Author Topic: Borderlands: Diablo with guns  (Read 148150 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Borderlands: Diablo with guns
« Reply #80 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »

XIII (2003) had done the cel-shaded look before TF2 (2007).
Yes, but it didn't have goofy looking, cartoon-proportioned characters, as in TF2 and Bordlerlands. Plus XIII had very crisp imagery to match its comic book style. Borderlands feels like it only has cell-shading because it would look crap compared to its peers if it had a more realism-inspired look (relatively low-poly models, bland and low-res textures, etc.).

I hope there's more to Borderlands than "loot-whoring" and "mad-gunning." Based on the killing and moving on argument we could say Serious Sam is more like Diablo than most shooters, minus loot and experience, since it's entirely about killing hordes. Or how about Left 4 Dead? They're both playable in singleplayer but that's more for testing purposes than anything else, the core of these games is multiplayer. Is that how I'm supposed to think of Borderlands? As a purely multiplayer experience?

I just assume most people play singleplayer for the story and multiplayer solely for the gameplay. That said, I do generally play way more singleplayer than multi. I just hope Bordlerands will not be boring as a singleplayer game, usually story covers that fairly well.

I thought Bioshock had a good storytelling convention, with the audio logs and journals scattered about. It made the story available for those who wanted to look for it but not in the way for people who just wanted to gun it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #81 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 09:39:24 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #82 on: Friday, October 16, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »
I hope there's more to Borderlands than "loot-whoring" and "mad-gunning." Based on the killing and moving on argument we could say Serious Sam is more like Diablo than most shooters, minus loot and experience, since it's entirely about killing hordes. Or how about Left 4 Dead? They're both playable in singleplayer but that's more for testing purposes than anything else, the core of these games is multiplayer. Is that how I'm supposed to think of Borderlands? As a purely multiplayer experience?
I would say that Borderlands is built for MP, yes -- b/c it's really meant for a team of 4. Likely, a team of 4 where one is playing each character class.

I actually played Diablo 2 more often offline than online -- probably b/c I don't got anybody really to go online with.

I just assume most people play singleplayer for the story and multiplayer solely for the gameplay. That said, I do generally play way more singleplayer than multi. I just hope Bordlerands will not be boring as a singleplayer game, usually story covers that fairly well.
Like yourself, yeah -- I play SP a lot more than MP.

Though, I am betting I'll be doing MP more often in Borderlands than SP -- probably like I did w/ HGL.

I thought Bioshock had a good storytelling convention, with the audio logs and journals scattered about. It made the story available for those who wanted to look for it but not in the way for people who just wanted to gun it.
I agree w/ the System Shock 2 and Bioshock audio-log convention -- it's a good option, for those who wanna invest into the story; especially since Irrational was great at telling stories. And if you don't want to invest, then go ahead -- just shoot stuff. It's up to you, really. That's what I liked about Bioshock -- option's there for the gamer.

I really hope Borderlands has some kind of mechanic like that or Dead Space (for playing videos / FMV's in-game while you're doing stuff), if they do actually have story elements to the game -- especially for when I do play this as a SP game. I think Gearbox does know how to tell a story -- as they did a good job of it in BIA: Road to Hill 30, from what I played. I can't see why they couldn't tell a good narrative in Borderlands, given what I said about what I thought about BIA: Road To Hill 30. I thought BIA: Road told a much better story than the COD games -- it's just COD did a hell of a lot better job of putting you in the frantic action by a freakin' mile.

EDIT:
Discussion on Gearbox's forums about PC Gamer UK giving Borderlands PC a 86% -- which is a pretty high score from them.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 17, 2009, 06:55:54 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 02:23:44 PM »
GameTrailers.com - Invisible Walls Episode w/ Borderlands.
1:36 to 11:19 is Borderlands video and discussion

JustPushStart - Borderlands Review for PS3 and X360
4 stars (out of 5).

Story is weak
Every RPG comes with a great story and plot but with Borderlands the story fails. I’m not saying that the game doesn’t have a story because it does, the problem is that it’s shallow because the game is more focused on the action rather than developing a story.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 03:06:33 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 04:26:01 PM »
Boy, there's a shocker.  What the fuck is wrong with people?  Have they even played games before?  How do you not completely figure that out before even going in?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
Boy, there's a shocker.  What the fuck is wrong with people?  Have they even played games before?  How do you not completely figure that out before even going in?

I don't expect a shit-ton of story, dialogue, and background here in a ARPG like Borderlands when you say compare it to a Bioware game and any other full-fledged RPG.

