Author Topic: OWmeet Thread - An Annual Production by the OW Monkeys  (Read 89695 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
OWmeet Thread - An Annual Production by the OW Monkeys
« on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »
I figured we could pop this up here so we can plan the next one and people can make arrangements ahead of time.

So, I know the original plan was to have it at my place but that doesn't seem very possible now. We were going to add onto the house (or get a separate trailer house) that would help with housing people, but that didn't pan out yet. Plus travel stuff has made travel a little trickier for people.

So is everyone cool with Cali again? I might fly this year, but I'm undecided.

EDIT by Que - So people don't have to try to track down the post I put them in, I'm hijacking this opening post now.  I finally got the pictures uploaded from last year's (2008's) OWmeet.  I know, I'm a year late.  Leave me alone.  You can now view them here!

I also uploaded an extended gallery from what's been seen previously for OWmeet 2007, and you can check those out here.  They're good times, and certainly worth reliving so as to ease the depression of having OWmeet 2009 over and done.

EDIT x2 by Que - And now we have "edit" albums which remove the few vaguely offensive pictures and any swearing in the comments.  Just in case you want to show the pictures to an easily offended family member of a prior generation or some such.

OWmeet 2007 Edit -- OWmeet 2008 Edit

EDIT x3 by Que - OWmeet '09 pics are finally up.  I could make excuses, but it really just took so long because I'm a dipshit.  No "edit" version for them yet.  I can make one if there's demand.

EDIT x4
OW Meet 2010

OW Meet 2011
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 06, 2011, 08:28:18 PM by idolminds »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: OWmeet 09 Thread of Planningness
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
I'd be happy with CA again since my studentness makes traveling near impossible. Give me a couple days and I'll be able to let you all know when Spring Break is this year.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 01:48:53 PM »
As I'm sure you can imagine, it's cool with me!  I don't have the money to go anywhere even if I wanted to, at this point, so... yeah.  I can't be 100% sure about housing people, either, since I'm not 100% sure about housing myself.  I'm hopeful that will all get worked out before plans solidify, though.

Damn it, and that reminds me of how much I need to post the meet pictures from freaking 2008.  Arg.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 03:59:35 PM »
I'm taking donations for planet ticket / hotel money. PM me for my billing address.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »
I'm taking donations for planet ticket / hotel money. PM me for my billing address.

ibid  (Yeah, right .  .  .)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »
Per usual, I won't be attending.  I'm going on a cruise in April.  As you can imagine, I won't have spare money to buy a plane ticket to CA.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 12, 2009, 11:27:10 PM »
Fuck yes, I'll be there!  I just got my 2 weeks of vacation time renewed at the beginning of this month and money shouldn't be an issue, so barring anything crazy going down here, I'm down for another meet in Cali.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »
So, my holiday goes from March 23 to the 27th, with the weekends bookending (although I might want to travel one of the weekends down to So Cal to visit my family).

I'll need to get some Orks painted before then so we can have a three way fight. I should enlist Que.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »
Anyone live in Denver? Seems all the flights between me and CA stop over in Denver. One flight has a 4 hour layover, we could have a mini-meet...heh.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 07:37:05 PM »
I should have plenty of time, so once we get things firmed up I'll put in a request.  Looks like it'll be around my birthday again.  Maybe you guys can buy me the Doom boardgame expansion so we can all hate ourselves EVEN MORE!

... but seriously, you guys know I'm going to make us play again, right?  (maybe with those easing-the-difficulty-card adjustments we found online...)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 08:57:14 PM »
Also, Dungeoneer will be played. Hopefully lots (if its good).

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »
So, my holiday goes from March 23 to the 27th, with the weekends bookending (although I might want to travel one of the weekends down to So Cal to visit my family).

I'll need to get some Orks painted before then so we can have a three way fight. I should enlist Que.

