Author Topic: Smartphone Megathread. It's the shit.  (Read 138771 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Smartphone Megathread. It's the shit.
« Reply #400 on: Sunday, November 03, 2013, 08:24:29 PM »
It's honestly not the most exciting update.  The main things are better performance across the board and improved Google Now functions.  Also, cloud print, which I've been missing (HTC has it on their phones and I actually used it a fair amount).

Although one of the bigger changes that no one seems to really mention is that the Google Experience launcher is now separated from the system itself, meaning that updates can now be delivered over the Market instead of through system updates.  I think there's a bunch of small changes like this that lay the groundwork for Google solving the fragmentation/slow update problem.

OR I could be wrong about that.  I don't know, I read it somewhere and can't find any mention of it now.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #401 on: Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 01:31:21 PM »
Ordered a Moto X. I was one of the lucky ones that got one of those $150-off promotional codes last Monday. I went with the T-Mobile version because it is carrier-unlocked and not carrier branded.  I'm going to go with a StraightTalk plan using a AT&T SIM card.  StriaghtTalk doesn't do nano SIM, so I will have to cut it down to size.

I was trying to decide between the Moto X and the Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 has way better specs but comparison reviews said either you can't go wrong either way or favored the Moto X because of its battery life, feel in the hand, and features.  Plus I thought the N5 was too big.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #402 on: Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »
Awesome.  That's a great deal for the Moto X, and I personally would go with that over the Nexus 5.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #403 on: Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »
I'm always tempted by Nexus devices and the Nexus 5 is a great contender. The Moto X is a great choice though for the reasons you mentioned. I haven't tried it myself but the reviews are raving about it; it's being touted as the all-round ideal Android phone.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #405 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
So I've been eligible for an upgrade for a while now and I've been playing with the idea of jumping ship on apple because iTunes on PC (I just can't deal with that anymore). But I honestly have no idea where to start with Droid phones which is holding me back. I'm at a point now with phones where I don't care about watching video or playing games, I'm just looking at basic functionality (maps, browsing, music) so the bleeding edge tech of phones isn't necessary for me, plus more cost effective. Thing is most of the cheaper Droid phones are $99, but the iphone 5c is $49 (I currently have a 4S). Would it be worth it to make the jump to a Droid phone?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #406 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »
So I've been eligible for an upgrade for a while now and I've been playing with the idea of jumping ship on apple because iTunes on PC (I just can't deal with that anymore). But I honestly have no idea where to start with Droid phones which is holding me back. I'm at a point now with phones where I don't care about watching video or playing games, I'm just looking at basic functionality (maps, browsing, music) so the bleeding edge tech of phones isn't necessary for me, plus more cost effective. Thing is most of the cheaper Droid phones are $99, but the iphone 5c is $49 (I currently have a 4S). Would it be worth it to make the jump to a Droid phone?
Definitely. At least for some like me, moving to Android was the best thing I did.

Have you looked into the Moto X or the Moto G?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #407 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »

I'm at least slightly biased here since I've been on Android since the begining and never have actually owned an iPhone, but from what I've used in iOS and iPhones in general, I'd say it'd definitely be worth it to make the switch if you're sick of dealing with iTunes/the Apple ecosystem (or any aspect of it).

Android has come a long way since I first got on it and could tell people "Android is sweet...but you should probably be tech savvy if you want to get on board".  Modern Android "Just works" just as well as iOS.  In fact, if you're used to a PC you're probably better off with Android, period - dragging and dropping is pretty much the most intuitive way of transferring files ever.

Anyway, if you're looking for an Android phone go either Nexus 5 (maybe Nexus 4 if you can get one dirt cheap), Moto X or Moto G. They're currently the best options for low/mid tier (which is really pretty much the same these days) and cut out a lot of the bad parts about Android.

That said, wait a couple days, Google has their I/O conference on Weds and have been known to make "This phone is available today!" announcements which could push prices down.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #408 on: Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 05:43:05 AM »
+1 for Moto X.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #409 on: Wednesday, August 06, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
Yea so I looked at the Moto X and I think Im gonna go for it unless anyone else has any other recommendations.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #410 on: Thursday, August 07, 2014, 08:14:43 AM »
The Moto X is an excellent choice.

One more phone that's getting a lot of attention is the OnePlus One (strange name, I know). It's a decent flagship killer especially for its price. Although it is worth noting that several reviews and users have commented that despite the device's performance being great its functions as a phone are actually less than stellar, with call quality being sub par and call connectivity is questionable at times.

