Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 50274 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: GameInformer on A LOT of DA2's changes; Final PC DRM info
« Reply #120 on: Sunday, March 06, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »
This means that you can’t equip them with the helmets, boots, and gauntlets that you find in your quest. This may sound disappointing at first, but it results in you spending much less time in the menus sizing up and optimizing equipment

huh? They make the second sentence sound like you are losing a bad thing.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: GameInformer on A LOT of DA2's changes; Final PC DRM info
« Reply #121 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 03:10:23 AM »
Basically they've shifted focus to the main player character, like Mass Effect. I'm not against that, DA2 has clearly moved away from the classic Baldur's Gate and NWN formula (which DAO was more closely tied to). I hope the game and interface mechanics work well for DA2.

Is it just me or did the DA2 demo feel like it was built for a gamepad? The interface was made for a mouse but the gameplay style and pace feels very gamepad-oriented, especially when using instant abilities.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »
Not having any DAO history to rely on, I played the demo and wasn't much impressed.  It consists mostly of cutscenes and running down this nondescript trail, plain brown landscape around, while hacking and slashing (or spellcasting the second time).  Press a button repeatedly while abilities recharge on 2 other buttons, use those, resume button mashing and dodging.  I discovered I could switch across the party members, which is cool, and I read that I could pause and issue orders to the party members.  (I loved this in Dungeon Siege.)  But I haven't tried that.  I made it to the next brief scene in my second demo run, which was at least more visually interesting, but still all I could think of was going back to Darksiders, which looks a hell of a lot better, and is much more fun as an action brawler.

I saw the level-up screens as well, complete with skilltrees (or whatever they're called here).  So I'm sure I'm missing a lot of what the game is about.  All I can say right now is that I can wait for more feedback and price drops without any salivating involved.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #123 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 09:08:45 AM »
Not having any DAO history to rely on, I played the demo and wasn't much impressed.  It consists mostly of cutscenes and running down this nondescript trail, plain brown landscape around, while hacking and slashing (or spellcasting the second time).  Press a button repeatedly while abilities recharge on 2 other buttons, use those, resume button mashing and dodging.  I discovered I could switch across the party members, which is cool, and I read that I could pause and issue orders to the party members.  (I loved this in Dungeon Siege.)  But I haven't tried that.  I made it to the next brief scene in my second demo run, which was at least more visually interesting, but still all I could think of was going back to Darksiders, which looks a hell of a lot better, and is much more fun as an action brawler.

I saw the level-up screens as well, complete with skilltrees (or whatever they're called here).  So I'm sure I'm missing a lot of what the game is about.  All I can say right now is that I can wait for more feedback and price drops without any salivating involved.

You know, I loved the first Dragon Age but your thoughts about the demo pretty much mimic mine. Sure it looked cool with my character running about killing shit with blood everywhere, but I was a little bored. Also I am not really impressed with the visuals, they look a little better than DA:O, but marginally, and it STILL DOESNT LOOK AS GOOD A MASS EFFECT. Seriously, this is a sequel and they havent even gotten the graphics up to par with some of the best big titles. I don't know, like you Cobra I'm going to see how the reviews pan out, but Im not keeping my hopes up. The skill tree stuff looked cool though. I know I havent commented much on the differences they made for DA2, I really wasnt sure how it would make me feel. Sometimes I got excited about a Dragon Age game with a cool main character and storyline like Mass Effect 2, other times I wish they didnt change so much. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #124 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »
DA2 PC - High-Res Texture Pack Released by Bioware mainly for those w/ over 1 GB vid cards.
DX11 is recommended for using this high-res pack.

Dragon Age II Patches
High Resolution Texture Pack for the PC version of Dragon Age II

This will add the option to enable higher detail replacements for most textures in game. A big difference will be noticed on level art especially.

Requirements:
Using high-resolution textures requires a graphics card with at least 1024MB video memory.
Most of the benefits from the Hi-resolution textures will only be seen if you are able to run the game in DirectX 11.

To manually download your new content on the PC:

1. Download the installer from the link below and run it.
   2. Run Dragon Age II.
   3. Open the Options menu.
   4. Select Video options.
   5. Check the "Hi-resolution textures" checkbox.

Note: In order to enable the "Very High" setting you will need a video card that supports DX11 and the latest drivers.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: High-Res Texture Pack for DA2 PC Released
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »
Not bad.. Not really sure why this wasn't just included with the game though. I mean it was made available a day before release day. Still, it's better than not having it at all.

For those interested, it's a 1.1GB download.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: Plenty of reviews rolling in...
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »
Play Asia canceled my preorder and it turned out to be a blessing. Fuck this watered down shit.

