Author Topic: Sy's Mini Painting Journal  (Read 102775 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Sy's Mini Painting Journal
« on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 08:28:09 PM »
Awesome. I get the first real post on the art boards. Hooray me!

So yeah, I'm just going to be continuing my little photo journal/gallery of my Warhammer army. I'm starting to really hammer down the color scheme for the army now and I think that'll be done when I finish this next batch of guys.

For now though, I'm still stuck on how I want to paint the guns on them. For the uninitiated, Tyranids make use of living guns that are grafted onto their bodies. They spit out everything from acid to little bugs that like to burrow into whatever they hit. Fun stuff. My problem is I'd like to differentiate the guns a little so they stand out in the way I've got the claws standing out (white on a dark color scheme) since guys with the guns generally have smaller, less impressive, claws. This way the main weapons will stick out in a crowd and look all cool. So far my experiments with making the guns the same colors as the claws have pretty much looked hideous. Probably because they're easier to blend to white, they fit the scheme more nicely. The guns have generally just stood out too much.

Tonight I worked up to something that looks alright and I want an opinion. I made two examples, one with a very white gun and one that takes things in another direction. I was planning on just painting the gun the same exact way as the rest of the main body should the white gun plan failed, but then I thought about just making it a little lighter so I get a little of both effects. I think it works really, but I'm still figuring out if it's cool enough to abandon the white gun idea completely. I'm just looking to see if the general colors work right now. The guns are pretty much in their finished states, but the rest of the body is not. One guy is more detailed than the other and the other has only the flat base colors right now.

So, I've gone on long enough. Here's the picture.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 02:50:34 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Hive Fleet Lucanus
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 08:46:32 PM »
Those are awesome!  In terms of gun color I like the one on the right more.

Offline ender

« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 09:50:29 PM »
This is not art. You're disqualified.

Just kidding. I really dig the paint job, very clean and precise.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 10:00:17 PM »
Looking at them from here, neither of them look bad.  Honestly, they both kinda' work.  I like the look of the white gun better, but the rightmost one looks a bit more natural.  You could maybe just highlight that one with some white to make it stand out a bit more but not change the look too much?  I dunno'.  Either way, I think they both look pretty good.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 10:40:22 PM »
That's not an entirely bad idea... so, I tried it. I think this could work. It looks less natural (how does black shine that far into white over that much surface?), but it looks cool. For some reason I couldn't get the lights to work as well as the last picture, but you can get the idea.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 02:50:59 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 12:31:35 PM »
I definitely dig the darker gun colors over the white one. The white one doesnt look like its a part of the arm to much, like its a seperate gun on its own. The rest of the body looks superb!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 07:23:30 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to go with the darker gun. I like it better and it fits more with the fluff (story and background info of the game). The guns are supposed to be part of their host organisms, not merely grafted on but as much a part of the creature as an arm or leg.

Anywho, I focused on something else today... it was moments like when this guy came together that remind me why I want this army. The gaunt next to him is there just for size comparison.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 05:07:54 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 07:32:31 PM »
Stop making me want to paint, damn you.  I feel like I barely have time to breathe these days and it's driving me up a fucking wall.  I want to play lately, but I feel like I have so much to do all the time.  When did this happen?  A month ago it felt like there was nothing to do.  Ugh.

I worked some more on my novel today.  Hot damn it could be a neat universe if I pull it off.  I'm already envisioning games based on it.   ;D  But the time, the time!  It gets sucked away like cheese in a can!

Mmm.  Cheese in a can.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 10:49:25 PM »
And you all thought I forgot about these guys. I've figuring out what to do next with the Warriors for a few months (and busy), but I finally did some work today. These guys needed to show what the rules call "enhanced senses." That's more or less what it sounds like. He's developed better sensory organs that allow him to aim his gun better and I couldn't come up with a way to properly show it on the figure. Some models came with different bits that allow you to make show it easily like this Carnifex head.

With the warriors, you're left almost entirely to your own devices. I've read a lot of posts on Warhammer boards and no one out there seems to really have a good answer, which is surprising considering how a lot of those people put out awesome work. I was thinking I'd try to model some sort of bettle horn to fit with my beetle name more, but I ran into a snag; I couldn't pull it off. I did a couple of test that just looked horrible or stupid. None of them were even worth saving for reference so I abandoned the idea. Beetle horns aren't even sensory organs, so it wasn't a huge loss.

While working on something else and I realized I had an extra set of eyes. Almost all the Tyranid sprues have extra Rippers on them and I had one sitting in a box.