All things considered I'd still go with the Moto X. Its reliability and overall performance are commendable.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #411 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »
Well if you are coming from iPhone, the Moto X at least won't shock you with the size like most other Android phones. It is about the same height as an iPhone 5 but wider.

I still love my Moto X.

The only places I think that the iPhone is better is as a status symbol, the accessory ecosystem, and mobile gaming. I think Android is better in every other way (and especially the Moto X version of Android).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #412 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
I believe the 1+1 has had quality  issues, especially with the screen.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #413 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
I've been looking for something I can use with my tmobile prepaid. I just have a crappy flip phone now but it would be nice if I could have some apps and such, even if I just use it on wifi. Hard part is finding something thats not going to run me broke just for the phone. The Nokia Lumia 521 seems like it might be ok, but I dont know if I want a Windows phone. But if it works for my basic needs it probably wont matter if the app selection isnt there. Probably only going to use twitter and FB on it, and maybe the GPS for geocaching (I read it can cache the map for offline use so that would work just fine). I dunno, havent decided.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #414 on: Sunday, August 10, 2014, 10:38:52 AM »
Don't go Windows Phone.  Just don't.  Especially don't go low end Windows Phone.

The only reason to go with Windows Phone is to go for the higher end Nokia hardware.  Want a phone with an awesome camera, sure, there's a Nokia for that.  The rest of Windows Phone is sub par compared to Apple or Android.  Sure, the Windows Phone OS itself is pretty nice, and the UI design is swell. It's always snappy, and I don't have any real complaints about it....BUT the app situation WILL piss you off even if you don't think it will. 

Want to listen to some NPR?  Good luck, MAYBE they'll get an app out there in a few months.  Google apps?  No guarantees ever. Maybe you can deal with that, but what's going to get you is when you check out some geocaching forum and everyone is talking about some awesome new app that does this or that....and you'll never get.

Windows Phone is perfectly functional, but you're giving up widespread support and not getting anything in return.  Also, keep in mind that the Lumia you're looking at doesn't have a flash - that's going to make you angry at some point - not just with pictures, flashlight apps are extremely handy.

If you want a low cost phone with excellent app support and functionality go Moto G, Nexus 4, or Nexus 5.  Just do it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #415 on: Sunday, August 10, 2014, 10:55:39 AM »
Ok, Ill look at those.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #416 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 06:12:56 PM »
I just browsed through some info on the Apple announcement today.  I haven't gone too in depth, but it really looks like Apple is floundering a bit. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they're doing poorly or that they're doomed, but it looks like fears of stagnation after the departure of Steve Jobs were pretty close to the mark and I've seen a lot of backlash towards the products announced.  Probably more than I've ever seen from Apple fans themselves.

The design of the new phones is not up to Apple standards.  The general consensus seems to be that the front is fine (obviously), but the back is terrible. To me it looks like an HTC design from 2007-2008.  That said, I don't think the back is really a big deal - 90% of people use some sort of case.   Personally, I'm just suprised because it seems like for the last five years or so Apple was the one to beat when it came to design aesthetics, and in a single year they were overtaken by LG, Sony, Nokia,  HTC, hell...pretty much everyone except for those Chinese companies and Samsung (god, Samsung's designs are terrible).

It's also kind of apparent that their design team has been living in a bit of a bubble.  They upped the size of the phone and offer an even bigger option now.  Great, people wanted that I guess.  But the thing is that they just took an iPhone and pretty much made the whole thing bigger rather than redesigning it.  They didn't take any of the design improvements made over the last three years in extra large phones and implement them - the bezel is fucking huge too. The end result is that the phone is bigger than it needs to be, which to a lot of people is a big deal when you're talking about 4.7-5.5 inch screens.  You have a way smaller margin to play with before it just becomes dumb, and I think they tripped into that. The Note 4 has a bigger screen and a smaller form factor.  The new Moto X, criticized for being too big has a screen size that's far closer to the Plus, but a form factor that's only a hair bigger than the standard iPhone 6.   It's just surprising because it's Apple and they usually design things waaaay better than this.

I think there's a reason though - they're obsessed with keeping the phone's thin.  Thing is like a razor, which is great for cases, etc.  But, going from my own opinions and things I've read, I think we've hit the saturation point on thin phones.  They're small enough that no one cares anymore, and I couldn't be happier about that.  Lets hope that designers take this to heart and they start focusing on improving battery life, even if it means an extra couple mm here or there in depth.

the iPhone 4 and 5 were both very striking phones, and this just isn't. Rounded glass edges are awesome, I love them on my Nexus 4, but the rest of it just looks like ....well, blah.

