Author Topic: GoG.com gets Apogee stuff.  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
GoG.com gets Apogee stuff.
« on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »
Including Duke3D, Duke: Manhattan Project, ROTT (that's Rise of the Triad for any of you unwashed heathens who don't know), and the two Blake Stone games.  The nostalgia just might kill me.  Check it out.  Only Duke3D is available at this very moment, but the others should be up soon.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: GoG.com gets Apogee stuff.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 08:36:08 AM »
This is what I'm talking about.

I want wolfenstein to be on there.

Offline wizall

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 12:09:01 PM »
Oh my god, that there is a fine list.  Nostalgia, no joke.  I'm waiting for my acne to come roaring back.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »
Our great grand-kids will be dead before DNF gets released on GOG.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »
You just have to sneak that joke into any thread, don't you? If you don't have a DNF joke on your headstone, after you die, I'll be really upset.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 04:30:27 PM »
Okay, all jokes aside....

Duke 3D: Atomic getting put on GOG is just awesome news. I still have Duke 3D + Plutonium Pak in its original CD Case. :)

That's pretty cool that Rise of The Triad is getting put on GOG, as well. :)

Now, we need to get Blood and Blood 2 get put on GOG.
And someone talk Monolith into making a Blood 3 (if they still own the rights to Blood IP).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »
Wow I'm so all over Duke3D.  I don't care if John Carmack thought the engine was held together with rubber bands.  That game was friggin' awesome!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »
Quake and Duke 3D were the good old days of FPS's, man.
Both kicked ass.

Though, Quake 1's ending sucked.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 06:34:28 PM »
I think I'll actually buy and play through Duke3D again at some point, because I lost the disc I had.  Actually, I don't rightly remember what happened.  I think I had the original disc and the Plutonium Pack, but loaned the first out and never got it back.  That, or that one was my friend's and I bought the expansion so we could play everything (we shared games a lot back then).  I think that's probably what it was.  So now I just have the expansion, which obviously does me no good at all.

And Rise of the Triad is just fucking awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »
I think I'll actually buy and play through Duke3D again at some point, because I lost the disc I had.  Actually, I don't rightly remember what happened.  I think I had the original disc and the Plutonium Pack, but loaned the first out and never got it back.  That, or that one was my friend's and I bought the expansion so we could play everything (we shared games a lot back then).  I think that's probably what it was.  So now I just have the expansion, which obviously does me no good at all.
Since I still got the original copies of the Duke 3D and Plutonium on disc -- I'm wondering if it's easy or a pain to get those going on Win XP or Vista. Any clue? I should look into this. Duke 3D freakin' rocks.

Hmmmm...Were there any source ports made to run Duke 3D in Win XP or Vista?

And Rise of the Triad is just fucking awesome.
Sweet.

I wonder if Shadow Warrior will every join GOG....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 08:37:58 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me to see that one pop up.

And yeah, I believe there was a Duke3D source project at some point.  I remember the PSP homebrew version being based off that build.  I forget the name, though.  I never tried it (though I did try the PSP port, which was surprisingly functional for how limited it had to be).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Friday, February 27, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
EDuke32

Fuck yes, this is what I am wanting if I wanted to play Duke3D again, mouse look!

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Friday, February 27, 2009, 03:31:31 PM »
Rise of the Triad was the first shooter I ever played. Definitely want to get this again for nostalgia alone.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Friday, February 27, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »
Oh, hell yeah -- I got Duke 3D: Atomic running fine under EDuke32. Frickin' awesome.
Hail to the King, baby!

EDIT #1:
Hey, does anyone know how to take screenshots within EDuke32?

EDIT #2:
Basically, if you have DN3D on disc (Version 1.3) + Plutonium Pak on disc (Version 1.4) OR the DN3D: Atomic Edition on DISC (V1.4)...

You will need to install DN3D. Then, download PPatch15.exe and put it in your Duke Nukem directory on your hard drive and run that WITH ALSO whatever newest CD version of the game you have in your disc drive that you own, to get Duke updated to the final version (1.5).

EDIT #3 -- Dec 13, 2012:
GOG -> Mod Spotlight for Duke Nukem 3D.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 04:21:55 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 02:15:17 PM »
Shacknews -> Some modder got the legal go-ahead to work on porting Duke Nukem 3D over to FREE Version of Unreal Engine 3.
He got a "personal non-commercial use" license, BTW.
He is calling it this version: Duke Nukem: Next-Gen.
It'll be out...when it's done.
There's a preview video in the attached link.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, October 14, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
Haha damn my ISP! I was about to post this but you beat me!

Here's the PCG article on DN:NG.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 04:04:50 PM »
Shadow Warrior: Complete Edition joins GOG at $5.99.
Comes with Shadow Warrior + its 2 expansions (Wanton Destruction and Twin Dragon).

