Author Topic: Borderlands: Diablo with guns  (Read 148191 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Borderlands: Diablo with guns
« Reply #120 on: Friday, October 23, 2009, 06:33:03 PM »
At least Pitchford admitted he thought it sucked.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #121 on: Friday, October 23, 2009, 07:09:30 PM »
I'm so into this game that I've pretty much stopped playing WoW. My siren just hit level 20. I think I'm gonna try respeccing her for more elemental damage now that I'm actually seeing corrosive/electric/explosive weapons, and the right skills will make those proc more. There's some enemy types I've had trouble with that would probably be a lot easier if I used the right type of weapon for them.

One cool example of this is a fight I just did by using pretty mediocre electric assault rifle (it chews through shields fast, though kills slow) to burn through the enemy shields, then switched to a better weapon to finish him off.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #122 on: Friday, October 23, 2009, 07:10:09 PM »
Agreed, Q.

I still so wanna get this game.

I really hope for Gearbox's sake, they got a Day 0 Patch coming to fix some of them issues early PC reviews have pointed out. Might help alleviate the fact the game was at least locked out for a good reason - like to say have a patch include a typing chat for players in the same game (like most MP games allow - i.e. Guild Wars); settings for controlling the mic in any shape or form; etc etc.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #123 on: Friday, October 23, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »
So I basically picked this up for PS3 because I returned something else and wanted this for the weekend even though I have it preordered on PC and that doesn't hit until Tuesday.  Someone else will be getting this copy when I get my PC copy, heh.  In any case... it's fucking awesome.  Like hardcore awesome.  I love this game.  If the concept appeals to you, you should absolutely grab it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 04:49:11 AM »
solo > retarded friends on coop

I feel like I'm babysitting a 3 year old. I have to tell him everything to do, including killing things, grabbing quest items, not jumping off cliffs, and turning in/picking up quests. Of course no matter how much I bitch he runs past groups of enemies that follow him halfway across the map and he doesn't even realize it. I shoot one, they all come at me, and I have to kill them all solo. Then he's bitching that I'm lagging behind and he needs my help up ahead...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #125 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 08:29:12 AM »
So I basically picked this up for PS3 because I returned something else and wanted this for the weekend even though I have it preordered on PC and that doesn't hit until Tuesday.  Someone else will be getting this copy when I get my PC copy, heh.  In any case... it's fucking awesome.  Like hardcore awesome.  I love this game.  If the concept appeals to you, you should absolutely grab it.
Que, we've heard a lot of complaints w/ the story and all in reviews - as expected, as this really ain't the strength of most action-RPG's, anyways.

So, yeah - what cha think of it so far, if you've gotten much into the main story and all?

I found it interesting in the PCG Podcast that they mentioned that the game's really well-written and introduces characters well and all - but then, it just kind of stops w/ going further with it and all...
I remember Gun doing that, as well...Just when story and character gets interesting, they just stop with it (Gun did it by using killing characters off)...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #126 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 08:55:01 AM »
Diablo sort of did the same, but they had the sense to keep everything short and simple and just keep peppering bits of story stuff throughout the game.  Even if it wasn't amazing, the CG scenes and everything were great, and it was enough to keep you going since the core action was so enjoyable.

This... I don't know.  I'll have to put more time into it to say anything concrete, but this is a game that's totally about exploration, killing, and looting.  That's what you're here for.  As soon as I got control of the character it was tempting to just ignore *everything* and do my own thing.  Took me a while to stop looking around during the tutorial and such.  If you really want a story, this isn't a game you should be playing.  This is a game for people who love to explore, love to shoot, and love to loot.  It satisfies on those levels really well and those are the reasons you should be playing.  The rest is more window dressing.

Still, it's presented nicely when they do go into it, so that helps.  Even if the story is sparse, the whole game feels really polished and sexy.

I haven't tried any coop so I can't speak to W7's woes, but I think that's always a problem playing with random douchebags.  I probably won't even bother trying multi until my PC version shows up and I can play with idol and stuff.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #127 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 11:31:13 AM »
Diablo sort of did the same, but they had the sense to keep everything short and simple and just keep peppering bits of story stuff throughout the game. Even if it wasn't amazing, the CG scenes and everything were great, and it was enough to keep you going since the core action was so enjoyable.
Right - Diablo knew how to pepper bits and pieces of story. And by the time you got further along and all, you definitely had something still of quite the value - especially for an ARPG.

