Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 50034 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Dragon Age 2
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, May 23, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
PC Gamer looks back at DA2

This seems apropos.  I'm on the fence on whether to pick up the 360 XBL version for $8.  That price tag goes back up to normal in a couple of days (somewhere around $20, I guess).  After sinking so much time into Inquisition, I'm now more curious than ever about the one DA installment I'm missing.  The reviews have mixed things to say, but they are generally positive.  I remember not liking the demo, 4 years back.  But the videos I'm watching go far beyond that limited corridor run through an empty landscape.  Hmm.

And then there's Varric again.  Can't get enough Varric.  Oh, and the story of Hawke, which affects Inquisition rather prominently.  Yes, maybe I'll bite.

Edit:  My original comments on the demo.  At the time, I hadn't played any Dragon Age at all.  It was all the DA talk here that made me jump into DA:O.  I had forgotten that.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 23, 2015, 08:37:06 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #241 on: Saturday, May 23, 2015, 10:35:41 AM »
This seems apropos.  I'm on the fence on whether to pick up the 360 XBL version for $8.  That price tag goes back up to normal in a couple of days (somewhere around $20, I guess).  After sinking so much time into Inquisition, I'm now more curious than ever about the one DA installment I'm missing.  The reviews have mixed things to say, but they are generally positive.  I remember not liking the demo, 4 years back.  But the videos I'm watching go far beyond that limited corridor run through an empty landscape.  Hmm.

And then there's Varric again.  Can't get enough Varric.  Oh, and the story of Hawke, which affects Inquisition rather prominently.  Yes, maybe I'll bite.

Edit:  My original comments on the demo.  At the time, I hadn't played any Dragon Age at all.  It was all the DA talk here that made me jump into DA:O.  I had forgotten that.
Keep in mind - I ran DA2 on the PC. And keep in mind - it's also been much cheaper on the PC. Hell, it was even in a Origin Humble Bundle BTA Tier w/ a bunch of other EA games.

I would say it's worth $8 on the 360, if you can look past the laundry list of flaws. And that's a big "if", for many.
The problem is - can you get past the laundry list of flaws? That's the problem for most people w/ DA2.

Just...don't expect DA2 to be as great as DAO or DAI.

At their default settings (i.e. Normal) - DA2 is nowhere as strategic as DAO; nor it it even as strategic as DAI (from what I've played so far of DAI). In terms of strategic-style of combat, it looks like so far that DA2 < DAI < DAO. DA2 feels way more action-y. DA2 also has less customization for your characters' equipment in the Inventory, when compared to both DAI + DAO; some things are only upgradable + can't be swapped-out even. One of my biggest problems w/ DA2 is the huge recycling of areas (which are often duplicated or barely changed) + revisiting of locations for quests (even for both side + main) . Seriously, this game does this recycling thing to a very ridiculous amount. And there lies the laundry list of problems many had w/ DA2.

DA2 mostly takes place in Kirkwall...and a few places + locations surrounding it. The story is not of an epic scale of DAO or DAI (i.e. the world around you is being invaded by evil, go gather some companions to go destroy it) - but is much more personal here in DA2 (i.e. Hawke + his family go through lots of problems over the years, especially when immigrating to Kirkwall + then actually getting there). Also, since this all occurs over a certain amount of years + time, each Act feels like it has it own story + Arc to it. Each Act's main quest feels, in a sense, like its own "short story" in a time in Hawke's life - which I thought was pretty cool and different for a RPG to try to tackle. Others have hated the lack of epic scope in the story, since it feels like 3 different stories here for Hawke.

I really loved the character development, writing, dialogue, and voice-acting - as I normally do w/ most BioWare games. So, it's probably worth playing for that stuff alone, as long as you can tolerate the laundry list of flaws.

And that's what makes the game so divisive - with the laundry list of problems, either one of those or a combo of those things can be enough for some gamers to just ditch the game + not finish it.

If I ever got a job at BioWare and was given the task of overhauling + remastering Dragon Age 2 (which I do think is something they should do, since I think it could've been great if it had tons of more time in development), I'd really love to tackle + overhaul the hell out of that flawed-gem.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 23, 2015, 11:09:11 AM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, May 23, 2015, 12:20:58 PM »
I'm aware of the PC-console differences, of the repeated look of areas like dungeons, and of the setting being limited to Kirkwall and environs.  I'm also aware of the simplifications, including the fixed gear on companions.  All quite unfortunate, and all of which kept me from buying the game when it was new, and DA was a blank slate to me.  But now in the bargain bin, and after my long involvement with the rest of the series, it's looking more attractive, especially for the rest of the story, and the good characters.  As long as the gameplay is decent, it should fit the bill.