And it's kind of alarming, or should be, for Apple.  This is the area they excel in.  Sure, their other products for the most part still look really good;  Apple TV is brilliant in it's simplicity, Imacs are great, Macbooks are pretty much the nicest looking laptops you can buy, and Mac Pros...well, they look fucking weird, but whatever.  But the iPhone is their bread and butter in the design department.   It's their showcase.  Everyone knows a MacBook looks good, but they don't really care - it's kind of a given in the computer world that if you spend more you get something made from better materials and probably designed a little better.   Of course the HP Envy doesn't look quite as good - it costs half as much.  But for some reason it's different with smartphones.  And now the HTC One M8 looks better than the new iPhone, costs half as much on contract, and gives you twice as much storage out of the box. Performance wise, I'm sure the iPhone is quite a bit better, but we've hit the point where real world usage is affected so little that design and features are pretty much everything.

And then the fucking watch....I think it's ugly, but not as ugly as everyone claims.  The crown could be brilliant or terrible, and ....well, I'm not sure about it.  What I do know is that it's too expensive.  And I think this is where Apple is going to have all their problems in mobile in the next year or so.  Apple's continued success during the rise of Android was because they still were untouchable in the high end of the market.  If you had the money and were already invested in the ecosystem, why not get the phone that "just works", uses the best materials, has excellent performance, looks good, and has three year support?  And now Android has slowly creeped up there with them.  Android's high end phones are arguably more aesthetically pleasing, offer more features, use high end materials (save Samsung), and are just as snappy even if the iPhone is technically more powerful.  Why not save yourself $100 and get a smaller phone with a bigger screen, more storage, front facing speakers, all the software features Apple will incorporate into iOS in a year or two, and now "just works" as well?

Apple will be fine.  It's just surprising to see these two products which rely so heavily on their strengths - great aesthetics and utility design be so lackluster.  Hopefully it's just a bad year because Apple really is a lot better for a lot of people and it's good to have them at the top, or close to it.

One headline I read that was pretty funny went something like "Apple Announcement Conference:  The one they should have had in 2012 if they wanted to hold Android at bay".    I liked that.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #417 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »
Agreed on all points, except the Watch. That thing is terrible.

Hardcore Apple fans, the ones that aren't disappointed by this conference (or deny that it was lackluster) are excites about things like NFC payments and custom keyboards.  I find that sad.  Android has had these things for 3+ years.

I saw people posting a fake marketing image that showed the iPhone 6 compared to a Google Nexus 4.  Basically it showed that the Nexus 4 had all of the new iPhone's features in 2012.  Heck the Galaxy Nexus had all of them except the screen size earlier than that.

I feel bad for them that for all this waiting all they have to show for it is basically like a worse version of a HTC One M8 and a horrible smart watch.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #418 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 08:22:11 PM »
It's amazing how Android  has overtaken iOS.  I jumped off of Windows Mobile and into Android pretty early - Droid/Milestone.  While the build quality of the Milestone was great, Android just wasn't quite there yet in 2.1 . The extra features were great and the customization cool, but if it weren't for the QWERTY phones at the time I probably would have jumped ship - the OS was buggy, lagged at times, and updates were an absolute pain.  I got a Desire Z/G2 after that and although it was slightly faster on Gingerbread, it still wasn't quite up there with iOS when it came to ease of use or stability.  And then ICS hit.  My HTC One S was all of a sudden better than any iOS device I had touched. Interface was better and more powerful, easier to use and do what you wanted, the build quality was great and it was fast as hell.  This is when Android started to "Just Work".  We didn't really see it at the time, but Android completely overtook iOS in one release and all of a sudden, instead of playing catch up, Android was leading the charge. Apple was forced to add features Android had for years and Android just kept getting better.

I'm rocking a Nexus 4 now, a 2012 phone I bought brand new in 2013 for $200.  My only complaint at all is that the battery life could be better, which isn't really much at all when you think about how quickly Android phones used to age.  I couldn't imagine switching over to iOS now - every time I do anything on an iOS device I feel so limited and really notice how bare bones it is.  This is partially part of their strength, but it really goes beyond that.

You look at the features of iOS 8 now and they're all something Android offered for quite a while.  Predictive typing, iCloud Drive, Spotlight search features, device sync, pop up and status bar notification interaction, stock camera editing, a share button.  All of these have been on Android for at least 18 months, some go all the way back to my first Android phone. 

