Author Topic: making a game...  (Read 1007 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
making a game...
« on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 03:34:05 PM »
about 10 years ago, one of my friends got into programming. i used to help him out with ideas for little projects and drew a few basic sprites, menus, etc. it was mainly converting games workshop rules into visual basic stuff. helped with working out odds to hit/kill, made army lists, automated campaigns - that kind of shit. something we started, but never finished was a remake of spacehulk. as you probably know, this has since been done (and a hell of a lot better of what we would of made back then).

well, anyway...

he's now an experienced and successful programmer, and wants to make a game for fun. just something 2d, top down and turn based. we're thinking something like the space hulk board game, but with levelling up, maybe some non-corridor environments, weapons / equipment upgrades, etc. he has no creative flair at all, since he's basically a human calculator (albeit, a very able one) - so is requiring my input on that front.

as far as the setting and background goes, we're toying with ideas at the moment. cyberpunk / post apocalyptic/ dystopian future is the kind of thing i'm thinking of - but if you've got any better ideas let me know. if anyone wants to contribute art, story, background - or if there's some great idea that you'd love to see in this type of game, give me a shout.

also, anyone know about bump mapping?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: making a game...
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »
Dude, that sounds pretty awesome.

I can't really weigh in on any of the programming stuff but I'm here for moral support!

EDIT:
I only have basic experience with Normal Maps for bumpmapping textures in Oblivion.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »
probably something i should do some research on myself.

as it's all going to be 2d, we thought using bump mapping would be a cool way to add nice lighting effects. will make laser blasts, flames and everything look a hell of a lot cooler, and won't make it seem quite as dated (also a lot easier than actual 3d models).

so far i've done a few pages of sketches for armour, logo's and the like - no idea if i'm going to use them or not. if anybody wants to do any little logo's that could be used for gangs / corporations / whatever, feel free! i'm currently writing up the game structure and making some games workshop style rules to work out the stats and game flow.

it's probably a bit premature to start writing about the project yet, but i thought it might be cool if some of you lot wanted to get involved. if not, no worries - i'll post any updates here though.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
Ooh, sounds fun! I shall think junk up.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
Making a game is a blast.  It is a lot of work though.  I made a rudimentary Ikaruga-like game when I was in university and it was a lot of fun.