Author Topic: Borderlands: Diablo with guns  (Read 148158 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Friday, November 13, 2009, 05:33:00 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Borderlands: Diablo with guns
« Reply #241 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 05:47:16 AM »
I just had my first multiplayer bout! Man is it fun! Sometimes the level gap sets people apart but you never feel completely useless.

Looking forward to the update!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 05:49:54 AM »
I just had my first multiplayer bout! Man is it fun! Sometimes the level gap sets people apart but you never feel completely useless.

Looking forward to the update!

Sweet! :)
I still ain't even tested MP - b/c it wouldn't connect as is.

Did it work as is?
Did you have to open your ports up?
Enabling port forwarding?
Did you use GameRanger?

What's the scoop? :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #243 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 06:03:17 AM »
It was just as is. Loaded it up, connected to Gamespy, invited a friend, and in we went. Simple and straightforward.

I have noticed though that LAN game seems to be broken. I installed the game on my brother's PC and tested to see if we could connect but nothing. It doesn't detect the game at all. The Online mode works very well though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #244 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 06:04:57 AM »
I'm on Verizon DSL - wonder if that's part of the problem for me.
GameRanger tells me I have a Port-Restricted Cone NAT Router.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #245 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 06:11:28 AM »
I'm on Verizon DSL - wonder if that's part of the problem for me.
GameRanger tells me I have a Port-Restricted Cone NAT Router.
Never used GameRanger.

You could try opening ports through your routers settings.

I do know for a fact that my ISP (Etisalat) does some shifty shit behind the scene which prevent a lot of stuff from working properly. For example I cannot use RapidShare or Hotfile at all (or any other similar services), they always say "you're already downloading a file, wait till it's done" even if it's the first time I'm visiting the site. I narrowed it down to problem from my ISP because they all work fine when I connect through a VPN that routes through the US or Europe.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #246 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 06:37:29 AM »
Okay, instead of just booting BL up by itself and going through Gamgspy (which I have set to no auto-log-in)...
...I booted BL up through GameRanger - works fine there w/out changing anything. :)
MysterD on GameRanger, if anybody wants to find me on there - in case I'm running a MP game.

No wonder I never saw many games going on GameSpy (even though I could never connect or host one)...
They all are here on GameRanger playing BL!!!
There's like 453 rooms going on GR right now, as I type this....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #247 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »
Installing GameRanger now. Will look for you on there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #248 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 07:21:29 AM »
Installing GameRanger now. Will look for you on there.

Cool. :)

EDIT:
Lost Net Connection for a few.
Coming right back online.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 07:46:07 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #249 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 07:50:31 AM »
Ah, I thought it was on my end :D

That bug was game-breakingly bad though!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #250 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 08:10:03 AM »
Ah, I thought it was on my end :D

That bug was game-breakingly bad though!

Good thing my connection kicked me.
Forced me to restart.
When I came back on, gate was unlocked.
Mad weird.

At least my saved character didn't wind up screwed. :)
That's what matters.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 08:47:35 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #251 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #253 on: Monday, November 16, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »
Patch released!

Update 1.0.1 Notes:

- Characters that have lost skill points will have the lost points refunded
- Clients will no longer lose proficiency progress upon leaving a co-op game
- Item cards now display the intended five lines of detail text
- Lilith's Phase strike and melee attacks from Phase Walk now function as intended
- Voicechat: users can now control volume and individually mute players
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused CL4P-TP to stop progressing during the introduction
- Server browser population times have been improved
- Server information should now always display the correct plot mission
- Benchmarking feature now works as intended
- Nvidia 3D Vision visuals now render shadows correctly (requires minimum 195.28 drivers, available from nVidia)

For a nearly 200mb patch, I am surprised it fixes so little. Lucky thing I ended up at the library tonight so I can download it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #254 on: Monday, November 16, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »
Thank you Idol!

EDIT:
Someone asked about why there were no connection fixes for Borderlands PC Patch 1.01.
Looks like Gearbox has fixed connectivity issues w/ GameSpy.
We'll see it in the next update coming, according to Ennui.

