Author Topic: Borderlands: Diablo with guns  (Read 148235 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Borderlands: Diablo with guns
« Reply #200 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 01:11:45 AM »
So theres a little issue with the item cards for loot. By default there is only room for 4 lines of text. However, loot can have more modifiers than that. So it might have something really cool like ammo regen but you won't see it on the card.

Some people found a tweak to change the item card font size allowing it to display 5 lines. Getting there, but still wont show everything. Looks to be hard coded to 5 so no matter how small the font thats all it will show. Hopefully this gets patched, since knowing what exactly that gun you just picked up can do is like...the whole point.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #201 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 01:54:24 AM »
I need this game. Stop posting pics, damnit. No more pics, bro.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #202 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 02:24:02 AM »
So, I went a tiny bit after you left.

(click to show/hide)

We'll have to get back into it a fair bit this week.  Good times.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #203 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 03:28:11 AM »
You guys are on PC?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #204 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 04:39:51 AM »
I feel like Im losing out on all the fun now. I played this with a friend tonight and he'd had played a good chunk of it. All I did was follow him and shoot stuff, didn't really know what was going on, how to figure weapons out, what quest we were doing, where we were at... I got bored.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #205 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 07:29:28 AM »
Yeah, that's not really the way to play it.  It's better to start with people at your own level, and preferable if they haven't gone through everything yet.  It's no big deal if they have as long as they don't rush you through everything.  If you haven't played, tell them not to turn in quests and stuff before you get a chance to read the text, etc.

Did you pick it up already, or was this like a splitscreen thing on his copy?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #206 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
Yeah, I had a really good time with Que and Idol.  They did a very good job of leading the way, but making sure I was involved and knew what was going on, turning in quests and such.  They even didn't kill me when I fell off a cliff and had to run all the way around the map again.

If pyro picked up the game, don't hesitate to use those characters with him if I'm not around.  I know it can be kind of a bitch if we're all mis-leveled, but I can keep up and I'll make sure I'm about on par with you guys.  I've got class until around 9:30 tonight, but I'm totally down for another hour or two when I get back if you guys are.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #207 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 04:56:07 PM »
Yea unless you've got someone willing to let you start the game and follow your quests around and give you time to figure stuff out, I'd say your first play session should be alone up until level 5 or 6. I'm actually really glad I've managed to do the whole game solo so far, and then follow up with a coop character that is a bit further behind.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #208 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 05:08:53 PM »
I played with that Lilith character a little bit. I hit level 7 and stopped. Didnt go after 9 Toes, just ran around Skag Gully looking for better weapons. My SMG was horribly weak. Got replacement, and cant wait till I can carry around a 3rd weapon. I picked up a shotgun that I'm enjoying and it goes really well with my special ability. I cause AOE damage entering and leaving the stealth thing, my melee attack can daze, and then I can drop a shotgun blast to their face. It rocks.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #209 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »
I'll be down to game later on.  Got to spend some time with the wife, watch a movie and stuff... so I'll probably be around at like 8:30 or 9:00 pac time.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #210 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »
Out of class, on way home....totally down for playing in twenty.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #211 on: Monday, November 02, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »
I finished the Main Quest.
That's all I'm going to say, for the time being...

EDIT:
I say that b/c I'm on the fence about it all.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Monday, November 02, 2009, 10:15:32 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 07:22:32 AM »
Sorry about last night, dudes.  Don't know if tonight is going to happen either as I have to drive well out of my way to stop off at my mom's place on the way home from work.  One way or the other we'll get some more of this happening soon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #213 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »
I'd really like to do some Borderlands MP w/ some of you guys, sometime soon. :)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #214 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 03:53:10 PM »
We will need your Gamespy ID and at least two other forms of ID, one of which must include a photo.

Ok, just the GSID then.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #215 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 04:35:39 PM »
TheMysterD.

I have a level 30-something Siren (Lilith).

I plan to start up from scratch as Mordecai.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #216 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 07:22:06 PM »
Well, I picked it up. I doubt I'll have great ping with you guys but I'll try anyway!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #217 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »
Well, I picked it up. I doubt I'll have great ping with you guys but I'll try anyway!

Awesome! Hope you like it and hope to see you online! :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 07:57:42 PM »
Awesome! Hope you like it and hope to see you online! :)
Thanks MyD, I added you to my friend list.. Pending your acceptance, of course.

For everyone else, my Gamespy ID is Xessive.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #219 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 12:18:02 AM »

It doesn't matter because the PC version doesn't display ping anyway! Aren't the developers thoughtful?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #220 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 12:37:06 AM »
I wouldnt worry about ping considering I am able to play. But then you might be less tolerant of lag.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #221 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 04:23:07 AM »
Not a fan of lag.. I've been looking forward to losing it since the dial-up days. I'm still willing to deal with latency up to 200ms.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 10:04:16 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #223 on: Sunday, November 08, 2009, 09:25:22 AM »
Wow, Cliffy B saying nice stuff - this time, about Borderlands.

