Author Topic: Borderlands: Diablo with guns  (Read 148160 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Borderlands: Diablo with guns
« Reply #440 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »
EDIT: Also, retail Borderlands DLC add-on pack is available today in North America for $19.99, includes Mad Moxxi and Dr. Ned
Yup, got it for the PC. Been playing Zombie Island. Really digging Zombie Island, I must say. I like that there's more cut-scenes and more story-telling methods uses here than before.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #441 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
Finished Zombie Island.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Myst3rD

• Rookie
« Reply #443 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 12:43:40 AM »
Opening
Sorry that last nite, I never got to posting my opinion on this game b/c...well, somehow, this game took up in one evening during a work-week took up SIX hours (more or less) of my life away. Despite its obvious minor problems and issues - and yes, there are a bunch of them and it all adds up - in which I think most of them probably could be fixed in a patch, I couldn't stop playing. I just couldn't put it down...

So, for starters - I'd like to say, I'm playing the game on NORMAL difficulty w/ KB/mouse. I do plan to replay this w/ the X360 controller, next time around.

For the most part, I think it's a really good game - but, it COULD BE greater if they'd weed out all the minor problems. Hopefully, a few patches will improve on the game and its assortment of minor issues.

Unbalanced Weapons
The game is completely unbalanced. I been pumping purposely A LOT into the Pistols skills (got six points pumped so far into it) - and unless you're standing directly in front of your enemy, don't expect head-shots w/ a Pistol to take them out. Even if you wait a few seconds for the RED critical reticule to appear and hone in to give extra critical damage points, chance are - it still might not kill your enemy w/ one or two shots. Dice-rolls when I've clearly got a shot lined-up and no damage done at all are just uncalled for.

Then, this all brings me to the next point - Assault Rifles are just TOO powerful. I had absolutely NOT one skill point pumped into Assault Rifles. Using Assault Rifles, even from a distance you can basically mow down your enemies no problem - WITHOUT any skill points!  Shocked It's nice there's a gun in the game works - but, it works TOO good here. It makes pumping points into Pistols feel completely worthless.

A little more time for play-testing would've done Obsidian some good, as I think the issue w/ the unbalanced guns is the biggest and most obvious issue in the game, from what I've seen so far. Combat would be fine as it does feel pretty good, when it's taking place - but these unbalanced weapons just don't help the make the game what it could be,

3rd Person Camera Issues
The game's camera is basically unlocked. So, when you turn the cam, it just does NOT follow behind Mike. There's no key to reposition the camera directly behind Mike, oddly enough.

I can understand having an unlocked cam at times - especially for when watching you do kick-ass Melee attacks (punches, kicks, throws, etc) look more cinematic w/ it unlocked - but if you're going to do this, there should be a key so I can always put it back behind Mike. Didn't games learn from the original Silent Hill w/ the "Reposition the camera behind the character" key?  Shocked I guess not...

Another thought/idea - there could be a toggle switch for the player to hit, to Switch The Cam - a key for switching between "Toggle Camera Locked Behind Mike/Completely Unlocked Camera." That'd probably be a good idea, too.

Cover
One issue w/ covering - like other games that allow you to be able to jump in and out of cover - is knowing what you can and can't cover behind. The "Interaction" key will let the player hop into and out of cover. But, there's no icon, flashing object, or anything when you're near an object just to let you know if you can actually cover behind it. That would help matters. For the most part, though - cover works fine - as you can even roll away out of cover; run from one cover spot to another cover spot w/ a single direction and mouse click; etc etc.

AI On Normal Setting
I ain't ran into the AI doing any dumb stuff (think Deus Ex 1, where you shoot a guy dead, dude standing next to him does nothing), thankfully. Though, sometimes, the AI's just TOO alert to things here, sometimes. I'll be behind cover - and for no reason, a guy some long distance away, notices me - and I'd hiding either behind boxes or under dark light. Just...seems odd.

Graphics
So, no - they are NOT anything to write home about. They do the job, basically. The character models themselves are definitely more interesting than the environments I've seen, so far. The safe-houses look quite good, though. Performance issues here on 1024x768 just don't exist - the game is running flawlessly with everything pumped-up on High - so, they got that part right.

