Author Topic: Heavy Rain  (Read 20090 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Friday, December 18, 2009, 04:11:22 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Heavy Rain delayed until 2010 due to "overcrowded Christmas"
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »
Heavy Rain DLC announced.
Pre-Order HR, it'll be yours for FREE when the game launches.

Heavy Rain DLC Confirmed And Detailed
First episode will be available free at launch for those who pre-order.
By Kat Bailey, 12/18/2009

After much speculation, Sony has confirmed and detailed Heavy Rain's DLC. Titled the Heavy Rain Chronicles, the first episode will be available free upon the game's release for anyone who puts in a pre-order.

Heavy Rain: Chronicle One - The Taxidermist will feature investigative journalist Madison Paige in her hunt for a serial killer. It will be an update to the original "Taxidermist" demo.

The rest of Heavy Rain's cast will be featured in later episodes, with each one taking place either before or after the original game. Each episode will be available for $4.99.

For those who opt not to pre-order the game, the first two episodes will be available through the PlayStation Store at a later date. The exact dates are still to be announced.

Heavy Rain will be out in February.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Heavy Rain
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 02:30:44 AM »
This game is definitely looking very interesting with a fairly unique concept, but I'm still unsure if it's a first day purchase for me.  I'm really hating this DLC shit as well.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 02:43:18 AM »
I'm definitely going to wait.  Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit was a great concept that started strong and turned into an unbelievably shitty game and story halfway through.  I don't trust these guys to carry it through based on that.  However, the strength of the first half of that game does leave me wanting to know if they'll eventually figure it out and get it right.  Because if they do, they could have something.

But yeah... boo DLC.  I'll wait for a GOTY edition (if it turns out to be that good, heh) or some repack with everything in it, or wait for it all to get cheap, or I just won't get it at all.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 03:33:41 AM »
I have a feeling this will be PS3's black horse.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 07:03:07 AM »
Even though I don't have a PS3, I agree 100% with Que on Indigo/Fahrenheit and what he said about Heavy Rain.

I hope they learned from the last 1/2 of Indigo. Indigo was something special in the first 1/2 - until the last 1/2 of the game completely fell about and turned into interactive action sequences that Res Evil 4 is loaded with and the story got pretty cliche and ridiculous.

I hope Heavy Rain gets a PC port, but who knows if that'll ever happen.

About Day One DLC and or tons of DLC plans - it might be time to just wait for GOTY Editions of games and whatnot. I'm getting tired of all these Day One DLC plans and having so much small DLC packs released in short periods of time. I miss the old expansion pack days.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 10:09:23 PM »
Oh man, don't even get me started on Fahrenheit. Fuck, that game took a hard turn south real fast.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 10:29:35 PM »
I played, finished, and enjoyed the entirety of Fahrenheit.  I do agree that the first half was about 1000x better than the last half though.

I haven't thought about this game in a long time, and I'm remembering now how amazed I was at the "movie" aspect of it... "cinematography" might be a good word?  I still remember that part in the cemetery where you are walking and it shows several different points of view of you walking at the same time.  It was a pretty powerful effect for that scene.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »
I enjoyed the gameplay throughout.  The last half of the story killed it for me though. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »
Yeah, that stuff was done well, even if primitively.  For the time, it was really compelling and pretty special.  I really couldn't get beyond the stupid story, though.  The last half of that game was just beyond horrid.  Julia was watching as I played it, and by the end of it we were sort of deliriously giggling by how stupid it had gotten.  But it was disappointing because of the promising start.  The setup was good, the execution was good for a while, and even if some of it was a little goofy, it kept you wanting to see more.  But what started off as a supernatural murder mystery eventually turned into a bad sci-fi fantasy that bore no resemblance to the other material.  And when I say bad, I mean really, really, really bad.  I can say that was one of the worst games I have ever played with confidence, despite really enjoying the first half.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »
OK twice I've installed that game on PC, and twice I've been unable to get past the first bathroom scene because of crippling control bugs. It was weird and upon hours wasted each time I just did a rageuninstall.

So what exactly happens halfway through that turned so many of you off? You can use spoiler tags.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
Pug, Que pretty much puts the nail in the coffin, a few posts up - without tossing spoilers.