There are definitely iOS features that Android doesn't have (easy to use Do Not Disturb Mode, etc) and there are comparable features that are a toss up between them now, but whereas a year ago I may have said that I still thought iOS was the more developed OS, I don't think I can say that anymore.

The thing about this launch was it's a whole new model refresh...these are usually the Apple events that wow people, and it really didn't.  Maybe the market is at the point where it's a lot harder to actually impress (I am sure this is part of it), but it also does seem like Apple is losing it a bit.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #419 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 08:34:30 PM »
Its really just proof that Steve Jobs was the Apple that many fell in love with, not Jony Ive as many were hoping.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #420 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 08:46:14 PM »
There was something there that was probably more than a sum of it's parts.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #421 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 01:35:42 AM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #422 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 01:41:09 AM »
Could be because the iPhone 6 is slimmer and easier to access with the thumb in one hand.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #423 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 02:59:27 AM »
The Verge is extremely pro-Apple.  Just read their Apple Watch review.  Even though the Moto 360 can use standard watch bands, no credit is given while the author basically ejaculates onto his keyboard while writing about the Apple Watch's band options.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #424 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:57:22 AM »
I have notoriously small hands and I can use my Galaxy Note 3 (SGN3) with one hand. Seriously, my hands are freakishly small for a guy. With normal operation the SGN3 require a bit of stretching to get my thumb across but it actually "one-handed operation mode" in the settings, allowing you to choose a preferred side for any onscreen keypads and even some of the apps. Not to mention the SGN3 also has the "draw app window" feature which allows you to draw the location and size you want a certain app to appear in e.g. calculator, and it appears in that size in the designated location of the screen; granted this feature only works with certain apps.

Either way, the SGN3 is designed to work with a a stylus, the traditional usage of such formats defines it as a device that's meant for two hands.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #425 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »
I'm guessing those are two different writers to be honest.  But it's a good reason to keep in mind that you actually have to see most phones in person before buying now.   

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #426 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »
Alright, so would most of you still recommend the Moto X at this point?

Edit: Looks like this years new model isnt coming to Sprint, bummer.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #427 on: Friday, September 19, 2014, 05:40:45 AM »
I'm still very happy with my 2013/1st generation Moto X.  The 2nd generation one looks good and has had some great early reviews, but I'm not thrilled at all they went me-too with the size.  One of the things I like the most about the 1st generation is the smaller size.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #428 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »
Missed this but big announcement last week for Google.  A few products that are coming in the next month or so:

-Nexus 6.  Big ass phone. Some cool features, but I can't think of any.  Too big.  People were hoping that Nexus would split into a phablet and more traditional line (note the blowback against big phones I mentioned earlier).  That didn't happen, but Google isn't completely dumb and they've decided to keep the Nexus 5 around as a smaller/budget model.  Oh, and about that - The Nexus 6 isn't cheap at all, which is a bit disappointing as both the N4 and N5 were seen as top end hardware with mid tier prices.

-Nexus 9.  HTC full size tablet in the iPad screen ratio.  Apparently it's amazing and very high end. Seems really cool, but again, people were hoping for another nexus 7 variant as well.  Instead, Google is no longer selling any Nexus 7 models.

-Nexus Player.  Think Apple TV or Roku more than Chromecast.  Media center unit that has it's own interface and is completely functional without having to connect to a phone, tablet, or PC.  That said, I believe it also has Chromecast completely built it, if you want to roll that way.  The advantage over Apple is that it fully supports the Play Store, meaning you can download all sorts of apps to it. You can control it with the remote, an Android device, or a Gamepad that they sell....you know, because of Play Store games.  Honestly, it would be worth it over the Apple TV just because of emulators.

-Android 5.0 Lollipop.   Apparently this is the biggest jump in Android releases ever. I have a hard time buying that because Gingerbread to ICS was like Windows 98 to Windows 7 in my mind, but sure.  Completely new UI, huge performance boost, new runtime, and most importantly - a big focus on increasing battery life.  Sounds pretty bad-ass

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #429 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 08:19:50 PM »
I have a Chromecast, but I might consider getting a Nexus Player.  We'll see.  I find it odd that Google came out with it so soon after the Chromecast, which was a pretty huge hit, and they haven't had good success in this space with past efforts (Google TV and Nexus Q) and abandoned the projects.

I've also considered upgrading my Roku 2 XS to a Roku 3.  They just added Miracast support to the Roku 3 and Roku Streaming Stick.  I love my Roku 2, so this seems like almost a no brainer except that the Nexus Player does have me intrigued.  One thing I like about the Roku is that it is one of the few streaming boxes that has Amazon Instant Video.  I'm a Prime member and not a Netflix subscriber, so I use it quite a bit.

