Author Topic: Computer problem  (Read 6278 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Computer problem
« on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »
So my computer no longer boots. It just goes to a screen saying windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. Anyone know how I can get my computer to boot from the harddrive? I don't have a boot disk, unfortunately.

Edit: well it looks like I'm fucked - I was just hoping I could recover some of the files. Damn.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Computer problem
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 09:17:26 PM »
Jeez... that sucks.  What happened?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 09:23:43 PM »
You can save the files on the drive (assuming it's just Windows that's trashed) by booting from a different drive.  This can even be a CD, but it needs to be one prepared to boot up some sort of OS (like Windows XP) that can read your HDD's file system.  Or you can pull out the drive, install a new HDD and start over from scratch.  Then you can hook up the old drive somehow, either internally or in an external enclosure, and see if your data files are still there.  I did that when my cheap PC fried itself.  Salvaged the HDD, stuffed it in a USB enclosure, and hooked it up to my surviving PC.  Works fine.  All my data is still there, and even some programs will still work from it (those that ignore the registry, no doubt).

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 09:54:31 PM »
Jeez... that sucks.  What happened?

No clue. I was doing work and looked up to see the message.

And Cobra, the problem is that I'm on a laptop. It complicates things, though booting from cd seems like the ideal route. Thanks for the info. :)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 10:28:37 PM »
Yeah, well, you can still yank the drive out and stick it in an enclosure.  They do make them for 2.5s.

Good luck.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 07:14:45 PM »
So my computer no longer boots. It just goes to a screen saying windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. Anyone know how I can get my computer to boot from the harddrive? I don't have a boot disk, unfortunately.

Edit: well it looks like I'm fucked - I was just hoping I could recover some of the files. Damn.
Generally, that means your OS is hosed.  Sorry.

Yeah I suggest doing as Cobra said.  I actually have a few bootable discs that would be able to recover files.  A few Linux discs that are also Live CDs (such as Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Knoppix... they all can mount NTFS partitions), and also a Live XP disc (disc-bootable XP environment, with lots of recovery tools).  Don't suppose you have any of those handy?  They'd all do the trick pretty easily, though you'd need a second hard drive (internal or external) to move things to.

Your OS is dead, but I'm sure your data is fine.  Really, an inconvenience, but nothing more.  This is one reason I started putting my data on another drive or at least partition.  That way if something like this happens I can format and reinstall Windows and my data should be there waiting for me.

Yeah, well, you can still yank the drive out and stick it in an enclosure.  They do make them for 2.5s.
Yep, I just built an external w/ a 2.5" laptop drive and a Vantec NexStar 3.  The enclosure was $30.00, but it's a nice one that supports both USB and eSATA plus has a connector for an AC adapter.  I'm sure you can get one that just does USB or something for like $15.00.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 08:44:23 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I've needed to reformat anyways, so I guess this isn't all bad.

I just hate having to pay money because microsoft sucks. But I'm probably preaching to the choir on that one.

Edit: Scott - I gave Cobra the check mark, but you did great as well. No hard feelings?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 03:57:24 AM »
You're dead to me.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 11:33:34 AM »
This check mark system is tearing us apart!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
I mentioned that in my windshield thread.  Had several of you give me helpful responses, but I had to choose one post to greenlight.

Glad it's resolved.  When I had a BSOD for the first time in years last month, I almost had a panic attack.  We get so dependent on these damn things, and they are so chock full of components to fail.