he'll check your Games list to see if you got BL added. If he adds you, you might see him pop on during one of your game sessions, play BL w/ you, and even drop some special loot for you.

EDIT:
FREE Steam version giveaway
Also, here's a Borderlands - Steam Version FREE giveaway contest.
Borderlands - Arts & Crafts Contest.

EDIT 2 - October 13th:
RockPaperShotgun.com takes on Borderlands
Hands-on preview here.

EDIT 3:
Securom DRM
Looks like Borderlands (Retail) will be equipped with some sort of Securom protection.

We don't know any details yet - on if it contains just a disc check only (Fallout 3); required activation; install limits; or any of that stuff yet. I'll sure those'll emerge soon enough probably.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 07:17:55 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 02:41:18 PM »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »
Quick look on Giant Bomb:
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-borderlands/17-1498/

This made me want the game even more. Specifically, he finds a random item on the vendor and gets all excited and blows all his money on it because he HAS TO HAVE IT. That's SO Diablo.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 09:19:20 PM »
haha, nice.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 03:29:24 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »
Quick look on Giant Bomb:
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-borderlands/17-1498/

This made me want the game even more. Specifically, he finds a random item on the vendor and gets all excited and blows all his money on it because he HAS TO HAVE IT. That's SO Diablo.

LMAO @ two players were dueling over who should get a specific piece of loot (TK Wave).
I bet there will be A LOT of that over in Co-Op Mode.

EDIT:
Oh man....Jeff got this killer shield, a gun that has regenerating bullets, and crazy health regeneration when he hits enemies.
That's mad crazy.
Just slaughter everything.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
I think Brad already had to TK Wave, but then he dropped it for whatever reason and Ryan snagged it before he could pick it back up. Then he refused to give it back. That part was great.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 05:27:25 PM »
I've been reading the Borerlands thread over on NeoGAF and holy shit, some people need to take the time out and go play Diablo 2. Some people are seriously apprehensive, and some previewers and even disappointed in the game. When they describe why, I want to scream "that's just like Diablo 2, you fucktard".

For example, Giantbomb's quick look shows them fighting skags. Then they skip to a second play through and there are more skags, but higher level. So people are assuming there's level scaling and the enemies dynamically get harder as you level up. "No, that's a new game+" Well not really, but I guess to someone that's never played Diablo, that's one way to explain it to them. Apparently there's a lot of bitching about the save system too, about how you can't save anywhere. No, you open checkpoints and save your CHARACTER. You know, like in Diablo. (apparently this was bitched about in the 1up podcast, the guy apparently lost all interest in the game because of the "bad save system")

So to anyone who hasn't played Diablo 2, you should. Not just to understand what this game is going for, but also because it's a fucking good game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »
Even though Borderlands is basically FPS meets Diablo 2 -- correct me if I'm wrong here -- I think the world itself is going to be WAY more open to the player to explore and loot than say Diablo 2.

EDIT:
Since the world is going to pretty open to the player in Borderlands and there's also going to be lots of side quests, maybe I should saying "Borderlands is basically FPS meets Sacred 2."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 05:53:05 PM »
Borderlands DLC that even Idol might kill for.
Borderlands - The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned DLC announced.
Screens of zombies in the link.

Tasked with keeping the workers of Jakobs Cove alive, Dr. Ned (who is not related to Dr. Zed from Fyrestone) does his job a little too well, creating zombies and other abominations that now run rampant in this region. Players will have to work alongside Dr. Ned as they embark on a quest to cure the inhabitants of Jakobs Cove in this full-fledged expansion filled with new enemies, new quests and rare loot drops.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 06:26:59 PM »
Damnit I hate DLC. $10? GAH!

But I'll probably buy it. Just look at it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »
God damn it.  That does look awesome.

... damn it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »
Damnit I hate DLC. $10? GAH!

But I'll probably buy it. Just look at it.

I must admit, that does look pretty bad-ass for DLC. I wonder how much new content it'll actually provide, in terms of hours of gameplay/quests, new enemies and new guns.

Only thing that feels really missing are ninjas, pirates, and dragons.

EDIT:
Oh, only other thing missing -- a gun that shoot shurikens.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #75 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 09:05:05 PM »
Borderlands seems to lose me the more I see of it. It's come so far from the first teaser we saw at the end of 2007, yet that seems like a steep deviation from what I originally found intriguing about it. It's like it took a wrong-turn into wacky land and lost it.

I understand Gearbox went for the cel-shading since they felt they wanted something different and they probably couldn't compete with visuals otherwise. Now it just feels like it's trying really hard to be the "awkwardly funny guy at the party," which only makes it come off as lame and unfunny, and it seems to be trying to adopt Team Fortress 2's aesthetic style as its own (with heavily desaturated colour).

The only thing I see that's relevant to Diablo now is loot, and it's not like Diablo ever advertised "87 bazillion swords and various stabbing weapons." Sure they added in some role-playing elements like experience and quests, but Diablo didn't create those conventions. The one thing that seems to be missing is the sense of a strong underlying story, which was a big part of Diablo (+Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction) for me. Everything about Borderlands just seems to be about a mad romp around a desert planet.

I'm glad they're not trying to recreate Diablo as a 1st-person shooter but why compare it to begin with and draw so much criticism. The whole "FPS and RPG made a baby.." ad campaign doesn't work either.. Well, it wouldn't be the first baby anyway.