I could care less about the Nexus 6.  I hate big phones.  That's why I got a (2013/Generation 1) Moto X.  Sad to see that it didn't sell that well and Motorola joined the crowd with the 2014/Generation 2 Moto X.

I'm excited to see what Android 5.0 brings to my Moto X.  The battery life took a huge hit after I turned on encryption (and probably because it's almost a year old now), so I'm hoping ART and the battery life improvements right the ship.  By the way, ART has been around for awhile but I believe it was only available on Nexus devices and only as an option.  Dalvik was (and still is as of 4.4.4) the default.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #430 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »
Yup, I ran ART on my Nexus 4 for a while and noticed zero difference compared to Dalvik.  I don't know if they've just improved it since the beta on KitKat or if it's just because the os is built around it now, but people claim a huge difference with 5.0 .  But really, who the fuck knows, phone tech is lame in that people always make these claims (I did this and get 7 hours of screen on time....oh, something must be wrong with your battery) that never seem to work out. 

As for the chromecast/play thing, I think it makes sense to an extent.  $30 Dongle that lets you cast your phone/tablet/desktop or $99 set top box that lets you do more.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #431 on: Saturday, October 10, 2015, 05:35:28 PM »
So, I got rid of the Nexus 4.  Well, I still have it and it works fine - just not as a phone.  I don't know if it was a software issue or a hardware issue but half the time people wouldn't be able to hear me unless I was on speaker phone, which is annoying as shit since I partake in an insane amount of phone calls for work.  The gps was also super slow to lock, which again, is a bitch because I drive to new addresses all the time in parts of the city I don't know well.  Even when it would lock, I'd get off track and it would take forever to re-route.

I was going to just do a factory reset and see how that did it but a deal crossed my path and I took it.  I was looking at picking up a Moto X Play soon, as I like the stock software, moto features, huge battery (a big flaw with the Nexus 4), expandable memory, and price ($400).  Two things worried me - the size of the phone and the processor being from a budget model.  As I was contemplating this, I came across an Ebay sale for a Moto X 2014 for $199.98, including shipping.  That transfered to about $275 for me (holy shit the dollar is bad). So I took the risk and went for it.

I got a bamboo and white model.  It's a Verizon overstock or refurbish, so that was the risk for me, but it worked.   It even shipped with 5.0 instead of 5.1 so I could unlock the bootloader and load a clean rom without all the Verizon bloatware.  The downside is that it's 16GB, which is the same as my Nexus 4 but still slim.  I only have some music on my phone, some podcasts, and that's about it so it works, although I'd love more just to never worry about it. 

That said, this is probably the best phone I've ever owned.  It feels amazingly premium.  The shape of it makes it feel great in the hand, with the metal frame and dimple on the back.  The bamboo is a bit slippery but again feels great.  I also love the Amoled screen.  I was slightly worried about it being too big as well, but it's perfect (I find I worry about the size of ever new phone and then love it).  The Nexus 4 is hailed for feeling great in the hand, being all black with the rounded bezel, but this feels so much better - it takes me back to the One S (which was miles above the N4 in the hand, in my unpopular opinion).   

The Moto Software is amazing as well.  Stock android with just a few features tacked on.  The "Active Display" is really handy, showing me a preview of notifications without having to turn the phone on - I almost never touch the power button now - just take the phone out of my pocket and look at the display, or wave my hand over it if it's on a desk.   The "chop to turn on the flashlight" and "Twist for instant camera" are both actually really handy (I didn't think they would be).  And Moto Voice is great, a bit slower than Google Now, but better in ever other way, especially since it's always on.

Oh, and fast charge  - never discount fast charge.  It's great. I got one for my car and it'll top up amazingly quickly or go from almost dead to over half full in a quick car ride.

The only downside is that Moto recently announced that they won't be updating the carrier versions of this phone to Marshmallow.  I'm one of the lucky ones with an unlocked bootloader so I could always load a custom rom, but it's a bit of a bummer as it'd probably lose the moto features.  Fingers crossed some enterprising individual figures a way out to flash the Pure edition (which is getting support) to the carrier versions. 