So the first possible date you would want anyone to come would be the 23rd, or would it be the weekend before on the 21st or 22nd?  Either way is fine with me, I'll check the vacation calendar at work and see if time is available to request off for that week and let you guys know tomorrow probably.  I won't request it off until things are concrete, but the earlier we get this set, the better so the vacation time doesn't get filled up for those days.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »
Oh, both weekends before are totally fine. I'm just still rolling around the idea of going down to visit if I get the time. It seems like some years include them while others don't, so I'm just considering what to do if people haven't shown up during the first weekend or if they've all left by the last weekend.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 12:33:28 PM »
I just checked the time off calendar and as of right now there are plenty of hours in the pool for that week, but there is one request put in for a couple of days out of that week, so the sooner I can request it off the better to guarantee me getting it.  If I came it could be from March 22nd(Sunday)-March 27th since Saturday the 21st is filled up for requests.  If you decided not to go out of town I could even stay on the 28th and 29th as well since those days aren't filled up in the request pool.  I can always go ahead and request off the time now and cancel the days that I don't use if something comes up, if that sounds good to everyone.

Also, I'll be sure to bring Munchkin this year.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
I say pull all the days you can. If we can stretch things out a little, that'd be cool by me. How do you feel about the Que?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, January 15, 2009, 08:14:53 PM »
Well, I don't know exactly what's going on.  It looks like our moving plans have officially fallen through and we're officially stuck back here in shitty apartment land.  I don't guess that's going to change, so that's... uh, whatever that is.  I guess it means we can reliably house somebody.  As for time off... I'll check tomorrow and take whatever I can get, which I'm 99% sure will be the entire week.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
I have officially requested off the time that I need and its been approved.  If something comes up that prevents me from going I will let you guys know ASAP.  I might be moving in early March, but it shouldn't cause any problems for me going out there.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 02:00:43 PM »
Same here.  I got the week off and am all set.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 02:16:36 PM »
I'm checking tickets still. Looks like the train is the way to go again. Would arriving the evening of the 20th (Friday) be too early? I'm juggling dates here because the ticket prices vary by a lot. If I leave the 18th or 20th, (arrivals being evening 20th or 22nd) its only $116. But the 19th is $185.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 03:19:35 PM »
Depends on what time you'd arrive in the evening Friday, for me.  I dunno' about Sy.  But as long as it's after like... 4:45 in the evening, I should be able to do it.  Emeryville is actually on my way back home, so I'm usually around there at about a quarter to 5.  In fact, if you got there a little earlier and wanted to wait I could do it that way too... but that's the earliest I can be at the station.  Any time after that, of course, is fine... like if it's late evening or whatever.  Or 3 in the morning if they stall your train.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »
Its scheduled for 5pm to arrive, so that would work out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »
Awesome.  I say go for it, then.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »
Yeah. Fridays are generally going to be unscheduled days for me, so that means I'm open barring giant things which I assume won't exist then because that'll be the day before Spring Break. If anything, things will be due that day and I'll be busy on Thursday. So yeah, I can grab you that Friday as well.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, February 07, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »
Someone should sticky this thread.

Just an update and some questions, I'll probably be buying my ticket sometime this month shortly after the 13th.  We are getting new schedules at work on that day, which shouldn't affect things, but I'll have to change and swap some of those vacation days depending on what I get, which is hopefully my awesome old schedule I had when I came out there last year.  Also, Sy have you decided on that last weekend of the 28th and 29th on whether or not you'll be going out of town?  I mainly ask because of housing and what day/time I need to make my depature ticket for.  I'm also wondering how housing is going to work out this year.  Is it going to be like last year where I stay with Sy and Idol stays with Que, or something different?

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Monday, February 09, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
Oh dear.. my aunt's been bugging me to come visit her in CA.. My brother in law is there too.. but I don't think I'll make it in March or April..  There's a chance I'll be coming end of February though but i'd stay a few days only because of work and have to prepare to move *groans*.