This... I don't know.  I'll have to put more time into it to say anything concrete, but this is a game that's totally about exploration, killing, and looting.  That's what you're here for.  As soon as I got control of the character it was tempting to just ignore *everything* and do my own thing.  Took me a while to stop looking around during the tutorial and such.
That all sounds great, in its own right - just getting lost in the gameworld, exploring, and loot-grabbing. It was one thing that really sucked me in with Sacred 2.

If you really want a story, this isn't a game you should be playing.  This is a game for people who love to explore, love to shoot, and love to loot.  It satisfies on those levels really well and those are the reasons you should be playing.  The rest is more window dressing.
I happen to like ALL of the above - a good story, love to explore, love to shoot, love to loot-grab. :P

I really dug HGL namely for its action, loot-grabbing, loot-making, loot-breaking, despite its not-so-great story and poor presentation of the story. At least the plot and premise itself was decent enough - but the action there is what kept me hooked for its long duration that felt like it was all over too quickly. And it was a blast to play online - you know, when it was online I think Borderlands is going to be up HGL's alley - but probably MUCH, MUCH better (as it probably learned a lot of lessons from watching HGL's major mistakes). It sure sounds like it.

Still, it's presented nicely when they do go into it, so that helps.  Even if the story is sparse, the whole game feels really polished and sexy.
Gearbox's BIA: Road To Hill 30 - especially for a WW2 game - did a really good job w/ storytelling, well-written dialogue, and character depth - but of course, that game was heavily focused on that stuff.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to get me some Borderlands next week.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 01:33:29 PM »
As Que said, the story is not a main part of what's going on here. Most of it is "this guy stole something, get it back", or "this guy is doing bad things, kill him", or "there's X animal causing problems here, kill some". You'll meet people who will spout off a few lines about who they are and then give you some related quest to kill someone or get something for them. Occasionally you'll get an audio transmission from someone, but it's usually short and tells you something about where to go, not story.

I do like the effort to give the game character though. When playing my siren, she laughs if I pop someone's head with a headshot. Occasionally in combat I'll hear her joyfully say "I'm really getting good at this". Brick sounds all roid raged out when he uses berserk, even laughing maniacally sometimes.

Oh and the douchebag I did coop with? Someone I've play WoW with for 2-3 years. I'd feel better if it was a random retard on Xbox Live.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »
Haha damn, that sucks.  You need new friends.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 09:53:37 PM »
solo > retarded friends on coop

I feel like I'm babysitting a 3 year old. I have to tell him everything to do, including killing things, grabbing quest items, not jumping off cliffs, and turning in/picking up quests. Of course no matter how much I bitch he runs past groups of enemies that follow him halfway across the map and he doesn't even realize it. I shoot one, they all come at me, and I have to kill them all solo. Then he's bitching that I'm lagging behind and he needs my help up ahead...

haha that reminds me of something funny. Back when I was really hooked on Diablo, I would try to find ways to entertain myself.

When I would get on a populated map, I'd go further ahead of everyone and then run around for a few minutes till there were a few thousand monsters following me. Then in in the midst of the monster mob, I'd create a town portal.

Then I would go back and say something like, "Hey guys, I created a town portal for you all."

Yes I was an ass...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Sunday, October 25, 2009, 05:21:20 AM »
This one is for you console gamers lookin' for a console version of BL.

Saw the BB Ad today - it's listed at $59.99 for PS3 and X360 versions of Borderlands in-store.

Though, check this out on their website...
You can get console Borderlands for either X360 or PS3 for $53.99 + free shipping + tax.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #132 on: Sunday, October 25, 2009, 02:22:32 PM »
I think I'd be more tolerant of this guy if I wasn't such a "must complete everything" type player. I made sure to do every quest in Arid Badlands before moving on, even if the quests were gray to me. I started up a game with my friend and I was working on quests in the second zone, none of which he had done, but he was already in the third zone. He was bitching that I was being too picky because I was paying attention to quests, and he just wanted to find enemies and kill them. He seems like a total action gamer and hates the RPG aspect, which makes me wonder how he spent 4 years playing WoW endgame, which focuses so much on numbers and stats.