Seems like updates (one of Moto's big draws) are still a huge problem for Android.  Here's hoping that gets worked out in the near future

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #432 on: Monday, October 12, 2015, 12:19:46 PM »
I was thinking of getting a 2015 Moto X Pure as my next phone (I believe you'll know it as the Moto X Style, gpw), but I don't like the direction of Motorola under Lenovo, don't like the size, and am disappointed they went with an LCD screen instead of AMOLED.  I was kind of torn between riding my 2013 Moto X another year and going ahead and getting the 2015 Moto X Pure anyway, but then the Nexus 5X (and, to a lesser extent, the 6P as well) caught my eye.

I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a 5X but I will wait for MKBHD's review.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #433 on: Friday, October 16, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »

Holy shit

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #434 on: Friday, October 16, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »
I'm actually in the market to replace my 2013 Moto X.  Motorola is done updating the device to new versions of Android and I'm starting to really notice reduced battery life and some sluggishness as it copes with modern apps.

I was eagerly anticipating the 2015 refresh to the Moto X, but it seems that Motorola lost their minds and what once was a very small phone by modern standards is now a huge phablet beast.  On top of that, they replaced the AMOLED screen with an LCD one, a move that makes no sense when considering the Active Display feature.  To add insult to injury, it looks like Lenovo is gutting Motorola Mobility and making it a shadow of what it was under Google's stewardship.  Plus, I'm just not sure I trust Lenovo given the crazy stuff they've been caught doing with their consumer PCs in the last year.

As an alternative, I had my eye on the Sony Xperia Z5, but it uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810.  While it's basically Qualcomm's flagship ARM SoC right now, in reality it's a subpar design prone to overheating.  So you get great performance for a very short while until thermal throttling slows it down below the performance of SoCs just below it in the product line.  It would have been better if Sony used the 808.  Plus, Sony Android phones don't seem to be real common in the U.S.A., so I don't know anyone I could talk to about their experience with their Sony Xperia.

Then I started looking at the new Google Nexus phones.  I don't love the design of either the 5X or 6P, but at least there is a non-phablet version this year (the 5X).  Unfortunately, the Nexus 5X is all plastic.  I wish it had a more premium build.  Other than that, it seems pretty good.  The Nexus 6P is a non-factor for me because 1) it's a Huawei, 2) it's really ugly, and 3) it's a phablet.

It's funny that gpw posted about the BlackBerry Priv, because I just heard about it for the first time today and I started reading about it and watching videos and it looks interesting.  I actually could see myself with it.  But the jury is definitely out.  BlackBerry is really struggling and it would suck to get this phone and then have the company die, relegating me to no further updates.  Plus, who knows that they'll even keep the phone up-to-date even if they don't die as a company.

Someone also mentioned the LG G4 or LG V10 to me.  The V10 seems pretty gimmicky, but I guess the G4 is alright.

I've found choosing a phone this time around to be so difficult that I actually have contemplated getting an iPhone 6S instead.  I'm not sure I could deal with that though.  I send Google Hangouts messages to people with iOS and they never seem to get them.  When I ask them about it, they say they have Hangouts on a different screen and didn't see the little notification on the app icon.  That would drive me nuts: notifications on Android are a major feature and are always front-and-center.  It's very difficult to miss something coming in from an app on Android unless you explicitly turn notifications for that app off.  I would absolutely miss that.

Why is this so hard?!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #435 on: Friday, October 16, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
With regards to Sony phones, I've been using the Xperia series on and off for a while. I'm currently using the Xperia Z3 Compact as my daily driver. It's honestly been a delight.

To set the stage, I have been using the Nexus 6 for several months, so coming from that massive 5.9" screen to the Z3 Compact's 4.6" screen took some getting used to. The screen quality and resolution are vastly different as well. Bear in mind this is the Xperia Z3 Compact, which pales when compared to the full-sized Xperia Z3 with its gorgeous 1080p display.

What initially drew me to Sony was the style of their phones. I love it. The next thing that pulled me in was their approach to the software. It is pretty damn close to stock Android with some minor adjustments and enhancements to match the hardware. Plus Sony have been great with their support and keeping up-to-date. They're also pretty good at releasing relatively fast OS updates, for example, when Lollipop was released they updated the entire Xperia Z series, not just the Z3, and they were among the first to release Lollipop 5.1 after Google Nexus devices.

In terms of the internal hardware, I recall reading something about Qualcomm revising the 810 and actually making a second generation without changing its name or branding. According to www.sonymobile.com the chip in the Xperia Z5 Premium, the Xperia Z5, and the Xperia Z5 Compact is in fact the revised Snapdragon 810 MSM8994. The claim is that it does not have the same overheating issues as its predecessor. I was actually expecting Sony to go for the new Snapdragon 820 at least on the Xperia Z5 Premium.

