Author Topic: Borderlands: Diablo with guns  (Read 148203 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Borderlands: Diablo with guns
« Reply #160 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 03:57:53 PM »
I still don't really see how Gearbox are all "The FPS and RPG had a baby..." like they just revolutionized gaming. It's nothing new. It's the same as the Gears of War 2 horde mode being awarded for innovation, that game mode started with classic UT (Monster Hunt) back in 2000-2001. They're not the first iteration, they're not even the second but somehow they're reaping the recognition. It's like winning an award for something someone else did.

It's not about who did it first, it's about who was the most popular. Wolfenstein 3D wasn't the first FPS, but it gets credit for it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #161 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 04:13:54 PM »
It's not about who did it first, it's about who was the most popular. Wolfenstein 3D wasn't the first FPS, but it gets credit for it.
I'd agree with that if it weren't for the devs/pubs blowing their own horns. It's like when they say "Never before seen..." or "For the first time..." when they're just reiterating older ideas.

Anyway, coming back to Borderlands, it's a really fun game! Now I'm seriously considering it for PC. Though I may just wait for a price drop.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #162 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »
Firstly, you're wrong about the hits, X.  You'll never miss based on die rolls.  Some guns just scatter quite a bit at range.  But if you hit, you hit.  There's no "you hit but the dice say you missed" happening here.  It's been mentioned specifically a number of times.  Secondly, what else have you played like this?  This isn't anything even remotely similar to Fallout 3.  They both have guns and are in wastelands and have some RPG elements, but the similarities end there.  Fallout 3 was barely a shooter where Borderlands is at its core a pure shooter with some extra stuff on top.  I've never played anything like it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #163 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »
I don't know man, it's happened too often that I am certain there's something going on; baddie in my sights and the hot magically misses, and someimes I even see the shot's trail clip right through. Plus why do the weapons and character stats have accuracy ratings? i.e. with the Hunter I can improve accuracy by leveling up certain skills. There's definitely a dice roll going on to calculate the accuracy ratings.

Sure they're both set in wastelands but it's more than just the setting, Que. Fallout 3 is the most recent, but we had Deus Ex, System Shock, Bioshock (though it's more strictly a shooter), S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and technically we can even add Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah to the list. Borderlands is definitely more of a shooter than Fallout 3 but my point is all these games fit in the same genre (albeit very different settings) and tilt between RPG and shooter.

This is just in the first-person perspective selection, we have other games that fit the criteria but have isometric camera angles i.e. Diablo, Crusader, etc. That's a whole other discussion though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #164 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 07:39:54 PM »
From what I can tell, accuracy measures how much the bullet strays from the magic dot in the middle of the screen, not whether or not bullets hit or miss when hitting the target.  I haven't noticed any of what you're saying and I've taken three characters to about level 10.  So... I dunno'.  All I can tell you is what I've seen.

As to the other games, none of those are pure shooters.  I wouldn't classify System Shock as a real shooter, nor would I classify Deus Ex as one.  They were very weak shooters that were turned into great games by means of a host of other features.  Beyond that, absolutely none of them had randomly generated loot, open worlds, or were built around the concept of multiple playthroughs with a single character (ala Diablo and friends).

And what's the point in mentioning Diablo?  From the get-go that was one of this game's primary inspirations, and that isn't a shooter in any capacity.  That's the whole point: marry Diablo with a shooter.  Nothing else has ever done that.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #165 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
My highest character is a level 27 Siren using SMGs, and alternating at times to snipers and combat rifles. I have definitely seen my sniper shots miss a moving target when I had the crosshair on target, but that's a moving target. Bullets in this game have a velocity, I know this because the siren has a skill called "Hiigh Velocity: increases bullet damage and velocity" (+20% velocity at 5 points).

My SMG is actually more useful than my sniper rifle except at extreme ranges, but that's because of my weapon proficiency. Though I've been trying to use my sniper as much as possible to get it's proficiency up and see what it can do.