Quote from: Ennui
The problems some users are experiencing with connectivity will be addressed in the next update. A fix has been found and we'll deploy it as soon as possible.

EDIT 2:
For any of you guys, if you have flickering shadows w/ PC Patch 1.01, turn Dynamic Shadows OFF, then back ON again. Worked for me.

Other solution - reboot your PC and boot Borderlands up.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 16, 2009, 08:02:31 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 07:00:10 PM »
Finished this one tonite, but this time w/ Mordecai.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 09:36:58 PM »
GameTrailers TV
Zombie Island DLC - 5 minutes of footage.

MTV Multiplayer
MTV Multiplayer - Interview w/ Paul Helquist of Gearbox on Borderlands - Zombie Island of Dr. Ned DLC.

Length
I asked Helquist about what sort of scale we can expect from the $9.99 pack:

"We think of it about the same size as one of the smaller zones in the main game. It's probably four to six hours of new gameplay with a lot of new regions, new monsters, that kind of thing. It's probably about the size of the Arid Badlands [the starting zone] and one or two of the doglegs."

DLC is Scaled For Level 10 And Above
Perhaps more interesting is what level the content will be scaled for. Said Helquist:

"As soon as you enter the download content, it detects what level you are and sets the area to about the same level of what you're at. So whenever you buy the DLC, wherever your character happens to be, you can go into Jakobs Cove and you should be good to go."

"I should mention that [level 10] is the minimum level. So if you started a level 1 character and jumped in, the monsters would be level 10.
That's because we wanted to be sure that players played the beginning of 'Borderlands' and really understood what 'Borderlands' is about, 'cause there's no training in the download content."

More on Scaling
Don't worry about setting the content too low, though. Whenever you return to Jakobs Cove the game will re-scale the enemies and loot, allowing you to play through with a level 50 character and still have a challenge.

Focus is on New Region and Plot
Although the draw of "Borderlands" has always been the loot, it didn't sound like that was the main focus this time around, as the DLC won't add any new weapon effects or anything like that. Said Helquist, "The main focus of this download pack is the new region and the new plotline and that sorta thing."

Enemies Appear In Bigger Packs
Helquist went on to say that the number of enemies you'll be facing at any given time is a lot higher than the original game, which should give that classic overwhelmed-by-zombies feel.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 10:09:08 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #259 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 09:19:32 AM »
I sort of lost my steam shortly after starting my second playthrough. I'm hoping to hit 50 with the DLC, or at least get closer. (I think I'm 37 or 38 now) I didn't really lose interest as much as I just got something new and shiny to distract me (MW2, catching up on the original Assassin's Creed for the sequel).

There've been a lot of games lately that I've been counting the days until release (Brutal Legend, Borderlands, Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2), and this DLC is part of that list. Borderlands is great. Zombies are great. Of course mixing the two seems like a shitload of fun, as well as a way to blast zombies without giving money to Valve.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #260 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »
I sort of lost my steam shortly after starting my second playthrough. I'm hoping to hit 50 with the DLC, or at least get closer. (I think I'm 37 or 38 now) I didn't really lose interest as much as I just got something new and shiny to distract me (MW2, catching up on the original Assassin's Creed for the sequel).
I've been through BL twice already - w/ Lilith and Mordecai. Already working on a third time - this time w/ Brick.

Many games, I would've likely just thrown aside after finishing once w/ any character. But, BL keeps me coming back - and I think it has to do w/ the combat and the plethora of guns.

Borderlands is great. Zombies are great. Of course mixing the two seems like a shitload of fun, as well as a way to blast zombies without giving money to Valve.
Yeah, I love zombies and am really glad to see BL get even more content to add more stuff to the game - even if I have to pay for it some small amount of money. Can't wait until it arrives on the PC. I'm sure the DLC's 4-10 hours worth of content for $10 will give the player the same amount of time a gamer would've gotten out of a $40-60 copy of L4D2.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #261 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »
The nice thing about the DLC for this game is that the game is built to be replayed, so you know you'll end up going through it more than once.  Which is pretty cool.  I'm really looking forward to it, it looks like a ton of fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #262 on: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
The nice thing about the DLC for this game is that the game is built to be replayed, so you know you'll end up going through it more than once.  Which is pretty cool. 