Coming from the Z3 Compact, I am also considering upgrading the Xperia Z5 but I'm waiting for more in-depth reviews of the hardware. So far it looks promising and I really like the new forsted back as opposed to the old glossy fingerprint-magnet.

UPDATE:
The Verge have reviewed the Z5 and Z5 Compact.

UPDATE 2:
Yikes! The price of the Xperia Z5 is pretty ridiculous over here, going for 550 GBP, which is about $850 USD!!
« Last Edit: Friday, October 16, 2015, 03:48:37 PM by Xessive »

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #436 on: Saturday, October 24, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »
I want the Blackberry Priv.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #437 on: Tuesday, December 08, 2015, 06:58:34 AM »
I ended up going with the Nexus 5X.  Google had it for $80 off in the U.S. between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and I guess that's what I needed in order to pull the trigger.  I had previously been leaning towards the Sony Xperia Z5 or Z5 Compact, but I was a little worried about Sony's long term support and timely updates and I'd read that even though it was a specs powerhouse, Sony's version of Android didn't perform very well.  The price of the device didn't help either.

The Nexus 5X is a delight so far.  The fingerprint reader is amazingly fast, quicker than my girlfriend's iPhone 5S.  For an all plastic phone, it feels pretty premium, though I wish it had some metal around the edge or the back or something to take it to the next level.  This is my first LCD screen since my HTC Incredible, so I'm getting used to the more muted colors and less contrast but it's an amazing display otherwise.  Even though the device is encrypted by default, the performance blows the doors off my unencrypted 2013 Moto X, but we'll see how the performance is after a few months.  Android devices are always very snappy right after a factory reset and seem to get more sluggish over time.

It's the first device I've seen that uses the USB type C connector.  It's a little bigger than micro USB type B, but the fact that it is reversible really makes up for that.  The cable it came with is USB type C on both ends, so I have to get one that has a USB type A connection on one end so I can use it in my existing car charger and power outlet at home that has two type A connectors on it.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, but I'm still going through the ever so fun process of logging in to each of my apps.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #438 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »
I ended up going with the Nexus 5X.  Google had it for $80 off in the U.S. between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and I guess that's what I needed in order to pull the trigger.  I had previously been leaning towards the Sony Xperia Z5 or Z5 Compact, but I was a little worried about Sony's long term support and timely updates and I'd read that even though it was a specs powerhouse, Sony's version of Android didn't perform very well.  The price of the device didn't help either.

The Nexus 5X is a delight so far.  The fingerprint reader is amazingly fast, quicker than my girlfriend's iPhone 5S.  For an all plastic phone, it feels pretty premium, though I wish it had some metal around the edge or the back or something to take it to the next level.  This is my first LCD screen since my HTC Incredible, so I'm getting used to the more muted colors and less contrast but it's an amazing display otherwise.  Even though the device is encrypted by default, the performance blows the doors off my unencrypted 2013 Moto X, but we'll see how the performance is after a few months.  Android devices are always very snappy right after a factory reset and seem to get more sluggish over time.

It's the first device I've seen that uses the USB type C connector.  It's a little bigger than micro USB type B, but the fact that it is reversible really makes up for that.  The cable it came with is USB type C on both ends, so I have to get one that has a USB type A connection on one end so I can use it in my existing car charger and power outlet at home that has two type A connectors on it.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, but I'm still going through the ever so fun process of logging in to each of my apps.

How are you feeling about the 5x now?  I'm not in the market as my Moto X 2014 is still going strong but I'm curious. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #439 on: Friday, March 11, 2016, 10:05:59 AM »
Frankly? It sucks. I have tons of problems with performance of the device itself and especially the camera.  Sometimes the device is nice and snappy, and sometimes it lags like crazy for no apparent reason.  There are tons of threads on the Internet about it.  Here's one.  Supposedly, Google just released an update with their normal monthly security updates (yes, Google actually started doing this for the Nexus devices) that goes a long way towards fixing the performance issues on the 5X, but I haven't received the OTA update notification yet.

If it doesn't fix the problems well enough, I'm going to sell it and look at something like the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, LG G5, HTC M10, or *gasp* iPhone 7.