Sniper Proficiency: level 4
+3% damage
+12% rate of fire
+12% stability

SMG Proficiency: level 12
+12% damage
+24% reload speed
+36% accuracy

You can definitely tell that accuracy effects spread directly. I can't stand using inaccurate guns, even on my tank (lvl 25) who uses shotguns. If you grab a high accuracy shotgun and a low accuracy one, you can tell just by the crosshairs what the spread is like, and an accurate shotgun can even be used somewhat effectively at medium range.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #166 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 08:22:27 PM »
I'm Level 12 already as The Siren (Lilith). I just stopped playing and played for at least 3 1/2 HOURS.

Holy F'N shit - this game is freakin' awesome.

Scar Battle
(click to show/hide)

I got this machine-gun pistol that is awesome - and does some extra shock damage.

I got it on mostly High and Medium for most settings. High on everything gave me a jitters here and there. 1024x768 gives NO slow-downs or anything.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #167 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »
Are you guys playing online a lot, or just a whole lot of sp?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #168 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 08:47:24 PM »
Are you guys playing online a lot, or just a whole lot of sp?

I was just doing SP, to get a character going.

I'm TheMysterD on GameSpy, if anybody looking to do MP.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #169 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 08:48:37 PM »
Idol and I just got it going last night for MP, but we're working on two characters now.  Up until that I'd just been playing the SP.  Contrary to popular belief, this is a fun SP game.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  It's perfectly analogous to Diablo 2: fun alone, but a bit more fun with buddies (as long as they aren't douchebags, because playing alone is better than playing with stupid people).

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #170 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 08:51:42 PM »
I've been playing sort of half and half single player and coop (with 1 person, no random people).

As a single player game, it's much more paced I find. I do things slower and take more of the game in. In coop we're rushing through quests and bosses like we're racing or something. I'm actually really glad that I'm able to experience it all first in single player, then coop once I know the quest. It feels like a better experience because of it, and I'm trying to make sure my single player character stays ahead of my coop one.

I did Diablo 1 and 2 the same way pretty much, never played with random people.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #171 on: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 08:56:30 PM »
Idol and I just got it going last night for MP, but we're working on two characters now.  Up until that I'd just been playing the SP.  Contrary to popular belief, this is a fun SP game.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  It's perfectly analogous to Diablo 2: fun alone, but a bit more fun with buddies (as long as they aren't douchebags, because playing alone is better than playing with stupid people).

I'm having a blast w/ the Borderlands SP. :) Yes, I liked Diablo 2 on the SP quite fine, actually.

I can imagine how much fun the MP is - w/ some people who ain't cheating, don't know what they're doing, are noobs, or any sort of other douchebaggery Q was referring to.

EDIT:
TenTonHammer Review - PC Version
88 (out of 100)

EDIT 2:
PS3 and X360 Borderlands - Patch has gone Live
Here's the list of fixes

Patch fixes for PS3
    * Load times have been improved
    * Lilith's Phase Strike ability now works as intended
    * The introductory quests with CL4P-TP should now always progress properly
    * fixed a bug that caused the digger elevator to be unusable after completing the Find Tannis mission
    * Weapon mapping to the D-pad should no longer reverse left and right
    * fixed a crash when ejecting the disc during the autosave warning splash screen
    * Players in a lobby should no longer experience long loading when starting a game after one player leaves
    * A bug which caused players and other things in the world to appear incorrectly on clients in networked games has been fixed
    * fixed a bug in which players gibbed in arena combat disappeared
    * Changed how space required for saves is calculated
    * fixed a bug which caused the dollars counter to spin continuously
    * various localization and other text and tooltip correction

Patch fixes for 360
    * Fixed a bug which caused players and other things in the world to appear incorrectly on clients in networked games
    * fixed a bug in which players gibbed in arena combat disappeared
    * fixed a bug which caused the dollars counter to spin continuously
    * fixed a bug that caused the digger elevator to be unusable after completing the Find Tannis mission
    * Weapon mapping to the D-pad should no longer reverse left and right
    * various localization and other text and tooltip corrections
    * The introductory quests with CL4P-TP should now always progress properly all the time
    * Lilith's Phase Strike ability now works as intended
    * Load times have been improved

« Last Edit: Friday, October 30, 2009, 10:03:00 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #172 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »
MysterD's X-Fire Page
Expect to see lots of in-game screens and a few vids on this X-Fire page of mine.