Thanks for confirming what I've been reading.  A mixed bag to be sure, but nothing seems to be a complete deal breaker.  Games do get cheaper on PC than on consoles--particularly digital purchases on the console service.  Anywhere below $10 is exceptionally good here, for a game like this.  Of course, it doesn't beat free, and a game or two will become free every month on XBL.  It'd be just my luck if DA 2 goes that route in June.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #243 on: Sunday, May 24, 2015, 03:24:35 PM »
I'm aware of the PC-console differences, of the repeated look of areas like dungeons, and of the setting being limited to Kirkwall and environs.  I'm also aware of the simplifications, including the fixed gear on companions.  All quite unfortunate, and all of which kept me from buying the game when it was new, and DA was a blank slate to me.  But now in the bargain bin, and after my long involvement with the rest of the series, it's looking more attractive, especially for the rest of the story, and the good characters.  As long as the gameplay is decent, it should fit the bill.
Curious - did you buy DA2?

I played DA2 PC on Normal - and I was okay w/ the action-y combat. I liked the feel, look + flashiness of the combat (with my KB-mouse), but didn't like that it wasn't nowhere as strategic as DAO PC was on Normal. Hell, it ain't even as strategic as DAI PC on Normal.

Might be worth boosting up to its Hardest on DA2, if you want it maybe to be a bit harder. IIRC, DA2 was not challenging too much for me in most instances on Normal. Both at their defaults - DAI PC feels easier than DAO PC - even though I am dying quite a bit here in DAI. Nowhere like DAO, though. DAO PC was tough for me - though, that was nothing compared to Dark Souls difficult to me currently. ;)

Thanks for confirming what I've been reading.  A mixed bag to be sure, but nothing seems to be a complete deal breaker.  Games do get cheaper on PC than on consoles--particularly digital purchases on the console service.  Anywhere below $10 is exceptionally good here, for a game like this.  Of course, it doesn't beat free, and a game or two will become free every month on XBL.  It'd be just my luck if DA 2 goes that route in June.
Yeah, it's all over the place. Even then, I still liked it, for certain reasons. I really loved the Three Act structure all w/ each having its own story (there are others who hated this). I also loved the characters in this - Merrill, Varric, and Avelline are great; not to forget to mention even the rest of the cast such as Fenris + Isabella, which I also did like.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, May 24, 2015, 07:27:55 PM »
Yes, I just bought it today.  It's downloaded and ready to go.  I'm not sure when I'll start playing it, since I'm still heavily into DA:I.  Going back and forth may present a problem with controls and such.  I'll still try it out soon.  I'm too curious not to.  :)

Did you get to Skyhold yet?  I don't want to say anything that will spoil things for you.  For now, I'll just say that there are plenty of DA2 spoilers when you get there and even before, if you like to hear all the dialogue possible.  (I do.)  I guess I'll have a general idea of what's to happen when I jump into the previous game.

If you're dying a lot in Normal difficulty in Inquisition, you should have some rewarding times learning how not to do that.  There is much to develop on your party characters, and some effective synergies between them.  And fade-touched items crafted into their gear can give them abilities normally only available to another class.  I could go on, but I won't.  Figuring it out is half the fun, no?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, May 24, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »
Yes, I just bought it today.  It's downloaded and ready to go.  I'm not sure when I'll start playing it, since I'm still heavily into DA:I.  Going back and forth may present a problem with controls and such.  I'll still try it out soon.  I'm too curious not to.  :)

Did you get to Skyhold yet?  I don't want to say anything that will spoil things for you.  For now, I'll just say that there are plenty of DA2 spoilers when you get there and even before, if you like to hear all the dialogue possible.  (I do.)  I guess I'll have a general idea of what's to happen when I jump into the previous game.

If you're dying a lot in Normal difficulty in Inquisition, you should have some rewarding times learning how not to do that.  There is much to develop on your party characters, and some effective synergies between them.  And fade-touched items crafted into their gear can give them abilities normally only available to another class.  I could go on, but I won't.  Figuring it out is half the fun, no?

Ain't been to Skyhold yet.

I just finished the quest
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #246 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 11:08:13 PM »
It's unreal how primitive these graphics look now in comparison to DA:I's.  I checked some PC footage of the same game intro sequence on youtube, to make sure it wasn't just a bad console port.  Nope.  They're nearly as crude on the PC.  The story is fascinating, though.  I got to Kirkwall, and quit for the night.  The gameplay is going to take a lot of getting used to.  It's so much better on the newer game.  Let's see where it goes from here.