Some of the reviews have left me shocked. Losing the ability to equip party members is just mind boggling.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 06:30:54 PM by Pugnate »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »
This DAO -> DA2 transition looks very similar to another let-down from Bioware, in their past: BG2 -> NWN transition. Just, so much gameplay; Inventory w/ non-main character party members; and tactical stuff looks watered-down from its previous title - like like deja vu.

Though...I'm betting DA2's story doesn't suck nowhere as bad as NWN: Original. NWN: Original's story just was so rushed - namely on the ancient race storyline.

I'm so hoping DA2 Expansion or DA3 brings back the strategic-stuff WE really loved about DAO.

Call me when the price-drop hits DA2. Then, you can count me in.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 06:33:08 PM »
NWN may have been watered down from BG2 in some areas, but its focus was D&D multiplayer with friends, where it had a lot of depth, easily more than BG2. Initially it wasn't even supposed to have singleplayer.

This just feels rushed. You should see the DA2 forums.... people are disappointed. Even the hardcore fans are finding it hard to defend.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
Game informer gives the PC version a 7.75.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_ii/b/pc/archive/2011/03/08/dragon-age-ii-pc-review-a-port-caught-in-the-middle.aspx

Wow.
Yeah, I already got that posted in my reviews areas. :P Beat cha!

But, anyways, yeah - that review from GameInformer is just down-right brutal. Even Kevin Van Ord of GameSpot - who gave DAO PC a 9.5 - was more forgiving than that w/ DA2 PC w/ a score of 8.0.

EDIT:
NWN may have been watered down from BG2 in some areas, but its focus was D&D multiplayer with friends, where it had a lot of depth, easily more than BG2. Initially it wasn't even supposed to have singleplayer.

This just feels rushed. You should see the DA2 forums.... people are disappointed. Even the hardcore fans are finding it hard to defend.
Hell, NWN wasn't supposed to ship w/ a SP component!
Okay, I'm gonna go check out the DA2 Forums...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 09:28:11 PM »
I played through the demo again. The visual style is starting to grow on me because I've changed my perspective on it. I stopped thinking about it as a traditional fantasy and more of a comic book. Heck the Dark Spawn look more like Silver Age villains/henchmen, Flemeth has a full-on costume, characters' physical features are exaggerated, the game is a just shy of using speech bubbles!

The Dark Spawn in DA2 look suspiciously like the Skrull.

I also played the demo on PS3, it definitely has an appeal since the game feels a lot more like a hack'n'slash action adventure.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »
I enjoyed the original on the PS3.  I wonder how much the game has changed for the consoles.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »
The thing is that ME1 didn't work as a shooter because die rolls just don't work when you are playing a twitch based game. But die rolls work fine for hack n slash etc.

They basically completely changed ME2 into a third person action game and it was great.

Here they've tried to change it into some sort of a melee action game, but haven't done as well. The other problem is that they clearly started working on this a year before DA1 was complete and released. It feels obvious they rushed some of it as well, as a lot of the random encounters and stuff are in the same maps. Plus you don't really leave your main town!

Part of the fun of DA2 was leaving and exploring, like many other RPGS.

Also, they say the companions aren't nearly as memorable as they were in DA1, which also sucks.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2011, 03:13:35 AM »
Not even Isabella? She played a minor role in DAO too, and she was memorable for me! :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2011, 06:32:11 AM »
Yea the reviews say they get better but are pretty bland. The only review that was glowing was PC Gamer, but that magazine is highly suspect now. Any exclusive they review, they give at least 5-15 points over the norm.

Anyway, I still will get the game of course, but I hope they learn a few lessons here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
Yeah, what happened to PC Gamer?  They used to be so awesome.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »
I guess it is why they are the only magazine still running.

Every exclusive they've gotten, they've given it a score close to 95. Getting a 90+ score from them 10 years ago was difficult. I remember they didn't give that score for a few months at one point.

But yea, something is definitely going on. Jeff Green of CGW/GFW mag has alluded to it many times.

Desslock, gave DA1 91% I think, and that was a 4 page exclusive review. I guess he wasn't willing to sell out here. I've noticed that they will often hand an important exclusive review to a nobody, if it means that a senior editor is likely to be unfavorable.

Case in point is Spore. I bought the whole pack on steam and the game is utter trash. The act after the cell stage is unplayably dull.

PCG should have let Dan Stapleton (the strategy guy) do that review, but instead gave it to Kristen Salvatore, who gave it a 93%! The review was a four page love letter to Will Wright, and ended with a paragraph from Dan Stapleton, giving his thoughts, and absolutely murdering the game.

Other odd things were the Hell Gate: London exclusive review, where PCG's review read like the game deserved 75% yet the game got 89%. Greg Vederman, who it later turned out reviewed the game, wouldn't allow his name to be put at the end of it.

Quite suspicious, I have to say.

