Author Topic: Braid (XBLA)  (Read 9431 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Braid (XBLA)
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, February 19, 2009, 09:13:57 AM »
That makes sense now.  Yeah, if you don't like someone personally, it's hard to get into anything they do.  I can watch Tom Cruise but not Roseanne Barr.  That sort of thing.  :)

Someday I'll have a PS3.  Someday.  *Sigh*

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, February 19, 2009, 09:22:48 AM »
And don't get me wrong... I don't know the guy from a hole in the ground.  Just some of the stuff he's said has rubbed me the wrong way.  I think his game is worthy of success, even if I'm not going to rush out and buy it, and I hope that it does well on PC.  It might be just me, but for some reason the guy's thoughts don't seem to quite jive with mine from a lot of what I've read.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, February 19, 2009, 09:48:22 AM »
He definitely thinks of Number One first.  I got that impression immediately when listening to a long podcast in which he was interviewed.  I guess it just didn't bother me.  I remember trying my hand at exactly the same thing with decades-older tech.  It was a big surprise to a very naive former self how little you get for your efforts if you don't know how to fight for money (or even know it's necessary).  He made the right moves and they paid off.  The $15 price on XBLA got vocal opposition, but turned out to be warranted.  He miscalculated on the PC price, then realized it quickly and adjusted to it.  He may be cocky, but he isn't stupid.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 03:27:09 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »
I suppose they'll be complaining next because it's on sale for $10 on XBLA.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »
Well, it gave Impulse a nice two month start on the Steam version...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 04:54:25 PM »
So I bought Braid with my 20% discount on Impulse. While I enjoyed it, I'm glad I didn't pay more.

The gameplay itself is pretty fun, and the time manipulation was really interesting. What the game needed was some more levels. It is really short. I want to play more but there is no more to play, and I started playing...what, yesterday?

The story stuff is way overblown. There was a neat twist at the end (that I won't spoil) that uses the time manipulation itself to tell a story which I thought was great, but other than that it all felt so pretentious and unrewarding. You can leave stories up to interpretation, but Braid seems to be so utterly vague that you have no idea whats actually going on. Thats not "powerful", its just blowing smoke.

If you can play it for cheap, go for it. Its fun, for the gameplay. Just don't listen to the reviews that make a big deal out of the story. Its a big "games are art" wankfest.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 04:41:07 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »
Thats probably what its worth. I've played free platformers that were far better in terms of gameplay, longevity, and replay value. You just can't wear a monocle and sip wine while you discuss its meaning with other pretentious assholes afterwards.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 05:23:48 PM »
Thats probably what its worth. I've played free platformers that were far better in terms of gameplay, longevity, and replay value. You just can't wear a monocle and sip wine while you discuss its meaning with other pretentious assholes afterwards.

Okay, I'll make sure to get my monocle and wine ready, once I eventually buy this game and play it (likely when it'll be $5 on Impulse)...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 06:50:47 PM »
I picked it up on a whim on Impulse and haven't even played it yet.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 07:23:49 PM »
I picked it up on a whim on Impulse and haven't even played it yet.

Nothing wrong w/ supporting Stardock. :)
Oh, and Jonathan Blow, too.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »
Meh.  I think his last name is appropriate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 11:03:07 PM »
Tried the demo of this and uninstalled it.  I like platformers and all but I don't see what the big fucking deal is with this game.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 11:52:09 PM »
Tried the demo of this and uninstalled it.  I like platformers and all but I don't see what the big fucking deal is with this game.

I'm not sure how far the demo lets you go, but the game becomes a mindfuck later. I got like halfway through and then got distracted by other stuff and haven't played it in months. Now when I go back and try to pickup where I left off, there are time bending concepts I've forgotten and I feel like that's fucking me up and I need to start over to relearn them.

I feel the same way about the math classes I took in high school and college. I did algebra, geometry, geometry 2, and trig in high school, then I couldn't test out of college algebra because I forgot the the fuck to do it all, so I had to take the class.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 11:55:21 PM »
The game is more like a puzzle game that uses platforming mechanics, not really a real platformer. There are puzzles and you solve them by doing specific platformy things, then move on to the next puzzle.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Friday, September 11, 2009, 03:17:48 PM »
Meh.  I think his last name is appropriate.

ROFL!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, January 09, 2010, 06:48:02 AM »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #58 on: Saturday, January 09, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »
I actually picked it up during the Steam sale for $2.49. I then proceeded to play through it, really damn cool game.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 01:49:04 AM »
I'm pretty sure most people here have played this game already on the Xbox360 or the PC, but it's also 50% off on PSN until Jan. 27 -- it's going for $7.49, which is still more expensive than most of the sales posted above.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 09:36:24 AM »
I am definitely buying it tonight on PSN tonight. Finally, a reasonable sale on PSN.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 06:24:10 AM »
I got it on PSN and took a bit to download it. Once it was done, I tried to play, and it wouldn't let me saying it needed to download a 240mb patch first.

