Author Topic: Smartphone Megathread. It's the shit.  (Read 138601 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: I have a new addiction
« Reply #160 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
the legend is a very nice phone, and while i certainly prefer it, i'd be torn about recommending it over the iphone based on hardware specs. the cpu is fast enough to handle the interface and the vast majority of apps without any lag, but it's behind the higher end phones in terms of raw power. in it's particular price range, however, it's most definitely one of the best phones available.

as far as music goes i've mentioned before in this thread that there are hundreds of music apps available for android, so you're bound to find something that meets your needs. tunewiki and winamp are two of my favourites, although i'm currently using the stock htc player because the widget looks nicer :P. i used my htc hero as my primary portable music player for 18 months and am now doing the same with my desire hd. no quibbles here.

also, everyone with an android phone should check out apktor for access to android's black market...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #161 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 10:39:57 PM »
To be fair, I don't really think Android quite competes with the iphone as far as multimedia...yet.  Sure, there are a ton of apps, but the iphone interface is probably the best I've come across. 

And checking out apktor now, thanks.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #162 on: Monday, November 01, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »
Going for the Android. The price relative to the iPhone was almost enough to sell me but using micro-SD pushed me the rest of the way.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #163 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 12:08:21 AM »
I didn't realize how powerful Android was in terms of customization up until earlier this week.  I'd been using my X10 fairly lightly and running nearly all stock software and only downloaded some apps from the Market such as games and stuff.

Sony recently released the 2.1 update and I enjoyed my phone a lot more and started looking into some more widgets and stuff and found some really amazing stuff.

You can customize your home screens with themes and stuff with something like ADW Launcher or LauncherPro.  This replaces the stock home screens and you can put a different skin and it looks impressive.  ADW is free but many of the themes are not.  There are some that are free though and they look decent.  I'm using York's White and really like the clean look of it.

I was using Sony's media solution, Mediascape.  It looks beautiful but in terms of usability it's a piece of shit.  I was using it for several months but I finally got tired of it.  There are some impressive music players on the market, including Winamp, PowerAmp (not free), Mixzing (free but there is a paid upgrade).  These players have the ability to add a widget to the home screen so you can control the music without going into the application itself.  Since I use my phone as my music player when I work out, I didn't want to have to always take my phone out, unlock it, go to the application, etc. just to change a song.  I found a really cool app called WidgetLocker.  It essentially puts a lockscreen in front of your normal wake up screens and allows you to put widgets on it.  That way, I can just wake my phone up and change the tracks without needing to unlock my phone.  The problem with WidgetLocker though is that it cannot get rid of your old lock screen, so you will have to brave three screens (if you have pin lock set up) in order to get to your phone.

In terms of calendar solutions, I've found Jorte, which is a free calendar/task app with a decent, if a little ugly widget.  The nice widget I'm using is called Pure Calendar and Pure Grid (both are not free).  They are just widgets so you need to have a backend calendar app, either Google or Jorte will suffice, and then you can use those widgets to provide an agenda and or calendar right on your home screens.  A must have if you are using your phone for business/school purposes.

In terms of clock/weather widgets, Beautiful Widgets is really nice as well, with lots of different skins for you to choose from.

I've found a battery indicator called Battstatt that I really like as well.  It puts out in a literal string your battery percentage.  It's simple and doesn't have a graphic, so it's a clean solution.  If you prefer to have your time like that as well, there's something call Tajm as well.  I don't like my clock displayed as "Five minutes after six" though.

If I have some time I'll figure out how to post screenshots of my phone's desktop.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #164 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 03:39:09 AM »
I customized my X10 out of the gate, I hated mediascape. I use MixZing. What browser are you using?
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #165 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
I have a HTC Droid Incredible and so I have the HTC Sense UI, which I understand makes a lot of improvements to the default Android UI and widgets.  Therefore I don't mess with widgets too much but I had to give a second thumbs up to PowerAmp.  It's a great portable media player.  It is pretty terrible at picking out the right cover art, but that's a minor complaint.  I plan on paying for it when my trial is up.  The price is a little stiff though:  $6.  But it's much better than the stock app my phone has (not sure if it's Android or HTC).
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 08:01:09 PM by scottws »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 11:02:46 AM »
I customized my X10 out of the gate, I hated mediascape. I use MixZing. What browser are you using?