It was perfect. The heads were nearly the same size and with some work I could graft it onto the warrior's head and do something in the vein of the multi-eyed Carnifex head. After some plastic cutting (a cut thumb) and a little modeling putty work things turned out decently well. This is more or less my first conversion work and I think I did alright. It's hard to see, but armor plates on top actually blend in together, it's just the putty and plastic are different colors. Once I paint everything up it should look like the top eyes are looking out of openings in the plating. Now I just need to do two more of these guys and I can start painting my next Nid squad.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 02:51:26 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 10:55:51 PM »
Awesome!  I have to see this in more detail shortly, you understand.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 10:58:39 PM »
sweetness! can't wait to see him painted.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 11:04:26 PM »
That's a cool add on and will probably look pretty cool once it's all painted up.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Random Projects Journal
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 11:18:31 PM »
This is another Warhammer model, but it belongs to the Battlefleet Gothic line (space combat branch of the universe). It's essentially the biggest capital ship for Chaos. I bought the ship years ago on a whim and managed to put it together and prime it, but never got around to painting it.

As it stands now, that's probably a good thing. It was well above my skill level in terms of modeling and it looked pretty crappy. All the parts are metal, so pieces rarely fit together perfectly and you really need to do extra work to make the bonds between parts strong enough to withstand nearly any stress. Over the years it's moved with me between apartments and taken a beating inside it's little storage baggy. Several parts broke off or bent. When I was unpacking last month, I found it and decided to give it another go.

I started by breaking what was still together apart, which really wasn't all that hard since I built it with super glue. While super glue is generally pretty good, one bit of stress will snap it. I scrapped off all the bits of remaining glue and proceeded to rebuild the guy. This time around I bent things more into their proper shape, used resin to glue everything, pinned nearly every joint, and filled nearly every gaps between the parts with putty. So, the build is much stronger and things look a lot nicer.

Painting should actually be pretty easy. I'm going with the one on the box, which is basically a black hull with red and gold details. Once I get it primed it should go pretty quickly.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 02:52:14 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Rebirth of an old project - Chaos Planet Killer
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 01, 2007, 11:31:19 PM »
It's a cool model, I really want to see what you do with the paint job.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Craftworld Jainofell
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 02, 2007, 12:11:59 AM »
Guess I was busier today than I thought.

I'm well into the planning and testing stages for the Eldar stuff I got for Christmas and have come up with a lot of stuff for them.

The thing with Eldar that's been fun in terms of planning is my army has to have something of a culture behind with. With Nids I more or less just needed a color scheme, but there's little behind the colors other than an intense hunger for all things organic. Originally I was going to go with a set Craftworld and just adhere to existing fluff in the universe, but that didn't last too long once I saw how many people out there were using with the one Craftworld I really liked.

So, I started planning again. I knew I wanted to put the army on snow bases because it seemed cool, so I built off of that and looked into a winter-themed army. In terms of colors, I'm going with light blues with dark purple and white details. I still believe Eldar should have some flash in their uniforms, so the purple covers that while the while and blues cover the winter stuff. For the cultural stuff, the Craftworld they come from is one that's completely delusional about the state of the universe. The Eldar are a dying race, but the people of my Craftworld refuse to believe it and view the times as something of a winter that will eventually pass into spring. To them, their Craftworld is a place for shelter from hard times and its name, Amure-Jain, means “the Waning Storm” in the spirit that better times will come again (supposedly, I found some websites that had several translations of Eldar words from various sources. I put together some stuff and it sounded cool enough). As such, they are something of shut-ins and don't venture out as often as a few of the other more active Craftworlds. To Amure-Jain, things will sort of fix and they rarely see a need to take a more active role in the affairs of the universe. There are a few other bits, but this is getting long enough.

