Author Topic: guess which club i just joined?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
guess which club i just joined?
« on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
this one:

in fact i've joined it twice. lent the 360 i got back from the cops to a friend recently and it rrod'd within a couple of weeks - now it's happened to my elite too. i'm currently toasting my old system in a couple of blankets to see if i can resuscitate it long enough to hold out for my elite to be repaired. i just bought halo wars today too, damn it.

at last pyro, i feel your pain.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: guess which club i just joined?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 11:14:54 AM »
I think it's fair to say by now that the failure rate of at at least the earlier designs is close to 100%, within a few years of normal use.  Quite a mess.  Sorry to hear that it happened to you, again.  (I didn't know about the other one.)  You should still have the warranty on the Elite at least.  Mine runs out near the end of the year, so I hope if it's going to fail, it does it soon.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 11:20:42 AM »
still got the warranty on both. wish i'd sorted out my first system sooner though - being unemployed with no games system and no tv is going to be a killer.

well the towel trick worked for one boot on the older system, then back to the red ring. hopefully my attempt with the elite will be more successful.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 11:37:13 AM »
I'd send in at least the Elite for repair, ASAP.  Yeah, that would suck for me too if my Xbox suddenly died again.  It only took a couple of weeks after I shipped it to get it back, though.  Getting the coffin only took like 3 days.  I hope it doesn't take much longer for you where you live.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »
well i've applied for returns on both systems, and given that the towel trick seems to have worked on the elite, i'll probably send that in second.

edit - scratch that. the elite lasted all of one minute. fuck.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 12:23:14 PM »
Thats what you get for buying a Halo game. :P

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 01:03:28 PM »
Thats what you get for buying a Halo game. :P

MS really screwed peopel on this one. Not just early adopters, but anyone who didn't wait a few years. Mine is still fine so far after about 6 months, but who knows. Hopefully it's new enough that it doesn't have the same defects.

And I've got all 3 Halo games (fuck Wars), and my 360 isn't dead. :P

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »
i'm really enjoying halo wars, actually! not the deepest rts ever, but it's highly focussed and a lot of fun. and yes, another go with the towel trick and some incantations to the dark gods have brought the elite temporarily back to life again...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
The Halo Wars demo was alright, I could probably get into it more than most other RTS (which I'm not into at all). It just didn't seem worth $60.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 04:13:35 PM »
yeah, i thought the demo was pretty impressive, but not worth full price (very few games are). it recently dropped from £49.99 to £19.99 though, so i thought i'd give it a shot.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »
MS really screwed peopel on this one. Not just early adopters, but anyone who didn't wait a few years. Mine is still fine so far after about 6 months, but who knows. Hopefully it's new enough that it doesn't have the same defects.
I've actually been hearing that some jaspers have been failing too.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
I'm still shocked that my near-original hasn't failed.  It seems like a virtual impossibility, but I guess I got lucky.  Though I still haven't had great luck with the system on the whole, and have had problems with several games.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 10:21:47 PM »
I picked up my Xbox 360 the day the PS3 was released -- Nov 11, 2006.  The first one was a dud and was dead out of the box.  Got it replaced in store and the second one is still going.  It has some oddities though.  It might freeze sometimes, and I've had an E74 error occur once.  The Power green LED has also blinked non stop a couple of times as well.  But it still works.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 10:26:22 PM »
Mine remains A-OK, thank the gods! But mine is a falcon.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Monday, May 18, 2009, 10:37:05 PM »
I picked up my Xbox 360 the day the PS3 was released -- Nov 11, 2006.  The first one was a dud and was dead out of the box.  Got it replaced in store and the second one is still going.  It has some oddities though.  It might freeze sometimes, and I've had an E74 error occur once.  The Power green LED has also blinked non stop a couple of times as well.  But it still works.

E74 is now covered by the RRoD warranty.  I think it's basically the same error (general hardware failure), and I've read that you're more likely to get it reported that way since NXE.  (NXE does not cause it.)