Author Topic: Question about returning/exchanging a router  (Read 963 times)

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Question about returning/exchanging a router
« on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 08:55:28 PM »
I needed a cheap wireless router I could reflash with DD-WRT, so I bought a WRT54G2 at Circuit City. This was a bad idea for a variety of reasons:
  • In spite of their store-wide 30% markdown, I still paid about 30% more than the MSRP.
  • Because Circuit City is going under, there are no returns or exchanges on their merchandise.
  • The router is defective.

So I'm thinking I can go to any other retailer who sells routers, buy a WRT54G2 there, and use my new receipt to return my old router. (It turns out I need two additional routers and not just one, so it doesn't matter if I end up with two at the end. However, I'd prefer having a router with USB, so if I can do a return instead of an exchange, so much the better.)

My question is, does anyone know which Western-US-based retailer I should graft?

Edit: I'm posting this in General Discussion and not Help because this isn't exactly a tech support problem.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Question about returning/exchanging a router
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 12:45:11 AM »
Best Buy seems like a good choice.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 01:25:46 AM »
Best Buy is also pretty expensive, and the nearest one is a fair drive for me.

I almost never buy retail, so I've never actually had to return an item to a physical store. Do you know Best Buy's return policy? Have you had experience there? (Can I buy a router there, then come in twenty minutes later and exchange it for a different product without having to pay a restocking fee on a defective item?)

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 11:57:52 AM »
Wal-Mart probably has one of the most lax return policies out of all the retailers and they don't charge restocking fees.  When I worked there in electronics people brought back shit all the time that was obviously not from our store, but since the person returning would raise enough hell the managers would always cave and let them do the return.  Whether or not they give you money on a Wal Mart gift card or cash though is a crap shoot.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »
Yeah go to Wal-Mart. They take anything. Even little kids. As long as they aren't fat.