Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment THREAD  (Read 1518 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment THREAD
« on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 01:52:22 PM »
Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment announced.

Sounds like a mini-expansion or DLC -- which will actually go for $9.99

Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment Announced  [August 29, 2008, 10:43 am ET] - Viewing Comments

Stardock has announced plans to expand Sins of a Solar Empire before the end of this year with an expansion called Entrenchment, reports Joystiq. There's not much detail on space strategy the add-on, which will presumably be rather small based on its $9.99 price tag, here's word: ""Entrenchment promises to bring fans a Starbase defense platform for each race (extremely powerful and armored bases housing a variety of weapons and other upgrades capable of defending an entire planet), turret upgrades for each race to make them more powerful mine fields and a Subspace Inhibitor platform that will slow enemy ships within its range" In related news, there's a Q&A with Stardock's Brad Wardell and Gas Powered Games' Chris Taylor on Gamasutra with an in-depth discussion of the new Impulse platform, and the future of game publishing. They also mention the new "gamer's bill of rights," reproduced in the next story.

EDIT:
More to add to this story.

There's going to be, throughout this year and next, multiple micro-expansions for sale released for Sins of a Solar Empire.

They have at least two more planned, BTW.

« Last Edit: Friday, October 17, 2008, 03:49:56 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment announced
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 29, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »
Hmm.  I don't know if I should be excited or concerned.  I'll reserve judgment since I like Stardock so much, but this *could* be cause for a little alarm.  Especially since I don't know how it'll relate to players with the expansions playing with those who don't have them.  And if the updates are really that small, just a few units, I can see that dividing the player base pretty fucking quick.

I'll reserve judgment, but I hope my concerns will be laid to rest before too long, and certainly hope that they don't become realities...

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 05:30:35 AM »
If the updates are gonna be that small, why don't they just do it for a patch?
Or sell 'em all in one BIGGER expansion pack?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 17, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment THREAD
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 12:20:31 PM »
Cool, th
If the updates are gonna be that small, why don't they just do it for a patch?
Or sell 'em all in one BIGGER expansion pack?
It's Stardock.  They basically did this with Galactic Civilizations II, twice.

This is good news for me.  Means I'll eventually be able to get both Sins of a Solar Empire and this expansion for a good price.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 06, 2009, 08:31:25 PM »
Stardock has opened-up a little bit about what's next for Sins of a Solar Empire.

PAX 2009: No more plans for third Sins of a Solar Empire micro-expansion, but . . .

Posted Sep 5th 2009 8:00PM by John Callaham
Filed under: Downloads, Expansions, RTS, Strategy

Fans of the space strategy game Sins of a Solar Empire might remember that around this time last year developer Ironclad Games and publisher Stardock announced plans for three micro-expansions for the game to be available via digital download for $9.99 each. The first such micro-expansion, Entrenchment, was released last spring and the second, Diplomacy, is due out in spring 2010. But what about the third micro-expansion?

Today at PAX 2009, Stardock CEO Brad Wardell announced that plans for the third micro-expansion for the game have changed. Why? According to Wardell, Ironclad and Stardock have so many things they want add and improve to the game that putting all of them into a third $9.99 downloadable micro-expansion would simply not work.

So what does that mean? Will there be a larger commerical expansion to the original game? Perhaps even a full-fledged sequel? Wardell admitted to nothing today but did say that fans of the original game should know that the future of the series is looking good.

Offline wizall

« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 10, 2010, 12:53:42 AM »
Finally got a PC that could handle this game, and I played the demo all day today...and I LOVE it, just like I knew I would. But a few questions:

1.) Should I get the retail version or the digital? There'll be a shipping cost for the boxed version. I haven't done much of the digital thing yet.

2.) It's 39.95 for the full game + the two expansions. Should I wait? I see that you said you were going to wait, Scott. I mean, 40 clams for a game with a demo that ate up my night seems more than fair.

Thanks! And I'd love to play some with you guys when I get it.