Author Topic: Heavy Rain  (Read 20125 times)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Heavy Rain
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
I got my code to the pre order DLC today.  Will try it tonight.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 06:06:11 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 10:51:03 PM »
What is the DLC about?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010, 11:20:39 PM »
I didn't get a chance to download it yet.  It wasn't available when I logged onto PSN today.  It is available now but I'll wait until tomorrow to get it and play it.

The Taxidermist Chronicles (the DLC) are a prelude to the events of Heavy Rain.  The first episode (preorder bonus, or $4.99 at a later date) is about Madison.  I believe she was already on the case of the Origami Killer and was already investigating or something.  I'll let you know.  I haven't really read any reviews yet or anything like that aside from looking at the length of it.  It's apparently three scenes in length and can get around an hour or more depending on if you're interested in seeing different outcomes.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #84 on: Friday, March 05, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »
Alright I've played through the DLC.  First -- it's short.  Very short.  There are 3 scenes, but they all take place in the same area so they're all linked together.  It's about Madison Paige investigating the Taxidermist, who they suspect is the Origami Killer but turns out he's not -- he's just a different serial killer.

There are 5 endings to this DLC.  I've gone through and gotten two of them.  I might go back and see if I can get the other 3.  When it ends, it tells you which endings you've completed and gives you a chance to load from one of the three scenes to try and get a different ending.

I'd say it's about 20 minutes of play time the first time through.  If you want to get all the endings, you might be able to pull 1 hour to 1.5 hours from it.

I'm not sure if it's worth $4.99 when it gets released to the general public, but as it was free for me as a preorder bonus, I can't complain.  It's probably worth a look if you really, really liked Heavy Rain and want to know and experience more with the characters.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »
David Cage will NOT make Heavy Rain 2.
David Cage has stated that he doesn't intend to make Heavy Rain 2, even though he could potentially score a huge amount of money from a sequel. This is because of something called, "David Cage the brand." He wishes to sell himself, rather than his products.

"David Cage the brand, as you call it, is about not having to make sequels," he said. "It's about creating a brand that is the name of the creator, not Heavy Rain 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 12. Let me be stupid for one second; I'm not in this business to make money. I wrote Heavy Rain because I was excited about it, because there was something to say. Yeah I could make Heavy Rain 2, but I've said what I've had to say about it.

"I don't know what to say. I guess I don't have a long-term strategy for my career. It's certainly not to make as much money as possible though. I see myself as an author, really. I just trust my instinct. I think fans of what I do want me to do that too."

Why does a man who cannot write a good story consider himself an author? Probably for the same reasons he's always pretending a film director, I guess. Anyway, there will be no Heavy Rain sequel, but you can look forward to the next "David Cage Presents An Interactive Movie By David Cage" very soon!

Cage thinks USA has a problem w/ his games b/c the games he makes "don't include a gun."
David Cage, the self-styled "auteur of videogames", has stated that the United States has a "problem" with his work because American marketing departments don't understand him. He believes that his unique direction causes confusion among publishers.

"The U.S. always have problems with my games, to be honest. Nomad Soul was the first to have issues over there," he claimed. "We were asked to change the name over there, so it was called Omikron: The Nomad Soul, but there was still no confidence that it would sell well in the States, so it wasn't supported.

"The games I make don't include a gun. Very often, American marketing departments have a problem with this. They have this image of their market being gun-loving rednecks. It's completely wrong."

This is the same interview in which Cage said he wouldn't make Heavy Rain 2 so he could build a brand around his name. When he does that, hopefully publishers will understand his games better. I like to think that when I see his name, I know exactly what I'm getting. Then I ask a redneck to pass me the gun.
Hey, Cage - release your games for MORE platforms [like you did w/ Indigo Prophecy] and you'll make MORE $.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Friday, July 05, 2019, 04:01:44 PM »
My thoughts & review on Heavy Rain (PC / Epic), which I played all yesterday:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/TGAEC/discussions/0/1639789306571792731/

INTRO.
Took a little over 10 hours today, but I went through it (Heavy Rain for the PC / Epic Store Version) ... in one day, for my first play-through.

