Author Topic: The Witcher 2  (Read 51309 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: The Witcher 2 - Update: Tomasz Gop says Demon's Souls is an influence on TW2
« Reply #80 on: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 09:19:06 PM »
I just had a peek in my gmail spam folder and it appears thats where all my Witcher emails have been going. Grr. Anyway, this came through the other day:

CD Projekt RED has just set the date of its spring conference, which will take place on the 14th of April 2011 in Warsaw, Poland. With the release date of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings right around the corner, it is imperative for every fan of our series to be the witness of this event as it will provide you with a lot of useful information about the upcoming game.

The event will cover following topics:

- Minimum and recommended system requirements, as well as their effect on game's performance,

- Differences in specific language versions and censorship,

- Copy protection will be talked about in greater detail,

- Importing save-game data from the first part of The Witcher,

- REDengine details,

- And many more.

There is also a rumor that our friends at GOG.com might have prepared something very special for that day (not only in regards to The Witcher 2;). You should probably visit their website frequently to find out more.

The English part of the conference will be broadcasted live at facebook.com/thewitcher and the game's official website, www.thewitcher.com. The broadcast will start at 4:00 PM (GMT), make sure to tune in.
I'm interested to hear about the censorship, because I can see that being an issue in the US. Also the copy protection. I know GoG will be DRM free so if it comes down to it I'll get it there, but I would prefer a retail copy. If retail uses Steamworks or something then I'll bite the bullet and download from GoG. Head to a library and leech my ass off.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Witcher 2 - Update: Tomasz Gop says Demon's Souls is an influence on TW2
« Reply #81 on: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »
I'm tempted to grab it on Steam just to add to my existing library but I've already decided to grab it from GOG. It just feels right.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
Looks like retail and such are going to use SecuROM, one time internet activation. They said its just to prevent day 1 piracy, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it patched out fairly quickly. I imagine its just the disc check version like Fallout 3 and Borderlands used.

And there will be no censorship in any region. How awesome is that?

Already talking about free DLC for registering, plus downloadable language packs.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »
I'm tempted to grab it on Steam just to add to my existing library but I've already decided to grab it from GOG. It just feels right.

Plus, if you go w/ GOG - you get NO DRM period, you get a FREE PDF Art Book, extra Soundtrack Music, and select a free GOG-sold RPG Game from their list.

If you have some way of backing your installers up [most have this, I'd say] and a good Internet connection, I think GOG version's the way to go.

I really love CDP - these guys seem to get it, when it comes to making their fans happy w/ nice extras and features.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »
Yeah, I love these guys too and will be supporting this game.  I may even back out of other potential purchases to do so.  They handle their company well and really love their fans.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #85 on: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »
I want that "I've Seen The End...16 times" T-Shirt. :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Monday, April 18, 2011, 10:38:27 AM »
FAQ PDF!
WHAT DRM WILL THE WITCHER 2 HAVE?

The primary reason for including copy protection with internet activation is to address the biggest concern of our publishing and distribution partners, which is potential piracy before release. To do so, we must implement at least a minimal form of protection.

The Witcher 2 will be delivered to external manufacturing plants weeks before release. It is virtually impossible to guarantee absolute security for this entire time. Any leak of the code can gravely compromise the commercialization of the game, and we want to be sure that the first people to play it will be the fans and customers who are waiting for their official copies.

That’s why, together with our publishing and distributing partners, we decided to use copy protection. The Digital Premium Edition available from GOG.com will be the sole exception. Since it is our sister company, located in the same building, we are completely confident the code will be absolutely secure.

As a company and also as gamers ourselves, we’d like to stress that we are against any kind of copy protection that might affect the game experience or limit the usability of legally purchased copies. For this reason, we decided to implement a custom version that is the lightest and least intrusive possible. During installation, it will be necessary to connect to the Internet one time – but NEVER while playing. Similarly, the only time you need to have the disks in your drive is during installation.

While we are aware of some players’ associations with the SecuROM technology, the server infrastructure of its provider, SONY, gives us the highest level of confidence that registering legal copies will be problem-free. Every legal copy can be played on up to five machines at a time. What’s more, registrations can be revoked at any time; in effect, The Witcher 2 can be installed on unlimited number of machines. It will also be possible to make backups. Furthermore, we will make every effort to cooperate with our publishing and distribution partners to remove the DRM in a postrelease update.

WHY SHOULD I REGISTER MY COPY?
Registration of legally purchased copies is completely optional. To make the process as user-friendly as possible, the same key is used for both installation and registration.

Anyone who chooses to register will receive various bonuses (English and Polish language packs, free future DLC and more), and additional promotional materials such as bonus songs.