About that last bit:  I never thought it would happen, but I'm seriously considering switching to iPhone.  I am just completely disappointed at the state of Android.  I absolutely love the features and design of Android, but I am beyond tired of the poor performance and underwhelming reliability/stability.  I've had a bunch of Android devices.  Other than the first one I used, the HTC Incredible, I've had problems with all of them:

Google/Samsung Galaxy Nexus

When I first got the device, it was okay.  But over time as Google updated Android, the performance got worse and worse.  By the time I had it for two years, I couldn't wait to get a newer device.  The interface and opening apps was extremely sluggish by the end of the two years.  I tried using a version of CyanogenMod, but it would just freeze the phone frequently so I had to go back to stock Android.  The battery life was miserable by the end.  I couldn't even make it through my 9-hour work shift without having to plug it in.

Google/Samsung Nexus 10

This device was a problem from the start.  The screen would display a weird, flickering, bright line on the screen briefly occasionally.  It would randomly reboot constantly and updates to 4.2.1 and then 4.2.2 only reduced the frequency of that issue.  It wasn't until 4.3 finally came out that the reboot problem was resolved.  The device sold poorly and seemed to be quickly forgotten by Google.  They did release updates to Android for the Nexus 10 until recently, but anything after 4.3 seemed to introduce new bugs that never got fixed.  After 5.0, the WiFi performance has been atrocious and it can't seem to even keep the launcher in memory after opening a single app.  It can't even seem to handle Firefox with a page open that has a lot of ads.  It will close it out due to the memory pressure.  I've loaded CyanogenMod 12.1 on it (equivalent to 5.0.1), and it's very sluggish and the battery is basically shot.  Sometimes it will just power off at 50% battery.  Sometimes after charging overnight it will say the battery is at 0% still.  Sometimes it will charge to 100% but then never reduce from that until it suddenly powers off.  The screen flickers randomly.  Absolutely horrible experience overall.

I've thought about buying a Pixel C to replace my Nexus 10 since Google has a 25% discount on it now but I'm wondering what I'll be getting into, especially since I've seen reviews that say it has a real bad problem with touch input.  Plus, as many say, the Android tablet experience isn't all that great.  Google basically made the tablet and phone UI the same as of Lollipop and none of their own apps really do a good job of taking advantage of the large screen space.  Since Android tablets don't really sell that well, other developers follow Google's lead and don't really support tablets all that well.  I'm not sure it's worth bothering with.

Motorola Moto X (2013)

At first, this device was great.  Awesome battery life and performance, plus a great form factor and great, unique features.  But over time, it became more flaky and more sluggish.  Google made changes to Google Now Voice Search at one point (after they sold Motorola Mobility to Lenovo) and it broke Motorola's implementation of the "OK Google Now" always on voice search system and it took them months for them to fix it.  The result while it was broken was that you would just get a force close when trying to use it.  Apps would force close all the time.  The UI became quite slow and opening apps seemed to take forever.  After two years, I was ready to move on.  It wasn't as bad as the Galaxy Nexus after two years, but it didn't age very gracefully either.

Google/LG Nexus 5X

My experience the first few days was good.  It was a huge performance upgrade from my Moto X, even though its storage was encrypted.  But I quickly started noticing problems after that.  The camera was extremely slow to open.  Sometimes, pushing the shutter button did nothing at all.  Other times, I would see a thumbnail of a picture I tried to take appear in the little last picture box, but later I wouldn't find the photo in the Photos app or in any other gallery, as if the picture didn't actually save to the storage.  Sometimes when taking a photo with HDR+, the "HDR+ Processing" notification would get stuck at 100% in the notification shade and there was literally no way to remove it other than reboot.  Sometimes I'd unlock the phone and find that it doesn't respond to touch at all.  I'd have to lock it again and unlock it for it to work.  Other times, I would find that the phone appeared to be frozen, except it really wasn't.  I would be able to press the on-screen soft keys and would feel haptic feedback and see the button "light up", but normally the button highlight quickly goes away but in this case it would just stay there.  If I pushed anything else, nothing would happen but then about 30 seconds later the phone would start responding and perform all my taps in extremely quick succession, usually resulting in some unwanted thing happening.  I basically have to reboot my phone every two or three days to get out from under the performance lags that always seem to appear at about that time.

I really want to like Android, I really do.  But I'm so frustrated with the day-to-day experience.  Then I mess with my girlfriend's iPhone 5S running iOS 9 and it runs like it's brand new.  Nothing crashes.  There are no slowdowns of any kind.  It's very quick to respond to any touch input with zero lag.  I'm not a fan of the one-button experience, the launcher, or the completely horrible notification system compared to Android, but there is something to be said for the overall experience when using an iPhone vs. even top-of-the-line Android phones.  They just seem to get the finer details right whereas Google doesn't seem to want to be bothered.  Even when the other OEMs try, they just have Google's Android under the hood to work with.