I mean, c'mon -- how many ARPG's are gonna have a killer story and topple you over w/ its storytelling and character depth? Right, far and few between. When we talk ARPG's, dammit -- you're here for the combat and constant upgrading and loot-grabbing.

EDIT:
It would be nice to have some sort of story depth and character depth in a ARPG and find a mechanic that won't get in the way of the action, especially when in multi-player -- again, I'm thinking the Bioshock audio-log mechanic here and maybe giving the player some Codex w/ extra background info (like Mass Effect and The Witcher have) for the player to look at on their own accord, since you won't likely be forced to deal w/ such a thing. And, yeah -- you'd be better off digging into that stuff in Single Player mode.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
I thought Mass Effect was a pretty good action RPG all-round. Good action, decent loot, great story. It's Bioware afterall. It's definitely more focused on story than anything else but it still maintained some good shooter action.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »
But it wasn't really an action RPG.  I mean, not really.  It did a great job of blurring the lines and stuff, but it doesn't strike me as being anything like Borderlands at all in any capacity whatsoever.  It's totally linear (sidequests of marginal interest notwithstanding), mostly focused on character and story, isn't really replayable, isn't multiplayer in focus, and certainly has a huge dearth of gear and loot in general compared to something like Diablo and its ilk.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 08:01:48 PM »
Yeah, that's true, Mass Effect was not quite as spralling as other RPGs with strong action elements (like Oblivion and Fallout 3). In comparison it was limited.

Bioshock, while not technically a FPS/RPG hybrid, did employ quite a few RPG elements as it maintained a dominant FPS stance.

I guess Hellgate: London would be the most comparable to Bordlerlands in terms of game mechanics (as far as FPS/RPG hybrids go).

My current impression of Bordlerlands is not great, so far, since it seems to try too hard to be a hybrid of the two genres possibly neglecting other important elements. Needless to say, I am anxious about having more coop options out there anyway. I'll have to give it a go before I make any final judgements, of course.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Eh, I dunno'.  It strikes me as being exactly what it wants to be: an FPS with Diablo-style loot and some RPG stuff thrown on top.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #91 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 02:20:03 PM »
TeamXBox - X360 Review
9.0 (out of 10).

GamePro - X360 Review
4½ stars (out of 5)

1Up - X360 Review.
B+ grade.

GiantBomb - X360 and PS3 Review.
4 stars (out of 5)

GamesRadar - X360 and PS3 Review.
EIGHT (out of 10)

IGN Review...
8.8 (out of 10) for PC, X360, PS3.

Video review.
Written review.

G4TV - PC, X360, and PS3 review
4 stars (out of 5)

Eurogamer - PC, X360 and PS3 review
8 (out of 10)

Destructoid - PC Version review
8.5 (out of 10)

AtomicGamer - PC Version review.
92% (out of 100%)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 05:38:29 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #92 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 03:32:14 PM »
Borderlands PC Version - Securom DRM Update.
The PC version has a release date control on the game, so you all know...

Borderlands
Frequently asked questions:

You are here: Home » Support for popular titles » Borderlands

Product information:
Media: DVD-ROM / digital Download

Important: Please note, that the official release date for Borderlands is the 27th of October 2009.

Q: I get a "Security Module not activated (13001)" error message.
A: Please download the SecuROM™ Diagnostics Tool and follow the instructions, to update your application, to solve potential SecuROM™ related issues.

Q: At the end of the installation I get a "Release date check failed" error message.
A: Please note, that the official release date for Borderlands is the 27th of October 2009. If you get the above error message after the 27th, please go to http://www.2kgames.com/borderlands/activation/ for further instructions on how to manually perform the release date check.

Q: The above answers did not solve my issue.
A: Please install our SecuROM™ Diagnostics Tool for further assistance.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 19, 2009, 07:17:25 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 03:52:33 PM »
You know, stupid shit like that makes no sense. If someone buys the game early because a store breaks street date, why shouldn't they be able to play? They didn't do anything wrong by buying the game. Punish the store somehow, not the gamer.

Anyone saying its to stop pirates from playing early is lying because pirates download cracked versions that don't do any checks to begin with.

*sigh*...what are we becoming?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #94 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 04:00:12 PM »
You know, stupid shit like that makes no sense. If someone buys the game early because a store breaks street date, why shouldn't they be able to play? They didn't do anything wrong by buying the game. Punish the store somehow, not the gamer.