Registered users will also receive automatic notifications of updates via the game launcher. In addition, this will be the only way to update the product – patches will not be available as separate files, making it impossible to update illegal copies of the game in this manner.

WHY AND HOW SHOULD I USE MY SAVEGAMES FROM THE WITCHER?
The Witcher 2 will provide a complete story and game experience. It is not necessary to have played the original. As a bonus, those who did will have the option of importing their saved games. The opening of The Witcher 2 is, however, the same for everyone. Events and decisions from imported saves may be reflected later on, but only in ways that can happen anyway. 

If The Witcher is still installed on your hard drive, The Witcher 2 will automatically detect all saves after the last critical choice point, and either suggest the file to import, or allow you to choose from all the possible ones. 

Note: The preview build sent at the beginning of April 2011 did not include the full save game
system. The release version will let players save at any time PC gamers expect.

WHAT KIND OF PERFORMANCE AND HARDWARE ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?
The Witcher 2 is being developed for one platform, the PC. What this basically means, especially
together with our proprietary REDengine, is that we take advantage of the most advanced performance hardware. Our game doesn’t compromise its performance, gameplay, the interface or anything else to accommodate other platforms.

The REDengine is built so players with two-core processors and min-spec machines will receive a fully enjoyable experience. Even more importantly, anyone with the recommended 4 cores and/or hyperthreading will see a visible improvement. 6 cores? 8? Cool! The Witcher 2 will make good use of them all. The game will also scale exceptionally well. It has not only low, medium and high graphical settings, but also an ultra detail level… and even an “uber sampling” mode.

Note: The release version of the game will have an advanced graphical settings menu. It will also support the 16:9 aspect ratio and be playable in 16:10 (non-native) as well as 4:3 (letterbox). 

WILL THERE BE DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF THE WITCHER 2?
The Witcher 2 will have the same content worldwide. There will be no regional differences aside from the languages. And no censored versions – so no wondering about importing the game, nudity patches, etc.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #87 on: Monday, April 18, 2011, 12:03:03 PM »
Summarizing Idol's quoted stuff on TW2 FAQ...

GOG Version - NO DRM
NO DRM at all ONLY on GOG version;

Securom DRM Versions
Securom DRM w/ online activation w/ 5 installs allowed activated at once everywhere EXCEPT the GOG Version;
Revokes are allowed on Securom versions;
No disc needed in drive once activated for Securom versions;
They will try to work w/ their distribution and publishing partners to remove the DRM at a later said date.

Registering and Patches

Registering game online w/ CDP will get you extra content - Language Packs, Free DLC, Music, Other Promotional Stuff, etc etc.
Registered users will be told of new game updates via the game launcher;
Updates will be handled ONLY through the actual game launcher;
No separate patch files planned.

Graphical Bells & Whistles
Setting for graphics - Low, Medium, High, Ultra, Uber-Sampling;
Support for multi-core systems (2 cores, 4, 6, 8);
Different aspect ratios - 16:9, 16:10 (non-native), 4:3 (letterbox).

NO Censorship
NO censored content in any edition.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #88 on: Monday, April 18, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
Summarizing MysterD's quoted stuff on TW2 FAQ...

GOG Version - NO DRM

Securom DRM Versions

Registering and Patches

Graphical Bells & Whistles

NO Censorship.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #89 on: Monday, April 18, 2011, 01:31:48 PM »
Summarizing K-man's summary:

drm sux
rom
register
patches
has graphics
boobies

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Monday, April 18, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
Summarizing K-man's summary:

drm sux
rom
register
patches
has graphics
boobies

Wo0t

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 24, 2011, 08:53:10 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The Witcher 2
« Reply #93 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 02:12:12 AM »
Playing through the first again in anticipation and just got to Chapter 2 but after watching through the combat video there I'm amazed at the improvements.  Can't wait.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #94 on: Monday, April 25, 2011, 08:11:26 AM »
I'm still slowly making my way through this game.  I need to push on through.  Not sure how much I have left but I feel like I've been playing it for a long time.  Game is fun, despite some glaring flaws.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 03:39:09 PM »
StrategyInformer -> Chris Capel's impressions on TW2 after 10 hours or so of it.

Hands down, if The Witcher 2 wins no other award this year it certainly stands out as being the best looking RPG available. Characters are incredibly detailed, forests are lush and overgrown, rain punishes the ground, and that castle siege at the start had me just standing admiring it for a few minutes. Seeing the huge trebuchets properly in motion, launching rocks that smash into the castle’s walls from a good distance, is utterly awe-inspiring. And that’s only after ten minutes of game time!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #96 on: Friday, April 29, 2011, 01:46:03 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #97 on: Saturday, May 07, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
I've only watched two videos of The Witcher 2 so far. The first was the announcement trailer, and now this one. I don't have to see any more. Its a must buy already.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #98 on: Saturday, May 07, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »
I've only watched two videos of The Witcher 2 so far. The first was the announcement trailer, and now this one. I don't have to see any more. Its a must buy already.
Looks like CDP is taking some notes from PB's Gothic series and Risen series w/ the whole immersive "living breathing world and community" thing and doing some of their own evolution on it.