For now, I have mockup for the color scheme and samples of what the bases look like. I'm particularly happy with the bases. This is the first time I've worked with snow flock and it looks sweet. The pictures can't show it, but in reality it even has something of a crystalline look to it when you look at it at different angles. I'm also planning on using a variation of a symbol that I use a lot for myself as the Craftworld's logo. Scott once said it looks like the Christmas tree from Charlie Brown and that's kind of the idea. I just liked the shape when I made it up years ago, but here it'll represent a deciduous tree that has dropped its leaves for the winter and will come back in full bloom when spring rolls around.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 05:09:45 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Craftworld Amure-Jain
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, January 02, 2007, 01:10:47 AM »
Man, you *are* busy.  I wish I didn't feel so fucked up so I could get that much work done.  I did a bit of background stuff for my book last night, but I'm just feeling way too shitty to even try it today.  And that's awesome with the snow flock... I still want to try the rainwater idea I had for my girls, but... arg.  Time investment and lots of experimentation involved in that one.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 03, 2007, 04:27:57 PM »
those bases are fucking sweet. i haven't tried snow flock before, but after seeing the results, i'm quite tempted. i think the colour scheme you've chosen looks very eldrich and will also complement the arctic tundra type bases that you've chosen nicely. now lets see some test models!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 04:46:13 AM »
Well, if I have a former Eldar player's approval I'm more confident with the scheme. I might try to get some Guardians built tomorrow and working on a sample color scheme if time permits, but right now I've got Nid plans... see the other thread.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, January 04, 2007, 04:56:48 AM »
Just a quick post, but my gods I'm all excited with the work I did tonight and had to share with a quick shot. There's a wee bit of gap filling left to do and I need to texture the ground, but they're nearly ready for spraying and painting.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 05:10:28 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, January 06, 2007, 12:32:52 AM »
All done.

Edit: Loaded up a better picture.
Edit: I don't know if the colors are actually better on the new one... so take your pick.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 05:11:13 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, January 06, 2007, 02:16:01 AM »
Hell yes, that is all kinds of awesome!  You've been a busy person these last few days.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, January 06, 2007, 10:29:47 AM »
He's *always* busy.  The guy is like a speed freak or something.  I think we need an intervention.  Or not... because his own personal sacrifice means we get to see neat stuff every couple of days.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Random Projects Journal
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 02:55:04 AM »
I've gone ahead and renamed this thread because I've got a couple random projects going and it'll just be easier on everyone to just keep them all in one place. Just a bit of a note: you don't have to respond to everything I put up. If I ever get my way, I'm going to be making a lot of stuff and I just like to post it all. It's cool to have a single place to show it all off and I just like to share. I don't want it to seem like I'm constantly searching for approval... if you get what I'm saying.

So, for tonight I've got the beginnings of the coolest Ork ever. Yes, he's standing on a pile of skulls. Yes, he's got a bit sticking out of his mouth that's going to become a cigar. I wonder if I could pull off a tattoo of a flaming skull or something when I paint him.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 05:11:30 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 03:08:41 AM »
Awesome.  You did the cigar.  How'd you do the skulls?  Did you actually sculpt all that?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 02:01:43 PM »
Oh gods no. I picked up the Hero Basing Kit yesterday because the parts seemed fun.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »
Oh joy. This is a moment I will treasure. I look forward to seeing it come alive when painted, it should be a good lesson for me to see you paint an ork.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, January 16, 2007, 12:57:53 AM »
You saw what Que did this weekend, so here's my work

I did the little Goblin guy on the left and Julia did Dwarf. Nice job for her first guy ever. Better than my first guy, that's for sure.

Both of the characters came free with an issue of the Warhammer monthly magazine as a promotion for their new Fantasy started set and I've been really excited about giving the Goblin a go because he's just so fun looking. I haven't sealed him or finished the base, but painting is all done. For the most part I used him to try out a lot of highlighting stuff I'm been going over after looking a lot of other minis (Beo's work included) and I love how he turned out.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 05:12:26 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 11:18:57 AM »
I really have to get off my ass.  I was looking at a bunch of regular Warhammer stuff for Julia... I think she may well really like the dwarves.  It seems to me that they're a good fit for her, and that she'd really like looking at them once finished with them.  Again, I've no idea whether or not she'd ever want to play, but I can see her enjoying having those on display.  And if she did some, it would justify us getting a display case or more permanent setup of some kind to store and show off our figures.  I may have to talk to her about this some more.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 03:03:53 PM »
Well shoot. You know I'd be all for it. I'd love to help you get going (birthday's coming you say?) and all that sort. Plus, I've really considered looking into a fun little Night Goblin army after seeing how my little guy turned out last week. It's not like I want more of an excuse.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 10:15:25 PM »
I was considering going out and getting some brushes for her tomorrow, possibly a little pack of dwarves.  Would you be interested in coming along?  I wanted to show her some of the factions tonight just to make sure she'd actually want to do that.  I know she's more interested in helping you do more of that pack you got, and she even said she thinks it would be fun to do a board and work on landscape and stuff.  But I'd like to have something here for her to work on just if she felt like it, or if I wanted to paint and she wanted to join in.

Anyway... I talked to her again and she still seems interested.  She did stipulate, however, that she doesn't want to do it around Aimee again.  I think she felt really bad that she was so distracted last time and felt like she was kinda' leaving Aimee out and stuff.  She still wants to see more of her and stuff and keeps mentioning to me that she feels bad about being so absorbed in painting last time.  So I think she just wants to do it when you and I do it or whatever, but not as much when we get together as a group.

