Author Topic: The Que Miniatures Thread - Updated 3.08.2007  (Read 19712 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
The Que Miniatures Thread - Updated 3.08.2007
« on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 07:43:01 AM »
EDIT 3.08.2007 - See latest post for latest stuff!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So here are some *good* pictures of my single Battle Sister that I think is (mostly) finished now:

Note my attempt at an actual insignia for my order.  It's an early attempt, but Sy gave me advice as I fiddled with a ton of designs the last time we painted.  This is what we both thought looked best.  Most of my stuff looks too... runic.  As Sy said, too Eldarish.  So this looked more pseudo Old English, seemed to fit better, and should be easier to recreate a lot (since I have to hand paint it every time).  Note also the cuts on her face.  Heh, that was fun.

So... let me know what you guys think!  I think I need to thin my paints a bit more and start working on how to properly do the robes.  Beo, got any tips on that?
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 11:51:50 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Miniatures thread begins anew!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 01:47:04 PM »
Neat! Haha now I'll be picturing you as the guy from Ronin with all the miniature Samurai :D Patient and dedicated ;D

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 05:53:26 PM »
Heh, I remember that.

Also note that my Battle Sister looks closest to the third picture of her.  The color of her armor is "shadow grey," which is basically grey with a blue tint to it.  The first picture looks too purple, and the second picture looks like sky blue.  For some reason she just doesn't photograph well without paying close attention to lighting and focus.  My red guys I could just snap and they'd look great whenever.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 11:07:17 PM »
Nice Que, Sy told me you guys took some pictures and Ive been eagerly wanting to see them. I halfway painted one of my orks however I had to substitute one of the browns because I didnt have the shade of brown I wanted, so I dont like the way it looks right now. If I had gotten some black so I could mix it then that would have worked, but im going to wait till I buy the paints I want. Anyway, your sisters of battle look awesome. Oh and your probably right about human skin tone being more difficult than say orks.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Facta Non Verba - the Order of Bloodpoetry
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 09:16:22 PM »
Thread has been updated!  See the top for the new stuff.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 09:51:14 PM »
nice work. i think you're definitely right about sticking with an insignia that you can repeat time and time again (since you're going to have to). as for the robes, i'd start with a 1:1 mix of white and a medium grey. blend up to very nearly white, and then use a very thin amount of pure white on the highest points. that's how i'd attempt it, anyway.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 10:02:35 PM »
How many layers do you generally blend with?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 10:33:04 PM »
depends on the model. usually somewhere between 4-6 layers on a regular trooper, alot more if i'm taking my time. if you don't want to waste time using too many layers, the lowest and highest colours shouldn't be *too* far apart.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 16, 2007, 12:47:34 AM »
So I really haven't done much work lately.  Too fucking busy.  But we finally got over to Sy's for a little painting session the other night, and I managed to do a bit more.  Here are a Sister Superior I'm working on (but don't want to do much with yet as I haven't really completely finalized my color scheme yet) and a helmeted Battle Sister.  I think I like the way the colors are working out, really, and I dig the blue/white with the helmet.  So I think now I can move forward with a bit more confidence.  These are really early shots, not really anything to look at yet... but I want to prove I'm still doing it.  =)

The big surprise was that Julia told me she wanted to come over and paint with us.  Sy was kind enough to loan her a dwarf, and so I am proud to present my wife's first delving into Warhammer (she prefers WH fantasy to 40K).  She has a lot of trouble with a lot of hobbies because they make her hurt, but apparently the painting wasn't too bad.  She got a bit of a headache after doing it for 3 hours, but it didn't hurt her hands, and that's saying a lot.  I'm thinking of buying her some brushes and some figures for her birthday now.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: The Magical Que Miniatures Thread
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 16, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »
Looking good so far, that's cool that Julia was able to paint with you.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Que Miniatures Thread - Updated 2.17.2007
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »
Okay, so here's my second sister test.  Did a helmeted one this time to figure out how that was going to work, and I'm pretty happy with it.  These chicks don't photograph well because of my inability, but if you aren't looking at a super magnified version, this figure actually looks pretty damn good considering it's only my 2nd sister ever.  I'm pretty happy with it.  The paint still sucks, but I'm getting better at watering stuff down and doing multiple coats.  Highlighting is still a total bitch, but at least she's got some highlights.  I'm happy overall.  Once I get my painting down a bit more and figure out how to better do the robes, this is going to be great!  Though I think I do need a little more variety in color.  I feel like these are still just a bit too monotone.  Not sure what to do about it, though.  The red helps, but it just doesn't feel like quite enough.  I think I need to do something else with the gun.  Any thoughts?

And here's my first sister done up with a bit more highlighting.  Sorry about all the pictures being yellowed.  I don't have a proper light to take pictures under.  I need to figure out something better, but these were just done really fast.  Do take note that I redid the robes to some degree.  The black parts from before have now been done in a semi-gradient fashion.  It's ghetto, but I didn't like leaving stuff black.  This way it fades nicely and is a lot less distracting.  I think it works, do you guys?