I'm betting - especially since Skyrim is also going for this - this might become even more commonplace in RPG games.

Great trailer, BTW.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: Saturday, May 07, 2011, 08:53:50 PM »
Playing through the first again in anticipation (since I bought it on the Steam xmas sale).  On the second act, and forgot how damn long it is.  Kinda hoping it's the longest, because otherwise I don't think I'll finish anywhere near the release of the second one.

Fucking great game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 11:12:28 AM »
The Witcher 2 is now available for pre-purchase and pre-download over at GOG.com!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 02:15:30 PM »
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 02:38:22 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 09:40:14 PM »
Man, I am so psyched for this!! I'm already visualizing the combat, anticipating the plot, and concocting potion formulas!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
The Witcher 2 is now available for pre-purchase and pre-download over at GOG.com!

Pre-loaded it from GOG last night.
Only took like an hour to DL for me.
I was surprised at how fast my DL went.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »
You downloaded ~9GB in 1 hour?! Dude, that's phenomenal!

It took nearly 2 hours for me and I have a 30Mbit connection. Either way, it's sitting ready to pounce on release.

I noticed the download was just shy of the complete size by about 100MB, with a segment of the download bar in purple; I think that might be some stuff they reserved for zero-day.

Oh, I also grabbed the free game! I went for Beyond Divinity since I already had Divine Divinity.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 10:53:24 PM »
9 GB in 1 hr = 2684354.56 bytes per second.  2.5 MB/sec = 20 mbps.  Sorry, I was bored.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »
I did some math and it would take me ~30 days, 24 hours a day with no breaks, to download 9GB.

So yeah, disc copy. Even though I would love to support GoG and get a DRM-free copy.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 05:03:16 AM »
9 GB in 1 hr = 2684354.56 bytes per second.  2.5 MB/sec = 20 mbps.  Sorry, I was bored.
My connection was fluctuating but it did indeed average ~2.5MB/sec.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
I did some math and it would take me ~30 days, 24 hours a day with no breaks, to download 9GB.

So yeah, disc copy. Even though I would love to support GoG and get a DRM-free copy.

Man.  I wish there was something we could do to get you into this century.  Isn't the lack of broadband a violation of your rights yet?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #109 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »
It would be if I lived in Finland.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #110 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 10:54:29 AM »
Time to look into property in Finland!

Regarding download speeds, I've been playing with Steam's download server regions and apparently when I select my actual region (Middle East) I get crap download speed. So far the optimum choice is Singapore, giving me an effective 1-2MB/s.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #111 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »
@Idol
Got any friends that got a fast as Hell cable modem connection that ain't far from your house who'll let you sign into your GOG account on their PC and DL it?
Then, you could cut the game to disc(s)...

It's around 9.7 GB in total, BTW.
I'm just waiting for Monday or Tuesday, when they release the rest of the files.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #112 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 01:50:38 PM »
I could probably go to the library one day and download the whole thing with my netbook, but I'm going to wait for the game to be a bit cheaper anyway so its not like I'm in a rush to buy it. Besides, I'm going to finish the original game first before diving into the sequel.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »
I could probably go to the library one day and download the whole thing with my netbook, but I'm going to wait for the game to be a bit cheaper anyway so its not like I'm in a rush to buy it. Besides, I'm going to finish the original game first before diving into the sequel.

Hope you enjoy the original and finish it.
It's awesome. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #114 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #116 on: Friday, May 13, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Bluesnews -> About expansions and DLC's.

Expansions packs won't be FREE - this is the content you can buy.

ALL DLC's will be FREE.
First DLC is called "Troll Trouble" and should be out when the game drops.

Seriously, I love CD Projekt....  ;D
« Last Edit: Friday, May 13, 2011, 07:05:15 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Witcher 2 - ALL DLC's will be FREE; expansions will be content-to-buy
« Reply #117 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »
Witcher 2's countdown timer for its release (which was aiming for 7AM GMT) has been REMOVED on its website...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The Witcher 2 - ALL DLC's will be FREE; expansions will be content-to-buy
« Reply #119 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
I ended up pre-purchasing this from Steam, so there's no way I'll be able to finish the first game again before diving into it.  On one hand, a total shame because I have no idea where my original cleared save is (deleted in a reformat?).  On the other, it was starting to feel a bit like a chore.  I'll probably just read a plot recap or something.