Ungh.. I'm just filled with ennui and this is where I chose to vent.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 07:30:06 PM »
Borderlands seems to lose me the more I see of it. It's come so far from the first teaser we saw at the end of 2007, yet that seems like a steep deviation from what I originally found intriguing about it. It's like it took a wrong-turn into wacky land and lost it.
See, that trailer was NOT what I found intriguing about Borderlands at all. What I'm finding intriguing is the whole combo of HGL type of gameplay (first person shooter - if you went w/ a gun-related class) mixed with the Diablo aspect (Action-RPG). I been waiting for another game to try and expand upon what HGL had actually accomplished and learn from HGL's mistakes - another game to take another crack at getting this kind of game perfect. I think Borderlands is headed in the right direction, myself.

Now, take the above idea of mixing HGL and -- now throw this comic-book look (cel-shaded) is what did it for me and this puts me over the edge and really made me pay attention. The normal look was fine, but something felt missing. The game is so over-the-top like Diablo (with the abundance of looting, killing, and leveling up skills) and ridiculous in so many ways -- and this cel-shaded comic book look really does it to me and adds to this game. The ridiculously huge words of "Level up" on screen when I gain a level. The whole dueling thing, after slapping each other in the face -- it's gonna be awesome seeing gamers fighting over loot. I expect that'll happen a lot, too.

I understand Gearbox went for the cel-shading since they felt they wanted something different and they probably couldn't compete with visuals otherwise. Now it just feels like it's trying really hard to be the "awkwardly funny guy at the party," which only makes it come off as lame and unfunny, and it seems to be trying to adopt Team Fortress 2's aesthetic style as its own (with heavily desaturated colour).
XIII (2003) had done the cel-shaded look before TF2 (2007).

The only thing I see that's relevant to Diablo now is loot, and it's not like Diablo ever advertised "87 bazillion swords and various stabbing weapons." Sure they added in some role-playing elements like experience and quests, but Diablo didn't create those conventions.
No, they didn't -- but I think Diablo really took this style of the ARPG to a whole new level of insanity and popularity.

The one thing that seems to be missing is the sense of a strong underlying story, which was a big part of Diablo (+Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction) for me. Everything about Borderlands just seems to be about a mad romp around a desert planet.
If Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 was any indication, Gearbox knows how to really tell a story and a narrative. Whether they actually do it or not in Borderlands, we'll just have to wait and see, I guess -- since it really feels like the story has been kept under-wraps purposely.

I don't know if Gearbox doesn't want to spoil too much or what -- but we know all the characters are mercenaries; a big corporation is reverse engineering some alien weapons so they can try to use them (for their own agenda); and we're out to get these weapons; this corporation's armed goons comes after us once we hit like Level 15.

I'm glad they're not trying to recreate Diablo as a 1st-person shooter but why compare it to begin with and draw so much criticism. The whole "FPS and RPG made a baby.." ad campaign doesn't work either.. Well, it wouldn't be the first baby anyway.
I think they are making the comparisons to Diablo b/c of the way the game operates -- kills galore, loot galore, skill-tree galore, level-up galore. Even though Diablo does a great job of telling and presenting its story, that stuff is really not the main part of the game. I expect the same from Borderlands.

Plus, I think the last thing they want to do is compare Borderlands to the game it's probably really going to be much closer to -- Hellgate: London. As much as I really digged HGL despite its obvious list of flaws, I really had a great time with it. I can't deny that. Plus, I doubt Borderlands will turn out THAT buggy on its week of release.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #78 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 07:58:51 PM »
99% of the people I played Diablo 2 with (mostly just friends/family) didn't give a shit about the story. I got the impression that most people didn't care about the story. I remember being bitched at to stop standing around and hurry up because I was watching the cutscene and they had skipped it and were already in the first dungeon of the next act.

While I did enjoy the story of Diablo 1/2, it's far from the first thing I think of when I think of the game. I think of the loot and the leveling up. Pushing through dungeons to get that next checkpoint or hit that next level to use some piece of gear I bought off the vendor. Every time I went to town to vendor stuff I would check the merchants to see if their random loot turned out good this time, and if there's some rare piece I want to buy.

To me, Diablo is about lootwhoring and leveling up. Borderlands looks the same, and the style is some sweet icing on top.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 08:09:18 PM »
99% of the people I played Diablo 2 with (mostly just friends/family) didn't give a shit about the story. I got the impression that most people didn't care about the story. I remember being bitched at to stop standing around and hurry up because I was watching the cutscene and they had skipped it and were already in the first dungeon of the next act.
Hehe, I got that a lot in GW, as well -- many people wanted to skip the cut-scene, while I wanted to see more of the story.

While I did enjoy the story of Diablo 1/2, it's far from the first thing I think of when I think of the game. I think of the loot and the leveling up. Pushing through dungeons to get that next checkpoint or hit that next level to use some piece of gear I bought off the vendor. Every time I went to town to vendor stuff I would check the merchants to see if their random loot turned out good this time, and if there's some rare piece I want to buy.

To me, Diablo is about lootwhoring and leveling up. Borderlands looks the same, and the style is some sweet icing on top.
Bingo.

I think if Borderlands wanted to push story in some sort of shape or form to not take the player out of the game itself so they can still shoot stuff, they'd have to use some sort of optional mechanic here. I'm thinking like Bioshock here -- pick up an audio file somewhere to give you more pieces of the story and you'd have initialize it in-game to get to actually hear it; and you can let play while you're blowing shit to smithereens, if you wish.

They could've say employed the Dead Space gimmick, too -- where the video say doesn't take you out of the gameplay, you can watch videos and the game props them in front of your character in-game, too. But, I don't know how great that would actually work in first-person; worked fine in third w/ Dead Space.

EDIT:
Microsoft is already going after those pirating Borderlands X360 who are actually playing it on XB Live (and likely gaining Achievements).
Don't worry if you bought a legit copy of Borderlands X360 early - you won't get banned.

« Last Edit: Saturday, October 17, 2009, 09:58:01 AM by MysterD »