That's a good point too, Que.
And probably w/ different characters and at different levels (Since it is scaled Level 10+), too...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #263 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 02:43:10 PM »
AreWeNewAtThis - Part 2 of the interview w/ Gearbox's Randy Pitchford.

B: Borderlands, for a lot of people, was a painful experience because of the troubles with online play and LAN issues. What steps is Gearbox taking to ensure these issues are sorted out for the upcoming content?

RP: I think that is the thing I wished was most different… And we’re investing more support in those areas. There are some awesome people here that really care, even after the launch, in correcting the troubles.  We’ve already deployed some updates, for platforms, that have addressed some of these issues and we have more deploying as soon as we’re clear to do so.  I think the connectivity issues that some customers are having will be soon cleared up and I think the experience has taught us and our publishing partner a lot which in turn will make the connectivity experience in our future games much better.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #264 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »
Were the connectivity issues a PC or PS3 thing? I have the 360 version and the only gripe we ran across was that my friend wanted to do splitscreen with his brother and have me in the same game, but it doesn't support that. Splitscreen or online, but not both simultaneously.

Oh and my friend did something to his network that keeps him from being able to go online with his Xbox at the same time a the family friend who lives with them. (everyone else I've talked to that has tried 2 Xboxes on the same net connection has had no problems.)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #265 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 03:04:48 PM »
Were the connectivity issues a PC or PS3 thing? I have the 360 version and the only gripe we ran across was that my friend wanted to do splitscreen with his brother and have me in the same game, but it doesn't support that. Splitscreen or online, but not both simultaneously.

Oh and my friend did something to his network that keeps him from being able to go online with his Xbox at the same time a the family friend who lives with them. (everyone else I've talked to that has tried 2 Xboxes on the same net connection has had no problems.)

GameSpy has a lot of issues on the PC version of Borderlands - if you don't have port forwarding enabled and/or open a shitload of ports (which can DMZ your PC, which I don't recommend).

I think GameRanger unofficially has done a great job of supporting Borderlands PC for the MP, as I've had ZERO problems really with it myself (Retail Version). I didn't have open ports or anything - and it works fine for me. A lot of gamers are playing BL on GR currently - as I've seen counts above 300 servers a day going.

Steam BL owners were playing it fine on GR, until BL PC Patch 1.01 came out and then GR put an update out for GR around the same time (last Wed) - then Steam owners had problems w/ it. But the other day, GR did put another patch for GR out and it fixed that issue for Steam BL owners - they can now finally bott the game up again.

I can't speak for the console versions.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, November 23, 2009, 05:14:55 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #267 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:00:55 PM »
Opening ports is hardly a "connectivity issue".  Few games out there work well behind routers and firewalls unless you get your settings right.  The only connectivity problems were a savegame corruption that could happen when players quit a game (it's been fixed and all the lost points restored) and you have to host a game twice for people to connect for some weird reason.  Which literally means... start room, exit, start room again, you're done.  Hardly a big deal.  Other than that I haven't heard of anything beyond the usual stuff.  It's worked pretty much flawlessly for me, idol, gpw, and pyro.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #268 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »
I haven't had much trouble playing online, it seems to work quite well with GameRanger too. However, when it comes to LAN the feature just seems  broken (unless loaded by GameRanger).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #269 on: Monday, November 23, 2009, 10:52:14 PM »
Opening ports is hardly a "connectivity issue".  Few games out there work well behind routers and firewalls unless you get your settings right.

Yeah, this. I haven't had to open any ports for a game in years, but pretty much all the online games I've played over the last 5 or so years have been on Steam...which doesn't work in DMZ for some reason.  There are things to bitch about it Borderlands, but the port forwarding isn't one of them for most people (sucks if you're in residence and get actually forward the ports though).