I just use the default browser.  I think the default browser does a good enough job rendering pages.  Are there better alternatives?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »
My Milestone is the exact same as the original Droid; so a "Google Experience" phone...which basically means stock everything.   As such, I've had to customize it quite a bit from the start and am really liking the way it is now.

As for playing music from the lock screen, Poweramp has the option to put a widget on the lockscreen itself, which is only active when Poweramp is running.  Might want to check that out.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 08:00:39 PM »
I just use the default browser.  I think the default browser does a good enough job rendering pages.  Are there better alternatives?
I use the default browser as well.  I tried Opera Mini, but I didn't like it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, November 28, 2010, 11:41:22 PM »
I use the default in conjunction with Opera Mini.  There's really no reason I have to do this, but there are a couple of websites that I will only really go through in mini just because I don't have unlimited data and there's a shit load of pictures (and mini is generally faster on these sites...as well as renders them better for whatever reason). I have, however, tried a few others just messing around:

1.) Some people swear by Dolphin HD.  It seems like a neat browser, but there's a whole lot of unnecessary "bling" going on there.  I didn't really think it was better at anything than the default, but some people love some of it's features.

2.) Firefox.  Don't bother.  At least not yet. Huge footprint and kind of sucks.

3.) Opera Mobile.  Much better than Opera mini...on Windows Mobile.  Stay away from it on Android until they get a whole shitload of kinks worked out.

4.) Skyfire.  You should at least check this out because it's pretty cool.  It's a browser a bit like the Blackberry one/Opera Mini in that it renders pages to a server and then just sends you the compressed data.  In theory this should be faster and use way less data.  The cool thing about Skyfire is it also makes it so that MOST flash video will work on your Android phone, although in a limited way (It has to convert it and stream it to you).  If you're not on flash-capable 2.2, you might as well check it out.

Has anyone found a good media gallery replacement?  I've been having all sorts of problems with both the 2.1 stock one and the 2.2 3D version...like they render both pretty much unusable.  I found JustPics does a really good job for pictures (And even lets you sync to Picasa/facebook/whatever else), but it doesn't show videos I've taken, which is a bit of a pain. I've even switched roms up to 2.2 and done a phone wipe to no avail.  I'm thinking it may be the Class 2 SD card giving me problems.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #170 on: Friday, December 03, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: Friday, December 03, 2010, 11:20:06 PM »
I imagine that's going to eat up some people's lives.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #172 on: Friday, December 03, 2010, 11:31:15 PM »
That's pretty cool, but I imagine it's impossible as far as complex gameplay, unless the controls are more advanced than what they show there.

Still, stuff like the auction house and other trivial bullshit would be awesome on a phone.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #173 on: Saturday, December 04, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »
I think Blizzard released an auction house app already so you could manage auctions while on the go.

Anyway, it's kind of a neat idea but then you'd see addicts playing WoW everywhere they go like in school or at work.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #174 on: Saturday, December 04, 2010, 06:26:10 AM »
WoW on Android!
So it's like that OnLive thing.  The lag here looks much worse.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #175 on: Saturday, December 04, 2010, 07:19:13 AM »
So it's like that OnLive thing.  The lag here looks much worse.
Yep, they ran WoW on GoogleTV using the same streaming technology. Conceptually it could work but I don't think it's an ideal solution.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #176 on: Monday, December 06, 2010, 07:04:06 PM »
I'm trying to decide if PowerAmp is worth the $5 or not at the moment.  Can't decide yet.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday, December 08, 2010, 10:29:49 AM »
I decided not to get a smartphone because I can't justify/afford spending over $25/month on a phone plan.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, December 08, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »
I don't have a monthly plan personally.  I'm on pay as you go, with a prepaid $100 card.  I just use wifi internet when it's available.  If I really need internet, I can just pay $2 for 1 day of internet, or $7 for 1 week.