But what started off as a supernatural murder mystery eventually turned into a bad sci-fi fantasy that bore no resemblance to the other material.  And when I say bad, I mean really, really, really bad.  I can say that was one of the worst games I have ever played with confidence, despite really enjoying the first half.

I pretty much also said how the game suddenly shifts from adventure game in 1/2 to last 1/2 being an action-based quicktime event game. There's like one or two of these, early on in first 1/2 of the game - which is okay. But later on, there's a shitload of them.

EDIT:
With tossing some spoilers on Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 11:52:26 PM »
But it gets even worse than that.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 12:00:01 AM »
But it gets even worse than that.

(click to show/hide)

Right.

More ridiculous-ness coming.
(click to show/hide)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #14 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 02:42:52 AM »
Trailer

I have to say I'm getting kind of excited about this game.  It's starting to look really interesting and suspenseful.

That said, it does appear to start a little slow.  I saw a video containing the first 9 minutes of gameplay and it was filled with mundane tasks of you waking up and brushing your teeth and stuff like that.

However, here's another video of some more gameplay footage and it looks pretty good.

From the looks of it the characters and story should be quite good.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #15 on: Friday, February 05, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »
I preordered it yesterday.

In addition, the demo is due out for the general public on Feb. 11.

If you want to try the demo first though, a week before it gets released, go here.

Submit the correct four pieces of evidence (registration required), and you will get a code to redeem for the demo to play right now.  Solution to the puzzle here.

Edit:  I believe you need a UK account to get this to work.  I'm not sure if US accounts work or not.  My Canadian PSN account does not work. 

Edit 2: Got it working with a UK PSN account.  Downloading now... it's 1.7GB.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 05, 2010, 08:44:24 PM by iPPi »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Friday, February 05, 2010, 08:54:45 PM »
I preordered it yesterday.

In addition, the demo is due out for the general public on Feb. 11.

If you want to try the demo first though, a week before it gets released, go here.

Submit the correct four pieces of evidence (registration required), and you will get a code to redeem for the demo to play right now.  Solution to the puzzle here.

Edit:  I believe you need a UK account to get this to work.  I'm not sure if US accounts work or not.  My Canadian PSN account does not work. 

Edit 2: Got it working with a UK PSN account.  Downloading now... it's 1.7GB.

I just tried it with my account here in the US and it doesn't work.  I could make a UK PSN account like you did though but I think I can wait until the 11th.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #17 on: Friday, February 05, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »
I've played through the demo and I'm absolutely sold.  It's a very different kind of game, which is to be expected.  It plays out in a very cinematic fashion.  It's almost like an interactive movie.

Controls take a bit to get used to though.  There are plenty of quicktime events and you'll be pressing buttons in certain sequences, repeatedly pressing the same button, shaking the controller, etc.  Failure to do so will either cause you to have to redo the sequence or it could result in your character taking a hit. 

You press R2 to walk and use the left analog to control the direction of movement.  All the other buttons and the right analog are used to perform context sensitive actions, when they show up on screen as an object that can be interacted with.

Dialogue offers branching paths, and it can drastically affect the outcome.  In the demo, you play as the private detective and the FBI agent -- each in their own scene.  You're digging for info from one of the victims as the PI and depending on your actions, different outcomes occur.  For now, the general outcome appears to be the same, but I believe it may have an impact further into the game.  In the FBI agent scene, you get to use this evidence finder glove/glasses. 

Overall, I'm impressed with the game.  The story is very interesting, and the gameplay is quite different from what we're used to nowadays. 

The only thing I am worried about in this game is length.  So far, we've only seen a handful of scenes.  I hope the story is interesting enough and the game turns out to be lengthy or to offer enough different dramatic outcomes to warrant multiple playthroughs.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 12:03:02 AM »
Just hope that no amazing AI entities from the planet Boobabaloo show up at the end to fight you with Dragonball Z like in their previous fucking game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, February 06, 2010, 04:07:55 AM »
Haha.  That blew my fucking mind.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
IGN gives it a 9.0

The main complaint of the game is that it starts off a little slow, but once the story picks up it doesn't let go. 

