Author Topic: PC problems & Firefox hogness  (Read 5744 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
PC problems & Firefox hogness
« on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »
This morning I had my first BSOD on this computer in years.  I could kick myself for not reading the whole screen carefully.  I know I saw a mention of a driver, and since my system has been up and working again for hours, I'm hoping that's all it is, a fatal driver error (rather than hardware problems).  I'm not optimistic, since it has been rock-stable for years.  It's getting old.

While I wait for it to happen again, the event allowed me to see something alarming about Firefox-2 behavior.  When I BSOD'd, I was in the midst of typing a reply here on the boards.  After rebooting and restoring the FF session, I noticed that everything I had typed in here came back.  There's only one way for that to happen, and that's if FF sends every freaking character I type to a log file, as I'm typing.  That *sucks*.  It explains why I constantly get hitches in the text appearing in the window as I type.  I want this to stop, and I don't know how.  Once before, I complained about the hitchy text performance in FF, but I found no answers.  Maybe this opens the door?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: PC problems & Firefox hogness
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »
I have no idea and a few Google searches turned up nothing.  Asking in the Mozilla or Firefox specific Usenet group would probably be a better avenue for this question as quite a few Fx developers and contributors frequent that.

It's interesting that you think it saves everything, because I found an extension that does just that:

http://lifehacker.com/351167/automatically-save-text-fields-as+you+type-with-autosavetexttocookie

I still do not have these stuttering issues that you are referring to.  I do use Fx3 though.  Maybe that makes a difference.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: PC problems & Firefox hogness
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 05:59:22 PM »
Thanks for the in-depth reply.  I know I'm behind the times with FF.  The PC has been up all day without another problem, making me wonder if the scandisk for consistency on C: fixed whatever went awry.  Could have been something like a bad sector in the middle of pagefile.sys.  It was getting pretty huge (close to a GB) thanks once again to FF 2--memory leaks.

I'm still very paranoid about the PC.  At this point I don't have a fallback position, at all.  If this thing goes boom, I'm SOL.  I'm wondering if I should start powering it down at night, give it a rest.