Cassandra is so much hotter here, in a dark way.  I guess the years weren't kind to her.  :D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 02:57:12 PM »
It's unreal how primitive these graphics look now in comparison to DA:I's.  I checked some PC footage of the same game intro sequence on youtube, to make sure it wasn't just a bad console port.  Nope.  They're nearly as crude on the PC.  The story is fascinating, though.  I got to Kirkwall, and quit for the night.  The gameplay is going to take a lot of getting used to.  It's so much better on the newer game.  Let's see where it goes from here.

Cassandra is so much hotter here, in a dark way.  I guess the years weren't kind to her.  :D

Actually, if you have the DX10 stuff installed which you can get off the DA2 website, DA2 on PC looks quite a bit better - especially if you can jack it up to a higher-res.
But, DAI on the PC looks much better than DA2 PC.

Cassandra in DA2 looks like she didn't have all them scars and her face hasn't aged yet.
Yeah, in DAI - she looks like she been threw some wars...and then some; and her face has aged.
She's a really good character, though.
Many of the party-member characters in DA2 + DAI range from good to great, though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #248 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 02:40:08 PM »
I finished this.  Quite a strong story, and the repeated areas didn't bother me as much as I thought they would.  The companions are superb.  If everyone had a friend like Varric, the world would be a much better place.

So now I'm fully versed in the Dragon Age saga (so far).  I want more.  Books?  Comics?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #249 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »
I finished this.  Quite a strong story, and the repeated areas didn't bother me as much as I thought they would.  The companions are superb.  If everyone had a friend like Varric, the world would be a much better place.
I'm glad you enjoyed DA2. I do agree w/ you that the companions in this game were superb. I really liked the game - and that's even despite the repetitive areas (especially that), the lack of customization on certain things on party members; and the removal of strategy elements (tac-cam removal + the lack of strategic elements in Normal difficulty mode); and that the game never really had a story of epic scope like that of DAO + DAI.

I really liked the whole experimental 3 Act thing - and that each story felt like it had its own story + arc.

Varric's awesome.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #250 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 09:18:20 PM »

So now I'm fully versed in the Dragon Age saga (so far).  I want more.  Books?  Comics?
There is the Dawn of the Seeker animated film, which sheds a light on the history of Cassandra.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 05:35:54 AM »
Thanks, X.  Found it.  Will watch for sure.

I played the game on the lowest difficulty.  I mostly wanted to fill in the details between the two other games, learn the story and about the characters.  There is a lot of depth built into the skill trees, and they're more difficult to use and figure out than Inquisition's.  I hated the minimum-points restrictions.  They force you to populate parts of the trees that you don't want to follow, just so you can get the skills and passives you want (on another branch).  I do like the sustained abilities, something that didn't make it into DAI.  And then there's the tactics, which are excellent here and a joke in the later game (absent is more like it).  But all of that meant little, because of my approach to the game.  I made sure my mage could heal, support and spam elements into the crowd, and that Varric would rain death on crowds.  Then I tanked up Hawke (melee weapon and shield) as best as I could.  The 4th party member varied among the classes, and it's where I would stick whoever a personal quest demanded.   I played Hawke in real time most of the time, with everyone else fending for themselves and that worked fine except for a few surprising encounters when I got my ass handed to me.

The gear situation was better than I expected.  The only thing missing is companion armor.  I still got to choose weapons, accessories, and stuff for their armor (runes and enhancements).  I smiled when I saw that Sandal came back.  "Enchantment?"  Haha!

So, damn.  That is one zealot of a villain.  That's the only character I thought was too rigid and flat; but then the reason gets revealed at the end, so the one-track mind makes more sense.  Everyone else felt real, with varied motivations and demeanors.  Well done.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #252 on: Sunday, July 26, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »
Youtube -> VGS - David Gaider Interview on Dragon Age II.

Some notes:
-> DA2 was originally an expansion.
-> Because of scheduling, A LOT of content was cut from the game.
-> A lot of Mage storyline stuff was cut.
-> A storyline with The Fade + you getting possessed got cut.
-> A Coterie storyline w/ Varric was cut.
-> Act II had the least cut from the game.
-> David thinks Act II was the strongest act and could've been the final act in the game.
-> Changes from Romance system of DAO to DA2.
-> Discussion on Merrill's relationship
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 26, 2015, 04:42:19 PM by MysterD »