Author Topic: I need to go back to school...  (Read 832 times)

Offline PyroMenace

I need to go back to school...
« on: Friday, February 06, 2009, 06:56:43 AM »
I think I had my fun with attempting to support myself with very little income, and the job I have maybe low stress, but good god the people I work with do grate on my sanity. Take the evening shift for example, full of the horniest dudes on the planet with a psychotic melodramatic 20 year old thrown right in the middle of it all, you got a drama fest that no one will shutup about. But I'll just leave that at that. I was just wondering about advice at where I should go about this...

My brother has recommended me to take student loans which have the lowest interest rates which is the option Im leading towards. There's financial aid, but I have to be a full time student and I really dont want to go back to that. I want to go part time but can I do that with loans?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: I need to go back to school...
« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 06, 2009, 07:28:09 AM »
I THINK the way it was when I went to tech was the amount of aid you got depended upon whether or not you were a full time student.  TBR schools now don't do a blanket fee for full time.  They either have started or will start charging per hour like graduate students.  That means someone taking 18 hours will pay more than someone taking 15.  You might want to look toward other avenues of funding, like pell grants and such, before you settle on student loans.

At the very least you can fill out the FAFSA and find out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, February 06, 2009, 07:49:31 AM »
With the way the country is going (expect it to only get worse after Obama blows another trillion dollars we don't have on special interest groups), I'd say your best bet is looking into anything that minimizes how much you'll be in debt first, then go from there until you find something that meets your needs and circumstances.  Don't rush into it, just do some research and see what the requirements for different things are.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 06, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »
Try being a part time student at a community college for a bit of time while working. It will give you an idea of what you're in for, community college classes are cheap, and since you work nights currently you can go to a couple normal classes instead of just the night ones. You'll have to give up a lot in terms of free time, but it's a good place to start because it really won't put any hurt on you financially while you test the waters. After a semester (a year would probably be better), if you think you're headed in a direction that you like go see the financial aid counselors and get more of an idea what you're in for. That's all the better if you go in having an idea of what you'd like to study and have some decent grades to back it up.

For me, financial aid is based on how much money I'm basically worth. Since I make almost no money and have almost no assets, the government more or less pays for half my school and student loans pay for the rest. It helps that Aimee helps out with a lot of the living expenses as well, but I could make due with the loans provided.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 06, 2009, 12:35:39 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 06, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »
Yeah, there is a Nashville State campus in Cookeville, although I'm not sure what they offer there.  Might want to check that out Road Dog