My Videos
Roid Rage Psycho Battle

Some of My Screenshots

Click on Spoiler to see more screens, so it don't take forever to load for some...
(click to show/hide)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #173 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 11:30:13 AM »
Que and I fought the Roid Rage Psycho last night. They must really ramp up difficulty in co-op because that video made it look easy compared to what happened to us. It was a huge slog just to GET to the guy with lots of bruisers that are just ammo sponges. I picked up a shotgun that shot rockets and it still took like 15 hits with it to kill a bruiser. Though even through all that we each only died once and that was on the last boss. We ended up with so much loot we had to leave some behind because both of us filled our backpacks. And thats WITH the backpack extension that we got from the Claptrap inside that place.

We also had some epic fights doing the quest to find all the voice recorders. It took some time...so long that enemies were respawning in behind us. Like the rocket launcher wielding badass bandit. So we fought our way in only to have rockets start hitting us from behind. Luckily we were able to take the guy out and Que got to keep the rocket launcher. I ended up getting some purple level upgrade thing thats soldier only, but I cant use it till level 22, and Im only 15 now!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #174 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »
Geeez....sounds pretty damn epic, Idol. I wonder how even more epic it would be w/ say 3 players or 4. It must get even more ramped-up, I'd guess?

More Screens - thrown in Spoiler tags so it don't all load and slow-up 56K'ers like Idol.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Friday, October 30, 2009, 02:47:49 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #175 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
Last night was some of the most epic gaming ever.  It was just freaking fantastic.  Can't say enough good about this game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #176 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 07:28:32 PM »
Stop it, I'm too broke to buy it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #177 on: Friday, October 30, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »
Sell a kidney.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #178 on: Saturday, October 31, 2009, 06:51:13 AM »
Skagzilla Battle
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #179 on: Saturday, October 31, 2009, 01:53:10 PM »
So Idol and I made it to the next area after thoroughly demolishing the first.  There are still a couple quests left to do, but they're beneath us, so we just forged ahead.  I might go back and do them later just because I'm a freaking completionist.

Loving this game so much.  So much cool stuff happens, and just when you think "you know, I might be getting sick of this wasteland," they give you a landscape that feels different.  They've done a hell of a job with this.  They really just need to get squashing bugs and releasing patches, but other than that this is good times.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, October 31, 2009, 02:17:38 PM »
So Idol and I made it to the next area after thoroughly demolishing the first.  There are still a couple quests left to do, but they're beneath us, so we just forged ahead.  I might go back and do them later just because I'm a freaking completionist.

Loving this game so much.  So much cool stuff happens, and just when you think "you know, I might be getting sick of this wasteland," they give you a landscape that feels different.  They've done a hell of a job with this.  They really just need to get squashing bugs and releasing patches, but other than that this is good times.

Where MysterD (as Lilith) is at
(click to show/hide)

Yeah, the game's been a blast - from finding new weapons, to new enemies, to new landscapes. The game really trickles things out at a nice pace. They really don't overthrow too many things out at you at once so that you get too bored too quickly, which is good - well, except for the loot. And of course, the loot is the exception to the rule here - I don't get sick of seeing too much new loot. :P

Example - Vehicles.
(click to show/hide)

A Vehicle Combat Area In The Game...
(click to show/hide)

I love the vehicular combat in the game - they had that down well w/ Halo PC port and the controls were fine then; it's great again.

Yeah, I've skipped some quests and just b/c I didn't do them and I'm way above their level, now the game has 'em listed as Trivial. I wish there was some way just to sort the Trivial Ones off to another list or to the bottom of the list or something so I don't gotta' look at them.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, October 31, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »
Randy Pitchford dresses up for Halloween.

Gearbox's Randy Pitchford Gets Mainstream'd
You're not hardcore enough to view this article.
by Jim Reilly

October 30, 2009 - Gearbox Software held a Halloween contest at its offices today. Studio president Randy Pitchford, who is probably the most hardcore game designer on Earth, sent along a photo of his costume to IGN.