EDIT - Looking at these, something has become obvious to me.  I seriously need to make my silver more rusty looking.  It's cool bright on the armor, but it looks really weird on the guns.  It's not only monotonous, it just looks too clean.  The guns need to look like they've seen a lot more use, I think.  Gotta' figure out how to properly drybrush on some tin bitz or something.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 17, 2007, 04:56:46 PM »
That's pretty cool. Was the grass done as well?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 12:24:34 AM »
Grass?  I haven't done any grass on the ladies yet.  Still haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do with the bases.  I have this idea for a rain motif, but it's going to be a bit hard to pull off and will be pretty involved.  So I've held off on that for the time being.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 01:24:13 AM »
The dwarf with the axe, his base has some grass on it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 01:36:33 AM »
Oh, yes.  Julia did the gravel and grass on her dwarf.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 05:55:37 AM »
looking good. the gradient on the back of the cape is pretty subtle and nicely done.

i personally wouldn't "rust up" the guns - but if you did want to, a chestnut, or flesh wash should provide a rusty effect - i haven't had much luck using tinbitz myself. if you just want to add some definition to the metallics, you might want to try a watered down (1:1 ink / water) mix of black ink over the top.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 12:25:21 PM »
Yeah, Sy and I were talking about this last night.  He was thinking I might be able to add some black to the boltgun and do that.  I think I may just do a little tinbitz up on the muzzle of the gun or something.  I dunno'.  Going to experiment with it today, will post results.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Que Miniatures Thread - Updated 2.18.2007
« Reply #17 on: Monday, February 19, 2007, 02:15:25 AM »
Okay!  Magical updateness.  Here you can see the results of what I said I'd experiment with.  I tried doing a mix of black with the boltgun, which actually did somewhat give me the results I wanted in making it a bit darker, but I figured that a wash would be the better route, and it was.  So I went over the silver areas of their weapons and then did a bit along the riveted crests of their backpacks and along the little nubs on the side.  Left most of their silver bright, but just a wee bit of dirt and definition went a long way on some stuff, even if the effect is subtle.  At least I think so.

Next up we have my real feat of the evening.  Sy gave me a pretty sweet figure that I guess he wasn't planning on using which he got free from... White Dwarf?  I think.  I can't remember what he said, but I know sometimes subscribers get free shit.  Anyway, he's an Ultramarines leader named... Saracius or Sicarius or something like that.  But, given that I didn't paint the Ultramarines from the Macragge set as Ultramarines but went with a pseudo Angels Vermillion scheme instead, thought I'd do the same here.  I think Sy and I have decided to jointly try and get up a 500 point Space Marine army just to have around for variety's sake and such, since neither of us really want to play Space Marines but we both have a fondness for them in a certain capacity.

So anyway, the real bitch of this thing was that I had to take off the big U/upside-down Omega symbols that the guy had all over him.  There was one on his left knee that was easiest because of the fact that there was nothing surrounding it, and then there was one on his chest that was tricky because it had a little knob in the center of it, and lastly there was the one on his right shoulder which was really hard because it had a skull in the center that I wanted to keep and it came really close to a chain that he had wrapped on the shoulder.  And the figure is all metal, meaning it was going to be a bitch to remove those symbols.  However, to my own surprise, I managed to do it!  And pretty damned well.  I got around the skull on the shoulder well enough, the knee was pretty simple, and the chest didn't end up being too bad as I removed the little knob/jewel thing along with the symbol and went for a smooth chestplate.

The biggest problem was my, er... injury.

Yay!  First major modeling injury!  Yeah, kinda' stabbed myself pretty bad.  Not super deep, but the cut was nearly an inch long.  Bled out quite a bit, a tiny drop of which you can see on the paper there, heh.  And that's the figure in question.  You can't see much in the way of details, but I described the deal pretty well I think.

Okay, so I removed the symbols that I wanted off him, but what to put up in their place?  I didn't know.  Sy and I debated some stuff, and in the end I decided on trying to do some chains out of green stuff.  [For those who won't know, green stuff is a two part epoxy putty that you cut up and roll together.  It's basically kind of like silly putty or something, but once the two parts are rolled together they react and begin to harden.  They stay pliable for a while so you can fuck with it and shape things out of it, then eventually it'll harden into a nearly-solid rubbery substance.  You can use it to just fill cracks on a model or strengthen something, or you can full on use it to model stuff.]  I didn't know if I'd be able to, but I thought I'd try since I've been wanting to work with green stuff more and get a little more familiar with it.  Things started poorly as the water I was using to keep it off my tools and my hands ended up pulling the thin line of stuff I was trying to work off the model because the water would drop down onto the surface of the model while I was working it.  That was presenting a problem as I really needed the stuff to stay stuck to him at least moderately while I was shaping it.  Blast!  So I scrapped that idea after a while and decided to form the chain *first* on a flat surface then move it onto him.  It worked surprisingly well, though getting it onto him was a real chore.  Involved a lot of tweezing and teasing it around with the tools I was borrowing from Sy.  And here is the illustrious end result!