Talk time is $0.25 per minute, text message is $0.15 per message.  There are text message packages available with pay as you go though.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, December 08, 2010, 06:16:40 PM »
I decided not to get a smartphone because I can't justify/afford spending over $25/month on a phone plan.

Stick to this for as long as you can hold out.  I pay roughly $100 a month and can't go back.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, December 08, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »
I think I should add that the $100 lasts an entire year for me.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, December 08, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »
To be fair, if I was paying by text, I'd be drunk texting and sexting my way to $100 in two months easy.

Also, I hate you and your much more financially rational lifestyle.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #182 on: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 07:25:39 AM »
$100 a month is a lot. I do about 400 minutes and 400 texts a month and $25 covers that due to unlimited evenings and texting. With data the best plan I've seen is Virgin's $55/month student plan but that only gives you a gig.

I can't wait for the new providers to go nation-wide. Mobilicity has a deal right now: Unlimited North America Calling, Unlimited Global Text, Call Display, Voice Mail and Unlimited Data for $35 a month. It's insane.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #183 on: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 07:35:58 AM »
$100 a month? WTF?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 11:14:48 AM »
To break this down:

Voice Plan:  350 Min, unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 5pm = $32 down from $40
Data: 1 GB = $30 (I used to pay $20 for unlimited but they cut that when they upgraded their data network and no one can get it back)
Device Protection = $7.  I should cut this, but taking the hit from destroying my last phone sucked balls.
Unlimited Texting = $8, down from $15
Voicemail Ten = free
Caller Id = Free
Motherfucking Fees = ~$8
Tax: ~$10

To be fair, my voice usage during the day has dropped dramatically since I stopped using my phone at work (in response to them cutting off our phone allowances).  I only used like roughly 90 min last month before 5pm.  And then like 400 after 5pm.  Texts were in the range of 700.

Now, I'd reduce my voice plan, BUT there aren't really any other viable options at the moment.  I can cut down the minutes by like half and have evenings and weekends start at 9pm (or 6pm if I'm willing to pay), but I'd only save like $5 or so since I already have a reduced rate on that plan.  I can cut data down to 500mb, but I may go over and it only saves me $5.  I really just need some shit subsidized again.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »
holy crap! you guys get totally ass raped on mobile plans. i get 900 minutes, unlimited texts and 750mb of data for around $60 (USD), plus a free desire hd. i actually pay half that, because i work for the phone company, but anyway...

you could get the plan gpw posted above with a regular desire included for less than $40 (USD).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »
Jeez.  I pay like $70 for 450 mins, free mobile-to-mobile, free nights/weekends after 7pm, unlimited text, unlimited data.  I get it a little cheaper because of an employee discount with the county (don't tell anyone I quit... I wonder if they'll ask when I move to TX).

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »
Gang raped more like it.

I pay a max of $30 a month and it includes unlimited everything.

Again, the problem is that North America is huge in terms of landmass and coverage is expensive for companies themselves. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #188 on: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
Yeah, in the U.S. if you want a phone + data plan, you're going to play close to $100/mo. and nothing is unlimited.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 02:25:29 AM »
I read that Canada is apparently the most expensive in the world.   I do get the giant landmass thing for north America and do understand that Canada has a drastically smaller population to recoup those costs from, but the presence of those reasons also create the excuse for increased markup.  These companies consistantly turn ridiculous profits and its increasingly obvious that there's some form of price setting going on.  Probably not to the levels where it would be deemed illegal, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were towing that line.

The shitty thing is that before I had data, my standard bill would be around $70 because I was getting charged for features like voicemail and call display.  That was with fewer min. As well...and I went over all the time and would get hit with MASSIVE bills.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #190 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 09:17:56 AM »
I was paying $40/mo. for 900 minutes with voicemail, caller ID, and unlimited texting back in the day.  The advent of the smartphone changed all that.  Text messaging plans are the worst, especially when it costs the providers virtually nothing to provide the service.  Verizon charges like $5/mo. for 200 texts but you can get 5000 for $15/mo.  They basically make it so you have to pay for the larger plan.  However, if you have a data plan it usually has some sort of texting attached and besides you can always do Google Voice for free texting.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #191 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »
Gang raped more like it.

