Author Topic: Spec Ops: The Line -> UPDATE in 2024: Delisted everywhere (Reply 19)  (Read 2811 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Spec Ops: The Line
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 10:16:20 PM »
Apparently Greg Kasavin (previously of Gamespot) is working on this game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 11:22:25 PM »
That would make this his first real project since he sort of came into C&C really late.  Be interesting to see what he brings to it, though I really have no interest in the game at all.

Games journalism died for me the day he left.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »
It looks like a 3rd person Modern Warfare-esque with Uncharted/Gear of War cover system with shifting environments based on sand?  From the trailer (one of the few, if not the only one that showed gameplay), the gunplay looks very boring.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 14, 2009, 02:01:50 AM »
It's kinda cool that they're reviving the Spec-Ops franchise. Although it looks like they're setting aside some of the tactics and realism to draw in a bigger crowd.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 14, 2009, 05:07:52 AM »
I'm not sure what to think just yet, comparisons to MW I don't really care for, the fact it's its in a sort of futuristic setting kind of interest me. Its really hard to tell.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 14, 2009, 06:45:06 AM »
I'll wait to see more before making judgement, but it's got my interest. When my brother saw the trailer he said, "Yup, another brown shooter. No thanks." I'm sure that's an easy opinion when you don't play many shooters. I mean, he thinks CoD and Halo are pretty much the same thing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »
UAE is already evaluating on whether to ban this game or not.

Spec Ops: The Line Setting Draws Controversy
By Tyler Barber | Dec 16, 2009
The United Arab Emirates may ban Spec Ops: The Line.

2K's newly announced Spec Ops: The Line is already at the center of controversy as The United Arab Emirates is evaluating a ban on the game. Mohammed al Mutawa, a videogame censor at the UAE's National Media Council, spoke to The National newspaper on the matter, explaining, "we will have to review the game first before issuing any decision on whether to ban it or allow it." He continued, "If it becomes an international matter, various avenues are taken through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to follow this up."

Spec Ops' producer, Greg Kasavin, defends the title, saying, "this is not a contemporary version of the setting... [Spec Ops] takes place after an unimaginable natural disaster has struck the region." Kasavin made clear that no shoot-outs occur in mosques and that the enemies in the game are mostly rogue U.S. soldiers, and that they're not associated with any political or religious belief.

Spec Ops: The Line is currently scheduled for release in late 2010.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »
Wow.  Greg Kasavin is the producer.  That's interesting.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
Spec Ops: The Line (PC) -> System Requirements + requires Steam.

Good news PC gamers: today I have answers to your many questions about the PC version of Spec Ops: The Line!

You want to know when PC demo is coming? June 12th.

You want to know what form of DRM Spec Ops: The Line will be using? That'll be Steamworks.

You want to know what kind of rig you'll need to enter sandstorm-ruined Dubai? You've got it:

Minimum:
Software: Steam Client
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Equivalent
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 6 GB free
Video Memory: 256 MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS/ ATI Radeon HD 2600XT
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended:
Software: Steam Client
Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
Memory: 3 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 10 GB free
Video Memory: 512+ MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/ATI Radeon HD 4850
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Other Requirements & Supports: Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include: STEAM Client, Microsoft Direct X, Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Friday, June 29, 2012, 05:15:10 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Spec Ops: The Line -> REVIEWS are rolling in....
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »
Co-Op Mode released today across ALL platforms.

Shack PSA: Spec Ops: The Line co-op now available
by Steve Watts, Aug 21, 2012 11:30pm PDT

Related Topics – Spec Ops: The Line, xbox 360, PlayStation 3, 2K Games, PC, Yager, Spec Ops Series
If you are one of the few that made it through the depressing litany of war crimes in the single-player campaign of Spec Ops: The Line, there's reason to go back into the game. The promised cooperative scenarios are now available.

2K Games announced today that the free two-player cooperative mode is now available to download across all platforms. There will be four missions, each with "waves of enemies and blinding sandstorms."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 04:12:51 PM »
Joystiq -> Lead designer Cory Davis of Yager is unhappy w/ 2K forcing a MP-mode and out-sourcing MP onto his company's game.