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »
Gamepro gives it 5 out 5 stars. It looks like the story isn't such a mess after all.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 06:07:55 PM »
My god this game is out already? Jeeze I have so many shrink wrapped titles waiting already. :(

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »
It's coming out on February 23... so it's still about two weeks away.  I can't wait for it.  I have to time things properly though.  Mass Effect 2 should be coming this week and I need to finish it up as soon as possible before Heavy Rain arrives.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 07:35:19 PM »
God damn it.  I was really hoping I wasn't going to want this game, but it looks fucking amazing.  It looks like they basically took the potential of Fahrenheit, expanded it and modernized it for the current generation, and built a great story around it that isn't actually stupid like Fahrenheit's turned out to be.

Damn it.  It really looks good.  I'm gonna' have to get it now.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »
I'm a little hesitant. But I want to check it out, so I'll probably end up buying it.

I'm just worried that it will be like Shenmue, which I wasn't a fan of.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 09:48:34 PM »
Shenmue was a mediocre title.

But how does this look like that? They seem to be very different games.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 10:31:02 PM »
The demo should be out for the general public now.  It's Feb 11.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 12:02:47 AM »
Shenmue was a mediocre title.

What the fuck did you just say?!  WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUUUST SAY?

It wasn't goddamn mediocre, it was shit. (think that was going to go another way?)

I liked the "game". Thing is that there was only about 2 hours of game wrapped inside of 18 hours of fucking chores.  Like, the fetch quests were the good part.  MOVE FUCKING BOXES? I have a job, when I play a game I don't want to have another one unless it is waaaay fucking better than my current one.  Quarterback?  Sure.  Spy? Hells yes. COUNCIL SPECTRE? FUCK YEAH! Box mover? Are you fucking kidding me?

The second one was no better.  All it was was chores. Look, there was something cool there in Shenmue, but there was a ton of shit as well.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #29 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 12:36:07 AM »
hahaha...

My friend Phil (who posted at AOG for a bit as shadowswhisper) had been getting hyped for it before release, and sorta getting me hyped to see it. This was still a time when consoles and PCs were extremely different, so I was Mr.Negative even before it arrived for his dreamcast, but I tried to observe with a clear mind. I wanted to like it.

I think I watched him play for a few hours before realizing how bad it was.

You can't just make a giant pile of shit, and call it an accomplishment. It almost seemed as if the goal of the developers was scale and not quality.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #30 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »
God, I think the bigger crime that was committed than the actual game being made was that we actually played through all that bullshit. I look back on that now and it honestly feels like those dev's were fucking laughing at us.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #31 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 12:42:04 AM »
The sad thing was that it was such a waste of money. You can tell they put all of that money into the engine, but if they had scaled that back and put some money into developing more variation in the art assets, and more interesting content, that game could have lived up to its potential.

I guess you can't blame Japanese for being obsessed with wanting something insanely big for once...

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #32 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »
I noticed that the demo that's released on US PSN is only 1.3 GB.  I'm wondering what's different about the two demos since the one released earlier if you completed the challenge was 1.7GB.

Edit:  Never mind.  I believe the size difference is attributed with language options available in the EU version that is not available in the US version.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
i loved shenmue! however, i agree that the game was... short. at the time it felt pretty epic. shenmue 2 was amazing though. i really need to set up an emulator so i can play it again without all the god awful loading times.

as for heavy rain, it's one of the few ps3 exclusives i'm upset that i wont get to play. it looks involving, if nothing else.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 07:17:19 PM »
I played the demo today. It was pretty cool. Interesting anyway.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #35 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 10:38:44 PM »
Gametrailers gives it 8.9

Citing an amazing storyline (9.6 for story), but sometimes you are asked to do mundane tasks, it's still an amazing game altogether that blends a game and a movie together.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 08:02:34 AM »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #37 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »
That is not really surprising since the game already has a lot of motion support already using the sixaxis.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #38 on: Friday, February 19, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
Heavy Rain Pre order DLC delayed 1 week for North America

Not a big deal since my copy of the game probably won't arrive until the first week of March anyway.

Edit: Gamespot gives it 8.5
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 01:34:03 AM by iPPi »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #39 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 02:52:03 AM »
Let us know how you like the game iPPi, I'm very interested on how this is. I share Scary's concern, I don't want to be another victim of a Shenmue like experience.