I pay a max of $30 a month and it includes unlimited everything.

Again, the problem is that North America is huge in terms of landmass and coverage is expensive for companies themselves. 

The new wireless companies are pretty much avoiding the whole giant landmass issue by only offering service in dense cities and then giving unlimited everything at European level prices. It's great, several companies have offered unlimited everything plans for under $40 which is about half the old prices. The only downside is that coverage sucks outside of cities but for a lot of people that's really not a big deal.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #192 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »
I read that Canada is apparently the most expensive in the world.   I do get the giant landmass thing for north America and do understand that Canada has a drastically smaller population to recoup those costs from, but the presence of those reasons also create the excuse for increased markup.  These companies consistantly turn ridiculous profits and its increasingly obvious that there's some form of price setting going on.  Probably not to the levels where it would be deemed illegal, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were towing that line.

The shitty thing is that before I had data, my standard bill would be around $70 because I was getting charged for features like voicemail and call display.  That was with fewer min. As well...and I went over all the time and would get hit with MASSIVE bills.

How long have you been a paying customer with Rogers (that's the company I assume you are with)?  If you've been with them for a while, give them a call and bitch and complain that your plan is too expensive and they will lower the price.  My dad was regularly paying $150-$200 per month for his cell phone because he would always go over his allotted minutes since it's a business phone, and he finally got Rogers to give him truly unlimited minutes Canada-wide (before it was like 500 minutes Canada-wide).  I don't remember what he pays now though.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #193 on: Friday, December 10, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
OMG that is ridiculous.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 01:41:30 AM »
How long have you been a paying customer with Rogers (that's the company I assume you are with)?  If you've been with them for a while, give them a call and bitch and complain that your plan is too expensive and they will lower the price.  My dad was regularly paying $150-$200 per month for his cell phone because he would always go over his allotted minutes since it's a business phone, and he finally got Rogers to give him truly unlimited minutes Canada-wide (before it was like 500 minutes Canada-wide).  I don't remember what he pays now though.

Telus, but they're really all exactly the same. in both pricing and how they do this. Whenever I call now, I go straight to Loyalty and Retentions.  I have done this before, (keep in mind that I am getting about $30-35 dollars/month in discounts...sort of) and it worked well - my non market voice plan at the time was good for on contract, and the original data plan I got was unlimited at a pretty decent discount...which they removed when I replaced my phone and moved to the new, highspeed network. 

I do plan on recalling in the near future but understand I have somewhat less leverage now than I would were I off contract (I think I have about 18 months less).  The good news is that competition with the new guys has made things improve a bit.  Loyalty and Retentions are apparently now offering  1gb for $20 or 6 gb for $30 (which I pay for 1gb).  There are also some new loyalty and market plans which COULD be cheaper, especially now that you factor in that most don't have some of the unnecessary fees attached.  My concern would be having to pay for caller id, voice mail, and possibly having later evenings and weekends.  I'm looking into it currently, but am sort of leaning towards holding out in hopes that shit heats up further and I can walk away with something that's a bit less of a toss up and is a guaranteed good deal.

That said, howardforums.com is a great place to go and get plan and hardware advice for whatever your carrier may be.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #195 on: Monday, December 20, 2010, 11:27:10 AM »
So I went to get my Omnia i900 repaired and apparently it'll cost $300, which is ridiculous to say the least, especially considering last January they told me it would only cost $160 (the main reason I didn't get it done then was because I was travelling in 5 days and the repairs would take 2 weeks, talk about procrastination).

I'm basically in the market for a new phone. I'm leaning toward the Samsung Galaxy S (Pug's posts got me so hot for it) though I'm wondering if I should hold out for the Nexus S.