Though, it would be nice if they would unlock Shader 3.0, AA, and AF features since UE 3.0 supports natively, since modders have already found their way around the game and got it unlocked. The texture pop-in issue - where it takes time to load-up textures sometimes does exist, but as soon as you notice it, it's gone. It's most noticable when bringing-up your Inventory. The texture-pop is nowhere as obvious as it was in say Bioshock 2 (b/c it hangs around for a few seconds) - but yes, it's still there.

Oh yeah - everybody who didn't like Mike's stealth animation, where his ass is up in the air when moving and sneaking and all - I'm with you; it just looks plain silly.

Controls w/ KB/Mouse
For the most part, controls are fine and dandy. Most of it can be reconfigured - which is great and expected. Though, some cannot be reconfigured to where I'd want them to go. There is a radial menu for switching b/t Weapons/Ammo types, Gadgets, and Skills. They are STUCK on the Z,X, and C keys - and that is that. Personally, since I use cursor keys to move around, not WSAD. If I could've had a say in matters, I would've liked to put these Radial Menus on Insert, Home and Page Up. Also, Inventory is stuck on I key - which is fine, but I'd like the option to configure elsewhere, if I'd want to...

For now...
I will add more to my thoughts here, some time later...Got to go eat...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #444 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 04:03:03 AM »
Uh, D? That was your reaction to Alpha Protocol..

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #445 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 02:31:33 PM »
Ummm....dude, that ain't the real MyD...
I'm the REAL MyD.

I'm MysterD, not Myst3rD.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 16, 2010, 03:07:43 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #446 on: Saturday, July 17, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »
Ohhhh.. Sorry I usually only look for the sig.

Then I suppose "you got knocked the fack out, maaaan!"

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #447 on: Sunday, July 18, 2010, 10:46:52 AM »
Ohhhh.. Sorry I usually only look for the sig.

Then I suppose "you got knocked the fack out, maaaan!"
I got back up, though. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #448 on: Monday, July 19, 2010, 02:20:53 AM »
I got back up, though. :P
Always a good sign :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #450 on: Friday, August 06, 2010, 03:08:57 PM »
RUMOR: Borderlands - DLC #4 might have to deal with...

Borderlands: Original Game Ending Spoilers
(click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Gearbox's response to DLC #4 details leaked.

« Last Edit: Friday, August 06, 2010, 05:14:19 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #451 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 08:21:11 AM »
Official

Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution invites single-player and co-op fans back to try to suppress a deadly Claptrap revolution using one of four infamous vault hunters. The foursome find themselves caught in the crosshairs of a deadly civil war between the Hyperion Corporation’s well-armed armadas and the ever-amassing army of homicidal Claptraps led by one of the most eagerly awaited characters in the franchise’s history - the cunning Ninja Assassin. As vault hunters, players must put aside their past differences with the Hyperion Corporation, namely the organization’s repeated attempts to wipe them from existence. For a hefty payday, they will join forces to help beat down the mechanical uprising and thwart the dastardly kung-fu expert, the Claptrap known only as Ninja Assassin.

“A year ago Borderlands was an untested brand that through hard work and a lot of passion, turned out to be one of the best-selling, claptastic and skagtacular games we have ever created,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “A year later, we are releasing our fourth DLC installment, Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution, which illustrates our enthusiasm for creating highly entertaining content that enhances a franchise. In addition to serving as the perfect bookend to the original game, what gamer doesn’t love a kung-fu-wielding Ninja Assassin Claptrap with nunchuck skills?”

Like its add-on predecessors, Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution offers extensive co-op integration that seamlessly melds single and multiplayer experiences, and incorporates the most explosive role-playing shooter fun imaginable. Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution will provide more than 20 new missions to loot and tons of fresh enemies to blast through, including original boss battles, waves of homicidal Claptraps, well-armed Hyperion soldiers, and local creatures that have been Claptrap-ified - including crab-traps, rakk-traps and skag-trapps. Fans can earn an additional 10 skill points for a total of 71 available skill tree points, and three more backpack slots for additional blood-yielding weapons and many hours of enjoyment.
Coming in September.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #452 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 12:09:25 PM »
GOTY edition in October

Game plus all 4 DLC in one package. Hopefully they also do a DLC pack of Knoxx and Revolution.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #453 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »
Damn I still need to do Knoxx. Somehow I got sidetracked after only like 2-3 quests in town.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #454 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
Hopefully they also do a DLC pack of Knoxx and Revolution.
Agreed.
I already own retail version of Borderlands + Double Pack #1 (with Zombie Island and Mad Moxxi - DLC 1 and 2).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #455 on: Sunday, September 05, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »
Borderlands info at PAX from Randy Pitchford.

