Author Topic: Hearthstone Dungeon Run  (Read 1522 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Hearthstone Dungeon Run
« on: Thursday, December 07, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
No, not another running mobile game. Dungeon Run is a new single player game mode in Hearthstone that was released with the latest expansion. I just gave it a whirl and I think it's really cool.

First I have to say I had fallen off the Hearthstone bandwagon for basically this entire year. Since they changed their release model so no more real solo adventures it was all about running on the treadmill of earning new cards, and I just couldn't keep up anymore. The expansion before this one introduced a whole new mechanic with Quest cards that cost 1 mana, are always in your opening hand, and completing the quest gives you an awesome ability. The problem? They were legendary rarity, so unless you opened a ton of packs you weren't going to get one, let alone each quest for each class. It soured me on the game.

But now they added Dungeon Run and I think it'll be worth getting into. This mode is free and has zero card requirements. Doesn't matter what your collection looks like, you can play this and get to play with all sorts of cards. This mode is also very repeatable unlike the previous solo adventures where once you beat a boss you have little reason to every do so again.

So this mode takes after deck-building games like Dominion and Ascension. You start off selecting your class and you will be given a tiny deck of 10 cards.. You will then face a boss. They start off weak but get harder as you beat them. Every time you beat a boss you will get to choose cards to add to your deck and even a couple passive abilities before moving on to the next boss in line. This continues until you beat 8 bosses or lose a match.

What do you get for winning? Well...nothing. If you manage to complete a run with every class you'll earn a cardback. This is to play for fun, and it is fun. Each run will be different. Even though the initial 10 cards in your deck will be the same if you pick the same class, the bosses will be different, the card options to add to your deck will be different, so it should take a while before it gets boring.

If you fell off of Hearthstone like I did, now might be a good time to reinstall and check this mode out. No worries about rank, or PvP, or your card collection (or lack thereof).