Pitchford, if you can't tell, went as Executive Editor David Clayman who dressed as Randy Pitchford in our classic IGN original video 'Borderlands is for Real Gamers,' which is viewable below.

What do you think? Does Pitchford pull it off?

Here's the pic of Pitchford dressed as Clayman (who dressed as Pitchford).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, October 31, 2009, 10:27:40 PM »
haha

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, October 31, 2009, 10:31:13 PM »
That's pretty awesome, I gotta' say.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #185 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
I like the guy that pointed out that not everything is a reference. Especially with this exchange:
I don't know how much this is a reference. Mordecai is the name of Richie Tenenbaums' Hawk in the Royal Tenenbaums. Since Mordecai is a hunter who uses a bird I thought maybe...
Perfect example of what I was talking about. This kind of stuff is a coincidence, not a reference or throw back.
Really? That seems like the perfect example of a reference.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #186 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »
Haha, yeah.  They have a "would you kindly" like right after the game starts, too, but it struck me as more of a coincidence than a Bioshock reference.  Though it could be one.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #187 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 02:01:10 PM »
STOP IT.  ALL OF YOU SHUT UP

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #188 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »
Haha, yeah.  They have a "would you kindly" like right after the game starts, too, but it struck me as more of a coincidence than a Bioshock reference.  Though it could be one.

That struck me as a reference - especially since this line is given to you during the game's tutorial sequence.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
So, fuck all of you - I caved and bought it.  I ended up getting it over STEAM...which is the first time I've ever gotten a game off of STEAM that I didn't have to. It kinda just made sense since I had a prepaid credit card  I won a while ago with just over the correct amount on it and I don't really have time to run to the store over the next few days. Also, the download time kinda ensures I'm going to get my project done before I start fucking around with it.

So, yeah....damn you all.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #190 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
Not spoilers, but another 9 shots.  View them outside of OWnet for best results.  They're at my full 1920x1080 res and they're fucking gorgeous.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #191 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »
STOP IT.  ALL OF YOU SHUT UP

Imagine if this is all some elaborate practical joke designed to get GPW to buy a game that sucks. Everyone, including the video game press is in on it.

In the end we all go... HA HA!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #192 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 07:59:16 PM »
No Spoilers - Just Screenies
(click to show/hide)

Some Rocket Launcher Dreams - Screens
(click to show/hide)

SPOILER Screens - Reaver Quest
(click to show/hide)

SPOILER Screens - Crimson Lance Battling Screens
(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #193 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 09:24:42 PM »
What a strange looking game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »
We need to cool it with the screens, guys.  I've gone out of my way to select the most interesting ones I could, but let's not pad it with filler.  This thread is starting to bog down.  While spoiler tags keep the thread clean, they don't stop pictures from actually downloading, and the thread's getting a bit ridiculous at this point.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #195 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »
How does the friend system work?  Like, if I'm ingame, does something pop up to tell me you guys are too?

And I'm at like 91%.  Just finishing up some work for school, but I'll probably get an hour or so in tonight.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #196 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 10:08:26 PM »
Honestly, I have no idea.  Idol and I always pop on at the same time pretty much.  I don't think it notifies you, but there is a list showing who's on.  If you create a game you can then invite people to it, etc.  There seems to be a weird issue where the first game you create may not take, at least for some people this is the case.  Seems to have been that way for me, so I created a private game, close it, create another, then send the invites and everybody joins.

Were you wanting to play online tonight, or just do it solo?  The opening bits are sort of tutorial-ish, but new characters sort of have to go through them regardless.  Once you know what you're doing you can turn off tutorial messages and it goes pretty quick.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #197 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 10:42:02 PM »
Tonight will probably be solo. After the tutorial part I'll check to see if you guys are around though.  I just don't really want to be up until 2 in the morning.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #198 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
Then play very, very carefully.  I get up at a quarter to 6 and I was up until 1:30 a few nights ago.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #199 on: Sunday, November 01, 2009, 11:16:39 PM »
Maybe I should start doing the alarm technique