Spec Ops: The Line lead designer Cory Davis slammed his game's multiplayer in a recent interview, describing it as a "low-quality Call of Duty clone in third-person" and a "waste of money." Davis told The Verge the outsourced mode was just a financially motivated "checkbox" for publisher 2K Games, and that the low number of multiplayer users, coupled with the mode's distinct tone and feel, casts "cancerous" aspersions on the whole game.

Davis revealed 2K insisted on the shooter having multiplayer, but the mode was far from a priority for developer Yager, and went against Davis' vision for the game. Nonetheless, the mode was greenlighted and then outsourced to Darkside Studios. Darkside is a small developer most notable for designing Borderlands' fourth add-on, "Claptrap's New Robot Revolution." Davis is clearly furious with the results.

"It sheds a negative light on all of the meaningful things we did in the single-player experience," Davis said. "The multiplayer game's tone is entirely different, the game mechanics were raped to make it happen, and it was a waste of money. No one is playing it, and I don't even feel like it's part of the overall package. It's another game rammed onto the disk like a cancerous growth, threatening to destroy the best things about the experience that the team at Yager put their heart and souls into creating."

We've reached out to 2K for comment.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Spec Ops: The Line -> Update: Lead designer slams 2K for forcing MP onto it
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
Funny, I hadn't given this the least thought. Just read the Wot and now I'm almost wanting to try it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »
This might help tip the scale a bit.

The story is what really makes Spec Ops: The Line special.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 06:38:15 AM »
Funny, I hadn't given this the least thought. Just read the Wot and now I'm almost wanting to try it.

Same here, more or less.  I read about the dev's furious reaction to crappy multiplayer being forced on the game by the money people, and that immediately perked my interest.  Games designed from the ground up as single-player experiences are becoming rare and valuable, particularly this kind of game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »

How's the Co-Op?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 05:49:09 AM »
How's the Co-Op?
Haven't been able to play with anyone at all. Don't have any friends who have the game and trying to quickmatch it yields no positive results. I tried doing it solo and it's not bad, it's not a campaign just random missions with set objectives and hoard-mode style stuff. It's not spectacular but makes a lot more sense for this game than the Versus multiplayer that was tacked on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »

Man, ain't that the truth!
I've got around 6 hours into the SP campaign so far - and the SP has been outstanding so far.

(click to show/hide)

EDIT:
So, I finished the awesome SP Campaign - holy crap....what an end-game...
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 04:52:22 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 31, 2024, 09:58:29 AM »
Delisted from Xbox Digital Store and Steam already.
And likely also GOG, too - if it hasn't been yet.

Expiring licenses are the issue here, likely of music such as Jimi Hendrix & Alice in Chains songs in here - so 2K is pulling the game.

From Kotaku - https://kotaku.com/spec-ops-the-line-steam-delisted-removed-2k-licenses-1851209947

Already seeing it being flipped for X360 and PS3 for $100-175 on EBAY for retail-boxed copies of this too.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Spec Ops: The Line -> UPDATE in 2024: Delisted everywhere (Reply 19)
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 01, 2024, 11:58:40 AM »
heh weird, I dont even remember any licensed music in the game. Though to be fair it has been a long time since I played it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Spec Ops: The Line -> UPDATE in 2024: Delisted everywhere (Reply 19)
« Reply #21 on: Friday, February 02, 2024, 03:26:54 PM »
My Retrospective and Re-Review on Spec Ops: The Line (for PC).

INTRO - 02-02-2024:
Given all the sad news of licenses expiring (probably of the licensed music in the game for songs from Alice in Chains & Jimi Hendrix, for starters) and this game (Spec Ops: The Line) being pulled from digital stores (Xbox Store, GOG, Steam, etc.), I'm going to do a retrospective & re-review (on a replay) of the outstanding military-style third-person shooter (TPS) by Yager, which certainly is one of the most memorable of these type of Gears of War-like cover shooters ever made.