This game does to me what Diablo did so often. I get stuck in it for hours without realizing. Late last night I spent a couple hours repeatedly loading into the game again and again until I finally found a sweet epic SMG to replace my green one. High dmg, high fire rate, and high accuracy. I wish I could find one with corrosive dmg that didn't have garbage base dmg, but no luck so far. I'm looking at 60-90 dmg per shot on regular SMGs, and the corrosive ones are all like 35 dmg per shot. It just seems too low to be worth it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #134 on: Monday, October 26, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
Mikey Neumann interview w/ Shacknews on Borderlands.

PC Version Chit-Chat
Shack:  What happened on the PC with the one-week delay--something about optimization?

Mikey Neumann: Sometimes a week can buy you a lot. I'm not entirely sure what happened there, but we ran into a couple little things.

The thing with PC is that we don't go through certification the same way. We made sure that 360 and PlayStation versions, those are essentially done first, and then anything that's a PC-centric problem we put into a bug queue to be done while we're certing the other things. The schedule seemed like it was going to work out, but it was off by about a week.

Shack: I noticed the voice chat options were a little lacking in the build I got for review. As in, I was unable to turn off voice chat, adjust the volume, or even mute.

Mikey Neumann: Yeah. We noticed that and know what people want there. It has already been under scrutiny here at Gearbox.

Shack: Could split-screen be something that's patched in later on PC?

Mikey Neumann: If we find that it's something that people want, we can certainly patch it in. As of right now, it's not there.

Zombie Island Of Dr. Zed - DLC (#1)
Shack:  On downloable content, what's the limit? Have you run into any technical hurdles--no new classes, no rocket ship etc.?

Mikey Neumann: We're finding out some interesting things that maybe we didn't realize before. So far, none of them have been game changers.

To be specific, we are making DLC for all three platforms simultaneously. We don't want any customer to miss out. I will say that our first DLC is an additional story, it's a tight little story that's pretty cool, a whole new area with all-new monsters and all kinds of stuff. It's definitely something that people are going to want, because it's more of what they are going to want to do--explore more, find new stuff, meet people. That's all there.

I think the limitations we're running into are under the hood stuff, that if we're did our job right you're probably not going to notice. Once they start seeing the new stuff, I think they're going to get where we're going with DLC specifically.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 26, 2009, 11:43:56 AM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #135 on: Monday, October 26, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »
How to "fix" some issues in the PC version

Things like enable VSync, change FoV, disable voice chat, kill unskippable startup logos, enable the console, and disable mouse smoothing. Now I don't want to jump on them right away but those all seem like things that should be in the options menu and not something you'd have to go manually edit an ini file for.

Oh, this comment is better for disabling the startup movies. The original post disables ALL videos, even the story based ones.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, October 26, 2009, 08:40:27 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #137 on: Monday, October 26, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »
Yeesh.  Hope my install goes well tonight...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #138 on: Monday, October 26, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
Yeesh.  Hope my install goes well tonight...

I really hope it goes well for you, as well...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 07:41:57 AM »
Forgot to update this last night.

So I stayed up way too late playing this game and thus made myself late this morning, which I am exacerbating by making this post.  Awesome.  The game went off without a hitch.  Really the only thing I felt I *had* to tweak were ditching the 8 billion trademark videos up front and enabling vsync.  Was having some bad screen tearing.  Ultimately, though, the thing controls well, doesn't feel uber-consolized (there's some stuff, like how jumping is the same height and distance regardless of your button press, and stuff like crouch and run are all toggles, but mostly it just feels about right, and control is infinitely superior to console counterparts as expected), and it performs beautifully.  Graphics are crisp and clear, there are extra effects I'm noticing over the console version like some volumetric lighting stuff (at least I'm pretty sure I didn't see this when I was playing before, but it's very striking now), and the framerate and load times are all better.  On the whole, this is totally worth your money.  If you don't have a PC up to snuff the console version is pretty good stuff, but the PC version shines here.

So yeah, good shit.  All you loot-whores need to go pick this up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 09:26:24 AM »
So I stayed up way too late playing this game and thus made myself late this morning, which I am exacerbating by making this post.  Awesome.  The game went off without a hitch. Really the only thing I felt I *had* to tweak were ditching the 8 billion trademark videos up front and enabling vsync. Was having some bad screen tearing.
Curious: did you enable VSync through your vid card driver settings (NVidia Panel or ATI Panel) or through the INI?

Ultimately, though, the thing controls well, doesn't feel uber-consolized (there's some stuff, like how jumping is the same height and distance regardless of your button press, and stuff like crouch and run are all toggles, but mostly it just feels about right, and control is infinitely superior to console counterparts as expected), and it performs beautifully.
I don't know if I'm the only one here...but actually, I have always preferred toggles for prone, crouch and run/walk.

Personally, I like when games have BOTH the toggles and hold the key for walk/run, crouch, prone . I usually map them close to one another, if they do.

Graphics are crisp and clear, there are extra effects I'm noticing over the console version like some volumetric lighting stuff (at least I'm pretty sure I didn't see this when I was playing before, but it's very striking now), and the framerate and load times are all better.  On the whole, this is totally worth your money.  If you don't have a PC up to snuff the console version is pretty good stuff, but the PC version shines here.
Que, I'm guessing you got things maxed out? :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 07:10:42 PM »
Que, one question, bro - screenies, please?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 09:33:13 PM »
Heh, sure thing.  I'll toss a few up after I play a bit tonight.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »
Thanks, brah.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 06:56:40 AM »

These are some fairly hefty images, so I'll spoiler-tag them for... well, let's face it, just for idol.  There's nothing spoilery in the shots, though.  It's all straight early-level stuff.  View them outside of OWnet for full effect (though I did drop the resolution a bit to keep them from being too huge... going widescreen has added quite a bit of megabytage to my shots).

(click to show/hide)

Sorry for the lack of variety.  I got really tired last night and just didn't end up getting through a lot, so I mostly took shots of the same couple areas.  I'll probably delete some of those and post some more interesting shots tonight, as long as I don't get so exhausted I pass out again.  I had a couple of beers last night which always puts me to sleep...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 07:04:32 AM »
Thanks for the screeens, Q. Those are sweet.
*drools*

Ummm....don't delete any of those!
Just add more to another post in the thread, when you want to show off more screenies.  ;D

EDIT:
GameSpy - PC Review - 4 stars out of 5
PC Review here - click me!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 03:46:22 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »
Achievement unlocked: Purchased Borderlands!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, October 28, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »
Idol, sweet - hope you like it and don't have much problems w/ it. :)
Can't wait to see some Idol screenies.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #150 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 12:31:43 AM »
Well, when I first went to install something failed. I had walked away so didnt know where exactly. I started it up again and this time it took. It failed to do the stupid securom release date check, but clicked retry and it worked. I loaded the game and then bailed out so it would generate the ini files and I went in there to putz around. After that, it was smooth sailing.

Then I tried to play with Que. This didn't go so well at first. There are NO options for setting your connection speed. I was really hopeful it would work since its Unreal Engine 3, and UT3 plays great. But the few settings available in the ini arent used by the engine anymore, so any changes are ignored.

It would be fine just Que and I, but soon as you got 2-3 guys exchanging gunfire it just broke down, completely unplayable. Eventually I looked at UT3 tweaks to see what I could do. I figured same engine, same tweaks should work. I did find a command to turn on the FPS display with a keypress, since entering commands in the console is currently not working. You just "say" them instead of actually executing them. I also found the console command for setting the netspeed in game. So, I bound a key to the netspeed I wanted and we tried it.

And it worked.

It worked great. I still have to do some leading of my shots...which is kind of highlighted since I picked the sniper class to play for some reason. I should be the soldier and use bit weapons where aim is less important. But other than that Que and I went and kicked some ass in co-op for the last like...2 hours.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #151 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 12:40:27 AM »
My net connection is not so great, and my friend I've been playing coop with has a fucking mess of a network setup at his house and knows nothing about it. So when he hosts in the 360 version I lag.