I remember Jeff Green hinting at PCG's strange behavior, but then he said, "Well, we were very adamant when it came to exclusives, and look where we ended up. Our magazine is dead. Those guys are still going... so who's to say we were right."

Yea, PC GAMER used to mean something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
G4TV Stuff on DA2
G4TV -> Dragon Age 2 - Pro's and Con's -> discussion from 26m58s until 48m6s.
G4TV -> Dragon Age 2 - "Loving Is Free!" on choice and freedom on your character's sexuality.

EDIT:
Brent Knowles formerly of Bioware:

Some of you might find this interesting...

For those who didn't know, Brent Knowles was the Lead Designer for DA: Origins and eventually left b/c of the changes planned for DA2; a game he and Bioware was working on that likely would never materialize; and the changes at Bioware Corp itself.

He was with Bioware for approximately 10 years - he left in 2009.

From Brent Knowles' Blog
Blog on how different Brent and Bioware has become over the years.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 09, 2011, 04:52:39 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »
Wow... just wow. All my suspicions were correct. They did start working on this shit a year before DA1 was released.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #142 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 04:04:28 PM »
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459280

Wow... looks like a lot of the levels are recycled, except they were so lazy that they didn't even bother to fix the maps.

Also, remember all those shitty HUD icons we thought were placeholder? Well, they aren't!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #143 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »
G4TV -> Sessler discusses more about Dragon Age 2.
Sessler says:
-> The 3 acts in the game feel self-contained and it doesn't link them together until like 40th hour or so...
-> The game's difficulty is all over the map - where a few battles require A LOT of strategy, many others you can just mow through like an action-game easily.
-> He think the conversation stuff is fantastic

EDIT:
IGN -> Their opinion on the DA2 DLC that's available now.

The Black Emporium DLC (Mabari).
If you purchased the game new, you'll automatically receive The Black Emporium, which includes a new area that shares the DLC's name and a Mabari warhound. I downloaded the content and loaded up a save about two-thirds of the way through the game.

What I found random was there's no explanation of how the dog gets there, the game just pretends like it was there all along. I wish there had been a quest of some sort like they had in Origins (The dogs were poisoned from the Darkspawn taint and you had to save them. As a reward you received one as a gift.) so it made more sense, but oh well.

The warhound is battle-ready, but he isn't a full-fledged party member like he was before. Instead the dog can be summoned via the Sustained Abilities tab; much like the Ranger could call upon animals in Origins.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dragon Age 2 - Update: DA2 Lead Mike Laidlaw tries to defend DA2
« Reply #145 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »
BluesNews -> Do EA Forum Bans Roll Over To Preventing Game Access?
BluesNews -> Does DA2 PC contain Securom?

EDIT:
Bluesnews -> "Crushbug" Derek French of Bioware speaks on Bluesnews forums about the DA2 DRM.

BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM

[Mar 11, 2011, 9:16 pm ET] - Share - Viewing Comments
We haven't heard from EA on the story about reports of SecuROM DRM in Dragon Age 2, but BioWare Live Team Technical Producer Derek "CrushBug" French made a couple of posts to our forums that discuss the matter. He says:

"Sorry, but there is some confusion on this. We use Sony Release Control which shares some functionality with other Sony products (SecuROM), but we do not use SecuROM for the DRM. Once the Sony Release Control check is passed, Release Control self-destructs, removing the Release Control wrapper and it is never used again. Game updates will not use Release Control because obviously the release date is passed. Additionally, installing the game and then any future game patch will also remove the Sony Release Control check and it will never run on your computer."

When asked about a running SecuROM process, he said: "There is no running process once it unwraps and self-destructs." In reply to a question about registry entries, he replies: "An inert registry entry that does nothing." Finally, when asked about files remaining on users' hard drives, he explains: "In a temp folder that is never referenced again. This part is sloppy and should be cleaned up, though. We will see about doing that in a patch."

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #146 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 12:25:42 AM »
Mike seems to be in damage control mode... but I LOVE those questions from Eurogamer. No holds barred.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #147 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 06:56:27 AM »
Mike seems to be in damage control mode... but I LOVE those questions from Eurogamer. No holds barred.

I've always liked Eurogamer. For the most part, they've always seemed to very opinionated and brutally honest. I might not agree w/ their reviews sometimes, but they don't hold back on punches. They've always seemed a lot more genuine than many of the other reviewers out there.

Yeah, Mike Laidlaw sounds like he's in damage control mode and/or delusional at times. How could he not expect 6 out of 10's, given the extensive amount of changes made from the original? They changed things that weren't even broken in the first place!

[Sarcastic line] I love how he went on saying it wasn't designed to appeal to a wide audience, but mentions things a wide audience would probably like about the game...

Eurogamer: One stronger criticism levelled at Dragon Age II was that it was designed by committee; it tried too hard to appeal too far and wide, and in doing so it lost a sense of self. What do you say to that?

