Author Topic: Starcraft 2 is a trilogy  (Read 42549 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Starcraft 2 is a trilogy
« Reply #80 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 03:20:09 PM »
I'll get it, but I honestly didn't know the release date was around the corner.

I have played the beta a little but I am not very good.  I'm more in it for the story than the multiplayer.  I know... that's weird.

Edit:  Regarding the CE, I am going to order that version.  Is it worth an extra $30?  Probably not.  But I do love the Starcraft universe.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #81 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 03:55:58 PM »
Bitchin new trailer

I played a TON of the beta... my placement matches kept putting me in Platinum league but I was outclassed there... Not like terribly but I lost the majority of my games. I got kicked down to Gold and I was way better there.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #82 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »
I have the CE preordered.  I will likely sell the extras like the WoW pet and stuff like that, or maybe just resell the whole package at a premium.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #83 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 07:32:26 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #84 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
I saw that on Kotaku, and don't see anything wrong with it.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #85 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #86 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 11:21:54 PM »
I don't think D understands it.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 12:57:32 AM »
I might get this game... at some point. I got into SC again recently (though haven't played it in more than a month) and I just love the universe. I know the MP will be great but I hope the story mode holds up as well since it's unlikely that I'll be able to commit enough time to really get good enough to last online.

I kind of miss games like Homeworld, Ground Control, etc. SC always felt just a bit too fast for me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 05:12:34 AM »
why did you even bother posting this?
You knew some people were gonna get their hands on it early b/c this always happens for major releases and all i.e. Borderlands and any new Steam games. I wouldn't be surprised if GameStop or any other retailers selling this early - like they've done many times before for a big release.

So, well, if anyone is lookin' to get SC2 early, it ain't gonna boot up yet - servers ain't up. I'm just letting y'all know, in case y'all see it on the shelves...

I'm guessing here you can probably at least install it and at least be ready for Tuesday's official release - hmmm, sounds kinda like a Steam pre-load and all. *shrug*

EDIT:
I saw that on Kotaku, and don't see anything wrong with it.
Honestly, if we're talking about the MP portion - yeah, I see nothing wrong w/ this. You gotta' wait for their servers to be up to play online - end of story. I got no problem for online activation for MP games - that makes sense to me, since you need the Net to play.

About SP side - I might be living here in the 90's here, but I still believe all you should need to run SP is the disc in the drive. I shouldn't need the Internet to worry about activating SP Components. I understand why they do this - to try and stop piracy and make sure anyone trying to steal the game early can't run it if they get a Torrent of it - and force online activation for SP portions, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. :P

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #89 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 05:23:04 AM »
MysterD, supporter of piracy since 1986.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 05:34:51 AM »
MysterD, supporter of piracy since 1986.

No way, man.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »
No way, man.

Seems like it to me.

D, if everyone pirates software like you would have in your twisted nightmare world, then the industry would collapse and die. I bet you can't wait till that happens, you son of a bitch. God, why do you have to ruin so many lives?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #92 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »
hahaha... god damn it I love you people.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »
*shakes my head and laughs at y'all comedians*

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #94 on: Monday, July 26, 2010, 07:30:29 AM »
I could kick myself.  gogamer.com was still selling SC2 CE when I last posted in this thread but I waited until last night to actually try to order it.  gogamer.com was out of stock and I ended up having to order from walmart.com.  It sucks because I could have got it with free shipping from gogamer.com but had to spend more at walmart.com becuase I had to pay for shipping.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #95 on: Monday, July 26, 2010, 07:32:40 AM »
I could kick myself.  gogamer.com was still selling SC2 CE when I last posted in this thread but I waited until last night to actually try to order it.  gogamer.com was out of stock and I ended up having to order from walmart.com.  It sucks because I could have got it with free shipping from gogamer.com but had to spend more at walmart.com becuase I had to pay for shipping.

Looks like Amazon and Newegg are also out of the SC2: CE, as well.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #96 on: Monday, July 26, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
I couldn't even find it on Amazon.  I tried there before resorting to Google Shopping, which lead me to walmart.com.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #97 on: Monday, July 26, 2010, 12:48:25 PM »
bestbuy.com still has the CE plus you can choose the "Pick up at store" option and avoid shipping charges
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 01:23:53 AM »
Does anyone not want the Wow pet that comes with the CE? I have a friend who wants it.. If you are feeling generous, I'll take it off your hands =D
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 06:34:33 AM »
I'm probably going to sell it.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 09:35:11 AM »
Guess I should address the people who aren't chinese

lol
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »
SC2 has no built-in AA features, currently.

If you're looking to do AA and have a GeForce card and want to force it on, if you don't know how to do it through NVidia panel - check above said link.

Right now, if you have a ATI card - you'll have to wait for AA features. ATI and Blizz are working together to get AA going at an "acceptable" rate before they release it in their Catalyst Control Center drivers.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »
AA is stupid these days, IMO.  Just set a higher resolution.  It is almost like automatic AA.

