Author Topic: Condemned 2: Bloodshot  (Read 3892 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
« on: Thursday, May 10, 2007, 02:10:32 PM »
And, Que must love this news.

Condemned 2 announced for PS3 and 360.

Meanwhile, MyD hopes for a PC port...

Condemned Sequel Officially Announced
Heading to the PS3 and 360; no official release date.
By Dan Dormer, 05/10/2007

After an extremely confounding ending, many players were left scratching their heads once the credits began rolling for Condemned: Criminal Origins. And even though the game was released for both the 360 and PC, little had been said about a sequel for the game. However, Sega revealed today that the story would continue on in Condemned 2: Bloodshot.

Ethan Thomas remains the title character, although he's more scruffy than the last time we saw him. He's returned to duty with the Serial Crimes Unit to track down his former partner. A standard plot device, but given the bizarre twist and turns the first game took -- cults, aliens (?) -- the story shouldn't be "standard" for long.

Additions to the game include offensive and defensive combo chains, as well as various grapple and hold techniques. This is on top of the guns, pipes, and other assorted weapons that Ethan can wield with deadly precision. There will also be online multiplayer modes, with a deatmatch that'll "deliver the most brutal hand-to-hand combat experience the first person genre has ever seen."

The game will be released in early 2008.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 20, 2008, 02:51:07 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Condemned 2: Bloodshot announced for 2008
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 10, 2007, 07:19:26 PM »
Fuck yes!  I loved the game.  It was far from the most brilliant thing I've ever played, but for a horror shooter, I was very pleased.  Best melee combat ever, and some really great moments that a ton of people missed out on.  I'm definitely going to play through it again, I just think I'll end up doing it on the 360 now that I have one.  So yeah, I'm looking incredibly forward to this.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 12, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »
That sounds cool. I played the demo for the PC and it chugged a bit because of the heavy lighting effects, but I thought it was awesome. I'm going to look into picking it up on the 360 now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 12, 2007, 04:14:26 PM »
Definitely do that.  It's really a pretty simple game, but I personally never got tired of smashing crazy serial killer guys in the face with blunt objects.  And I still say the last boss fight was just wicked.  It wasn't that mechanically amazing, but it had some just gruesomely awesome moments.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 13, 2007, 06:28:46 PM »
I never even heard of Condemned until recently and then I grabbed the demo on XBL.  Not only am I buying the first one, but now I'll be buying the second one when it's released.  One of the scarier games I've played in a long time.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »
As if Condemned wasn't dark enuff in its tone, looks like Condemned 2 will be even darker -- namely, he's more nihilistic this time around, after everything he went through w/ the original Condemned and w/ the way Condemened 2 shapes up, with his partner gone missing...

Condemned 2: Bloodshot First Look
Ethan Thomas has an interesting system of beliefs. We take a look at them in our first glimpse of Condemned 2: Bloodshot.
By Matthew Rorie, GameSpot
Posted May 10, 2007 12:19 pm PT

At a recent Sega press event, Monolith Productions showed off a rough trailer of the game for the assembled press. What struck us most about it was the change in tone; while the original game featured a confused and disoriented Ethan, he seems downright nihilistic in the sequel, not unlike the protagonist of a noir detective story, especially in his reference to work being hard when you're trying to do it from the inside of a bottle. The writing seems to have taken a turn for the hard-boiled, with a couple of voice-over lines in particular sticking in our memories. Only a man who's having a really good time would say stuff like, "Life is funny. Not funny like a joke, but funny like a kick in the balls." Even better is the tagline: "I only believe in two things. Both of them are fists. And both of them are mine."

The new tone of Condemned 2: Bloodshot seems to be promising, and although we haven't seen much of the gameplay yet (including a new multiplayer mode, which Sega announced), we'll be sure to have more details on the game in the coming months.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 07:59:22 PM »
Hooray for even more fucked-up-ed-ness!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 01:49:40 PM »
Hooray for even more fucked-up-ed-ness!
I figured you'd like that news!
I know I liked that news that it'd be darker!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 04:24:31 PM »
Monolith's Constantine Hantzopoulos has been working w/ the ESRB on Condemned: Bloodshot, for one reason -- to try and avoid the Adults Only Rating.

Already, some content has been taken out from Condemned: Bloodshot -- such as some decapitations and one scene where a head is put in a vice and...well, you could guess what'll happen then...

Condemned 2 toned down
Tuesday 24-Jul-2007 3:27 PM Article: Dev "working closely" with ESRB after Manhunt ban
15 Comments

The ESRB's decision to give Manhunt 2 an Adults Only rating in the US seems to have already sent shockwaves throughout the industry about what it can and can't get away with. Condemned: Bloodshot senior producer, Constantine Hantzopoulos, tells CVG that a few features have already been pulled from the game in light of the ESRB / Manhunt situation.

During E3 we met up with Hantzopoulos for a look at Condemned: Bloodshot. For us the original was a prize pick of the 360 launch line-up and we're looking forward to the second one. But we were keen to know if the Manhunt ban made him think twice about how far the brutal aspect of Condemned's gameplay could be pushed. Would the ban make him (and other developers) think twice about what he could get away with?