What B.S.! Why not integrate the final version into the original download like steam!?

This happened with Little Big Planet. I had to wait three or four hours to play because there was almost a GB of mandatory patching. The worse of it is that these game patches can't be downloaded in the background.

PSN is definitely more backwards than XBL or Steam.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »
Yeah, that is stupid. Having patches is great, but for digital download if the person has to download the full game then that download should always be the full latest version. Especially when the games are relatively small anyway, since the "patches" sometimes the same size as the full game!

In another thread I tackled the problem of not being able to download updates in the background. Using a neat proxy program you can capture the download URLs and download the files on your PC, then the program can point to that local file when the PS3 requests it again. Its pretty much the only way for me to use PSN.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 12:09:59 PM »
Yea I think this patch was about as big as the game, which is just... well... lazy.

I've been having issues with my ISP lately, so this is doubly frustrating. I am switching to a better DSL company soon, but yea this sucks.

So far every game I've bought on the PS3, I haven't been able to play straight out of the box. It doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't allow you to play while the patch was being downloaded though.

The other thing is that there is no download management to speak of. Say I am downloading a 500MB patch and something goes wrong at 400MB... why would I have to start again?

Obviously the other solution is not to go online at all, but then you have to turn off your router, and with those devices constantly having their periods, it is too much of a hassle.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 12:26:22 PM »
You don't have to turn off your router, you can just disconnect through the PS3.

I completely agree with you, though. Between the time you first put the disk in and actually play, an hour can pass easily. I guess that's the direction that consoles are going now with updates, but there should at least be a "Play using current version / download newest patch / download while playing older version" option after you first install.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »
I've been able to skip any updates on the PS3 I've come across and still play. It kicks you off PSN, but I can still play.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 01:01:48 PM »
You can skip updates on both the 360 and the PS3, but it will kick you offline.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »
How do you skip it on the PS3? It told me that there was an update and that it was going to download it. My only option was "OK".

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 02:11:30 PM »
That really blows.  On the 360, you get kicked offline, but you can still play, like idol's experience with PSN.  Are you sure you can't just skip it or avoid that screen somehow, and play offline anyway?  Maybe Ghandi's advice is the answer.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 02:51:46 PM »
You can hit Circle and it should cancel the update.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #70 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 06:48:26 AM »
After the PSN sale, I finally got a hold of this.

So, it is pretty cool. I love the music, and the art is good, and I've just finished the first room and it is pretty cool. I do think it is a game that at this stage probably would suffer from its own hype... kinda like the movie "Lost in Translation".

Also before I started the first room, the crap about the princess and all was so weird. I could see what he was trying to say, but maybe he should have hired someone to write it for him? Or will that make sense later?

Anyway, I am enjoying it, and hope to get to the "mind fuck" bits later.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 08:56:04 AM »
If it seems like a standard platformer, you haven't played long enough yet.  I enjoyed it, but I paid too much for it.  The price point now makes a lot more sense for a few hours of unique puzzling.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #72 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 09:42:53 AM »
Also before I started the first room, the crap about the princess and all was so weird. I could see what he was trying to say, but maybe he should have hired someone to write it for him? Or will that make sense later?
It will never make sense.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #73 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 11:00:11 AM »
It almost seems like it was written by a second language student.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 03:16:50 PM »
Someone give me a heads up next time this goes on sale somewhere.  I saw a physical copy marked down to 13 bucks, but that's still too expensive for me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »
Someone give me a heads up next time this goes on sale somewhere.  I saw a physical copy marked down to 13 bucks, but that's still too expensive for me.

For what platform you looking to buy it on?

Any platform?
PC? (likely would be either Impulse or Steam here)
X360?
PS3?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »
For what platform you looking to buy it on?

Any platform?
PC? (likely would be either Impulse or Steam here)
X360?
PS3?

Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter.  What reading I've done suggests there's little to no difference in the game among platforms.  The physical copy I saw was obviously for PC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »
Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter.  What reading I've done suggests there's little to no difference in the game among platforms.  The physical copy I saw was obviously for PC.

Whoa...I didn't even realize there were physical copies for the PC version...
I thought only Impulse and Steam had it digitally still....

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 12:47:45 AM »
On one hand, I applaud the time mechanic and how each level/world has it's own gimmick.  On the other, I think people are looking into the exposition entirely too much.  Either way, I'm glad I got this as part of a bundle and didn't pay a lot for it.