CHARACTERS & STORY.
So, here's the story, in short: a man's son get kidnapped and he has to go find the kid, who might've been kidnapped by the infamous Origami Killer. There's a girl who rides a motorcycle (who is important), a private detective, an FBI agent, and a few other characters who the player will take control of; make decisions; investigate people & locations; and whatnot - all who are involved with trying to find this child, the Origami Killer, and the whole story behind this saga.

WRITING, STORY, VOICE-ACTING, ETC.
Sometimes, the writing, dialogue and voice-acting is stilted. Sometimes, it's all right where it belongs...and is fine. There are some typical David Cage type of issues here: sometimes, things that happen are melodramatic ridiculous, unrealistic, and/or over-the-top. Sometimes, there are things that feels like they're complete plot-holes. This all seems common also with other David Cage games, such as Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy.

It feels like Heavy Rain takes a bit to really get the story & characters actually going - but once it gets its actual plot actually going (which takes a little bit, around an hour or two), it's actually good at the plot stuff. There's a lot of pieces moving and things going, so you will be trying to follow a lot there.

QTE's & (A LACK OF) PUZZLES.
Everything (almost) is interactive and there's QTE's everywhere (Quick Time Events), which often are in the direction and movements of what you're supposed; to do and they are often used to make the player do the exact motion and feel as if they are really doing the movement & any emotion/reaction necessary. Though, like Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy, this game can take all kinds of different paths and turn out all kinds of different ways, which is what makes this game really tick.

If you're looking for challenging or difficult puzzles: find another adventure game. Heavy Rain is not that type of adventure game; it's not like those of the old days. It's more of a QTE-fest and decision-making game.

ISSUES.
The PC Version isn't without technical issues, though. First up, The Taxidermist DLC isn't currently here. Some levels, I had issues where the framerates, no matter what I did to lower the settings, still took massive hits and/or became a slide-show. Though, most of the time: the game ran at fine at 1080p40fps on High (capped it to 40fps max with MSI Afterburner, to stop the framerate bouncing and framerate hits it took with an in-game cap of 60fps).

FINAL THOUGHTS.
Overall, I liked Heavy Rain, despite its issues. It could've been great, if they ironed out some of the issues (especially the performance issues and some stilted dialogue).

Heavy Rain is good. Flawed, but still good and solid overall.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #87 on: Friday, July 12, 2019, 09:19:37 PM »
It's amazing how organized these threads are and the dedication D puts towards them.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, July 16, 2019, 12:49:23 AM »
Funny enough, I did a search on an old game a couple of weeks ago (Can't remember what but there's a good chance it was Alpha Protocol) and you gave D shit for multi posting in threads, making them super disorganized.  Guy is like a librarian filing to the Dewey Decimal system now.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #89 on: Friday, July 19, 2019, 10:12:38 AM »
Funny enough, I did a search on an old game a couple of weeks ago (Can't remember what but there's a good chance it was Alpha Protocol) and you gave D shit for multi posting in threads, making them super disorganized.  Guy is like a librarian filing to the Dewey Decimal system now.

hahahaha I can't believe I cared so much either way. I was just looking at that thread and can't even remember those posts. But yeah, it's like finding an abandoned vault in the middle of no where, and D is still there keeping things going.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, July 20, 2019, 10:26:00 AM »
hahahaha I can't believe I cared so much either way.
I would guess, me posting in a thread all by myself only and bumping a million times for every little thing, that must've been annoying.

I also would guess, the thread was very disorganized...which it was. Threads look a million times better and are much neater, the way they are now.

I was just looking at that thread and can't even remember those posts. But yeah, it's like finding an abandoned vault in the middle of no where, and D is still there keeping things going.
I straight-up love posting & talking about games. I love playing them too, obviously. Don't think I'll ever give any of that stuff up anytime soon.

EDIT:
Despite everything - in the end and the grand scheme of things, it all worked out great, didn't it? ;)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, August 03, 2019, 02:35:43 AM »
D, you rock :)