Anyone saying its to stop pirates from playing early is lying because pirates download cracked versions that don't do any checks to begin with.

*sigh*...what are we becoming?
Idol, unless early a finished copy of Borderlands was laced w/ this Securom before the game somehow got into pirates' hands for the PC, I don't see this as a strategy to stop pirates.

I think this strategy to try and sell MORE console copies of the game -- namely, the X360 version of the game.

The console version has been released early by stores and is officially coming out WEEK ahead of the PC version.

I mean, do we see the console versions of the game getting any release date controls?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #95 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »
Haha ok suppose it's against pirates who will acquire the game in those few days before release date what about the pirates who'll acquire it in the endless days after? There's no logic in their reasoning. We can all safely agree it's a bullshit excuse.

I think MyD's on the right track: it's deceiptful, passive/aggressive console promotion.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #96 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 07:06:53 PM »
GameTrailers.com - PC Video Review
8.4 (out of 10).

GameInformer - PS3 and X360 Review.
9.25 (out of 10.00).

EDIT:
USA Today Article on Borderlands.
Among of the more interesting weapons seen in Borderlands: a spread rocket-launcher firing five shots at a time, a long-range shotgun with scope and electrically-enchanced shells, and a small machine gun with acid-filled bullets.
That spread rocket-launcher and acid-bullet machine gun sound freakin' nasty.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #97 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 07:56:43 PM »
it's just like MW2 being promoted as an Xbox game all over the place, and even the lack of support for dedicated servers on MW2 PC. There seems to be a huge push for console over PC.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #98 on: Monday, October 19, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »
Microsoft should be burned to the ground.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 10:57:23 AM »
Shacknews review

Generally positive, with some PC specific gripes at the end. Nothing that would really keep me from playing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »

PC Issues
Though it's easily the best-looking edition of Borderlands, the late-arriving PC edition also falls short, at least in its current form.

At present, voice chat is ridiculously bare bones. You can chat, but that's it. The most basic of features, the ability to turn your microphone off, is missing. There is no way to adjust the booming default volume of another's voice. They can't be muted.

According to Gearbox, that situation should be resolved by an update soon, but there's no word as to exactly when it will arrive and what functionality it will deliver. For a game built around multiplayer, the lack of proper voice chat, or even the ability to disable the microphone in-game and use an external client, represents a ridiculous, glaring and unbelievable oversight.
Yeah, this all doesn't sound like it'll be an issue that will take forever to fix. Nothing a quick patch couldn't take care of.

I wonder if we can ALSO chat to other gamers via the k+b/mouse like many other games support (that don't support voice in-game and some games that support BOTH methods)?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »
Who cares, I'll just use Teamspeak.  I'm not going to play with random douchebags anyway.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 06:21:37 PM »
Who cares, I'll just use Teamspeak.  I'm not going to play with random douchebags anyway.

When was I random?  :o

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 06:22:11 PM »
 :o

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »
i know it might be a difficult concept to grasp, but when someone says "douchebag", they don't always mean you, D.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 07:39:15 PM »
i know it might be a difficult concept to grasp, but when someone says "douchebag", they don't always mean you, D.

*pouts*

;D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 10:34:40 PM »
So is that what the 'D' in MysterD stands for....?

MysterDouchebag?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 02:11:41 AM »
I picked my copy of the game up today and so far I'm having a lot of fun with it. I spent the afternoon AFKing my way through a WoW raid so I could squeeze in a minute or two of Borderlands wherever I could. I got my Siren up to level 10. Now I'm dead tired but want to keep playing. I could stay up and do just one more quest... but I'm going to bed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 01:32:53 PM »
So is that what the 'D' in MysterD stands for....?

MysterDouchebag?

That's one thing the D has stood for. :P
The D can stand for many things.
Most commonly, my first name of Derick.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »
GameSpot - PS3 and X360 Review.
8.5 from Gamespot

Video Review.
Written review.

GameSpy - 4 stars out of 5
X360 and PS3
PC Review.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 03:45:42 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #111 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »
I thought we already talked about that.

I have no idea what issue that is trying to solve. So the player bought it early...big deal? Why would you stop people from playing the game they already bought for some arbitrary (and obviously already broken) street date?

