Author Topic: Synecdoche, New York  (Read 1932 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Synecdoche, New York
« on: Sunday, July 05, 2009, 09:18:47 AM »
Anyone seen this Charlie Kaufman film?

Holy crap, the whole warehouse within a warehouse, characters playing characters, lives within lives, etc etc -- it's sometimes a headache to actually try to follow this. A lot to think about here. So much content is really packed into each frame, yeah -- I think it's worth watching the extras on the DVD (such as the 40 min bloggers' round table discussing the detail and stuff of the film). Probably worth re-watching, too -- if I ever get around to re-watching it before returning the DVD rental.

Regardless, I really dug the film. It was very funny, often very touching and poignant. A lot of it seemed very funny, yet also quite depressing -- since a lot of it deals w/ life, death, relationships, art imitating life, and life imitating art.

Yeah, if you liked Mulholland Drive and some of Charlie Kaufman's past work, go wrap your head around this film...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Synecdoche, New York
« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 06, 2009, 12:53:09 PM »
I started watching it then quickly realized I'd hate it if I wasn't in the right mood for that sort of a movie. I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Another deterrent is that I'm just not a fan of Philip Seymour Hoffman.