Continuing today's theme of "Devs Commenting on Other Devs," here, for a change, is Epic's Cliff Bleszinski weighing in with something polite about Borderlands.

Many have made the comparison of Gearbox's Borderlands to Diablo. Cliffy B certifies it with this unsolicited Tweet: "Borderlands, I adore you. You're Diablo for a generation raised on first person shooters. I want a Claptrap statue."

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #224 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 02:37:26 PM »
The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned coming Nov 24th for 360 and PS3. No word on PC version....bastards.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #225 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 03:04:24 PM »
The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned coming Nov 24th for 360 and PS3. No word on PC version....bastards.

We've got some word on PC version of Borderlands - The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned DLC.
We just don't know when and how it will be distributed yet.

Quote from: Ennui of Gearbox
Just to be clear, this IS coming to the PC as well. No release date, but it was just confirmed for PC by 2K - just wanted to make sure I got the official go-ahead on that one (we'd said DLCs were coming to all platforms before).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #226 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 06:50:45 PM »
Fuckers.  Why can't you figure that shit out and give us some information like... at the same time as the rest of your customers?  And can we get a patch, please?  I love your game, but c'mon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #227 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 07:00:50 PM »
Fuckers.  Why can't you figure that shit out and give us some information like... at the same time as the rest of your customers?  And can we get a patch, please?  I love your game, but c'mon.

Does 2K have a digital distribution set-up (like say EA Store) for retail owners of Borderlands to buy-to-download DLC?

I'm betting Steam version of BL will likely get BL DLC through Steam and D2D version of BL will get DLC through D2D.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #228 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 08:51:40 PM »
I'm telling you, it's because it's not a PC game. The PC is an afterthought to so many people these day. I'm sure it was like, "Oh hey, lets announce the date for the DLC since we know when we'll have it done. What? PC version? Oh... yea that's coming too I guess."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #229 on: Monday, November 09, 2009, 09:13:18 PM »
I'm telling you, it's because it's not a PC game. The PC is an afterthought to so many people these day. I'm sure it was like, "Oh hey, lets announce the date for the DLC since we know when we'll have it done. What? PC version? Oh... yea that's coming too I guess."

That's probably part of it, too...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 03:39:41 PM »
VG247 - Borderlands interview w/ Mikey Neumann, post launch.

Console game sales
VG247: So this pretty much throws out the PC gamer conspiracy theory that later PC launches exist to somehow benefit console sales, huh?

Mikey Neumann: There’s no conspiracy. We could’ve released [the PC version] two weeks earlier and the console versions still would’ve sold better. That’s just the nature of that economy right now. PC piracy is the most widely prevalent form of piracy in games. That’s gonna bring your PC sales down. People find it cheaper to play on Xbox 360, and it’s more fun to sit on their couch with their TV. That’s also gonna drive down PC sales.

A week delay isn’t going to do anything. Gamers are gonna play where they want to play.

Borderlands 2
VG247: I guess it’s a bit early to ask this, but Borderlands is really successful at the moment. Is there any chance of a Borderlands 2?

Neumann: Yes, I can probably confirm that there’s a chance of a Borderlands 2 [laughs]. I mean, with anything, especially a new IP, if people want more and you can make more, and everybody can make money and do good business there, it obviously makes really good sense to do that. Obviously nothing so far is planned. We’re working on DLC. We haven’t really had any talks about a sequel, other than water cooler talk like, “Wouldn’t this be cool” kind of stuff.

But yeah, Borderlands is really exciting. Everyone here loves the franchise, and it seems like the public is really coming back with praise and love. So yeah, if everything makes sense, Borderlands 2 seems like a no-brainer to me.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 04:00:05 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 05:54:45 PM »
Video from IGN on...
Borderlands - The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned DLC.

Pricing:
$10 for PS3 and X360 for this DLC.
PC version of this DLC will be coming "later."

Details:
6-10 hours of gameplay
Around 50 new Quests
5 New dungeons
"Stronger" narrative.

Different zombie types (listed below).

Zombie types - standard shambling; torso crawling zombies; spitter zombies; suicidal zombies; psycho zombies; "Tankenstein" zombies (cross b/t a zombie and Frankenstein which are very hard to kill).

"Tankenstein" zombie types - huge chest carriers (that you can loot if you can kill them); explosive barrel tossers; lightning bolt tossers.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 06:43:35 PM »
Pumped.  Definitely something I'll get into after beating the main game.

About that;

What's the level limit on the game?  I've been reading that the second play through drops way better loot, but I'd imagine that by the time you're through the game the first time your player would be fully developed.  I've heard 50 levels, so ~roughly 50 skill points to flesh out your tree, is that correct?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #233 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »
45, since you don't get a skill point until level 5, and technically it's really only 44 since you have to spend that one point on your main skill.  But yeah, I think one generally probably maxes on their 2nd run.  Not sure how that all goes in the third run, since that's supposed to be the most difficult.  Obviously enemies get harder, but I have no idea about drops and such.  Maybe it's just super-hard versions of all the usual enemies but maxed at level 50 with you, and you just have to hope for the best with drops.  No clue.