"Absolutely it did," he told CVG. "And one of the things I want to make clear is that this does not take place in the real world. This is a fictional universe. That said we're pretty cognisant of the ESRB and the Manhunt thing."

Hantzopoulos has been on the wrong end of the ESRB in the past. "I worked on Fahrenheit (known as Indigo Prophecy in the States) and had to cut the sex scenes out of the game for the US. Yes, I was the guy that did that. It sucked because I don't believe in that, right. But you've got to do what you've got to do. We're working closely with the ESRB to make sure everything goes through okay but there's stuff we've cut already. There were things we were doing that even I couldn't believe we were going to those places."

When asked for examples of what we might now never see in a game again, we were told, "An example of what we cut would be putting someone's head in a vice. That was too much, you know. There are also some decapitations we've lost. But this is more Sin City than it is real world and we want people to know that this is not a real world.

"Manhunt kind of takes place in a real world where you're killing prisoners and people. This is a sensitive subject and we'll pull back if we need to. If someone says we can't that, we'll pull back a little. We're actually in pretty good shape. Putting someone in a dumpster is comical, it's funny. But putting someone through a TV set..."

Look out for CVG's full interview and Condemned 2 impressions later this week.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Condemned 2: Bloodshot -- Update: Lith and ESRB working together to avoid "A
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 04:31:21 PM »
Boo.  Head in a vice sounds awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Condemned 2: Bloodshot -- Update: Lith and ESRB working together to avoid "A
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, July 26, 2007, 08:57:23 PM »
Boo.  Head in a vice sounds awesome.

Exactly my thoughts.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 07:55:22 PM »

I wish this was coming in time for Halloween.  Except that I don't, because there are way, way, way too many games coming out that I want right now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 08:01:14 PM »
The sooner it's out Que, the better -- only as long as the game ain't in a buggy state, of course. You know why? B/c it'll eventually get cheaper even sooner. :P

So, you can finish whatever games you plan to buy til you're broke for the time being and once you finish all of those -- Condemned 2 will be cheaper and you won't be so broke, so you can buy that! :P

That or you can buy Condemned 2 and whatever other games you want 'til you're broke; finish Condemned 2 and whatever you plan to buy at full price; then let the others you wanna get go ahead and get cheaper so you can then get those! :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 08:07:22 PM »
I don't operate the way you do.  And I doubt this will go down in price quickly.  It took forever for the first to go down on 360 (and the PC version was a lot cheaper right at release since it came so much later).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Condemned 2: Bloodshot
« Reply #16 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 12:04:09 AM »
It's for the 360 and PS3 versions.  I picked up the PS3 version today, though I won't have time to play it until OWmeet 2008 is over and I've finished my replay of the first game.  Do watch the video review if you get the chance... it's utterly hilarious.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »
It's for the 360 and PS3 versions.  I picked up the PS3 version today, though I won't have time to play it until OWmeet 2008 is over and I've finished my replay of the first game.  Do watch the video review if you get the chance... it's utterly hilarious.

That Condemned 2 video review from VanOrd was an absolute classic. :) He really nailed the horror theme and everything -- and I'm not even a fan of his past reviews/work....

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #18 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »
Yea this is like number one priority game right now I want to buy. But Im so poor its not even funny, plus my 360 is not with me right now anyway. The video review looked really fucking cool. Looks much more sadistic and crazy than the first. Sweetness.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, March 22, 2008, 05:00:14 AM »
I really liked the PC version of Condemned a lot -- the best hand-to-hand/melee combat I've ever experience in a first person game, bar-none.

I do hope we eventually see a PC port of Condemned 2, in due time. I'd be so all over that.

I tell you, when it comes to horror-based action games, Monolith really knows how to make them better than pretty much 90% of the other game companies around.

EDIT, 3-23-2008:
8.0 from IGN for X360 version of Condemned 2
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 23, 2008, 05:54:12 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »
Heh, I haven't even played the game, but my guess is he's totally spot on.  Even without playing the game that's pretty much what I was getting from it.  The difference is, in my neck of the woods we like our horror supernatural.  I can do without Dragonball Z bullshit (which disappoints me to hear about), but I don't mind crazy supernatural crap, cults, whatever.  As long as it has horrific monsters, blood gushing everywhere, and lots of sadistic <whatever>, that's cool.  Indigo Prophecy was something completely different.  That was a game that centered entirely around plot, built up a great foundation, got you totally hooked, and then literally threw in random supernatural shit that didn't even make sense in terms of the plot it had built, threw in totally shitty, stinky, just-plain-stupid sci-fi elements that added nothing to any aspect of the game, plot or otherwise, and a stupid, nonsensical, braindead "love story" that flew out of a monkey's butt and featured nudity and a creepy sex scene that so did not need to be there.

My guess is that Condemned 2 doesn't come anywhere near the clusterfuck that was Indigo Prophecy (I actually played the Euro version due to the censorship issues... I wish I hadn't), and I suspect that Yahtzee's issues with Condemned 2, while probably valid, are at least somewhat more based on taste.

