Author Topic: The Wii's weakness  (Read 5062 times)

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
The Wii's weakness
« on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 10:23:52 AM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: The Wii's weakness
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 10:39:53 AM »
Won't affect me. But even if it did, who could play a video game with glaring sunlight on thier tv screen anyways?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 10:43:48 AM »
Yeah, it might be a problem for some people. But its direct sunlight on the bar, and the bar has to be on top of or below your screen. So you'll have tons of glare on the screen at that point. I dont know how many people have their setups facing a window for the sun to shine right in like that.

The bar generates an IR field. Sunlight has a lot of that and floods it out. Same thing happens to TV remotes if theres sunlight on the TV...your remote wont work.

From what I've read, ambient sunlight doesnt matter. Just direct.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 10:59:48 AM »
Yeah. If light is hitting things that bad it's probably not a good place for your TV to begin with (like Idol said).

I already don't mess with my TV from 4-6PM (depending on the season) because I have to close my shades to watch TV and I'm usually not willing to do that because that's also when my apartment gets the hotest. People making a big deal about this is sorta like someone saying it's hard to drive directly facing the sunlight.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 01:11:51 PM »
If the sensor is anything like the one on my car's EFI CNG kit near the engine, then direct sunglight will render it useless. There is a sensor there that connects with a display inside showing how much CNG I have left, and as soon as I pop the hood the read out goes blank. It takes a lot of sunlight for that to happen, but it does.

Personally I think it should be fine. I can't remember the last time I played a game in direct sunlight.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »
Makes sense.. I had the same problem when I was playing Virtua Cop or House of the Dead on my Saturn. If there's too much sunlight, or any glare on the screen it messes with the gun's sensor.

Haha when I first read the heading I imagined Nintendo embodied as a vampire :P "KSSSSS Light!!"

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 03:24:16 PM »
Ok, if no one else is going to ask;

What the fuck is pug talking about?  CNG?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 04:04:07 PM »
Compressed Natural Gas.  Must be an alternative-fueled vehicle.  Well... he does live in Pakistan.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 05:55:12 PM »
I figured EFI was refering to the fuel injectors, so I guess that all makes sense...it a crazy mixed up way.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
I can't picture anybody really being affected by this.  Again, it isn't like this is the only product that operates this way, and most people just based on basic logic won't have their TV up in a place where that's a big problem.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 11:55:53 PM »
I figured EFI was refering to the fuel injectors, so I guess that all makes sense...it a crazy mixed up way.

It is Electronic Fuel Injecting Compressed Natural Gas kit. I had it installed a few weeks ago to save money on fuel,  but it isn't working really well with a 1.8 litre car so I'll have to have it removed. On a car with the CNG thing installed you can use both, and it is pretty ok for the environment, plus saves 75% over petrol.

CNG is really popular here, and is imported from Brazil and Argentina where it is apparently even more widely used.

But it works better for smaller cars.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 12:22:08 AM »
Interesting indeed. How much did it cost?

Anyways, it's kind of funny because sunlight has been the weakness of a lot of videogamers for many years.  It's kind of like the circle of life...sort of..not really.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 03:31:57 AM »
Well it cost $650 for the installation, but if you only use CNG for your car and you travel as much as I do, you make it back in six months.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 09:59:06 AM »
It is Electronic Fuel Injecting Compressed Natural Gas kit. I had it installed a few weeks ago to save money on fuel,  but it isn't working really well with a 1.8 litre car so I'll have to have it removed. On a car with the CNG thing installed you can use both, and it is pretty ok for the environment, plus saves 75% over petrol.

CNG is really popular here, and is imported from Brazil and Argentina where it is apparently even more widely used.

But it works better for smaller cars.
Smaller cars?  When you said 1.8L engine, I thought you were insinuating that you already had a really small car.  1.8L is downright tiny here.  Well, I guess the average 4-cyl engine is probably around there, but we have a lot of 3.0L-4.0L V6 engines here.  Even some V8's like at 5.4L.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 11:53:31 AM »
haha I am not very good at this. What does 1.8 litre mean? That it can hold 1.8 litres? That doesn't make sense I guess.
What is CC then? :P Hold on let me check this out. :p

Like the Toyota Vitz? How many litre is that?

BTW the average car here is 800cc.

edit:

According to the manual it is a 2.5 litre engine, which is pretty small I guess, but not here. My dad's car is 4.8 but petrol is almost free there.

Oh and this car in the USA is basically the Asian cousin of the Nissan Sentra.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 01:41:49 PM »
Haha once again I had to backtrack to understand how the Hell we went from Wii's Sunlight related weakness to Cars, fuel injectors, and engines :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 04:23:58 PM »
haha I am not very good at this. What does 1.8 litre mean? That it can hold 1.8 litres? That doesn't make sense I guess.
What is CC then? :P Hold on let me check this out. :p

Like the Toyota Vitz? How many litre is that?

BTW the average car here is 800cc.

edit:

According to the manual it is a 2.5 litre engine, which is pretty small I guess, but not here. My dad's car is 4.8 but petrol is almost free there.

Oh and this car in the USA is basically the Asian cousin of the Nissan Sentra.
The liter (L) or cubic centimeters (cc) are the displacement values of the engine.  I thing it is basically the total volume of the combustion chambers of all the cylinders when the piston is fully raised.  Generally, the larger the displacement, the larger the amount of torque the engine can generate.  More torque = more power.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 04:30:50 PM »
Haha once again I had to backtrack to understand how the Hell we went from Wii's Sunlight related weakness to Cars, fuel injectors, and engines :P

Ditto. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 04:47:31 PM »
Wii's weakness is sunlight???

Are Wii's Vampires now.....?  :o

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 06:10:11 PM »
Wii's weakness is sunlight???

Are Wii's Vampires now.....?  :o
Hahaha that was the satire of it :P

It's just that if there is too much light or glare on the screen the sensor of the Wiimote doesn't react very well. Then again you can't play any games if there's that much glare on your screen anyway! Normally to play games I'd draw the curtains or lower the blinds, it needs to be dim enough for me to see the screen clearly.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 06:32:39 PM »
The liter (L) or cubic centimeters (cc) are the displacement values of the engine.  I thing it is basically the total volume of the combustion chambers of all the cylinders when the piston is fully raised.  Generally, the larger the displacement, the larger the amount of torque the engine can generate.  More torque = more power.

Yeah, what he said.  I'll add that 1 cc = 1 ml (milliliter), so a 1.8-liter engine may also be called an 1800-cc engine in some literature.  Americans engines used to be designated in cubic inches.  My car has a 302-cu-in V8, which translates to something like 4943 cc.  (They should call it a 4.9, but you see "5.0" labels on cars with it all the time.)