1. Level cap increase -> Level 69 Cap for ALL BL game-owners will be coming.
2. Re-balancing -> Entire game is getting re-balanced entirely to accommodate the new level-cap.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #456 on: Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 07:09:08 PM »
I'm working on General Knoxx and uggh.... there's a lot of vehicle combat, and it's a pain solo.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #457 on: Monday, September 20, 2010, 07:35:22 PM »
I got a patch or update of some sort when I started it up today (Xbox version). No idea what it did. It could have upped the level cap to 69 and all that, but I doubt it. I think it was supposed to also add a playthrough 3, but I only had 1 and 2 to choose from.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #458 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 02:58:02 PM »
Claptrap's New Robot Revolution $DLC (DLC #4) released for Borderlands PC.
$9.99 directly from Gearbox to buy-to-download for Borderlands PC Retail version owners.
Everybody else - check your digital distributor to see if $DLC is out for you yet.

Patch 1.40 released for Borderlands PC.
Retail version owners, get it here.
Everybody else - check your digital distributor to see if update is out for you yet.
09/28/2010: Borderlands Update 1.40 is now available for PC!
    * Certain items, such as loyalty class mods, will no longer be destroyed when loading a map other than the location they were originally found
    * Added support for DLC4.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #459 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »
I think I'm going to wait until the Oct level cap patch before I bother updating again.

Still hoping for a Knoxx/Claptrap DLC retail box.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #460 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »
Still hoping for a Knoxx/Claptrap DLC retail box.
Same here. I'd be so down for that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #461 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »
I think I'm gonna wait till the all-encompassing pack comes out since I only have the base game. Also I don't know why I didn't take advantage of the crazy Steam sale early in the summer.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #462 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »
I think I'm gonna wait till the all-encompassing pack comes out since I only have the base game. Also I don't know why I didn't take advantage of the crazy Steam sale early in the summer.
I didn't jump on the Steam sale only b/c I already own Borderlands Retail + DLC Double Pack Retail.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #463 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »
I went ahead and bought the new DLC. I still need to finish up Knoxx, but oh well, I'll get to this soon enough.

I'd be sort of pissed if I were at the level cap though. I would think you'd want the level cap increase at the same time as the new DLC, so the Robot Revolution quests and kills would count toward getting you to level 69. I'm only 43 though, and still working on finishing everything up on my first playthrough.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #464 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 11:18:14 AM »
Buy Borderlands GOTY and get exclusive access to Duke Nukem Forever demo, and exclusive in-game items.

each copy of the game will come with a "membership certificate" to the Duke Nukem Forever First Access Club, which will give members exclusive access to items in the game, as well as first dibs on a downloadable demo before it's released to the masses.

What the fuck? So what about the people that bought all your shit as it released? I'm supposed to buy the fucking game again if I want any of this bonus stuff for DNF?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #465 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 11:29:20 AM »
Yeah, that's always the case. There's hardly any reward for early adopters. All the more reason to be patient and wait for GOTY/Gold/Platinum packs.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #466 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »
You know, it doesn't bother me that someone can pay $60 for what I got for $100 (game+ all 4 DLCs). What bothers me is that GOTY customers get something that I don't. You would think they would find a way to give this stuff to people who had bought all the DLC (like how a Fallout 3 xbox dashboard theme was given to anyone who had bought all the DLC for that game).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #467 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 11:40:56 AM »
It's bad enough when you're invested in the DLC, imagine how much worse you'd feel if you had sprung for the Collectors' Edition as well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #468 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 11:53:38 AM »
Yeah, that's always the case. There's hardly any reward for early adopters.
All the more reason to be patient and wait for GOTY/Gold/Platinum packs.

Bingo - I'm beginning to see more of these kind of re-releases, more so than ever before....

EDIT:
You know, it doesn't bother me that someone can pay $60 for what I got for $100 (game+ all 4 DLCs).