Alternatively, any other suggestions are welcome i.e. HTC.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #196 on: Monday, December 20, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »
Galaxy S Middle East just got the 2.2 update too, and Samsung India tweeted that 2.3 will be on the cards.

The HTC Desire HD is pretty awesome as well. You should hold both to see what you like. The Galaxy S has the Super AMOLED screen, and a faster GPU and CPU. It beats the Desire HD in benchmarks. Its camera sensor is also excellent. It also has great battery life. I think it also has more internal storage? Not sure. One cool thing is that it has a Gorilla glass, which makes it almost impossible to get scratched.

At the same time the Desire HD's screen is slightly bigger, and it has the the far better HTC interface. Its camera has a flash as well. Both are sporting Android 2.2

Here is an excellent discussion on the two:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire-hd/177848-desire-hd-vs-galaxy-s.html

Galaxy S Pros:

Slightly Faster (mainly GPU I believe) (though with lag bugs atm but set to be fixed)
FFC
Probably better Sound Quality (the HD SQ is unknown but I have heard the Galaxy S SQ is excellent the HD has a lot to live up to).
Super AMOLED display.
Lighter
Potentialy massive aftermarket community (released on all 4 major carriers in the US and selling incredibly well elsewhere).
Headphone slot on the top
Potential for extended battery is higher with a removeable back
Higher internal Memory.
Available now
Swype Pre-loaded
Gorilla glass screen.
More pocketable (not by a lot, but it is smaller).
Better Video quality (some Desire HD video captures have been uploaded on XDA, general consensus is that they are not that great).

Desire HD pros

Probably better camera (mexapixels don't mean everything so we can't be sure)
Bigger screen
Regular pixel config not pentile matrix like on SAmoled.
Sense = better than Touchwiz
New sense features on top of this.
Nicer build quality.
Boot time
Made by a more reliable company.
Better GPS (presumably)
Extra Ram
Notification light (I think).
Camera Flash.
Potentially faster Data (14.4 Mbps down 5.76 up)

You should play with both if you can before deciding.

As for the Nexus S, it is also a Samsung phone. A piece of warning. Some Nexus S phones in Eastern Europe and Asia -- unlike UK and USA --are coming with clear LCD screens rather than Super AMOLED because of screen shortage. Super AMOLED is in a class of its own, so if you are going with the Nexus S, make sure your cell has it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #197 on: Monday, December 20, 2010, 02:46:21 PM »
Thanks for the info, Pug :)

I'll keep your tips in consideration when touring the market.

My heart is definitely swaying toward Android but I'm also keeping the iPhone 4 (32GB) option on the table since it's available here for ~$230 with a 1-year contract, which seems too good of an offer to pass up.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #198 on: Monday, December 20, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »
Yea the only reason I am so anti Apple is because they are overpriced. A good deal can't be overlooked though.

No phone can still measure up to the excellent responsiveness of an Apple phone. It is amazing how huge the gap is.

The iPhone 4 isn't super AMOLED, but it's sporting a really really high resolution. Looks really hot.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #199 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 02:19:03 AM »
No notification light on the Galaxy S phones?  That's one of the selling points for Android for me (silly, I know).

If one were to go Android now, I'd probably lean towards the Nexus S (assuming you don't care about a keyboard). Apart from the hardware, the Nexus S is a stock android phone (no custom GUI), but as a Nexus phone, it's also Google's personal flagship.  This means it's probably guaranteed updates quicker and for longer than most other comparable phones (if the Nexus One is anything to go off of).  The first to get new version rollouts and so on.   I think it also ships with Gingerbread, which is a pretty big advantage.

I don't think the Nexus S is rocking Gorilla Glass, however, which is a pretty big disadvantage if you're hard on your phone.  Also, no dedicated camera button (I think).

Tough to say.  A lot of people love Sense, but a fair amount like to just rock the stock OS with a custom launcher from the market as well.  It's kind of a personal thing.  I'd suggest you play around for a bit and see what you like.

But really, either way; Apple or Android, you'll be amazed at the improvement over your Omnia.  I was.