EDIT

Kotaku is retarded.
There was bound to be some confusion, really. When you have three versions of a game in your storeroom and one has a different date than the others, there are going to be mix ups. Still, it's one of the responsibilities of running a video game store or department, and I frankly don't see the point in blaming 2K or Gearbox for this debacle, as so many of the forum posters seem to be doing.
Because its their fault that the game is unplayable. The STORE isn't keeping me from playing what I bought. If the store did something wrong by selling early then thats something 2K is going to have to take up with them. You don't punish the end customer that did nothing wrong.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #112 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »
G4TV - Sessler's Soapbox on "Grind-Fest" games like Borderlands.
Sessler likes the "grinding" in Borderlands and other grind-fest games.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 06:06:01 PM »
Uh... is that really the definition of the word "grinding"?  I don't think it is.  They generally use that word for MMOs, and that's because the combat is usually boring as fuck and you have to do it over and over again to get anywhere.  In a game like this, combat is generally the point, and it's usually a good deal more interesting.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 06:41:24 PM »
I agree, grinding in MMOs it's painfully boring. You kill the same shit over and over and over and hopefully watch TV or something at the same time so you don't go out of your mind. You're only doing it for some sort of measurable gain (money, reputation, experience, etc)

In Borderlands you're wandering through different areas, killing enemies that vary at least a bit, and it's FUN! You're doing it because it's fun, and the loot is an added bonus.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #115 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 07:42:35 PM »
It's knd of strange place to use the term, though I guess it works in Borderlands since you do it to level-up or get loot. I mean it's not called "grinding" if you're fending off hordes in a game like Serious Sam.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 07:52:33 PM »
But it's not called grinding in Diablo either, that I'm aware of.  I've never heard the term outside of an MMO, and while it's become popular recently, I'm pretty sure that's the only context where it actually makes real sense.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I thought we already talked about that.

I have no idea what issue that is trying to solve. So the player bought it early...big deal? Why would you stop people from playing the game they already bought for some arbitrary (and obviously already broken) street date?

EDIT

Kotaku is retarded. Because its their fault that the game is unplayable. The STORE isn't keeping me from playing what I bought. If the store did something wrong by selling early then thats something 2K is going to have to take up with them. You don't punish the end customer that did nothing wrong.

Blogs like Kotaku are always retarded and totally suck off developers and publishers. You're totally right, the drm doesn't accomplish anything at all really, except make more people go look for a patch.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #118 on: Friday, October 23, 2009, 04:43:57 AM »
But it's not called grinding in Diablo either, that I'm aware of.  I've never heard the term outside of an MMO, and while it's become popular recently, I'm pretty sure that's the only context where it actually makes real sense.
That's true.. Although I do recall it being referred to in games like FFVII, when your level was too low for an upcoming boss fight you'd run around getting random encounters until you gained enough xp to challenge the boss. That was the first time I heard the term "grinding" used in a magazine's "hints n' tips" section (could have been GamePro or VG&CE).

Man, I kinda miss hardcopy gaming mags.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #119 on: Friday, October 23, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »
Randy Pitchford speaks on release date control set in place on Borderlands PC.

Big Download contacted Randy Pitchford, president of Borderlands development studio Gearbox Software, who said, "I don't know if something can be done to unlock copies for people that somehow get a copy before the street date ... I certainly can't do anything about it." Pitchford's sympathetic, of course -- which reminds him of, ugh, Valve's Half-Life 2 DRM -- but as a developer there's not much he can do once the game's been handed over to the publisher and surrounded by unflinching DRM.

"I know how that feels," Pitchford related. "I'm sorry it's happening to customers of Borderlands, and I wish there was something I could do about it."

EDIT:
From a thread on 2K Games' Forums about PC gamers trying to get the game unlocked early and all, 2K Elizabeth of 2K Games speaks on the situation with Borderlands PC
Hey guys,

Yesterday we learned that a fraction of the PC copies of Borderlands were accidentally sold to consumers in some countries but that gamers could not activate their copies yet. Since we learned of this problem, we have been looking into the issue to find the best possible solution for everyone.

I'm going to be completely honest with you guys right now. It is not possible for us to move the planned release date of the game forward. We could not possibly get the games into stores worldwide and out for digital distribution any earlier than planned. Less than 1% of all copies were sold, and if we unlocked the game today, illegal versions would most likely appear on torrents by the evening. I am sure all of you want our PC launch to be as successful as possible, and we simply won't be able to manage that any earlier than already planned.

I want to apologize for those of you who have gotten the game ahead of our release date, and ask for your patience and understanding. The game will be ready in the US and Canada at midnight eastern standard time on Monday, October 26th, and internationally by Friday, October 30th.

-Elizabeth
« Last Edit: Friday, October 23, 2009, 03:44:50 PM by MysterD »