But yeah, I think I'm gonna' go out tomorrow and look for stuff.  And try to resist the temptation to get some fantasy WH stuff.  I was looking through figures a lot today and saw some stuff I really dug the look of...

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, January 20, 2007, 11:56:11 PM »
Of course I'd be interested in coming along, but I also have no clue what I'm actually doing tomorrow. I was sorta thinking I'd go get a couple new shirts or something and do laundry... maybe I'll go to bed earlier and do those in the morning. We can divy up the stuff in the box set if you want and maybe give Julia a little lesson in cleaning up models or something if you don't want to spend more money right now.

Don't worry about Aimee too much. I think she enjoyed being able to go through Lost a little again and I think it's good for her to learn to just hang out a little more. Odds are she would have just spent the night reading random little bits online or something.

I'll give you a yell tonight or tomorrow though.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, January 27, 2007, 02:21:40 PM »
They should really just stop letting me into the game store. I have enough to work one.

You can guess the new guy. The other's are there just for size comparison.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 05:13:19 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, January 27, 2007, 04:53:51 PM »
Dear god in heaven we need to get you another hobby.  Like... just to take away some of our obsession with this one before you go completely broke.

... but that guy looks awesome.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, January 27, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
i'm drunk off my face, but just for shits, is that a zoanthroape, or am i completely wrong?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, January 28, 2007, 04:45:19 AM »
Why would I want another hobby when things just keep getting cooler looking?

Take, tonight's work, for example. Well, the one the right is the new one. He still needs the the varnish coats and the base isn't done, but you get the idea. The other two guys are the first two Tyranid's I painted up to sorta figure out how I wanted to my color scheme to look (ignoring the white test) and things are definitely on the right track. I wanted to do one more test and a standard for reference before I get going on the other elements in the swarm. This time I focused on doing more with the black body so that it was deeper like those Gaunts or Genestealers I did a few months back, but now the highlights were less random.

And yes Beo, you're right. That's a Zoanthroape. For everyone else, that means he's a big floating brain of scariness.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 05:14:39 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Friday, February 02, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Beo might have some painting skills, but I've got something else.

Special Effects! I've been playing with this acrylic gel for a few months now and worked up the nerve to try it out on some of my guys last night. I'm not overly fond of the whole slimy alien thing, so my justification is that I'm modeling something more akin to a domodo dragon with beetle-like armor plate.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 05:15:24 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: Friday, February 02, 2007, 11:04:15 PM »
ooh, nice! haven't seen that stuff before.

anyway, stop stalling and get some of those big things painted! i need some motivation to get my landspeeder squadron finished.

hmmm... just an idea, but would you possibly be up for setting a painting challenge between us and whoever else wants in? such as, "get X number of Y sized models finished in Z time". sometimes it's hard to get an army finished and having a few friends to motivate really does help.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, February 03, 2007, 12:03:31 AM »
Haha, holy shit I would lose so fast.  If you guys do it, just make sure to wait until Feburary is over so I can join in.  I'll be busy with music all this month.

But yeah, that stuff looks awesome.  Way to go, man, you really figured out how to make it look right.  Those both look great!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, February 03, 2007, 01:08:45 AM »
That'd be a fun idea. Those little contest seemed to have gotten Que off his ass on a lot of stuff. To be fair we should probably do it in March so Que can finish his current music one. If we manage to get people to California this year it'd be a cool goal to get some stuff together so we might be able to play a game or two during the visit.

It's also worth noting that Games Workshop is also doing a promotion similiar to the idea. Maybe we can build off of it... not that I actually need to buy new stuff. It could help one of us though (Pyro with his Orks?). Unfortunately, I think it's a US special only right now, Beo.
http://us.games-workshop.com/calltoarms/

Oh yeah, I primed that Zoanthrope today, Beo. Now that I'm done with all sorts of test I'm planning on jumping onto those Warriors this weekend.... no idea how long that'll actually take me though since they'll probably be the biggest single project I have taken on. After them, the Zoan, the rippers, or maybe some straight out Hormagaunts.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, February 03, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
That seems like a lot of shit to buy for a small discount, but I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you were already planning on spending the money anyway I guess.

But yeah, I haven't had a chance to do any painting at all.  I really, really wanted to and stuff just kept coming up.  I think I need a marathon thing to make it possible to even work on the stuff.  Without a permanent painting space it just takes a while to set up and everything so it seems I never get around to it.  Bah.