« Last Edit: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 04:32:19 PM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »
Hmmm. I already own Shadow Warrior on CD, but might have to grab this for the expansions.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, September 29, 2019, 07:20:57 PM »
Bobby Prince (composer) is suing Gearbox & Valve over his music being used in Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour [re-release on Steam]:
https://www.vg247.com/2019/09/30/duke-nukem-3d-composer-suing-gearbox/

Notes:
- Bobby Prince did the music for DN3D, back in the day.
- Bobby Prince was paid $1 royalty from each DN3D copy sold, back in the day with Apogee.
- Bobby did not grant permission for his music to be used in the re-release.
- Bobby says that he was not compensated for the usage of 16 of his songs in this DN3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour Re-Release.
- Bobby sent a take-down notice to Valve and they did nothing, so he's suing them too.
- Interesting enough, XBOX and PlayStation aren't mentioned in this, only Steam.
- Bobby is giving Valve and Gearbox 21 days to respond.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, April 04, 2020, 09:22:29 PM »
So, I took a trip on the Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour [Steam version].

So much has already been said about how classic the original Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition and its episodes were, way back in the day and over the years. And if you haven't played the old episodes (Episodes 1-4) - well, you should. It was a blast back in the day - and still remains a classic like early & classic Unreal, Quake, Blood and Doom games.

So, we'll talk about the new episode, which is only right now in this package. This episode (Episode 5: Alien World Order) is not in Atomic Edition or Megaton Edition, in which this new 5th episode would & could be the real attraction of this version of the game to namely owners of Atomic Edition or Megaton Edition.

Just finished-up Episode 5 (Alien World Order, which was designed by DN3D original developers Richard "Levelord" Gray and Allen Blum III). Took me a little over 4.5 hours, according to Steam. Some thoughts here.

Holy crap, is this episode action-packed. And it's a blast. It's quite good, feeling basically like a new expansion pack or DLC here for Duke Nukem 3D. This is probably the kind of episode, action, and content that people really wanted out of DNF, to be honest.

The level design is really good through-out. There are plenty of interesting levels and varied locations here, in the usual old-school labyrinth level-design of finding all kinds of nooks, crannies, secret areas/room, and whatnot. You'll travel around the world, to levels based in England, Hollywood, Russia, and even France - slaying aliens like only Duke can. There are also lots of huge open-space shootouts & arena-sized shootouts with many of the past enemy types in DN3D and the new enemy, leading to leading to a feeling of being involved in confrontations, action & shoot-outs of epic proportions.

There is a new alien enemy type, new weapon type (Incinerator, which is a flame-thrower), and 8 new levels here in this episode.

Jon St. John is back, delivering more wise-crackin' and referential lines to things from pop culture, as you'd pretty much expect with a Duke Nukem game. Don't expect a grand story, deep narrative, or any of that, as Duke was never about that. This is a Duke Nukem game...and he's here to wise-crack; make jokes; be lewd; be crude; be crass; and shoot & kick alien ass. And if you're fine with that, you're going to really enjoy Episode 5.

There's another new feature here: you can rewind time and to whatever point you were at before, when you die. You can go back as far as the level began, pretty much! So, sure - you can still quick-save whenever you want; that's still here. But now, when you die, you can also rewind to any point in this game from before your death...and pick-up right wherever you want and for that ideal spot/moment; and to keep you always in the constant onslaught and action. No need to always save and rewind, as you can now rewind - like other older games that have had remasters/re-releases have done (i.e. Flashback). But, great to have both options at your disposal, for whatever reason you might need them for.

While I wasn't super-thrilled w/ the final boss (could've been more than just an enemy re-skin, the new weapon it has, and whatnot) and the ending (not-so-special endings seem par for the course w/ basically old-school Quake and Duke games anyways) - I still had a blast w/ the new episode and easily got my $1.59 worth (being a Humble Bundle Choice subscriber) from the Humble Bundle sale just from this episode/DLC/expansion.

If for some reason you don't own Atomic or Megaton, 20th Anniversary World Tour is a must-buy for classic old-school FPS action from the awesome first 4 Episodes and you also get the new & really good 5th Episode. If you own Atomic or Megaton, you'll really only need the new episode 5 - and that would probably be best catching this re-release on sale just to get the really good new 5th Episode. And with it on sale now (4/4/2020) at such a cheap price on Humble ($1.99 for non-subscribers of the HBC or $1.59 for HBC subscribers, for a Steam key) - now's as good as a time as any, if you're trying to just catch that 5th Episode.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, April 04, 2020, 10:21:16 PM »
Interesting, I wasnt aware they made a new episode. Its really cool when old games get new content like that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, April 05, 2020, 06:32:15 AM »
This is probably worth a mention too, for fans of the EDuke32 Source Port...who want to run any DN3D game files & levels w/out running Steam itself and/or just running it with this particular Source Port.

The newest version of EDuke32 does work w/ the newest Episode 5 from 20th Anniversary World Tour re-release. Just toss EDuke32 into the 20th Anniversary folder & replace any files when asked...and you're good to go.

Just tested this myself.