Besides, this is a fast-paced RTS game.  The last thing you want to do is slow your PC down.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 07:05:02 AM by MysterD »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 08:32:07 AM »
Wow those are some terrible articles, one guy tries to make news out of Amazon reviews and the other apparently has never played an RTS game before and most of all, there isnt any word at all on how long the SP game is.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 10:41:44 AM »
Wow those are some terrible articles, one guy tries to make news out of Amazon reviews and the other apparently has never played an RTS game before and most of all, there isnt any word at all on how long the SP game is.

If the SP campaign is of at least what many people feel is a fair length these days and age - 10-15 OR more hours, I'm thinking here - and knowing damn well you very likely have a fairly-sized MP component, I doubt people should be bitching about the size of the game.

If I recall, Blizz said a long time ago that the ONE campaign for S2:WOL should be the size of ALL Campaigns put together in SC1+Brood War. I dunno the length of all 3 campaigns from the original SC1+Brood War - so maybe someone can fill me in here?

Anyways, can't wait to see reviews pop-up for SC2: WOL.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 12:35:37 PM »
I really really want to get it. But I'm going to have to wait until next week. Blah.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 05:57:04 PM »
Anyone from our group picked this up yet? I may have to wait till next month having spent money elsewhere this month.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 06:04:21 PM »
Lost interest well before finishing the first, have no interest in any of the "2nd" ones.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
My CE has shipped... it should be arriving on Friday or next Tuesday (damn Monday is a stat holiday).

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »
bad news bro..looks like you wont be able to sell your thor pet seperately (it is tied to your game key)

I installed SC2 and the pet just showed up on my WoW account
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I got my CE today.  Pretty sweet at first glance.  I was kind of disappointed I couldn't sell the WoW pet (at least I don't think so at this point), but oh well.

I'm about to dig into it a bit more.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 07:37:38 PM »
Shit.  I may just hold onto the CE sealed then and sell it in a couple of years and just buy a regular edition.  We shall see.  Thanks for the head's up keeb.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #114 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 01:21:11 AM »
bad news bro..looks like you wont be able to sell your thor pet seperately (it is tied to your game key)

I installed SC2 and the pet just showed up on my WoW account

wow that's b.s. I think.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 05:58:23 PM »
So, how's the SP?  I kind of want to pick this up but I probably won't even touch MP.  Still worth it?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 11:22:18 PM »
From what I hear, it is very very good. I'll definitely pick it up next month.

The CE will cost me $150 to get here, so that's obviously a no no.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #117 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 08:16:11 AM »
From the 5-star G4TV review.

Morgan Webb loves the game, but she rips into the Battle.Net and RealID system.
The Day of Reckoning Draws Near

StarCraft II is almost flawless. It is what most Real-Time Strategy games hope to be: incredibly fun, huge variety, and lots of replayability. There are, however, some major issues with the way Blizzard allows people to play their game.

The first issue has to do with the game’s enforced use of battle.net. This is basically a version of DRM in that you will need to link a Battle.net account to the CD key in order to play the game. (Yeah, you can forget about selling that game used.) Additionally, in the original StarCraft, you could spawn your disk, meaning that your friends could install the multiplayer component of the game without having to purchase it for themselves. This is one reason StarCraft became so popular in Internet cafes across Asia and LAN parties across the world. Now with StarCraft II, players will need to own their own copy of the game, which is linked to their personal battle.net account. There is no LAN support, so you will have to play this game online through battle.net even if everyone is in the same room.

The second issue also relates to Battle.net. Blizzard is heavily pushing their RealID system for StarCraft II, and while they abandoned its use for their forums, it remains to be seen if they will back off of it for StarCraft II. If you want to add a friend in StarCraft II through Battle.net, that friend will see your real name--first and last--and so will any of their friends. This is a huge problem for a lot of people. Maybe you beat someone unstable in multiplayer, and then threats start showing up at your house (it’s not hard to find out where people live for $20 from some shady website). Their insistence on RealID is strange, and I personally don’t feel like I need to give out my real name to play an RTS skirmish online. There is even a place to enter your Facebook information! I don’t know if Blizzard is trying to turn Battle.net into a social network, or if they are just trying to make a moral stand on Internet anonymity, but it is something to be concerned about. You can remain anonymous online and you can add a “character friend” if you know their character name and their character code, but you need to read the settings carefully and be aware that Blizzard is dying to share your personal information.

While I do agree that Blizzard’s insistence on Battle.net and RealID are strange and self-defeating, it does not change the fact that the game itself is great. The game gets a 5, while the framework gets a 1. In the world of X-Play, that does not average out to a 3. The game is fantastic and deserves its score, but I do hope people read the reviews and understand what they are purchasing so they are not upset by what they receive.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #118 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 05:38:04 PM »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #119 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 11:26:30 PM »
My CE arrived today and I've played 1 MP game and 1 mission of the campaign.  Typical Starcraft gameplay... I love it.

While the Battle.net UI is pretty slick, one thing that seems to be missing is the chatting aspect of the game if you use quick match. 

Any of you guys pick it up yet, let's get some games going or something.  My character name is iPPi and character code is 712.