He's right about one thing, though: never reveal the mystery.  Ever.  And if you do, make it so bloody convoluted nobody can figure out what the hell you're talking about anyway (see: Silent Hill).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 08:10:14 PM »
Heh, I haven't even played the game, but my guess is he's totally spot on.  Even without playing the game that's pretty much what I was getting from it.  The difference is, in my neck of the woods we like our horror supernatural.
I like my horror, either way -- realistic or supernatural. I think to me, that all really depends on the story itself, the direction the story is moving in, etc etc.

I can do without Dragonball Z bullshit (which disappoints me to hear about), but I don't mind crazy supernatural crap, cults, whatever.  As long as it has horrific monsters, blood gushing everywhere, and lots of sadistic <whatever>, that's cool.
The DragonBall Z thing sounds....odd...

Condemned 1 didn't really aim for monsters nor cults; your enemies were pretty much all human. 

Indigo Prophecy was something completely different.  That was a game that centered entirely around plot, built up a great foundation, got you totally hooked, and then literally threw in random supernatural shit that didn't even make sense in terms of the plot it had built, threw in totally shitty, stinky, just-plain-stupid sci-fi elements that added nothing to any aspect of the game, plot or otherwise, and a stupid, nonsensical, braindead "love story" that flew out of a monkey's butt and featured nudity and a creepy sex scene that so did not need to be there.
And let's not forget how somehow a good first half of an adventure game suddenly turned into in the last half an interactive cut-scene button-matching hell, too.

My guess is that Condemned 2 doesn't come anywhere near the clusterfuck that was Indigo Prophecy (I actually played the Euro version due to the censorship issues... I wish I hadn't), and I suspect that Yahtzee's issues with Condemned 2, while probably valid, are at least somewhat more based on taste.
On the gameplay part, I'll probably agree w/ you that Condemned 2 probably isn't the mess Indigo turned out to be -- namely b/c the shooting elements when they were in Condemned 1 were actually good, so I doubt they screwed those controls up in Condemned 2. We can't really say the same for Indigo, b/c it screws the gameplay up with way too many interactive cut-scenes in the last half of the game and not as many adventure elements as the first half of the game.

From what I've heard and read, I guess it sounds like in Condemned 2, we will do more shooting than we did in Condemned 1; I'm not sure if that'll be a good or bad thing, since Condemned 1 had such awesome melee combat...If there's a PC port, I'll just have to wait and see....

He's right about one thing, though: never reveal the mystery.  Ever.
For horror, yes -- that does work, in most cases. It's the fear of the unknown that usually scares the life out of us. Once we know, then the scariness is usually pretty much gone.

Revealing mysteries in horror should probably really only be done when you're trying to make the story the centerpiece. In other words, that's basically when all the horror elements are completely done with and you're trying to wrap up the entire story for good.

I don't think that's why there's very many good horror movie sequels usually, either -- b/c they reveal so much by the end of the first story, that when there's a sequel, you're not scared of the same character in the sequel. Often, you know what makes them tick, by now. Also, since the scare tactics from the first one won't work anymore, what you're really looking for in the sequel is more storytelling and backstory; which'll make it more of a drama and less of a horror movie.

And if you do, make it so bloody convoluted nobody can figure out what the hell you're talking about anyway (see: Silent Hill).
Yeah, you gotta' love Silent Hill, hehe. :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Friday, March 20, 2009, 06:50:44 AM »
So I finished this the other night.  Really good game, on the whole.  My big beef with it is what many have mentioned: toward the end, the focus on gunplay is a disappointment.  It isn't horrendous or anything, the shooter elements just aren't as fun as beating people over the head, so it gets really old having to shoot people.  But for several of the game's missions, you really have no other choice.

I didn't like the plot and setting as much as the first game, and I found it odd and disconcerting that they changed certain things that didn't need changing (like the chick; she was a 40-something looking woman in the first game, in the 2nd she looks 25).  Atmosphere wasn't quite as potent, but I suspect they were trying to keep the environments more interesting.  So I can understand, but the overriding sense of dereliction just wasn't as heavy.  And there seemed to be something wrong with the sound.  I had to turn on subtitles because I could almost never hear anyone talking properly.  They were too quiet, and messing with sound settings didn't seem to fix it.  That was kind of frustrating.

Anyway, on the whole the game part of the game was much better this time around.  The forensic bits were tons of fun, though I wish there had been more, and the combat definitely improved.  Graphics were a nice step up.  The whole package was generally more robust, and the game is definitely worth playing if you like the first.  I did like how totally incomprehensible the first game's plot was, so the fact that more is explained in the sequel gives it a bit less mystery, but it's still a fun enough plot.

So yeah, pick it up if you've got interest.  Quite fun.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Friday, March 20, 2009, 10:57:04 AM »
Someone tell The Lith to port this themselves or get this one ported to the PC.
I don't care if it requires Steam or what-have-you -- just get it over here, dammit.