That's too early to meet you guys :(
Taken.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #25 on: Monday, February 09, 2009, 07:08:04 PM »
You can still come and meet Que and I. While I shouldn't speak for Que, I assume he would be happy as I would to take you out for a meal.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Monday, February 09, 2009, 10:02:43 PM »
Surely, we should definitely go out if you're in town, Raisa.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Monday, February 09, 2009, 11:51:08 PM »
Hey I don't know who this might affect, but GDC in SF is on the same week as OWMeet. So if anyone is getting a hotel room you might want to think about reserving it early.

We should all volunteer and totally crash GDC.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 07:32:47 AM »
Hotel rooms shouldn't be a big deal.  We're not really close enough to SF for it to matter much.  That'd be awesome to go, though.  We should start a "development team" and go.

"Why yes, we're developing uh... Super Crazy Monkey Shooter for XBLA.  No, we don't have any screenshots."

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #29 on: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »
Megan and I booked our plane tickets. Flying into Oakland on March 21st (Saturday) and we'll be heading back on the next Saturday, March 28th. The flight into Oakland doesnt leave until the afternoon and gets in at about 9:20pm PST, its later than Id like but its the cheapest one that's a straight shot all the way there.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 02:10:13 AM »
Megan and I booked our plane tickets. Flying into Oakland on March 21st (Saturday) and we'll be heading back on the next Saturday, March 28th. The flight into Oakland doesnt leave until the afternoon and gets in at about 9:20pm PST, its later than Id like but its the cheapest one that's a straight shot all the way there.

Who are you flying with?  I've looked all over and I can't find jack shit for one way flights, the only one I can find is like 5 in the fucking morning and that shit isn't going to work.  To be fair I've only looked once on a few sites though.  Either way, I'm probably going to be coming in on the 22nd and leaving the 28th, unless its easier for me to leave the 29th so Sy and Que aren't having to haul you two, Idol, and me around airports/train stations on the same day.  I wouldn't mind staying the extra day either unless you guys need me gone by the 28th.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 02:38:56 AM »
If it's going to make traveling easier for you (and prevent us from waking up super early to get you to the airport a five), we can accommodate.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 03:22:49 AM »
If it's going to make traveling easier for you (and prevent us from waking up super early to get you to the airport a five), we can accommodate.

No, that time was the time for me departing from Austin, I can't remember the time I get to Oakland on that one, but I'm not going to do it, since I would probably get little to no sleep.  There were several decent flights that made only one stop like I did last year and they have more afternoon times, I'll do that if it comes to it since it will save me money too.  All I need to know is what day you guys would want me to leave and I'll buy the ticket accordingly.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #33 on: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 03:53:50 AM »
We went through Southwest. Its pretty simple if you go right to their homepage. Though Id recommend you book the flight soon, flights are cheaper the longer in advance you book them.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 04:22:11 AM »
The 29th is fine with me then. So long as I can go to class on Monday the 30th, things will be good.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 09:36:26 AM »
Yeah, it's all good with me too.  I've got until the 31st off (trying to give myself a couple days to recharge before work), so it's no big deal.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »
Alright, well I have bought my ticket through Southwest.  I'll be coming into Oakland on Sunday the 22nd at 2:30 PM and leaving on Sunday the 29th at 11:30 AM from Oakland as well.  Que and Sy, I will send you a PM with my flight numbers and stuff.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
Awesome. I'll make sure and stay away from dick jokes until you show up so that my yearly quota doesn't fill up too soon and my head explodes.

Offline firestorm225

• Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Friday, February 20, 2009, 03:17:23 PM »
So I guess I missed the last meetup, but I might consider this one, seeing as how I actually live in San Francisco :-[ Depending on what my schedule is like next month. I don't think I'd be able to accommodate housing (I live in a room in my parents house, being jobless after graduating sucks) but I'm obsessed with San Francisco (anyone remember my Full House photographs post on the Vestibule?) and can show people around here. It would be kinda awkward since I haven't posted here in forever and thus don't really remember anyone or people's personalities or what not, but I think I'd still be down.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #39 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 11:33:43 AM »
Who are you?