Author Topic: Rumor: THQ wants 2 more Warhammer 40k games in 2007  (Read 2525 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Rumor: THQ wants 2 more Warhammer 40k games in 2007
« on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 03:33:50 PM »
Gamespot

Source: The finale of the expansion pack Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade.

What we heard: This week, the few hardcore PC gamers who already bought, played, and finished Dark Crusade were treated to a tantalizing teaser. When players complete their conquest of the planet Kronus in campaign mode and the credits roll, the game cuts back to an outer-space shot of the blue planet where all the action took place. Then the camera slowly pans backward to reveal another dusty-looking planet that appears to be wracked by warfare, with explosions popping up all across the surface. The slow pan continues further along to show yet another, reddish planet, where fighting also seems to be taking place. The screen goes dark and in big block letters, "2007" appears.

The post-credits sequence implies that, at the very least, an expansion to Dawn of War will be released next year, perhaps combining the series' trademark real-time strategy battles with some sort of space exploration element. This would certainly make sense in the context of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, in which multiple warring factions are always vying for intergalactic supremacy. Some have taken the fact the shot shows two planets as a sign that THQ and Warhammer developer Relic are readying not just one, but a pair of expansions--or possibly even sequels--to Dawn of War.

The official story: "That's awesome that you guys finished the game! Unfortunately, we aren't currently announcing anything, as Dark Crusade just shipped. ... Feel free to speculate!"--THQ rep.

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus that THQ is readying at least one Dawn of War product. And, given than the original Dawn of War and the Winter Assault expansion have sold over 260,000 units to date combined (according to the NPD Group), a second expansion also seems likely.
Quick Warhammer nerds! What races are left that live on dusty and/or reddish planets?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Rumor: THQ wants 2 more Warhammer 40k games in 2007
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »
Heh, it's quite doubtful that there's any plans for an invasion of an actual homeworld.  Most races have quite a lot of planets where they might hang out.  Still... fucking Tyranids and Adepta Sororitas need to happen, or I'm gonna' kill somebody.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 03:46:38 PM »
Could you imagine something like a DoW expansion that updates everything to the CoH engine and adds Tyranids?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 04:51:09 PM »
Could you imagine something like a DoW expansion that updates everything to the CoH engine and adds Tyranids?
That would be incredible! Albeit doubtful, it would be nice.

I really want a Warhammer 40k FPS that's not Fire Warrior. They could do a squad-based shooter. I can see it being very similar to Freedom Fighters with the squad and solo mission styles.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 05:28:54 PM »
I would absolutely love a graphical update to DoW.  It wouldn't even have to be CoH-level.  Just a little coat of paint on a few things, like getting rid of the view distance limitations and such, maybe making armies a little bit more customizable.  I could play this game for years to come if they kept supporting it, and I'd pay good money for further expansions.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 05:36:22 PM »
Yea, a Warhammer turn based strategy would be awesome, or even some space combat stuff. In any case, Im really giddy that more Warhammer games are planned.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 06:16:48 PM »
Tyranids are really the only major thing they can add in since they have parts of the Inquistion (Witch Hunters and Deamonhunters) in the Space Marines... I suppose they could add the Dark Eldar which would be awesome. A graphics update would be a good enough reason for another expansion too. It'd almost be better than a whole new game because if they start over again they're going to lose all the races they already have in there and you know they're not going to make a sequel with seven races as fleshed out as they are now.

As for the red dusty planet... I dunno. It could be anything. However (there's a however!), Tyranids like to pretty much leave a planet as nothing more than a giant lifeless space rock when they're through with a world. It could be hinting at a Tyranid invansion.

Either way, fuck yeah.