Anyway, that looks awesome.  I love how Ned is basically Zed with a mustache.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2009, 07:54:44 PM »
Anyway, that looks awesome.  I love how Ned is basically Zed with a mustache.
Let's see...I spent $45 on Borderlands PC and took me around 25 hours or so to finish in on run-through; Ned is going to be $10 and offer me 6-10 hours of more gameplay.

Yeah, Ned's campaign will probably be longer than L4D2's campaign for WAY LESS money.

About Ned being Zed w/ a ridiculous mustache - loved that nod to the IGN Originals vid where they dressed as Pitchford.

When the PC version gets this Ned DLC, I'm buying.

Offline wizall

« Reply #235 on: Thursday, November 12, 2009, 12:27:35 AM »
Haven't had access to a comp for a while now, but it's good to pop in.

So I've been playing this a lot co-op with my brother splitscreen. (We don't have the internet at the house.) It's pretty damned enjoyable. We're both at 28. I'm playing the Hunter and he's playing the Soldier. It seems to be a decent combo. And even though splitscreen feels limiting at first, you get used to it pretty quick. I'd really like to try 4-player soon when we're back online.

Haven't tried the Berserker or the Siren. Anyone try the Berserker? It seems like it could be a little boring, just using your fists all the time.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #236 on: Thursday, November 12, 2009, 12:40:46 AM »
I've got a level 29 berserker. He's my coop character. My friend plays a soldier, my single player character is a siren, and trying to snipe with lag on a hunter sucks (lag isn't so bad now that I've upgraded my net connection to a faster speed). So I went with brick.

I use shotguns and fists, specced fully into the melee damage tree (far left tree). At first it was tough because I'd take a lot of damage while berserk (still do), but now that I have a lot more health and regenerate health when I kill someone, it's a lot more doable. Believe it or not, against multiple enemies I'm better off popping berserk and rushing in than I am trying to shoot people, just because of the regenerating health and how fast I can drop people. It's nice that gun upgrades aren't as important, though it does lessen the desire to push forward for better loot.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #237 on: Thursday, November 12, 2009, 07:23:12 AM »
I have 2 berserkers, one totally focused on explosives and one focused on melee and damage over accuracy.  They're both quite fun.  You don't really use your fists all the time... I think a lot of people are under the impression he doesn't even use guns, which isn't the case.  He can use anything anyone else can and be quite skilled at it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #238 on: Thursday, November 12, 2009, 09:39:19 AM »
Yea I'd say about 50% of my time on brick is berserk, rest is using a shotgun. I've got the cooldown down to 15 seconds or so, and I've got to have SOMETHING to do for that 15 seconds, so I use a shotty. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #239 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »
Game Informer - Interview with The President of Gearbox, Randy Pitchford.

About Old Haven Area...
(click to show/hide)

Storage Lockers
GI: Any plans for a locker, so players could store their weapons?

RP: We know that some people are interested in that, and we’re working on that.

Level Cap Raising in Future DLC = Maybe?
GI: Any chance of the level cap going up with future DLC?

RP: We’re working on it. I know that’s something that people really want. You asked me earlier how difficult it was to balance everything, and as a customer I don’t care – I don’t want to hear how difficult things are – I just want what I want. I spend a lot of time making excuses, but we want that too, and we’re investing in that and I would not be surprised if we are able to offer that in the future, but at this point I can’t make any promises.

Zombie Island DLC

GI: Let’s talk about The Island of Dr. Ned. Is it like Fallout 3’s Operation Anchorage where it’s sectioned from the rest of the world, or is it more of a worldwide experience where new enemies are interjected into the previous zones?

RP: When you download The Island of Dr. Ned, you’ll unlock a fast travel pass, even if you haven’t unlocked the fast travel network. From any registration station in the game you can immediately transport yourself to the zombie island. From there, a new adventure unfolds. It’s a separate adventure, and a new adventure that has a beginning, middle, and end. In some cases, I think the story is more cohesive and stronger than the main story in Borderlands. The commentary that is there is very subtle. It’s basically a treasure hunt that has a bad guy at the end that protects the treasure. It’s a very simple premise. Now, we’re never very heavy fisted with storytelling in Borderlands. We focus on the action, and the gameplay and the pace. We’re not going to be adding any dialogue trees or cutscenes. Of course, there will be a little something to set it up. You’ll have instant access to it, and really fast you’ll be killing zombies, franken and wolf monsters, and all sorts of cool stuff.

We went nuts with the DLC. The zombie thing kicks ass. It’s a lot of fun, dude. There’s this big Frankenstein looking guy with chains on him, and a chest on his back. So, when you take him down, you can loot the chest. He carries the chest around with him. It’s freaking great. There’s were-skags and stuff and it’s just fun. The setting is really cool. It doesn’t even look like Borderlands anymore. I mean, it looks like Borderlands because of the art style, but it feels like this place I’ve never seen before. It’s gloomy, there’s trees and stuff, and it feels like I’m in a swamp.