I too started off with the hunter as my coop character (I have a higher level siren), and quickly found that was a bad idea. I didn't want to go soldier so I went tank, and it's worked out pretty well. I use shotguns/rocket launchers, and spec/play for lots of berserk time. The only annoying thing are things I'd get in single player, like having my view obstructed by fire because shit catches fire when I punch it. Really, I have to back away half the time just to see what's going on. My friend sits there like a deer in the headlights and won't shoot, not like there's friendly fire or anything. I tell him to just shoot at the fiery areas when that happens rofl.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #152 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 09:26:31 AM »
GamesonNet Review - PC and 360
GamesOnNet Reviews Borderlands PC.

Dan and Bennett - PC Version - 3.5 (out of 5)
Bennett - X360 version - 4 (out of 5)

EDIT:
FiringSquad - Borderlands PC Review
93% (out of 100) in this six-page review.

Pic from FiringSquad
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 10:19:55 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #153 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 11:04:54 AM »
That's the chick from the early teaser!

I finally tried the game out earlier today. Not bad, not bad at all. I didn't get the full joy since I was using a PS3 pad rather than m+kb but it was still very enjoyable.

I don't really see anything unqiue about the gameplay at all. It kinda feels like Fallout 3 without the story elements, especially since the shooting depends on stats; sometimes I'll shoot at something and the bullet will miss because the accuracy stat is low regardless of how well I'm doing.

Anyway, the game is definitely fun and it's all about the co-op.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #154 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 11:18:15 AM »
To Xessive - about the Pic...
(click to show/hide)

I don't really see anything unqiue about the gameplay at all. It kinda feels like Fallout 3 without the story elements, especially since the shooting depends on stats; sometimes I'll shoot at something and the bullet will miss because the accuracy stat is low regardless of how well I'm doing.

Anyway, the game is definitely fun and it's all about the co-op.
How do you feel about the variety and amount of guns? Find anything you like?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #155 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 12:25:31 PM »
How do you feel about the variety and amount of guns? Find anything you like?
I played as a hunter, so not the best choice when aiming is a challenge, but it was managable.

I like the snipers and pistols. I love that the sniper scopes depend on the brand of rifle too. Much like Torchlight, I like that you're not absolutely restricted to certain weapon types, you can use anything but you're specialized in certain types.

I still don't really see how Gearbox are all "The FPS and RPG had a baby..." like they just revolutionized gaming. It's nothing new. It's the same as the Gears of War 2 horde mode being awarded for innovation, that game mode started with classic UT (Monster Hunt) back in 2000-2001. They're not the first iteration, they're not even the second but somehow they're reaping the recognition. It's like winning an award for something someone else did.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #156 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 12:28:42 PM »
I played as a hunter, so not the best choice when aiming is a challenge, but it was managable.
I'm betting that class would be better w/ a KB/mouse.

I like the snipers and pistols. I love that the sniper scopes depend on the brand of rifle too. Much like Torchlight, I like that you're not absolutely restricted to certain weapon types, you can use anything but you're specialized in certain types.
Sounds cool to me. :)

I still don't really see how Gearbox are all "The FPS and RPG had a baby..." like they just revolutionized gaming. It's nothing new. It's the same as the Gears of War 2 horde mode being awarded for innovation, that game mode started with classic UT (Monster Hunt) back in 2000-2001. They're not the first iteration, they're not even the second but somehow they're reaping the recognition. It's like winning an award for something someone else did.
Hellgate did the FPS/ARPG thing, as well - depending on what class you took on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #157 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 01:28:38 PM »
If you want to save a few bucks (almost $4.99) and you're a Best Buy member, 10% coupon out there. Just check your e-mail - should be in there..

BL for the PC goes for $49.99 there regularly.

EDIT - 6:03 PM Eastern Time:
Installing this game now.

EDIT - 6:24 PM Eastern:
Install failed release date check. Trying to reinstall.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 03:27:17 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #158 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »
Good luck on that install. If goofed for me but I did eventually get it going.

Today I started up a Soldier and wanted to get to level 7 so when I play with Que we'd be on even footing. I sorta lost track and now I'm level 9. Damn its fun.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #159 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »
Installed and all. All set.
Had to turn off Online Armor to get it going.