What bothers me is that GOTY customers get something that I don't. You would think they would find a way to give this stuff to people who had bought all the DLC (like how a Fallout 3 xbox dashboard theme was given to anyone who had bought all the DLC for that game).
That was my exact reasoning for not being very happy that Borderlands PC retail owners probably won't get a Double Pack with DLC 3 + 4 at Retail; AND that Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta (DLC 5) never got released on disc.

Both BL's and FO3's GOTY Editions contain EVERYTHING that Vanilla owners can't get a shot at buying at retail.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #469 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »
Actually, I'm not sure if the exclusive in game items are for Borderlands or Duke Nukem Forever. The way it was written on GB made it sound like they were for DNF.

I do have a friend who was talking about repurchasing Borderlands (he sold his last copy). If I can just convince him to get the GOTY edition maybe I can get him to give me the DNF code.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #470 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 12:03:43 PM »
Actually, I'm not sure if the exclusive in game items are for Borderlands or Duke Nukem Forever. The way it was written on GB made it sound like they were for DNF.

I do have a friend who was talking about repurchasing Borderlands (he sold his last copy). If I can just convince him to get the GOTY edition maybe I can get him to give me the DNF code.
From what I saw on 1Up and Kotaku...
The extra for buying BL GOTY is a Certificate to the New DNF First Access Club - which'll give you all kinds of currently unknown DNF perks, such as early DNF demo and some in-game items for DNF.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #471 on: Thursday, October 07, 2010, 03:36:12 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #472 on: Wednesday, October 13, 2010, 09:07:23 AM »
Borderlands GOTY Edition is now available on Steam

Includes All 4 Borderlands DLC

Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned
    Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot
    Borderlands: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
    Borderlands: Claptrap's Robot Revolution

Special Offer

Purchase Borderlands GOTY and get Pandora pdf Map for free.

Purchase Borderlands GOTY and join the Duke Nukem Forever: First Access Club

First Access Club Includes:

The certificate entitles owners who register their unique key on the Duke Nukem First Access website
    Membership grants exclusive access to information and items, including the earliest possible access to the playable demo before it is publicly released.

It's selling for $49.99, with a 4-pack offer for $149.99.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #473 on: Sunday, October 17, 2010, 07:10:20 AM »
IGN -> Borderlands: GOTY Edition - X360 Review.
Score of 8.8.

Game of the Year Edition

The Borderlands Game of the Year Edition retains the same price as the original release, but it includes a whole bunch of downloadable loot. You'll get all four of the downloadable expansions to Borderlands making the game longer and infinitely more entertaining.

The original disc comes with a list of redemption codes that will give you access to download the new content online. If you've already grabbed the four add-ons there isn't anything new included in this package aside from a foldout map of Pandora and a "first access" pass to Duke Nukem Forever. Keep in mind that you will need 4.5 GB of storage space to house this content and each code is only good for one redemption, so you can't share with a friend.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #474 on: Sunday, October 17, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »
If you bought Borderlands on Steam, go and look at the CD key they gave you (I forget how to get to that. Google it). I read they gave everyone on Steam one of those DNF codes.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #475 on: Sunday, October 17, 2010, 07:50:11 AM »
If you bought Borderlands on Steam, go and look at the CD key they gave you (I forget how to get to that. Google it). I read they gave everyone on Steam one of those DNF codes.

Ummm...what about us Retail Box owners?  :o

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #476 on: Sunday, October 17, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »
You have to right-click on Borderlands in the games list and click "View game CD key" alternatively if you're in "Details View" there's a CD Key link on the right hand side.

As for retail owners, your best bet would have something to do with Gearbox directly. Try visiting http://www.dukenukemforever.com/borderlands/

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #477 on: Sunday, October 17, 2010, 07:55:51 AM »
Ummm...what about us Retail Box owners?  :o

You're left empty handed along with us console owners (the ones who didn't wait a year for the GOTY version)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #478 on: Sunday, October 17, 2010, 08:29:59 AM »
I should've noted that my question in Reply #475 was rhetorical - more to make a statement than anything.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #479 on: Sunday, October 17, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »
I should've noted that my question in Reply #475 was rhetorical - more to make a statement than anything.

Hmm, try putting an exclamation mark with the question mark, making it come off as more an exclamatory statement than an inquisitive one i.e. "What about us Retail Box owners?! Huh?!! HUH?!!!"