Mike Laidlaw: Dragon Age II was designed by just the senior, core team. Honestly I don't feel it's a game that's been designed to appeal far and wide and so on. If it were, there were choices we could have made that would have taken it much, much further. We would have probably simplified down to a single character, maybe with companions; probably looked at doing some even deeper changes to inventory management, making sure that... You wouldn't want to confuse people with enchanting or anything complex like that.

Really what we wanted to do with the game, just talking about first-principles, was to look at elements of Origins that were over complex and needlessly so and see if we could pull those out in a clean way and didn't take out what I always saw as core elements of the experience: strong, character-driven stories, and the idea that the combat should be a party working together, especially at higher difficulty levels.

Dragon Age II certainly made some changes but holds very true to what us as a team sees as core tenets of the series. There's certainly refinement to do, there's learnings to be had, but I don't think it loses as much of the personality as it certainly could have.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #148 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 04:23:12 PM »
IGN -> Inon Zur felt Bioware and EA rushed his score to be finished for DA2.

Zur: Sure thing. I’m actually really anxious for the game right now, so I can pop it in and start playing. I’m really looking forward to see it. I know there are a few bugs that still need to be fixed. Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job. EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now. So I’d like to know if there are bugs, or if there’s anything we could patch or fix.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #149 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
Edge Magazine gave the game a 6.0!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 11:57:28 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #151 on: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 06:56:10 AM »
That review seemed a little unfair. It fixated on one flaw and docked too many points for it. Granted, DA:O had you travelling around Fereldan and not bound to one city, the reviewer quickly got bored of Kirkwall, what about the rest of the quality of the game?

Visually, I like the artistic style they've chosen for the game but I'm not too keen on the architecture and environments; very rudimentary design, castles look like they're made of sharp-edged wooden blocks; a lot of duplication or copy/pasted locations. Technically, some textures seem low-res, which are supposedly fixed by the hi-res texture pack.

Aside from that I'm liking the game so far. It still adheres to the typical gameplay I've come to expect from a Dragon Age game.

Speaking of gameplay, anyone know how I can equip swappable weapons? e.g. Daggers and a bow and switch on-the-fly with a button? Or did they remove them for some stupid reason?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 08:27:08 AM »
That review seemed a little unfair. It fixated on one flaw and docked too many points for it. Granted, DA:O had you travelling around Fereldan and not bound to one city, the reviewer quickly got bored of Kirkwall, what about the rest of the quality of the game?

Visually, I like the artistic style they've chosen for the game but I'm not too keen on the architecture and environments; very rudimentary design, castles look like they're made of sharp-edged wooden blocks; a lot of duplication or copy/pasted locations. Technically, some textures seem low-res, which are supposedly fixed by the hi-res texture pack.

Aside from that I'm liking the game so far. It still adheres to the typical gameplay I've come to expect from a Dragon Age game.

Speaking of gameplay, anyone know how I can equip swappable weapons? e.g. Daggers and a bow and switch on-the-fly with a button? Or did they remove them for some stupid reason?

AFAIK, weapon-set swapping on-the-fly was removed.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #153 on: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 08:18:54 PM »
Yea 6.0 is a bit harsh.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #154 on: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
I don't know what to make of this but according to the leader writer of both the Dragon Age games, the ignorant male dominated extremist society of the Qunari are based on Muslim extremists.

The muslim bible is called the Quran. Well, I guess they turned it around a bit to call them the Qunari.

Anyway, in Dragon Age 2, apparently you meet the the Qunari race who take part in terrorism to convert people to their holy book, the Qun.

Hmmm.........................

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #155 on: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
In both games I find it difficult to relate to the Qunari. I'm muslim, so I'm not sure where they drew the inspiration for the Qunari customs and general attitude as they are.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #156 on: Monday, March 14, 2011, 01:57:33 AM »
Well DA lore takes liberties of drawing alot of parallels from religions. The chantry is their version of Christianity. Does the game go out of it's way to point out that it is terrorism?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #157 on: Monday, March 14, 2011, 07:16:33 AM »
Ok, maybe it's just with my character's series of events but there's a lot of "gay" going on in the game. I haven't actively pursued any romances (straight or gay) but I keep getting hit on by gay NPC's, including a couple of my own party members. I don't mind the attention just starting to get a bit much at this point.

I'm also starting to see a parallel between "mages : templars" and "homosexuality : church," the kicker for me was how often the mages talk about being "born that way" and "they take you and make you a tranquil, removing all emotion..." It's just not quite as tactful as it was in the first game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #158 on: Monday, March 14, 2011, 10:32:16 AM »
hahaha there are several topics about the amount of gay in DA2.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #159 on: Monday, March 14, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »