Author Topic: Syberia 3  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Syberia 3
« on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »
PS3 And PC Players Will Have To Collaborate To Finish Syberia 3!
Microïds, the owner of the Syberia franchise, announced the production of a new episode in the adventures of Kate Walker on the PlayStation 3 and PC.

Syberia 3, the new episode in the adventures of Kate Walker, actually allows those playing on PC and those playing on PS3 to collaborate online, thanks to a simultaneous data exchange and sharing mode on the two platforms. Syberia 3 will therefore see teams of players being formed so as to optimize their chances of reaching the end of the adventure by pooling the abilities of each of the participants. Only PS3 players who have collaborated with PC players, and vice versa, will be able to accompany Kate to the end of the adventure.

"This innovative gameplay is a first in video gaming, and in particular within the point & click adventure segment," reads the official press release. "Microïds' ambition is to enable all players, irrespective of their gaming platform, to be able to participate collectively in the adventure so as to live the experience of collaborative gaming. This innovation will be offered for all future Microïds titles and will also be included in games currently being developed at partner studios."

After having traveled throughout Europe in Syberia and Syberia 2, Kate Walker starts out on the mammoths' trail in a world on the border between reality and imagination, where strange white birds indicate the presence of extinct mammals...

Syberia 3 takes Kate on an adventure which mixes suspense, myth, ecology and action. She crosses paths with a weird Vic McPherson who is investigating the murky business of international trafficking of ancient works of art and prehistoric ivory...

Syberia 3 will be entirely in real time 3D and will be released on PS3 and PC in June 2010.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Syberia 3
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 05:55:56 PM »
Hell, I have both Syberias.
I never even finished Syberia 1.

EDIT:
Microids posted their press release on April 1st.
Was this an April Fool's Joke?

EDIT #2:
I wouldn't be surprised if there would be a Syberia 3 -- minus the requirement of PC and PS3 players must play with each other to finish the game.

I mean, Still Life and Syberia are their Flagship IP's.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 06:59:36 PM »
I liked both Syberias, but I loved the 2nd a little more. I really liked that it was a direct continuation without skipping a beat.

It could be an April Fool's joke but the hope of a Syberia 3 carries me away :D

Still Life and Syberia were fantastic. Unfortunately Sokal's Lost Paradise kinda sucked.

EDIT: Don't know why I called it "Lost" Paradise. :P

It was so-so at first but it falls apart pretty early.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 07:01:48 PM »
I liked both Syberias, but I loved the 2nd a little more. I really liked that it was a direct continuation without skipping a beat.
Syberia 1 and 2 was supposed to actually originally be ONE GAME. But, b/c of development costs, Sokal cut it in half.

It could be an April Fool's joke but the hope of a Syberia 3 carries me away :D
We beed nore adventures -- and who better than Microids to carry the torch?

Microids has a pretty good track record -- Syberia series, Post Mortem, and Still Life.

Unfortunately Sokal's Lost Paradise kinda sucked.
I have Paradise. Never installed it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 07:07:14 PM »
I'd really love to play Sinking Island and Nikopol.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 07:24:03 PM »
I'd really love to play Sinking Island and Nikopol.

Just watched the Nikopol trailer.
That actually looks pretty cool and bizarre.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 03, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »
Damn, you totally reminded me about these.  I'd completely forgotten about them.  I have both and have yet to play through them.  In fact, I'm not sure where they are.  I got them really cheap an age and a half ago.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 05, 2009, 06:18:37 PM »
Damn, you totally reminded me about these.  I'd completely forgotten about them.  I have both and have yet to play through them.  In fact, I'm not sure where they are.  I got them really cheap an age and a half ago.
Hope you find it.

If you can't find it at home...
I've seen stores like Office Max might have The Syberia Collection on their "cheap games rack" in a jewel case for like $10.

Of course, that was probably sometime back in say Sept '08, numerous months ago...
Who knows if they still carry it and/or even if your local one carries it...
Might be worth a shot, if you got a nearby Office Max...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 13, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
I never played Syberia 2 but the original was pretty interesting.  Unfortunately I found it to be a huge timesink and never came back to it after awhile.

I need to buy those games and try playing them again.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 17, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
Microids reveals Syberia 3 is NO JOKE.
Syberia 3 for the PC is officially announced.

About a PS3 version, that's in limbo, since Sony keeps rejecting Microids from bringing their games to any Sony systems. They want to bring it to the PS3, so if you want it on the PS3, let your voice be heard and e-mail Microids.

Syberia 3 PC No Joke

[Apr 17, 2009, 10:57 am ET] - Share - Viewing Comments
Microïds follows up on their Syberia 3 April Fools Joke with word that while the whole PC/PS3 forced co-op thing is a gag, they are indeed working on a next installment in the adventure game series for the PC (thanks Joystiq). All joking aside, they are also hoping to make a PS3 release, but based on history, are not completely confident that Sony is going to share these hopes:

Paris, April 17, 2009 - Following the countless messages and questions from fans which followed our announcement on April 1st regarding the launch of Syberia 3, Emmanuel Olivier, President of Microïds, gives more details on that announcement.

“Syberia 3 is not an April Fool's joke. The game is highly expected by the community of fans of adventure games and fans of Kate Walker and it will be launched, it is one of our most strategic projects at Microïds and we have been anticipating it for a long time.

It will be released on PC for sure, however, on PS3, this could actually turn into an April Fool’s joke because SONY is the only decision-maker on this point, as strange as it may seem to some people.

Benoît Sokal, the author of Syberia and Syberia 2, has mentioned several times in the press that he would only participate in a sequel to his masterpiece if he had enough financial means to design and develop an exceptional title. Today Microïds is ready to invest in this ambitious production. But everyone knows that to amortize the development costs of a major video game with that level of quality, it is essential to develop it for multiple platforms, PC and consoles. However Sony Computer Entertainment has already censured Microïds in 2003 by denying that Syberia was released on PS2 in the United States though it had previously been released in Europe on that console. The same refusal happened for a dozen other Microïds titles for the U.S.

Beyond this censorship of the authors and their producers who believe in their creations and who take the financial risks when building up productions for the console without knowing whether they will be approved or denied by SONY in the last minute, the exorbitant royalties demanded by SONY to manufacture the games on its consoles seriously hamper the financing ability of independent producers. Microïds has paid more than 15 million Euros of royalties to SONY for its entire catalog, which represents 55% of the Microïds turnover for this platform. April Fools? Well no! It is unfortunately the “rule of the game” imposed by SONY.

The revenue shortfalls due to the PS2 games we were not able to sell in the United States, a highly significant territory, coupled with the excessive royalties paid to SONY for the European territories, have so far prevented Microïds from having the ability to reinvest in an ambitious sequel to the Syberia series.

So today we launch an SOS to all fans of the Syberia series: let us rally to support the independent creation and convince Sony to change its rules. Send all your messages of support to: supporToSyberia3PS3@microids.com

SYBERIA 3 on PS3, an April Fool’s? It’s up to SONY!”

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »
Man, never expected to see that. But cool! I still haven't played the first two. Heh.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 05:01:56 PM »
@Que
I never finished the original Syberia, nevermind the sequel - even though I own them both, hehe.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 09:24:03 PM »
I recently grabbed the first 2 in a GOG sale. I've been meaning to play through them.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 08:05:24 AM »
Both games are great but I remember enjoying the second one more.

I'm excited but at the same time I'm being cautious because of what happened with the Broken Sword games. So I'm cautiously optimistic about Syberia 3.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Friday, May 27, 2016, 12:57:34 PM »
Sweet, both Syberia and Syberia 2 on Android are on sale (Google Play Store).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Friday, May 27, 2016, 03:12:18 PM »
I recently grabbed the first 2 in a GOG sale. I've been meaning to play through them.

If you can ever get them out of your backlog, I'd certainly love to hear your thoughts on them. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, April 30, 2017, 09:28:28 AM »
RockPaperShotgun - John Walker doing a vicious + harsh "Wot I Think" article (his opinion) on Syberia 3.
Ouch. Though I can certainly understand his disdain. I was stung by Benoit Sokal's Paradise, which was where his games spiraled downwards for me.

Sinking Island was so-so. Nothing compared to Amerzone and Syberia (I & II).