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #270 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 05:09:18 AM »
The DLC was released on Xbox Live and I got it. I started off with my lvl 38 siren on playthrough 2. The zombies were level 42+ and kicked my ass. I got some stuff spit on me and it slowed me, then I got overwhelmed by them. I switched to playthrough 1 and they're like level 35 and too easy lol.

The thing is a 1 gig download. I didn't expect it to be that big.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #271 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 02:42:22 PM »
Sweet, W7. Sounds good. :) Keep us informed on the DLC and stuff.

EDIT:
Here's Paul Helquist on (what many felt) was "the disappointing ending" of Borderlands.
SPOILER alert on the Ending of the game.

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 03:07:13 PM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 05:23:08 PM »
Ending spoiler (base game, not the DLC ending)
(click to show/hide)

I'll have to put more time into the DLC later tonight. I slept late and got caught up in stuff with the family, and now I've got a WoW raid in 30 minutes. Last night (this morning) I really only played for about 15 minutes because it was something like 7 or 8 am.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #273 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 05:50:03 PM »
Ending spoiler (base game, not the DLC ending)
(click to show/hide)

Borderlands (Base Game) - My Opinion and Analysis Of The Entire Game's Story
SPOILERS GALORE
(click to show/hide)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #274 on: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 09:22:17 PM »
Some good points D, I never thought about that last part that way. Now I'm really hoping for antoher Borderlands so I can see what they decide to do.

It's funny how even in the DLC itself, they mention that "Dr. Ned blah blah blah, oh and he's totally not the same doctor from that other story." His mustache is so obviously fake though, and he has an uncanny resemblance to the IGN version of Randy Pitchford from their "Borderlands is for real gamers" video. (He dressed like that for Halloween too, lol)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 06:06:18 PM »
Eurogamer - Borderlands: Zombie Island of Dr. Ned DLC Review for PS3 and X360
8 (out of 10)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 06:33:55 PM »
So far it's a lot of the same, but with a drastically different visual style to it. Yea, it's slightly different in that the enemies melee you and are slow, but that just feels like it makes it easier. I sort of wish the zombies would shamble toward you though. Instead they do like a slow motion run (except for the crawling torsos that... crawl). A lot of the time it feels too easy because the number of zombies isn't enough to make up for the fact that they're slow and only melee you (some do spit/vomit, but it does little or no damage and instead it obscures your vision and slows you). But then I remember I'm playing this alone, and more players = more enemies. Also there are some scripted points where you'll get zerged and it's more hectic.

I can't help but compare to Diablo and Diablo 2's expansions. I don't remember a whole lot from Hellfire (for Diablo 1) other than adding the monk class. In Diablo 2 though, runes were added as a second type of item you could socket into equipment, along with rune words for multi-socket items, new item modifiers were added giving variety to the loot in any portion of the game, 2 new classes were added, and of course Act 4 was added. The big thing about that comparison is that once you bought and installed the D2 xpac, it changed the whole game, not just the new area. The Borderlands just adds a new area to play through, and when you're in the other areas it's as if you never bought the DLC.

I do have a thing for zombies though, so just the creepy atmosphere and the zombie hordes make it worth playing.

I don't think the perfect zombie game will ever exist. I think Left 4 Dead is the closest, but falls short in a lot of ways. If you took L4D and made the zombies slow, added more of them, and then add some barricading aspects, you'd be a lot closer. The only times I've seen anything like this has been in poorly done mods or indie games, and aren't FPS so they lack that satisfaction in shooting the zombies.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
I just skimmed my last post and realized how negative it sounded. I'm really having a lot of fun with it though. There's a lot of humor in it and some cool set pieces. I feel like zombies are lovable enough for all year round, but somehow this has a very Halloween feel to it. There's some pumpkins here and there, and I just came upon a place that was obviously setup intentionally so you'd see the silhouette of the building on top of a hill with the moon behind it. All it needed was a black cat or something to be a Halloween greetings card. I had sort of burned myself out on Borderlands and was planning to come back to it at some point, and this DLC has done it. Of course, now I'm sort of abandoning Assassin's Creed 2, which I still haven't gotten that far in.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 09:16:58 PM »
C'mon, PC release!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god