I'm totally happy.  Waiting for this to harden nicely, then I'm going to drop some glue onto it to keep it down since I really couldn't press it onto him well, and then I'm going to do another chain and wrap it the other way across his chest.  I think it's going to look pretty sweet.

So yeah, that's what I did tonight.  Julia was also busy learning how to cut out and clean her plastic dwarf models.

Aaand... that's about it!  Might be doing some more tomorrow, we'll have to see.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »
Holy crap.  I never realized how many people were into this.  I don't have the patience for this kind of thing.  I was a Snap-Tite model kind of guy.  I did try doing a more thorough job on some later model Mustangs I got, but I never truly liked how they turned out.  I'm just bad at the small small details and highlights.  My hands just aren't steady enough.

Nice work Que.  The picture of Julia's dwarf is impressive too.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 10:13:42 PM »
Yeah, it's all impressive- from Beo to Sy to Que. I want to get into it, but it's all so expensive. I need to get a job and stuff first. But the prospect of getting tips from people that are undoubtedly better than I will be is encouraging, even before I start. Anyways, looks good.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 22, 2007, 11:19:20 PM »
It's really fun.  You should try it.  =)  And thank you both for the kind words.  And honestly, it isn't cheap, but the cost isn't so bad because you can really spread it out if you don't move fast.  I've spent probably $300 on models, paint, brushes, and random shit, but that's been over the course of like six months or whatever it's been.  So it isn't too harsh unless you move really fast.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, February 24, 2007, 12:35:41 AM »
I'm probably going to pick up a Warmachine model and some paints sometime soon...see how I like it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, February 25, 2007, 10:53:11 AM »
So I got to work a little on this dude again last night when Sy, Julia, and I went at it again.  Again borrowing Sy's dentist tools, I was able to shape the second chain much more easily than the first, and I think it looks a bit better too.  Which, of course, frustrates me to a degree, but I don't think I have to redo anything as I'm pretty sure I can fix any awkwardness during the painting process.  I also attempted to do sort of like an olive branch type thing around his head, something really Romanesque.  I think it turned out pretty well, and it will certainly look more like what it's supposed to be once I get it painted.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 02:47:54 PM »
Okay!  Here's some updates.  I finally finished assembling/converting myspace marine guy.  A bit more advanced than my other stuff given that he has more parts, so Sy was teaching me how to use a pin vice to drill away at him and pin him for added stability.  Pinned his backback/banner combo, also pictured here, pinned that whole thing to his back, and pinned the arm and shoulder to his side.

Next we have the tree Julia finished painting!  When you consider the fact that this is only the second thing she's ever painted, it's damn good.  She used drybrushing for the first time, overbrushing for the first time to highlight the leaves, and then did a couple of thin ink washes to top it off.  She's coming along nicely.  She also assembled a bunch more dwarves and got them set up.  Sy and I sprayed them so they're ready to paint... so she'll have more dudes to practice on soon.

Okay, so now on to my guy.  As you can see, I went a little nuts with the green stuff.  But I was having too much fun to stop!  It isn't perfect, but I think most of the problems can be helped with paint.  I wasn't terribly happy with the cross thing on his back, and it actually got worse as it dried, but I'll fiddle with it during painting and it should be okay.  I think it's going to be kind of a dagger-like deal, used at some point or another to stab people in the neck all hardcore and stuffs.  Anyway, the purity seals are like my favorite thing to do ever, and I'm glad to know I can do them easily because I'll surely use a ton for my sisters.  This guy's are huge, which I'll rectify more in the future, and for now will try to reduce size by emphasizing outline when I paint them.  Still, I'm not too worried because the guy is huge in the first place.

Anwyay, that's about it for now!  Hopefully I'll get this guy sprayed soon.  I can't wait to see what he looks like with a consistent color.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 08:42:39 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: The Que Miniatures Thread - Updated 3.04.2007
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 07:50:37 PM »
I can't wait to see him all red and tough looking. Battle brother indeed.

Oh, I think you put the wrong link for Julia's tree.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Que Miniatures Thread - Updated 3.04.2007
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, March 08, 2007, 11:50:32 PM »
Okay!  New stuffs.  Tried out a new technique for layering on the sister's robes... and I think it looks waaay better.  The first sister on the left in the first picture is included to compare my old technique to the new.

Pretty happy with it, looking forward to playing with it some more.  Just to note, this was blended up from a thin coat of solid Bleached Bone, to a layer or two of a mix of Bone and Skull White, then highlighted with a thin coat of straight white with some overbrushed highlight stuff.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: The Que Miniatures Thread - Updated 3.08.2007
« Reply #26 on: Friday, March 09, 2007, 03:13:11 AM »
Looking good man, its pretty cool seeing your skills improve.