CROSS(-ING) THE LINE.
In this game, you play Walker from the military, a soldier who has a squad that goes into Dubai for a recon mission. That doesn't same much and I'm not going to much further into that, as that's the set-up and you're likely better off not knowing much going in here. That is just the start of the game's descent into brutality & madness, in which this game eventually becomes something else entirely in so many ways, without going into spoiler turf here.

This is not an easy game for many people to stomach, given its commentary here & also the grisly and brutal of the content in this game & some of its scenes. This game's well known for some players not finishing the game at a certain common "quitting point" in the game, due to its nature - but for those that can see it through even after that point, that quitting point (QP) is not just the only brutal part of this game; it still gets brutal in other ways here after that QP, too. The game is both a physical and mental tour de force here, for both gamers & the characters in this game, without spoiling anything here.

Basically, Spec Ops: TL is gaming's Heart of Darkness & Apocalypse Now (for all you movie and book buffs here), without really heading into spoiler turf here, as it has so much to say about its subject matters - i.e. military, war, violence, morality, Gov't agencies, patriotism, and more.

GAMEPLAY.
The set pieces and shoot-outs here are outstanding, along w/ the licensed soundtrack & voice-acting. The combat's intense and really good, if you love those Gears of War type of TPS's, but instead it's more realistic than that. The script's a total cinematic & gaming masterpiece, all rolled into one here. If you like military games and Gears of War type of TPS cover-shooters, you're going to really like the combat & gameplay here, as it certainly does its thing & plays very well. Just, you know...don't expect to battle bugs and robots here, as this is not a sci-fi game; this is a military game aiming for realism.

On a replay here at 1080p and maxed-out on my 6gb VRAM RTX 3060 laptop here - in which that laptop's loaded with also R5 5600H, 16gb RAM, 1 TB SSD, W11 - this game has no problem running on modern systems here for me. Runs super-smooth and very rarely goes under 60fps, which is great. Amazingly, the game still looks great & that stuff still holds up to very well to this day, due to also the game's art direction and also the number of details in the game-world. I also shouldn't forget this game's own immersion factor here, with the way it depicts Dubai, war, and others things here - and not to forget the outstanding soundtrack of licensed music, too.

LICENSE TO REMOVE, FIX, OR SOMETHING.
This is the point where I state this about licenses in games: I wish" forever-licenses" existed for games so games can be sold w/ their original & proper vision w/ key songs intact (same could go for cars in racing games, too). But, this is how musicians and/or the music industry makes money, where companies need to re-license a track so it keeps getting sold.

So, as much as I hate to say this: I wish more games pulled a Hi-Fi Rush, having a back-up plan in place so streamers can stream the game without NDA strikes & without licensing music playing, instead using generic and/or music from the studio - which also seems like a great back-up for plan for the sad moment when key songs for the game sadly might need to get pulled b/c it's still being sold on a digital service & b/c said publisher don't want to pay for the license anymore.

It's sad to see Michael Jackson tunes removed from classic GTA's and all of the great tunes from Mafia 1 (original) have to get pulled; and/or sad to see games like Specs Ops: The Line & Alpha Protocol disappear from purchasing b/c of this madness. At least w/ Mafia 1 (on Steam and GOG), that game is still being sold, even if it's sadly without its OG licensed tunes. I'll be sad for the day all the great licensed tunes from Vampire: Bloodlines need to get pulled, too.

OUTRO, FOR NOW.
It's a shame to see such a great TPS game with tons to say & still very relevant - and it probably always will be, TBH - get pulled from digital stores. Though I do see Xbox 360 & PS3 copies from retail on EBay now going for over $70-150. So, yeah - "Wow! Just wow!" It's not a long single-player campaign, which can go for around 8 hours or so - but with multiple difficulties here & it's a extremely well-executed right & perfect in length, it rocks. It never lets go of the player in so many ways & is definitely being thought-provoking from start to finish.

For those that can stomach it, this really should not be missed; this descent into its theme of War is that place below us here is just gripping, brutal, and loaded with tons to say.

Spec Ops: The Line is a crazy roller coaster ride of a TPS cover-shooter game that is unforgettable.

This is an unforgettable masterpiece of a game.